Evos will laugh, but God, believers understand He is always more evolved than us yes?

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

So I am thinking about Evolutionary principles and such and one of the main things they say is that there is no end point. This is all well and good but then they throw the baby out with the bathwater and they say "so God is irrelevant". Well the truth is, what we thought "God was" is irrelevant, but "what God is" is way relevant. Why?

God is more evolved than we could ever be. What does this mean? This means that genetic drift in the gene pool, is never more than He already expects, never more than He is capable of directing. If you are going to adapt something, He is already more adapted; if you are going to change form, He has already changed form more. There is no comfort in this, naturally, as it does nothing to allay the need to evolve and the suffering that entails, but it does mean that we can have confidence in the outcome.

This is something that is lacking in the Evolutionist camp. They want to say Evolution goes where it will, does what it will, that there is no rule that it follows, no higher power that it turns to. How mistaken that is. Do we know for example that a bear that grows extra claws was not guided by God to believe in the power of his ferocity? Do we know for another example that a flying possum didn't expand its wing capacity in faith that God would deliver him from trial by it? We do not.

So in fact, Evolution may be a window by which we are about to discover the hidden messages of God, in all of nature. The small caveat of course, is that we do not think it happens by accident. This means two things, in my opinion, one, we did not come from monkeys because God does not change his mind about his children, two, we are not destined for endless change because God does have a goal in mind. These two things set us completely apart from Evolutionists, and yet, if we believe that God evolves, we are still able to communicate with them.

The thing is this is naturally a presumption on scripture that when it says "God never changes" it means "the Evolution of God, from one power to the next, is fixed". This is a very strange statement, even to me (and I have been accused for whatever reason of a lot of strangeness). It suggests that God Himself is on a journey and we are struggling to catch up, to know what to expect from the next phase. Perhaps there is some truth to it, but for now, it is more than believers have ever had to deal with. The fact that the impetus for this change of world view is being imposed from the outside only makes this worse.

So we have it that now, not only do we not "know" God (as Paul taught), but the "God we do not know, is extensively unknown, from one manifestation to the next". Put in this light, it sounds incredible. It sounds as if God does not want to know His children, that He is leaving them in the dust of Evolutionary change. Until you consider that He is still leading His children and in fact, He is guiding them to respond to the next changes in the Evolutionary process - an upper hand in the survival stakes, if you will.

In a way this makes sense, after all, there is no selection pressure for God, how could He not be more advanced than us? If there is no selection pressure applying to you and everywhere around you things you want to live are dying, of course you are going to communicate with them how not to die. And if you communicate that then surely you know how not to die all the more. But what about the heart of the message?

Do we say Christ is evolving? I could go on but at this point I think you will have enough to say of your own. Suffice it to make clear that I have no idea what this means, all I have done is communicate my perception of the problem. The solutions may be many, but for me, the strangest thing is to say not only is the God I believe in changing without me, the thing He has given to me to sustain me, is changing without me. Don't you find that odd? What do you get out of it, after all?

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Insults against my intelligence in this instance only reflect that you are not as smart as you think you are.

If you actually look at my post, you will see I am suggesting that God has a predetermined number of phases, I am not suggesting that those phases change.

Rest assured though, if you are not able to explain your criticisms meaningfully, this thread was never meant for you in the first place.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

So I am thinking about Evolutionary principles and such and one of the main things they say is that there is no end point. This is all well and good but then they throw the baby out with the bathwater and they say "so God is irrelevant".
"They" who?

Upvote 0

Fascinated With God

Traditional Apostolic Methodist
Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
He is talking about scientists in general and biologists in particular. He does have a point, you are either playing dumb in this instance as a means of polemic attack, or you just aren't listening to him at all and can't put 2 and 2 together with regards to what he is saying because of intellectual bigotry and open contempt.

He is not speaking for himself alone, they all think that science is an atheistic ideology, and you are only sinking this impression deeper into their minds. You are not doing anything what-so-ever to combat it, you are just feeding it.

(There is that pronoun "they" again. Oh dear, that is *so* ambiguous, who could I *possibly* be referring to? :doh::D:kiss:)

Upvote 0

Fascinated With God

Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Gottservant, I think you make an excellent point. All living things change over time, only dead things remain static. So God is not static, He is a living God. As PreachTheTruth says, God can be perfect and yet change at the same time. But I wouldn't call it evolution because God is the alpha and the omega, so He is at all points in evolution simultaneously, which is what allows Him to know everyone so intimately, no matter what their state of spiritual evolution.

Christ as the manifest God rather than the transcendent cosmic nature of God, I believe did evolve through the course of the Gospels. The manifest God is God at a certain point in time, not all points at once. In human form God is subject at least to a certain extent, to human limitations. Jesus could become physically tired for example. Evolving is another unavoidable part of being human. Thus in one phase of his life he was either very quite or off journeying somewhere for 18 years, and then suddenly he bursts on the scene in Judea after going through a trial with the devil. Overcoming trials is part and parcel of evolution, both physical and spiritual, as is a sudden change in activity.

=================================================

I only have one objection to your post, which is your use of the word "believers". The Koran is full of the words believers and unbelievers. It goes on and on constantly about how terrible the unbelievers are and how terrible their fate will be, and how wonderful believers are and how wonderful their fate will be. But variations on the word belief appear only 45 times in the Bible, all in the New Testament. The Old Testament doesn't use any variation of the word belief at all. And many of the references actually say positive things about unbelievers, for example in 1 Corinthians 7:13 someone who is married to an unbeliever is commanded to stay with their unbelieving husband or wife, portraying them as good people despite their unbelief.

The Koran is of demonic origin, so it focuses on intellectual concepts and portrays the path to salvation as one of purely intellectual belief. The Bible uses the word belief much more sparingly because they are really talking about the heart, not the intellect. The Jews said nothing about belief at all, but talked about the heart extensively. Only Muslims and Christian Fundamentals and Evangelicals use the words believers and unbelievers often, no other religion or denomination.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
But I wouldn't call it evolution because God is the alpha and the omega, so He is at all points in evolution simultaneously, which is what allows Him to know everyone so intimately, no matter what their state of spiritual evolution.

I would agree that God is living and dynamic, not static.

But a more fundamental reason for not applying "evolution" to any changes in God is that God is not a population. God is one Being. And a population of one cannot evolve, because (biological) evolution is a population level process, in which certain variants in the population become more common and others rarer or even extinct. That does not describe God in a monotheistic faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
I would agree that God is living and dynamic, not static.

But a more fundamental reason for not applying "evolution" to any changes in God is that God is not a population. God is one Being. And a population of one cannot evolve, because (biological) evolution is a population level process, in which certain variants in the population become more common and others rarer or even extinct. That does not describe God in a monotheistic faith.

Ratio defines portent.

If there is a population with a ratio of even 1, then that individual can be said to have all the portentiousness of 1. This is not a trick, the statement people make when they say Evolution does not apply to individuals is complete nonsense.

Ratio defines portent.

There is no reason to think that an observation of a population is not specifically manifest in the individuals of that population, to say otherwise is actually "insane".

Upvote 0

Fascinated With God

Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
See Gluadys, your point is not more fundamental. Evolution can apply to an individual. Evolution is not just about biology and genetics, it is more fundamentally about change. God does not change because He is at all points in time and outside of time simultaneously. So we see His will change from moment to moment, but He is really broadcasting all answer to all problems throughout eternity, at every moment. That is the more fundamental point that I think Gottservant was trying to think out loud about.

Your argument is one of splitting hairs with Gott about what evolution really means. You'll notice that my comments on his thoughts incur no objection. It is a shame that the internet so strongly favors arguing with opposing ideas and so weakly favors communing of shared ideas. People only shared their ideas with the like minded if they share in arguing with opponents on the internet. It is very unlike how we would behave amongst each other if we met in person.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
See Gluadys, your point is not more fundamental. Evolution can apply to an individual. Evolution is not just about biology and genetics, it is more fundamentally about change.

You are equivocating different meanings of evolution. In biology evolution is a change in the distribution of varying traits across a population (or in a gene pool, which comes to the same thing). So there has to be a population with varying traits. No one individual can have two or three variants of the same trait at the same time.

