1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2. Please check out our two newest forums, the "Buy, Sell or Trade" (link ) forum in the Society Category, and the "Conspiracy Theories" (link) forum in our Discussion and Debate Category.

Exorcisms & Demonic Possession

Discussion in 'Baptists' started by chanterai, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chanterai

chanterai New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Baptist
    What does the Baptist sect have to say about demonic possession and exorcisms? Do Baptists practice exorcisms at all?

- Cheri E.

2. MatthewPoole

MatthewPoole Missionary Baptist Man.

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I believe this can be done.... HOWEVER...:

That is what must be done. If Prayer and Fasting isn't done first, you could hurt yourself!

See this...:

www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0066/0066_01.asp

Casting out Demon's is no Child's play. and I'd advise you not to go at it alone... Get someone who's strong in the Faith like a Pastor.

MP

:preach:

3. Dmckay

Dmckay Guest

Yes, Baptist Pastor's do perform exorcisms when it is warranted. As stated above, this is not something that just any believer ought to attempt to do. We don't see, or perhaps I should say recognize demonic possession here in the States because the pendulum has swung away from recognizing demonic powers. Whereas at one time, people were going overboard and attributing almost every illness, affliction or mental disorder to demons, now there almost has to be spectacular theatrical types displays of supernatural power before someone realizes that maybe a demon might be to blame.

I know of a case in Southern California where a nurse and a Doctor serving in a mental ward realized that they werre dealing with a man who was demon possessed. Both being Christians, but babes in the faith, claimed the power of the Blood of Christ and commanded the demon to leave the man. They did successfully exorcise that demon, and the patient was discharged. They didn't, however, explain to the man what had occurred. Fearing reprisal for talking about religion at the hospital they also failed to share the Gospel with this man before he was sent home. A few days later he was repossessed by several demons, the door not having been closed to them by his receiving Christ. He murdered his entire family in a horrible manner.

4. MatthewPoole

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Baptist

Oh Man! That IS Sad! :eek: :cry: :(

Why it pays to have mature Christians involved.

MP

:preach:

5. arunma

arunma Flaming Calvinist

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Calvinist
    I certainly do believe that people can be possessed by demons, and that believers can exorcise them, by the will of the Holy Spirit. But I personally would not attempt to practice an exorcism, since I don't think I am currently advanced enough in the Christian faith to do so.

6. MrJim

MrJim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    You may also want to check in with the Catholic and Orthodox church-they have lots of experience in this.

7. chanterai

chanterai New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for all your responses. :) I'd like to clear things up by saying that I never planned on performing exorcisms. I was only curious as to whether or not the Baptist Church recognized them.

- Cheri E.

8. arunma

arunma Flaming Calvinist

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Calvinist
    Well, there's no such thing as "The Baptist Church." In general, Baptist churches do not belong to any ecclesiastical authority. Each local church is fully autonomous, and determines its own doctrine. Sometimes, Baptist churches will be in communion with other churches which have similar doctrine. The Southern Baptist Church is one notable example. Another is the Baptist General Conference, of which my church is a member. But unlike the Roman Catholics, ELCA, LCMS, PCA, Anglican, and other such churches, there is no single governing authority over all the Baptist churches. Heck my church probably has more in common with Presbyterians than it does with certain Baptist churches.

9. MatthewPoole

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Baptist
    :sick:

10. arunma

arunma Flaming Calvinist

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Calvinist
    Agreed, Matthew. I'd probably trust the Anglicans before I would the Catholics. But in all honesty, I think that the Eastern Orthodox churches are quite a bit more theologically sound than the Roman Catholics.

11. MatthewPoole

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Baptist
    :sick: ^_^ ;)

12. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Happy July 4th!

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    CA-Conservatives
    Faith:
    Baptist
    For what I have known, Southern Baptists have never performed a denomic exorcism at all.
    Just for what I have known in my time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.