New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
They're in the upper working class limbo. Here's an example. One of my friends works for a company that provides insurance, but because it's a smaller company the insurance premium is about $700/month for a family plan with a $9,000 deductible and no dental coverage. He makes around $16/hour,

I wouldn't consider 16 an hour as upper working class, but I digress. I suppose that biggest issue is subsidies not being offered to people with bad company plans. It would actually be better for the company to drop all medical insurance.

Upvote 0

Illuminaughty

Drift and Doubt
May 18, 2012
✟20,609.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
How well would that go? :doh:

They can't even make a website work.
At a minum as well as the already successful and widely popular medicare program is currently going now. In matter of fact though we would we see the program improve if all Americans, and especially the 1%, received health insurance through that program. The 1% wouldn't want anyone messing up their healthcare anymore than you or I and the state usually tries not to anger them too much. There would be more than enough pressure on the politicians to keep it running smoothly. That isn't just a wild guess either. Simply take a look at some of the nations outside our own border who already have government funded universal health coverage like Canada, Japan, France, Israel, or nearly any other first world country.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't consider 16 an hour as upper working class, but I digress. I suppose that biggest issue is subsidies not being offered to people with bad company plans. It would actually be better for the company to drop all medical insurance.
Or to allow their employees to go on a private exchange with the amount as a subsidy.

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I've spoken to a few people who can't. They're in the upper working class limbo. Here's an example. One of my friends works for a company that provides insurance, but because it's a smaller company the insurance premium is about $700/month for a family plan with a $9,000 deductible and no dental coverage. He makes around $16/hour, so $700/month is just not an amount he can afford to hand over every month. So up until this point, he has simply opted out of coverage when open enrollment came around and prayed for the best. It's not a fun position to be in, but it's one many in the working class find themselves in, even when their employer offers an insurance package.

Because his employer at least offers insurance coverage, he doesn't qualify for the subsidies. He has looked at the exchanges, but hasn't found anything that comes out better than what his employer already offers.

There's a (IMO very bad and should be repealed) regulation in the employer-offering-insurance affordability measure that leaves some families high and dry. The calculation as to whether the employer offers "affordable" insurance is based only on single employee coverage, even if the employee needs a family plan. It's ridiculous and stupid and leaves low wage earners out in the cold, just like the lack of Medicaid expansion is leaving some of the very poor out in the cold. It's one of 3 things about Obamacare I'd repeal if I could.

Upvote 0