Now, outside of biology, you are correct. When astronomers speak of stellar evolution they are referring to the changes each individual star goes through from the initial formation and igniting of the star until it dies out. When chemists speak of chemical evolution, they are referring to how simple molecules can become combined into large complex macromolecules and polymers.

These processes are processes of change in a different sense than biological evolution. Biological evolution is a process of change, but it is important to keep in mind that the entity which is changing is a population, not individuals who make up the population.

Since God (as conceived in monotheism) is not a population, it would be incorrect to refer to God evolving in anything like a biological sense.

Your argument is one of splitting hairs with Gott about what evolution really means.

"Evolution" really means different things in different contexts. Permitting equivocation of those different meanings leads to fuzzy thinking and misunderstanding.

If Gott wishes to clarify which meaning of "evolution" he is proposing to apply to God, that would be helpful. I am just saying it can't be biological (aka Darwinian) evolution which involves a selection of variant traits in a population.

Upvote 0

Fascinated With God

Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
No evolution does not mean such radically different things in different contexts, that is just typical intellectual hair splitting. Evolution means change, period. It means change in all contexts, no matter what.

The more important point is that God is at all states of change simultaneously. Your objection is based on nothing more than a technicality, claiming the word can't apply to God. Intellectuals like to object based on nothing more than technicalities, which is fine in science but meaningless in theology. Parsing language in a geeky way does not make for a solid foundation for an argument.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
No evolution does not mean such radically different things in different contexts, that is just typical intellectual hair splitting. Evolution means change, period. It means change in all contexts, no matter what.

The more important point is that God is at all states of change simultaneously. Your objection is based on nothing more than a technicality, claiming the word can't apply to God. Intellectuals like to object based on nothing more than technicalities, which is fine in science but meaningless in theology. Parsing language in a geeky way does not make for a solid foundation for an argument.

I don't know why glaudys is arguing context with you and not addressing my statement of definition, which clarifies the misunderstanding. But I am glad that you recognize it as a dissension with the normal understanding of context. In fact, I have frequently come upon this problem and only recently learned how to combat it. I am glad to see someone with a different point of view struggling with the same problem.

Ratio defines portent.

I will repeat it again.

The part reflects the whole.

Ratio defines portent.

There is no way to divorce an individual from its population, by simply adding the word "not". Valid uses of the word "not" are, the individual "is not" the population, or the individual "can not" replace the population, or the individual "and not" the population "can mutate spontaneously". Saying "the individual can be part of the population and not be considered evolved" is not valid. In fact, the latter is an anti-Christ and specifically designed to draw attention away from leadership that Believers see in Jesus, as it is used by Evolutionists who espouse godless atheism, which encourages them to concoct such abberations of evil principalities.

To deny portent from ratio, is to reject beauty and sense.

This is not valid.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
What did God evolve from?

This sounds like Mormonism, where God was once a man and became deity. THAT is evolution.

Congratulations. You are actually engaging with the subject.

I myself have no idea where to start, but the proposal of an insurrection from man to God is certainly a divine one. Does not Christ say "I am able to draw all men to myself" and how is He able to do this, but by portraying the desire of man to enact such an insurrection against the Devil? Even knowing that it is possible, man in his evil cannot comprehend it for anyone but Himself. That God can do it, and have other men believe it, is a testament to his Power.

However, this is a strictly linear transition from Earthly to Heavenly. I would suggest that Evolutionists would regard this as contemptible if not spurious, for its simplicity. But perhaps that is its true Power, that what man cannot evolve over millions of years (in his estimation) God can evolve in a single generation. This again is testament to His Name. But the question lingers, is that really what God wants us to believe? It seems so foreign?

I must credit you with your bravery in putting forward this idea, however much you may have doubted it. Certainly, I am glad you did not attempt to explain more than you felt comfortable with. Is there anything which you would add? Is there something about Evolution that is against this? It is hard to tell. Are we presuming upon God by stretching definitions of Him, which at least the Devil would argue, we already do not respect? I speak as a fool, that I may draw the conversation out.

Upvote 0