1whirlwind

Jun 26, 2009
✟5,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The definition of an angel is...

• Angel ~ #4397 to despatch as a deputy; a messenger, spec. of God, i.e. an angel (also a prophet, priest or teacher): - ambassador, angel, king, messenger.
That gives a definition of what they do...their role, but what are they?
017.gif
The Lord and two angels visited Abram and then....went on to see Lot in Sodom and Gomorrah.
105.gif

• Genesis 18:1-3 And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day; And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground, And said, "My LORD, if now I have found favour in Thy sight, pass not away, I pray Thee fromThy servant:

18:4-5 Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree: And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts; after that ye shall pass on: for therefore are ye come to your servant." And they said, "So do, as thou hast said."

18:8 And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree, and they did eat.

18:22 And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD,

19:1 And there came two angels to Sodom at even; and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom: and Lot seeing them rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground; (3) And he pressed upon them greatly; and they turned in unto him, and entered into his house; and he made them a feast, and did bake unleavened bread, and they did eat.
We read of "angel's food" in [Psalms 78:25] and also learn that Christ ate after His resurrection.

Another interesting fact we are given above is that Lot "bowed himself" to the two angels. This is out of the ordinary for usually when a flesh man does that they are instructed otherwise. Abram bowed but the Lord was with them...here it was just the two angels. An example of this is shown below.

• Revelation 22:8-9 And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things. Then saith he unto me, "See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God."

Revelation 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, "See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."
Other Scripture that tells us about angels are....

• Revelation 21:17 And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred and forty and four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of the angel.

Hebrews 1:13-14 But to which of the angels said He at any time, "Sit on My right hand, until I make Thine enemies Thy footstool"? Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

Acts 1:9-10 And when He had spoken these things, while they beheld, He was taken up; and a cloud received Him out of their sight. And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as He went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;

Acts 12:13-15 And as Peter knocked at the door of the gate, a damsel came to hearken, named Rhoda. And when she knew Peter's voice, she opened not the gate for gladness, but ran in, and told how Peter stood before the gate. And they said unto her, "Thou art mad." But she constantly affirmed that it was even so. Then said they, "It is his angel."
Wings and halos? I couldn't find any mention of them.
icon_lol.gif
What we are being shown is that they are us...we are them. One in flesh and one in spirit...just as we will be at the end of our flesh life.

PassthePeace1

CARO CARDO SALUTIS
Jun 6, 2005
✟24,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
icon_lol.gif
What we are being shown is that they are us...we are them. One in flesh and one in spirit...just as we will be at the end of our flesh life.[/quote]

No, we are not...nor will we become angels. Angels are created spiritual beings created before man. Although they have no material body they can take on what appears to be human form, and participate in human activity such as eating.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
icon_lol.gif
What we are being shown is that they are us...we are them. One in flesh and one in spirit...just as we will be at the end of our flesh life.
I believe that angels do have wings, although I'm with you on the whole halo thing. But we are different from them.

No, we are not...nor will we become angels. Angels are created spiritual beings created before man. Although they have no material body they can take on what appears to be human form, and participate in human activity such as eating.

I disagree that angels have no physical form. The bible says that we are made just a little lower than they are.

Upvote 0

1whirlwind

Jun 26, 2009
✟5,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
icon_lol.gif

No, we are not...nor will we become angels. Angels are created spiritual beings created before man. Although they have no material body they can take on what appears to be human form, and participate in human activity such as eating.[/quote]

Please provide Scripture. :)

Upvote 0

PassthePeace1

CARO CARDO SALUTIS
Jun 6, 2005
✟24,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
From one of my favorite books in the bible.

Tobit Chapter 12

Raphael makes himself known.
English (Douay-Rheims)

1 Then Tobias called to him his son and said to him: What can we give to this holy man, that is come with thee? 2 Tobias answering, said to his father: Father, what wages shall we give him? or what can be worthy of his benefits? 3 He conducted me and brought me safe again, he received the money of Gabelus, he caused me to have my wife, and he chased from her the evil spirit, he gave joy to her parents, myself he delivered from being devoured by the fish, thee also he hath made to see the light of heaven, and we are filled with all good things through him. What can we give him sufficient for these things? 4 But I beseech thee, my father, to desire him, that he would vouchsafe to accept of one half of all things that have been brought. 5 So the father and the son calling him, took him aside: and began to desire him that he would vouchsafe to accept of half of all things that they had brought,
6 Then he said to them secretly, Bless ye the God of heaven, give glory to him in the sight of all that live, because he hath shown his mercy to you. 7 For it is good to hide the secret of a king: to reveal and confess the works of God. 8 Prayer is good with fasting and alms more than to lay up treasures of gold. 9 For alms delivereth from death, and the same is that which purgeth away sins, and maketh to find mercy and life everlasting. 10 But they that commit sin and iniquity, are enemies to their own soul. 11 I discover then the truth unto you, and I will not hide the secret from you. 12 When thou didst pray with tears, and didst bury the dead, and didst leave thy dinner, and hide the dead by day in thy house, and bury them by night, I offered thy prayer to the Lord. 13 And because thou wast acceptable to God, it was necessary that temptation should prove thee. 14 And now the Lord hath sent me to heal thee, and to deliver Sara thy son's wife from the devil. 15 For I am the angel Raphael, one of the seven, who stand before the Lord. 16 And when they had heard these things, they were troubled, and being seized with fear they fell upon the ground on their face. 17 And the angel said to them: Peace be to you, fear not. 18 For when I was with you, I was there by the will of God: bless ye him, and sing praises to him. 19 I seemed indeed to eat and to drink with you but I use an invisible meat and drink, which cannot be seen by men. 20 It is time therefore that I return to him that sent me: but bless ye God, and publish all his wonderful works. 21 And when he had said these things, he was taken from their sight, and they could see him no more. 22 Then they lying prostrate for three hours upon their face, blessed God, and rising up, they told all his wonderful works.

Colossians 116 For in him were all things created in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones, or dominations, or principalities, or powers. All things were created by him and in him. 17 And he is before all: and by him all things consist.

Hebrews 1 6 And again, when he bringeth in the first begotten into the world, he saith: And let all the angels of God adore him. 7 And to the angels indeed he saith: He that maketh his angels spirits and his ministers a flame of fire. 8 But to the Son: Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of justice is the sceptre of thy kingdom. 9 Thou hast loved justice and hated iniquity: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows. 10 And: Thou in the beginning, O Lord, didst found the earth: and the works of thy hands are the heavens. 11 They shall perish: but thou shalt continue: and they shall all grow old as a garment. 12 And as a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shalt be changed. But thou art the selfsame: and thy years shall not fail. 13 But to which of the angels said he at any time: Sit on my right hand, until I make thy enemies thy footstool? 14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent to minister for them who shall receive the inheritance of salvation?

God created angels as pure spirits to perpetually praise and serve Him. Satan and the other angels that rebelled against God were cast out from Heaven, and are at present the evil spirits of this world.

No where in scripture does it say that angels or evil spirits are disembodied human souls. When we experince our phyiscal death, our soul does depart from our body, and the body is subject to decay. However, our souls lack of a material body is only temparary....for we will recieve our glorified body at the Resurrection.

Upvote 0

PassthePeace1

CARO CARDO SALUTIS
Jun 6, 2005
✟24,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

You need to fix your quote tags, you have me quoting what you said.

Originally Posted by PassthePeace1
icon_lol.gif

I did not say that, you did. So could you please fix it...thanks

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
God created angels as pure spirits to perpetually praise and serve Him. Satan and the other angels that rebelled against God were cast out from Heaven, and are at present the evil spirits of this world.
So how do you reconcile that idea with the scripture that says we are made just a little lower than the angels. Or Isaiah who saw angels with wings, two to fly with, two to cover their faces, and two to cover their feet?

When we experince our phyiscal death, our soul does depart from our body, and the body is subject to decay. However, our souls lack of a material body is only temparary....for we will recieve our glorified body at the Resurrection.
Scripture to support this would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

PassthePeace1

CARO CARDO SALUTIS
Jun 6, 2005
✟24,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So how do you reconcile that idea with the scripture that says we are made just a little lower than the angels. Or Isaiah who saw angels with wings, two to fly with, two to cover their faces, and two to cover their feet?

I don't see how what I have said has to be reconciled with Sacred Scripture, because there is no conflict. We are made a litte lower that the angels, but how does that support your ideal that angels have a material body? If they did that would make them human.

In Isaiah's vision, he saw the angels in the form they took that represented them to his human eye. I don't see how that proves they are made of material matter, it's just a manifestation of them to help Isaiah's human eye and mind understand them in the vision.

Scripture to support this would be appreciated.

Scriptural support for what? That our natural death is a separation of the soul from the body, or are you wanting scriptural support for the Resurrection? I'm puzzled, because both statements are pretty much Christianity 101 :confused:

Upvote 0

1whirlwind

Jun 26, 2009
✟5,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From one of my favorite books in the bible.

No where in scripture does it say that angels or evil spirits are disembodied human souls. When we experince our phyiscal death, our soul does depart from our body, and the body is subject to decay. However, our souls lack of a material body is only temparary....for we will recieve our glorified body at the Resurrection.

What do you see as that glorified body if not the angelic body?

Thank you for the Tobit reference but where do you see it telling us that angels and men are not the same creation?

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't see how what I have said has to be reconciled with Sacred Scripture, because there is no conflict. We are made a litte lower that the angels, but how does that support your ideal that angels have a material body? If they did that would make them human.
I figure that we can't be a little lower than them if we are completely different from them. The angelic beings wouldn't be human if they had a physical body. Being physical is not what makes us human.

In Isaiah's vision, he saw the angels in the form they took that represented them to his human eye. I don't see how that proves they are made of material matter, it's just a manifestation of them to help Isaiah's human eye and mind understand them in the vision.
Or, in the vision Isaiah simply saw what they looked like. I think at times we overrspiritualize things in the bible that are meant to be understood just as plainly as they are stated.

Scriptural support for what? That our natural death is a separation of the soul from the body, or are you wanting scriptural support for the Resurrection? I'm puzzled, because both statements are pretty much Christianity 101 :confused:
Please educate me then. Such a simple matter in Christianity should have a copious amount of scripture to support it shouldn't it? I'm only asking because I've yet to receive an answer from anyone. If you can point me in the direction that states that our bodies have an indwelling spirit that doesn't die, I'd appreciate it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums