lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
If no-one knows where the goalposts really are, how can they know if they have been moved?

You gave an example that would fit an organism becoming a new kind, and I provided a real life example that fit. Now, all of the sudden, you're backing away from your original example. You're moving the goalpost.

If you don't know what a kind is, you can't ask people to provide you an example of new kinds being made.

Just because I said they might be a different kind (and I was only expressing an opinion), doesn't mean that such change is leading anywhere down the evolutionary path that could lead to someone in the future declaring, "Hey fellow scientists, I've discovered that birds have evolved into [land-dwelling whales or whatever]"

So? A new kind is a new kind. You asked for a case of a new kind coming forth, you gave parameters, and those parameters were met.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm merely trying to determine whether or not the changes that are being reported are really leading anywhere in evolutionary terms or whether they are just dead-end slight variations, whether or not they would be classified as a different species, kind or whatever else you want to call them (note the original quote in post #72 if you will). I'm trying to find out what current evidence in the real world supports the evolutionary tree of life and not the Biblical model.
The existence of ring species completely destroys this model. We have a continuum of species that can all interbreed with their neighbors, who then loop around a plateau or mountain range or the like and at the other end can't interbreed. Which means they must be different kinds, right?

The world doesn't fit into nice, neat boxes like "kinds". Yes, this is also a problem with traditional definitions of "species" or "genus" as well, but separating the world into kinds like this leaves you completely unable to explain the facts present. It's very difficult to observe speciation in the short term, as in nature, it's necessarily a bit of a toss-up whether the species will actually split, or merge back together (this has happened in the past as well).

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟341,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm merely trying to determine whether or not the changes that are being reported are really leading anywhere in evolutionary terms or whether they are just dead-end slight variations, whether or not they would be classified as a different species, kind or whatever else you want to call them (note the original quote in post #72 if you will). I'm trying to find out what current evidence in the real world supports the evolutionary tree of life and not the Biblical model.
Well, you could just ask the experts whether the current evidence in the real world supports the evolutionary tree of life or not. If you do, we'll tell you that yes, the evidence overwhelmingly supports it. Especially the genetic evidence, which remains completely inexplicable under a model of special creation.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Cats and dogs share a common basal Carnivora ancestor. Carnivora and Perissodactyla (odd-toed ungulates) share a basal Laurasiatherian common ancestor. There is no mechanism preventing or evidence falsifying those relationships.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'd like to ask those who consider themselves experts on these matters to provide, let's say, a dozen examples of creatures alive today that are definitely, without doubt, evolving into a totally different kind of creature. If evolution is really true, it ought to be quite simple to provide such examples from all the masses of lifeforms on this planet. Can you do it?
Could you give us a hypothetical example of what you're asking for? If your question is based on a false premise, we need to know that and sort it out.

Any chance I can get an answer to my question @Not_By_Chance?

Upvote 0

whois

rational
Mar 7, 2015
✟3,336.00
Faith
Non-Denom
You totally did not answer his question.

And you still haven't answered mine. What's a kind? If I have two organisms, how do tell if they're the same kind or not?
i've seen you (and others) ask this question repeatedly in this thread.
let's see if i can help any.
definition: life comes from life, and that of its own kind.
dogs come from dogs.
cats come from cats.
tulips come from tulips.
humans come from humans.
bacteria come from bacteria.
so apparently the definition is wrong or the above are all different kinds.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
i've seen you (and others) ask this question repeatedly in this thread.
let's see if i can help any.

What does that mean, exactly?
dogs come from dogs.

Does that include wolves?

cats come from cats.

All cats? Tigers and housecats? What about extinct cats, like the Sabretooth?

tulips come from tulips.

There are quite a few species of tulips, so this really doesn't help.

humans come from humans.

Okay, so it's like species

There are, no joke, millions of species of bacteria.

There's no consistency, here.

so apparently the definition is wrong or the above are all different kinds.

If I had two organisms, how would you figure out if they're the same kind?

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
[...]

Um... You just compared a bunch of genera and families to a freakin' Domain. What the heck does "kind" mean?

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

That's less a definition than an axiomatic statement.

>> dogs come from dogs.

Dogs do come from dogs. In the future something else might come from them and from something else in the past came dogs.

>> cats come from cats.

Dogs and cats share a common Carnivora ancestor.

>> humans come from humans.

Is this skull "fully ape" or "fully human"?
Turkana Profiles.jpg

Upvote 0

whois

rational
Mar 7, 2015
✟3,336.00
Faith
Non-Denom
the definition i gave in post 89 is the best i can come up with.
another would be, whatever your parents are, then so are you.
so apparently "kinds" are things that can sexually mate with one another.
seeing as how complex biology is, there will no doubt be exceptions.
this one of the reasons i say life will resist all attempts to coherently classify it.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
the definition i gave in post 89 is the best i can come up with.
another would be, whatever your parents are, then so are you.
so apparently "kinds" are things that can sexually mate with one another.

If that's the case, new 'kinds' can be made, because we've observed animals changing to the point where they can no longer breed with their original population.

Yes. Like, for instance, every single organism that only reproduces asexually.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

whois

rational
Mar 7, 2015
✟3,336.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If that's the case, new 'kinds' can be made, because we've observed animals changing to the point where they can no longer breed with their original population.

Yes. Like, for instance, every single organism that only reproduces asexually.
do you have a better definition that fits all of life?
if not, then don't ridicule mine.

Upvote 0