Loyal and obedient to its Master
Jun 25, 2003
Pennsylvania
✟18,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I'm actually living with a foreign International student next year. I'm a little nervous about it because I don't know what to expect.

I do know that because she is coming from another country, all she has been told to bring is enough clothes to last her two semesters. I have to supply everything else. Bed sheets for both of us, cookware (we are living in on-campus apartment housing) school supplies, TV, things like that. Some things will already be there for us like beds and other things.

I don't have a problem doing this, it's just tough when I've just been told I have to pay my entire year's bill on my own because I was denied any loans.

I'm anxious to meet her though. I don't know what country she is coming from however.

I was curious as to if anyone has had experiences living with international students? If so, what were yours like? Good or bad? There is a chance this exchange student might be from Germany since that's what I requested too.

soda

life's the adventure - got one yourself
Feb 7, 2005
✟13,378.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
ok. I've been an international student (from switzerland) in california myself. I used to live with 3 american room mates in a dorm on campus.

advices:
- If she doesn't speak english, you'll have to explain the same things again and again. best thing is you show her (the way, a picture, ..) speak in easy language. be patient!
- if you have problems with her attitude, her behaviour, let her know from the first time that you don't feel comfortable when she does that or that it's not polite to do that in the US. tell her your limits and make her respect them.
- give her an insight on your daily life. lots of things that are totally normal for you might be new to her!
- ask her about her culture, that way you might understand why she says, does or behaves like she does.
- if you're short of money. let her know that you're only a student and maybe if she's well off, she might help you pay everyday lifes stuff. go to second hand shops or lend things from your relatives.

all will go fine. you'll have a great time with her and you might make a very close new friend! ask god for guidance and you'll see it's gonna be an adventure!
greetings from far away switzerland
soda

Upvote 0

HiLaReE320

Jun 23, 2005
✟7,718.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Where is she coming from?? I love international students!! I led a very good friend of mine from Taiwan that I met through a conversational english program here (she was my partner) to Christ a few months back and had the pleasure of watching her be baptized on Easter. You have a great witnessing opportunity because people coming from other countries are interested in learning about American culture, along with its religion, which, good fo ryou, is Christianity (for the most part). Invite her to church and if your church has an international ministry, have her get involved in that.

Other than this, just pray pray pray for her and just love on her! Let Jesus shine! :)

Upvote 0

~BelovedDaughter~

Happily Married Momma!
Mar 15, 2005
Missouri
✟21,394.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This upcoming year, I will be living with 2 international girls. They both have been in school for awhile, and are used to living in the dorm apartments. I don't know either of them and I know one girl is from Colombia and the other one I'm unsure of. I just know her name. And I don't know if we'll be in contact at all, so I don't know what to bring to prevent there being too many tvs, etc.

Upvote 0

PuppyforChrist

Loyal and obedient to its Master
Jun 25, 2003
Pennsylvania
✟18,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Where is she coming from?? I love international students!! I led a very good friend of mine from Taiwan that I met through a conversational english program here (she was my partner) to Christ a few months back and had the pleasure of watching her be baptized on Easter. You have a great witnessing opportunity because people coming from other countries are interested in learning about American culture, along with its religion, which, good fo ryou, is Christianity (for the most part). Invite her to church and if your church has an international ministry, have her get involved in that.

Other than this, just pray pray pray for her and just love on her! Let Jesus shine! :)
Well I requested Germany but that doesn't mean I'll get someone from Germany. It depends. Not sure how it all works.

I am getting excited to meet her. I hope to invite her along to some Christian clubs I'm a part of and getting her to meet some of my friends since she probably won't know anyone. I won't know until the second week of August who she is or where she is coming from.

I just know I've been told by our director that I have to be a "hostess" to her and provide as much as I can. However I just ordered four out of my six books online about two hours ago and now I'm down almost $200.

I guess my other issue is bringing things from home. Like my parents absolutly forbid me to buy brand new things if we already have them at home. (Long story but we don't have a lot of money right now.)

I guess the thing is the furniture I have at home that my parents want me to take with me is really beat up and worn. I have a black chair with a broken/torn arm, a small table that's frayed and seems ready to break because it's so old and fragile, etc you get the idea. I don't want my roommate and I to have torn and worn things that are ready to break any second. It's humilating to me. Like, I'm providing my roommate with old, worn, half destroyed things. What kind of message does that send? You know what I mean?

I told my parents about this by the way but they don't care.

Any advice on this situation?

Upvote 0

EbonNelumbo

Hope is a waking dream-Aristotle
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
Oregon City, Oregon
Visit site
✟33,816.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
1) What kind of school are you going to?!

Any school I have been to/heard of will never FORCE to to pay for someone else's things...no matter the situation.

2) speak slowly.

I live with two internat'ls right now...one from Taiwan and one from Saudi Arabia. They are both geniuses and it make me feel inferior at times...while they will usually be homesick to a degree, they have worked VERY hard to get here, and will typically want to learn about things here, not simply relay details pertaining to everything from their home.

3) Habits.

I have noticed certain habits to be quite different in cultures. The Taiwanese man isn't accustomed to drinking with food, as there is a time and a place for both...some countries also think very low of women, and thus they will instruct and drill it into women they have a place, and men must enforce that...

4) Beliefs.

Even if your new roomie says prayers 5 times a day to Allah ( i think that's what the guy here does...) try to not be negative pertaining to her beliefs, but instead be as kind as you can and give her a reason to see Christ through you...also, if she happens to be Muslim, look at the dedication it takes to pray that many times, when a lot of people cannot even remember bedtimes prayers...another note, in case she is Muslim (I think it's only Muslim, might be wrong) NO PORK!!! It's highly offensive to those I know.

My guess is she will be from an Asian culture, if not the UK. It's my experience that women who come to the US for studies are typically from one of those countries.

Upvote 0