EVOLUTION - you know the Pope accepts it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackknight

Servant of God
Jan 21, 2009
Jackson, MI
Visit site
✟10,999.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Also, there is no need for mockery toward the Bishop of Rome as in "Infallible-ness the Pope" ... Does this type of address seek a serious response from Catholics? I doubt it. Pope's infallibility does not deal with his opinions either, but only ecclesiastical matters within Church of Rome.

The Pope is only infallible when he speaks on matters ex-cathedra and those statements have to agree with previously established Tradition.

The Catholic Church, just like the Orthodox Church, has never issued any dogma regarding the theory of evolution or creationism. Theistic evolution and creationism are both acceptable points of view, what we reject is the idea that the universe was created without God.

Upvote 0

HumbleSiPilot77

Senior Contributor
Jan 4, 2003
Arizona
✟12,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, not agreed. Evolution doesn't work like that.

You mean the theory of evolution doesn't work like that. We come to a fork in the road, which is the "common ancestor", and then apes go their own merry way, and we do on our own. I am indeed curious to find out where the next stop for this species is.

Upvote 0

HumbleSiPilot77

Senior Contributor
Jan 4, 2003
Arizona
✟12,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd even refine that a little more- the Pope is speaking infallibly when it pertains to matters of doctrine while saying that the statement is infallible.

The Pope is only infallible when he speaks on matters ex-cathedra and those statements have to agree with previously established Tradition.

The Catholic Church, just like the Orthodox Church, has never issued any dogma regarding the theory of evolution or creationism. Theistic evolution and creationism are both acceptable points of view, what we reject is the idea that the universe was created without God.

Further clarification in this matter makes it ironic for the poster who complained that "there was too much misinformation about atheism"... oh the irony. Pot kettle.

Upvote 0

HumbleSiPilot77

Senior Contributor
Jan 4, 2003
Arizona
✟12,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I also notice that on here and Non-Christian religion that atheists frequently bring up the same arguments, "evolution" "big bang" theories, as these are supposed to be some concrete proof against the existence of Divine???

Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Pretty straightforward question, just not sure if many people here knew that. (I had no idea until reading a new book on the topic)

Turns out that the majority of senior clergy members and including His Infallible-ness the Pope recognize that evolution is a fact.

Evolution is a theory in the same vein as Einstein's theory of Relativity.

This issue is that most people who don't want to recognize it as a fact, are confusing theory with hypothesis.

The evidence for evolution is indeed overwhelming and abundant, which is why any reputable scientist supports that it is indeed a fact.

I can understand why some people who have been deliberately mislead would think otherwise. (some people think that humans evolved from monkeys, and then ask why there are still monkeys..hahaha).

Creationism is the position of the vocal minority. Most Christians subscribe to evolutionary theory.

By the way, the remark about the Pope is completely unnecessary.

Upvote 0
F

freeport

Pretty straightforward question, just not sure if many people here knew that. (I had no idea until reading a new book on the topic)

Turns out that the majority of senior clergy members and including His Infallible-ness the Pope recognize that evolution is a fact.

This issue is that most people who don't want to recognize it as a fact, are confusing theory with hypothesis.

The evidence for evolution is indeed overwhelming and abundant, which is why any reputable scientist supports that it is indeed a fact.

I can understand why some people who have been deliberately mislead would think otherwise. (some people think that humans evolved from monkeys, and then ask why there are still monkeys..hahaha).

Evolution actually is a theory which deliberately misleads people.

Whether the Pope believes a matter or not does not matter at all -- everybody tends to trust in creation thinking creation is some sort of static thing which controls their life, not understanding creation is as a story of God or a dream of God.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A more likely theory is that monkeys have de-volved from human beings who have chosen to deny the existence of their Creator and wandered off into the darkness of unbelief.

IN CHRIST,
ephraim

This is a joke right ?

Upvote 0
B

bluelime2

Having a different 'interpretation' is not denying it's the truth. Believing in evolution is denying it's the truth.
When the pope can personally interpret the bible at will, (and reject what he doesn't like) he's disobeying it.

A christian obeys God which means treating the bible as the divine word of God. Not your own personal opinons that contradict it as the divine word of God.

We are not God. God is. Denial is not 'interpretation.' There's a BIG difference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HumbleSiPilot77

Senior Contributor
Jan 4, 2003
Arizona
✟12,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Evolution actually is a theory which deliberately misleads people.
Compelling atheist argument against that is gravitation is a theory also. But based on facts, it is known, but origins/causes are yet to be explained. No I do not believe in that comparison, evolution is indeed misleading, it assumes abiogenesis.

Upvote 0

InTheCloud

Veteran
May 9, 2007
Planet Earth
✟12,597.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If they don't believe the Bible, then how do you know they're Christians?

Last time I checked being a Christian is more about accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior.
Not to adscribe to a literalist interpretation of a certain, late addition passage of Genesis. I know good Christian that believe in a literal 7 days creation, I know good Christians that thing evolution and modern science got it right in saying how God actually did it.
The fundamentalism that saying, "if you do not accept a certain interpretation of the Bible, OUR interpretation" or you cannot be a Christians, no matter how much you love Jesus, might be putting the Bible and the local Pastor before Jesus.

BTW the person that formilated the BING BANG theory was a Catholic Priest, Monsignor Georges Lemaitre. In my profile photo he appears side by side with Einstein.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Bible is so subtle...
Evolution is in the Bible.

Examples;
God formed man from dirt.
He took one product and evolved it into another.

The serpents lost its legs...
Ergo, the serpent did at first have legs.

God said His spirit was in man too long - so He shortened their lifespan.
Studies of bones found - show man lived quite a long healthy life at one time...about the time of the ancients [Genesis]

Well, if i felt the compulsion to seek more tidbits - i would.
But for now, just throwing in bits.

One other thing...something i repeat often but no one has commented on.
The first paragraph of the Bible says...
'The Spirit was stirring over the waters...'

Could that have been melting the ice age?
Was the 'waste and void' the past living creatures He found to be of no use??

And what does it mean in Revelation that a NEW Heaven and earth shall come to be..?

Anyway - science doesnt disprove the Bible, but it has been backing it up actually.
ITS just way subtle.

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I wouldn't say that the pope "accepts" or "endorses" evolution, just like I wouldn't say that he "accepts" or "endorses" creationism.

All that has been stated is that believing in theistic evolution (ie, God started things) is not contradictory to the faith. Accepting theistic evolution as a theory doesn't necessarily jeopardise one's salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Not contradictory to Catholicism, perhaps.

I have not read the entire thread, but I see that you are wearing a Calvinist icon. Do Calvinists take issue with evolution on the basis of predestination? (I am afraid that I do not know much about Calvinists at all :( )

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
"The Christian picture of the world is this, that the world in its details is the product of a long process of evolution but that at the most profound level it comes from the Logos. Thus it carries rationality within itself" (Cardinal Ratzinger, aka Pope Benedict XVI)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

um.. sorry that is incorrect :) the Pope never said that evolution is a fact. It's not Catholic doctrine or an article of faith. What he did say, is that Catholics are allowed to believe in theistic evolution, and this won't go against the faith as long as they believe Adam and Eve were real people, and the soul was made by God. Catholics are also free to not believe in evolution, if they so choose. God bless

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.