Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
EXCELLENT podcast by Fr. Tom on what predestination and God's Providence truly is, and what our prayers contribute to these. (Yes, this was done in 2010, but while searching for one of his other podcasts, I came across this GEM). I recommend all those interested in this subject matter to take the time out to listen to his podcast (or read his transcript if you'd like. It's in the link). I listened while cleaning, which works so well!

Predestination - Speaking the Truth in Love - Ancient Faith Radio

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Great stuff, Dot. I think I'll have to re-listen to it again tomorrow because I sort of spaced out in a couple of parts, but I think Fr. Hopko gave a real thought provoking perspective on predestination.

I've always written the concept off as a uniquely Calvinist doctrine (and I'm no fan of Calvin whatsoever), but to hear Fr. Tom describing it in more Orthodox terms gives me pause. :)

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Great stuff, Dot. I think I'll have to re-listen to it again tomorrow because I sort of spaced out in a couple of parts, but I think Fr. Hopko gave a real thought provoking perspective on predestination.

I've always written the concept off as a uniquely Calvinist doctrine (and I'm no fan of Calvin whatsoever), but to hear Fr. Tom describing it in more Orthodox terms gives me pause. :)
Yes, he really explains it all in such detail, and in a clear and easy way for us to all understand. :)

You're welcome, Matt!

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
EXCELLENT podcast by Fr. Tom on what predestination and God's Providence truly is, and what our prayers contribute to these. (Yes, this was done in 2010, but while searching for one of his other podcasts, I came across this GEM). I recommend all those interested in this subject matter to take the time out to listen to his podcast (or read his transcript if you'd like. It's in the link). I listened while cleaning, which works so well!

Predestination - Speaking the Truth in Love - Ancient Faith Radio
That's really refreshing to see how the individual discussed the matter -as I wished it was explained to me like that when I was in highschool and my Reformed teachers would try to push Calvinism on me as they understood it. It may've aided them as well in articulation and a greater understanding of things. Thanks, Dot :)

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Fr Tom has a gift for putting things into laymen terms. I know some people are critical of him for this, but his ministry on AFR is not about academic theology it's about reaching the "everyday" people, not the academics with lot's of abbreviation after their names. I was reading an article by Richard Dawkins the other day (yeah I know, but still) and he gave some hilarious examples of "smart talk" in academic paper that was pure non-sense. His assertion was essentially that there some people in the academic world who really don't have anything new or interesting to say so they they hide that fact in circular reasoning and technical terms that really don't mean anything. I think sometimes that happens in theology too, where we have all of the technical words that get thrown around but without something behind them are really meaningless. We can talk about epistemology this and hermeneutics that in such a way that it sounds smart but is actually meaningless. Fr Tom does not do this, and so opens himself to criticism - because everyone can actually understand what he is saying:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums