Ex gentile? All must be Torah observant

mercy1061

Nov 26, 2011
✟18,724.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the SOP, all must be Torah observant. However, I am unsure if gentiles lose their identity in Yeshua, they may remain gentiles who obey Torah or possibly called proselytes. Abraham, whom I consider to be (arguably) the first jew, he was a gentile, he both the father of jews and gentiles.

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
(Ambassador hat on)
keep_calm_and_listen_to_an_ambassador_hat-rddf6a95d968c46ada5f842a414841ddc_v9wuh_8byvr_324.jpg

I would like to request that we all
images

The SOP has the attention of staff and is being worked on as we speak.
Thanks for your understanding!

Abassador hat off

Upvote 0

mercy1061

Nov 26, 2011
✟18,724.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
If the new rule is that we are not allowed to present our own MJ views, it doesn't seem right to bring the subject of the SOP up just to rub it in.
The purpose of this thread is not to discuss or debate the SOP, it is nonnegotiable, I agree 100 per cent. I was wondering if gentiles become Torah observant, are they no longer gentiles ( ex gentiles)?

Upvote 0

big macher

Jewish Believer
Oct 8, 2015
✟8,126.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
If the new rule is that we are not allowed to present our own MJ views, it doesn't seem right to bring the subject of the SOP up just to rub it in.

In this case OP agreed that all must be Torah observant with agrees with the purpose. Nothing in the purpose that is against the OP view that a gentile remains a gentile.

My view there's nothing wrong with a gentile keeping Torah but still remains gentile. The bottom line is we are all one in Christ. Being Jewish to me is sort of a nationality sort of.

The only issue I have is Gentiles stealing Jewish identity because Jewish indentity is important in the grand scheme; Romans 11.

Reactions: sahjimira
Upvote 0

sahjimira

God of miracles.. He saved ME!
Jul 29, 2015
Florida
✟18,595.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
[QUOTThat'srcy1061, post: 68783149, member: 297112"]I agree with the SOP, all must be Torah observant. However, I am unsure if gentiles lose their identity in Yeshua, they may remain gentiles who obey Torah or possibly called proselytes. Abraham, whom I consider to be (arguably) the first jew, he was a gentile, he both the father of jews and gentiles.[/QUOTE]
Hey! Thats pretty cool..I like it seeing I'm an x-gentile. Maybe we can call ourselves MXG it sure would b easier!

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The only issue I have is Gentiles stealing Jewish identity because Jewish indentity is important in the grand scheme; Romans 11.
It may sound funny, but that's the problem that most of us have with a lot of MJ arguments. ;)

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Can you elaborate?
Those of us who are not Messianic here.
We've always said that everyone should be free to practice his or her faith as is appropriate in their own eyes. However, we have expressed frustration at people wanting to be seen as Jews or to pass themselves off as Jewish in Jewish settings. There's no reason that a non-Jew should feel the need to be Jewish when they are not. Each person should be accepted as they are without feeling the need to take the Jewish identity (and, thus, to cancel out the uniqueness of the Jewish people).
You and I are in agreement.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
"Gentile" refers to someone who is a foreigner or heathen, which is no longer true of those who become believers (Ephesians 2:19). That doesn't mean Gentiles becomes Jews, just that the term no longer fits.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"Gentile" refers to someone who is a foreigner or heathen, which is no longer true of those who become believers (Ephesians 2:19). That doesn't mean Gentiles becomes Jews, just that the term no longer fits.
This is why I prefer the term "non-Jew" (אינו יהודי) rather than "Gentile" (גוי = τὶς ἐκ τῶν ἔθνων, which means "someone from the nations"). Non-Jews are fine just as they are and don't need to feel the need to become Jewish or to appear Jewish, even if they believe in keeping the Torah as they interpret it.

I think we're basically saying the same thing.

Upvote 0

sahjimira

God of miracles.. He saved ME!
Jul 29, 2015
Florida
✟18,595.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I call myself an MXG Messianic ex-gentile. I know gentile is also known as heathen and in my eyes
I tthink I was because I was involved with the occult and new age. I'm not Jewish and don't try to be. I believe the Torah. Scripture and anything else that's of God.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
This is why I prefer the term "non-Jew" (אינו יהודי) rather than "Gentile" (גוי = τὶς ἐκ τῶν ἔθνων, which means "someone from the nations"). Non-Jews are fine just as they are and don't need to feel the need to become Jewish or to appear Jewish, even if they believe in keeping the Torah as they interpret it.

Interesting Yonah! I will think about taking up your practice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I like "grafted into Israel", "joined to Israel", or "adopted into the covenant family of Israel" like the sojourner who chose to join himself to God's people.

I'm not Jewish, but I'm no longer a Gentile either.

Wasn't there a word like GER or something?

Ken Rank had a few posts on the different TNK words and their meanings.

As a Torahless Christian I had a family identity in Christ Jesus that included all those who believe in Jesus.

As a Torahblessed MJ with an understanding of the eternal covenant series (Abraham to Moses to Messiah), I now see myself in Yeshua as a covenant member of Hashem's covenant family: Jews, MJs, and Christians.

Jews (Abraham and his descendants) were the first eternal covenant family members, and others were adopted in by faith like Ruth, Rahab, the Exodus ger, and the believers in Yeshua.

I love, protect, defend, and take care of all people and living things, but as an MJ I now have an added sense of family relationship and allegiance to all Jews, MJs, and Christians.

Reactions: Mikhaela
Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"I'm not a Jew, but I'm no longer a Gentile either."
This seems really weird to me. I don't think there's a third option. You're either a Jew or not a Jew. A non-Jew can be sympathetic towards and feel close to Jews and Judaism, but a non-Jew is still a non-Jew. And that's not an insult.

Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
This seems really weird to me. I don't think there's a third option. You're either a Jew or not a Jew. A non-Jew can be sympathetic towards and feel close to Jews and Judaism, but a non-Jew is still a non-Jew. And that's not an insult.
After reading all your posts, I'd now call myself a non-Jew rather than a Gentile, because Gentile has an "unbeliever" type of association.

Reactions: yonah_mishael
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

I think "non-Jew" is better than "Gentile", but it is still a really broad term that includes 99.8% of the world's population, so it doesn't signify someone who was a Gentile, but is now a believer.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

I like the term 'Hebrew', personally.

Upvote 0