enroute
✟1,403,905.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Would you share with me the experiences you have in spending time in prayer. Here is one from me.

Spending time in prayer cured my loneliness . I am not often with others, but am never alone . I experience God's presence with me when I pray and all through my day.

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Unfortunately i have cut my prayer life down massively!

I used to say numerous prayers morning and night from a prayer book, plus, morning and evening prayers for the dead, plus a Rosary every day plus Divine Chaplet!

Now i just say Our Father, Glory Be, Fatima Prayer and a couple of others!!

I just thought that all those prayers were just empty words. Repetitive with no real meaning.

Matthew:

5 “And whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. 6 But whenever you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

7 “When you are praying, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Would you share with me the experiences you have in spending time in prayer. Here is one from me.

Spending time in prayer cured my loneliness . I am not often with others, but am never alone . I experience God's presence with me when I pray and all through my day.
Handmaid for Jesus:

What I do like especially is the consideration that at the right hand of the Father the Lord Jesus Himself 'ever lives to make intercession' for His people. Often when we talk about prayer we refer to our own prayers, but also it's very much the case that first and foremost the Lord Jesus constantly intercedes for us, and by His Spirit His people cry 'Abba, Father' (Romans 8).

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,403,905.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Unfortunately i have cut my prayer life down massively!

I used to say numerous prayers morning and night from a prayer book, plus, morning and evening prayers for the dead, plus a Rosary every day plus Divine Chaplet!

Now i just say Our Father, Glory Be, Fatima Prayer and a couple of others!!

I just thought that all those prayers were just empty words. Repetitive with no real meaning.

Matthew:

5 “And whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. 6 But whenever you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

7 “When you are praying, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

So, what experiences do you have when you commune with Our Father?

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,403,905.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Handmaid for Jesus:

What I do like especially is the consideration that at the right hand of the Father the Lord Jesus Himself 'ever lives to make intercession' for His people. Often when we talk about prayer we refer to our own prayers, but also it's very much the case that first and foremost the Lord Jesus constantly intercedes for us, and by His Spirit His people cry 'Abba, Father' (Romans 8).

Blessings.

Well, my intention with this thread is for edification of myself and others with personal testimony. I believe God interacts with us when we pray. As the hymn writer puts it. He walks with me and talks with me along the narrow way. I believe also in a personal two way relationship with our Father. I relate with Him and He relates with me. At least that has been my experience. That is what I am looking for in this thread. How do you experience God?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, my intention with this thread is for edification of myself and others with personal testimony. I believe God interacts with us when we pray. As the hymn writer puts it. He walks with me and talks with me along the narrow way. I believe also in a personal two way relationship with our Father. I relate with Him and He relates with me. At least that has been my experience. That is what I am looking for in this thread. How do you experience God?
Handmaid for Jesus: My experience is that it's wholesome to remember that our aspirations for God begin because God by His Spirit put them there, if we are born of Him. Romans 8 is such a moving chapter, and to be led by the Spirit of God, as Romans 8 says, is an essential experience in the exercise of prayer, which is both individual and collective.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Maybe a better title for this thread would be How Has Time In Prayer Edified Your Soul.
One aspect of the edification would be that prayer needs to be done in conjunction with Scripture reading and meditation. Bible reading without prayer risks not having the Spirit guide one's understanding; and prayer without Bible reading risks being taken up with one's own ideas instead of what God has clearly revealed in His Word. By God's grace, my wife and I seek to do both of them together, day by day. This makes for an edifying, wholesome time spent in the presence of God.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I can't really explain it, it's like He "feeds" me spiritually and calms me and fills me with His peace and joy when i am "still" before Him and i lift up my heart and mind and soul to Him and pour it all out, like David did. THere are times when i had to "chuckle" with Him about His silly daughter (me) getting spazzed about being late for work.....i had what i called "hurry sickness" and He stopped me dead in my tracks and asked me "What are you doing?"

I had to chuckle along with Him about how silly His daughter was.....

He reminds me to slow down in the most beautiful way:

butterflies.

They never ever hurry.

Neither did Jesus.

He's a GOOD Father and a GOOD Shepherd.

(i say this now, even as i'm wrestling with Him about something LOL!)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I can't really explain it, it's like He "feeds" me spiritually and calms me and fills me with His peace and joy when i am "still" before Him and i lift up my heart and mind and soul to Him and pour it all out, like David did. THere are times when i had to "chuckle" with Him about His silly daughter (me) getting spazzed about being late for work.....i had what i called "hurry sickness" and He stopped me dead in my tracks and asked me "What are you doing?"

butterflies.

They never ever hurry.

Neither did Jesus.

Psalm 46: "Be still, and know that I am GOD..." :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,403,905.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

butterflies.

They never ever hurry.

Neither did Jesus.

That is a beautiful testimony! :) Thank you for sharing it with us. How often we get in a big hurry when He is saying be still.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Psalm 46: "Be still, and know that I am GOD..." :)

Amen......and i had the HARDEST time slowing down and "being still".....but He is faithful...

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
That is a beautiful testimony! :) Thank you for sharing it with us. How often we get in a big hurry when He is saying be still.

Yes, i was ALWAYS in a hurry.....i also used to hyperventilate.....i wonder why? LOL!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,403,905.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
hahaaaa I could ask Him anything and He would anwer. I have ! Amen. Thank God He healed me of the panic/anxiety attacks....
Great! He is faithful.

I was taught not to question God. I am glad He delivered me from that. He revealed in prayer that I could ask Him anything and He would answer. That is when I began to develop a listening ear for the answer He would give. Once I was very sad because I was in a very difficult emotional spot. I was crying, and crying. In the middle of my crying, in my spirit He whispered very lovingly from Psalms 30 weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning. And His love enveloped me with peace. To know that He cared deeply for my pain caused me to weep more, but with thanksgiving and joy in the midst of my sorrow.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Great! He is faithful.

I was taught not to question God. I am glad He delivered me from that. He revealed in prayer that I could ask Him anything and He would answer. That is when I began to develop a listening ear for the answer He would give. Once I was very sad because I was in a very difficult emotional spot. I was crying, and crying. In the middle of my crying, in my spirit He whispered very lovingly from Psalms 30 weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning. And His love enveloped me with peace. To know that He cared deeply for my pain caused me to weep more, but with thanksgiving and joy in the midst of my sorrow.

That's sooooo precious, that God taught you that's it's ok to question Him. As a matter of fact, He DELIGHTS in ALL of our sharings of our hearts with Him. And how you developed a "listening ear" is something i never thought about till you just mentioned it.

It reminds me of Mary, as she sat at Jesus feet...that was it! She had a "listening ear" and that is soooo very precious to our Father.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wish God would speak to me! I am in a terrible time of my life due to my personal problems. I pray and ask for guidance but i am totally lost and doomed for hell!
Antletems,
Since you greatly desire God to speak to you, you are NOT doomed for Hell. We can continue this conversation privately if you wish.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Wish God would speak to me! I am in a terrible time of my life due to my personal problems. I pray and ask for guidance but i am totally lost and doomed for hell!

I'm sorry...i've struggled with the same thing......would you mind if i prayed that God would intervene and mooooove as only He can in the midst of all that is weighing you down?

Upvote 0