✟8,052.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
chanterai said:
What does the Baptist sect have to say about demonic possession and exorcisms? Do Baptists practice exorcisms at all?

- Cheri E.

Yes, I believe this can be done.... HOWEVER...:

And when he came to his disciples, he saw a great multitude about them, and the scribes questioning with them. And straightway all the people, when they beheld him, were greatly amazed, and running to him saluted him. And he asked the scribes, What question ye with them? And one of the multitude answered and said, Master, I have brought unto thee my son, which hath a dumb spirit; And wheresoever he taketh him, he teareth him: and he foameth, and gnasheth with his teeth, and pineth away: and I spake to thy disciples that they should cast him out; and they could not. He answereth him, and saith, O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him unto me. And they brought him unto him: and when he saw him, straightway the spirit tore him; and he fell on the ground, and wallowed foaming. And he asked his father, How long is it ago since this came unto him? And he said, Of a child. And ofttimes it hath cast him into the fire, and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us. Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him. And the spirit cried, and rent him sore, and came out of him: and he was as one dead; insomuch that many said, He is dead. But Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted him up; and he arose. And when he was come into the house, his disciples asked him privately, Why could not we cast him out? And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting. (Mark 9:14-29 KJVR)

That is what must be done. If Prayer and Fasting isn't done first, you could hurt yourself!

See this...:

www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0066/0066_01.asp

Casting out Demon's is no Child's play. and I'd advise you not to go at it alone... Get someone who's strong in the Faith like a Pastor.

MP

:preach:

Upvote 0
D

Dmckay

Yes, Baptist Pastor's do perform exorcisms when it is warranted. As stated above, this is not something that just any believer ought to attempt to do. We don't see, or perhaps I should say recognize demonic possession here in the States because the pendulum has swung away from recognizing demonic powers. Whereas at one time, people were going overboard and attributing almost every illness, affliction or mental disorder to demons, now there almost has to be spectacular theatrical types displays of supernatural power before someone realizes that maybe a demon might be to blame.

I know of a case in Southern California where a nurse and a Doctor serving in a mental ward realized that they werre dealing with a man who was demon possessed. Both being Christians, but babes in the faith, claimed the power of the Blood of Christ and commanded the demon to leave the man. They did successfully exorcise that demon, and the patient was discharged. They didn't, however, explain to the man what had occurred. Fearing reprisal for talking about religion at the hospital they also failed to share the Gospel with this man before he was sent home. A few days later he was repossessed by several demons, the door not having been closed to them by his receiving Christ. He murdered his entire family in a horrible manner.

Upvote 0

MatthewPoole

Missionary Baptist Man.
Nov 22, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,052.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Dmckay said:
Yes, Baptist Pastor's do perform exorcisms when it is warranted. As stated above, this is not something that just any believer ought to attempt to do. We don't see, or perhaps I should say recognize demonic possession here in the States because the pendulum has swung away from recognizing demonic powers. Whereas at one time, people were going overboard and attributing almost every illness, affliction or mental disorder to demons, now there almost has to be spectacular theatrical types displays of supernatural power before someone realizes that maybe a demon might be to blame.

I know of a case in Southern California where a nurse and a Doctor serving in a mental ward realized that they werre dealing with a man who was demon possessed. Both being Christians, but babes in the faith, claimed the power of the Blood of Christ and commanded the demon to leave the man. They did successfully exorcise that demon, and the patient was discharged. They didn't, however, explain to the man what had occurred. Fearing reprisal for talking about religion at the hospital they also failed to share the Gospel with this man before he was sent home. A few days later he was repossessed by several demons, the door not having been closed to them by his receiving Christ. He murdered his entire family in a horrible manner.

Oh Man! That IS Sad! :eek: :cry: :(

Why it pays to have mature Christians involved.

MP

:preach:

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
chanterai said:
What does the Baptist sect have to say about demonic possession and exorcisms? Do Baptists practice exorcisms at all?

- Cheri E.

I certainly do believe that people can be possessed by demons, and that believers can exorcise them, by the will of the Holy Spirit. But I personally would not attempt to practice an exorcism, since I don't think I am currently advanced enough in the Christian faith to do so.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
chanterai said:

- Cheri E.

You may also want to check in with the Catholic and Orthodox church-they have lots of experience in this.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, there's no such thing as "The Baptist Church." In general, Baptist churches do not belong to any ecclesiastical authority. Each local church is fully autonomous, and determines its own doctrine. Sometimes, Baptist churches will be in communion with other churches which have similar doctrine. The Southern Baptist Church is one notable example. Another is the Baptist General Conference, of which my church is a member. But unlike the Roman Catholics, ELCA, LCMS, PCA, Anglican, and other such churches, there is no single governing authority over all the Baptist churches. Heck my church probably has more in common with Presbyterians than it does with certain Baptist churches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.