Experiencing the Holy Spirit

Kuurt

Apr 14, 2015
✟7,611.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I have experienced it a few times. But, it doesn't seem to last but for a moment.

Some people say they feel like an adrenaline rush when they're filled with the Holy Spirit. And many people do get the urge to run around the church. The first time I experienced it I was standing and my body felt weightless. And I felt a swirling sensation in my stomach that rose up into my chest.

But, the other times I was either siting or laying down and I did feel as if my heart was speeded up. I guess you could compare it to an adrenaline rush. It also reminds me of what it feels like to have a panic attack though. Maybe that's why I resist it when it happens - because it feels scary - I don't know what's going to happen next. Fear creeps in.

I have some questions:

How long does the experience last for you when it happens?

How often does it happen?

Is there anything you've been able to do to bring about the experience?

What does it feel like for you?

Does it always feel the same?

Does it feel scary?

Did you resist it at first?

How did you get past that resistance or fear?

What becomes of the experience after you embrace it and move past any resistance or fear?

Thanks

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have experienced it a few times. But, it doesn't seem to last but for a moment.

Depends - not generally a long time. I refer to it as a "Burden" - to Interpret tongues, or to give prophesy, and sometimes when teaching, the Holy Spirit will give guidance, and words when needed. WHEN you perform the ministry HE wants, the "Burden" goes away, till next time.

Not real frequently any more, but generally when there's a NEED for ministry to be given (The PURPOSE of the filling of the Holy Spirit is primarily Ministry, but also worship and praise). Folks come into my office at work, and often the Spirit burdens me to pray with them, or gives me a word for them.

BE involved in the Ministry and Body life of the church, and in ministries outside the church. Why would you be "Anointed" - if you're not in a place where an "Anointing" is needed???

Similar to what you've indicated - a "Visceral rising" - and excitement - normally with a sense of what's to be done.

Generally quite similar - it's a "Unique" feeling that I understand to be HIS presence.

Does it feel scary?

ONLY in that He'll want me to DO something - whether I feel like it or not, and if it's "public Ministry" there's always the "Fear of the face of man" to contend with.

At First?? I still do now and again.

just "Man up" and DO IT!!!! What you'll find out is that "Personal COST" for being disobedient is ALWAYS HIGHER than what you FEAR may happen if you do it.

In one respect you'll learn MORE from failures than with successes.

What becomes of the experience after you embrace it and move past any resistance or fear?

Wouldn't know. When you've been used a LOT in ministry, naturally you get used to it, but each "Burdening" tends to be unique, and you're JUST as dependent on HIM for the Power, and the guidance after 1000 times, as you were the first time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Some people say they feel like an adrenaline rush when they're filled with the Holy Spirit. And many people do get the urge to run around the church. The first time I experienced it I was standing and my body felt weightless. And I felt a swirling sensation in my stomach that rose up into my chest.

But, the other times I was either siting or laying down and I did feel as if my heart was speeded up. I guess you could compare it to an adrenaline rush. It also reminds me of what it feels like to have a panic attack though. Maybe that's why I resist it when it happens - because it feels scary - I don't know what's going to happen next. Fear creeps in.

I have some questions:

Does it feel scary?

Thanks

Does this following verse help?

John 3:8 The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit."

Upvote 0

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Before I answer, please allow me to clarify that Christian faith should not be based upon feelings. We've all had seasons when the presence of God feels close and sometimes far away. Either way, we know God is true and Jesus is faithful.

Even if a person never consciously experienced the presence of the Holy Spirit, they would still be saved. This is an important fact to maintain.

I have some questions:

It depends on how long I press in in prayer or praise and worship. Anywhere from a few minutes to over an hour and more.

It happens nearly every time I praise and worship or pray, but my prayer life is pretty disciplined. I also pray in tongues alot (an hour or more each morning). Additionally, I will often cue up live praise and worship to praise and worship to from 24/7 Prayer With Worship - International House of Prayer

But in the past, even when I wasn't worshiping with ihop, when I would sing simply hymns to God in prayer and lift my hands I would experience the presence of the Holy Spirit (and still do).

Lifting holy hands, closing my eyes, praising and worshiping Him alone or with others, singing in the Spirit.

It's awesome. When I was a little kid I would get this excited feeling inside over Christmas. That kind of anticipation brings about warm fuzzy feelings. It can be like that. Sometimes, I get what is like a burning sensation in my chest (not bad like heartburn, just a sensation that's unique). Early in my walk with the Lord I asked Him what that was and He said, "That's me sprinkling my love upon your heart." I was so new to the Lord then I had no idea about the priesthood practices, I had no idea about how the blood of Jesus is really the love of Jesus poured out for us.

Other times, when I'm standing I can feel the Holy Spirit wash over me and it literally will make my body swing and sway, kinda like that floating feeling you've talked about.

There can be goosebumps, a few times I've felt a breeze indoor which had to be supernatural as there were no natural means a breeze would be present.

It's pretty consistent.

Does it feel scary?

At first, yes, because you're physical body is interacting with God's corporeal body. It's unique. It's kinda like dipping your toe into a vast ocean. If the water is chillier than your body temperature, meaning your body is not used to it, and let's face it, most Christians sadly are not used to experiencing the presence of God, you will want to pull back.

Additionally, if God chooses to reveal His holiness in the interaction it will convict you big-time! Experiencing the presence of God regularly is an excellent way to be motivated to walk uprightly before Him. He is holy!

See my answer above.

Now, yes. I remember praising and worshiping with a bunch of younger brothers in Christ at a midweek, morning service at a ministry school once. It was the beginning of the semester, and some of these guys knew the Lord, but they weren't walking uprightly. There were some sinful practices which needed to be broken off.

So we're worshiping God and the fire fell. You should have seen these guys hit the deck! It was beautiful and funny. But that's the power of God. That one 15 minute span of time did more to straighten these young men up than weeks of admonitions, teachings, and warnings against sin.

It's just beautiful It's what we were created to do: Worship God. If I go a day or more without spending a good amount of time in prayer and praise and worship, I begin to feel weak and malnourished. Mind you, I also spend at least a half-hour a day listening to the Bible. We need a balanced diet of the Word, prayer and praise and worship, and ministry.

This is how God planned for our spirit person to be strong and healthy.

Upvote 0