Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
You still haven't got it. When it comes to scripture, TEs don't draw any line between choosing what to believe and what to reject at all. We accept all of it, some as history, some as law, some as poetry, some as teaching, some as miracle stories, some as parables, some as apocalyptic imagery, some as prophecy, some as myth. None of it is rejected. We don't think any scripture is to be rejected on the basis of the literary form it is presented in.

You are the one who says only what is presented in the form of fact is to be accepted and all else rejected. We say don't reject any of it, factual or otherwise, because it is all inspired truth from God.

So, in other words, you don't know which parts are myth and which parts aren't :)

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, in other words, you don't know which parts are myth and which parts aren't :)
In other words, they make up their own religion based on what they're willing to believe.

Deuteronomy 4:2 "Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the Lord your God that I give you."

Proverbs 30: 5 “Every word of God is flawless; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. 6 Do not add to His words, or He will rebuke you and prove you a liar."

Psalms 119: 160 "All your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal."

Revelation 22: "18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll."

Jesus quoted from the Scriptures as 100% factual.

Mark 12: 24 Jesus replied, “Are you not in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God? 25 When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. 26 Now about the dead rising—have you not read in the Book of Moses, in the account of the burning bush, how God said to him, ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? 27 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living. You are badly mistaken!”

They may wish to invent doctrine and pass it off as Scriptural, but as for me, I will believe the Lord.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP

I don't think there are firm boundaries between myth, legend and history, though some parts of scripture are more clearly myth and some more clearly history with some debatable. There are certainly stories in which history and legend are interwoven.

The point, however, is that identifying any scriptural story as myth or legend is not grounds for rejecting it as inspired, truthful scripture.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In other words, they make up their own religion based on what they're willing to believe.

Deuteronomy 4:2 "Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the Lord your God that I give you."

Proverbs 30: 5 “Every word of God is flawless; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. 6 Do not add to His words, or He will rebuke you and prove you a liar."

Psalms 119: 160 "All your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal."

Revelation 22: "18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll."

Jesus quoted from the Scriptures as 100% factual.

Mark 12: 24 Jesus replied, “Are you not in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God? 25 When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. 26 Now about the dead rising—have you not read in the Book of Moses, in the account of the burning bush, how God said to him, ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? 27 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living. You are badly mistaken!”

They may wish to invent doctrine and pass it off as Scriptural, but as for me, I will believe the Lord.
Odd that you quote from Revelation as if it supports literalism when it is a book of symbols and allegory.

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Odd that you quote from Revelation as if it supports literalism when it is a book of symbols and allegory.
I don't see any symbolism in Revelation 22: 18-19, and neither do you.

Most of the Revelation is symbolism because it deals with the end of the world. God isn't going to put that information out there in simple English. Not even the angels know when the end will come. Why would He tell the unsaved how long they have before the judgment?

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see any symbolism in Revelation 22: 18-19, and neither do you.

Most of the Revelation is symbolism because it deals with the end of the world. God isn't going to put that information out there in simple English. Not even the angels know when the end will come. Why would He tell the unsaved how long they have before the judgment?
Rev 22:18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book,
19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

The verses are talking about the book of Revelation with all its symbolism and allegory.

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The verses are talking about the book of Revelation with all its symbolism and allegory.
Do you see that as profoundly different from Psalms 30: 5-6, which says the same thing about the Old Testament? The message is clear. Don't add or detract from the Scriptures. God intends for them to be preserved, though properly re-translated into current language.

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
mark wrote:
Originally Posted by Papias
mark, that's another of your frankenstein definitions, where you grab things from different sources, stitch them together, and try to pass them off as a definition. It may work in your own mind, but not in the real world.
That's the point of a definition, there is a definite meaning with precise details, essential meanings, literal and common usage meanings.

... which is what using a dictionary gives us.

What is commonly referred in Modernism as dogma is really just essential doctrine defined by the standards (aka canon) of the Christian faith.

psst. mark, you are making up definitions again.

Papias wrote:
Darwinism was a part of, 'the movement at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries that sought to adapt doctrine to the supposed requirements of modern thought'.
The purple part is something you made up and stitched in there. There is no dictionary that defines "Darwinism" that way.
That's a conclusion based on the definition of Modernism from the RCC.

No, that's a conclusion you have in your own mind. I've asked your for actually RCC support of that, and you've failed repeatedly to give it.

In order to realize the substantive basis for that connection you must have a standard by which the definition for Darwinism

I gave the actual definition of Darwinism. Do you finally agree that mining old writings and stitching them together is not a way to get a defintion?

The green part is part of the description of modernism, not Darwinism, which applies to philosophy, as the full description itself says.

mark, maybe instead of frankenmark descriptions, you could use, you know, a dictionary?

I know what these words mean, you know what they mean, that's not the issue.

Sure it is. You obviously don't know what the words mean when you make false claims like those in these posts of yours, and it's especially telling when you refuse to simply use the dictionary definitions I've supplied.

I know what the Scriptures and the canons of Christian theism are and so do you, that's not the problem. The problem is Modernism, Darwinism and Theistic Evolution want you to chase answers around in circles like chasing ghosts in the fog. Nothing is ever defined, everything is shrouded in an endless barrage of fallacious diversions.

empty insults in typical word salad.
Out of context? Tell me how it is out of context? The whole document supports theistic evolution, and you can't point to any part that doesn't, and you know it. Go ahead, point to some unrelated part and then claim it says something it doesn't - I can't say I'll surprised, though.
Then quote it in context don't run me in circles by begging the question of proof. What happens when I answer the question, you ask it again and again. Nothing is defined, nothing is ever conclusive, there is not standard by which to make a determination. It's called begging the question of proof and is a staple of Theistic Evolution, second only to the inevitable ad hominem. You can't appeal to an actual standard, scientific or theological, because when you do there is a proof for an alternative to an a priori assumption of exclusively naturalistic causes. The presuppositions of Darwinian dogma cannot allow that so it's buried in fallacious diversions.

As far as "inflammatory", have you read any of your posts?
There is a standard for determining a valid criticism on Christian Forums, it's called evidence.
non-sequiter. I pointed out that your posts are simply strings of inflammatory text (for ironic instance, see the two diatribes you just went on, above).

As far as evidence goes, you haven't posted relevant evidence. I hope you will though, it makes for better discussion.

OK, mark, now that you've copied, it, can I assume that you've read it? What part of it do you not understand?
First of all nothing substantive or coherent, it's a rhetorical circular questions punctuated with an inevitable ad hominem. It's a fallacious statement, an argument that never happened, because you have nothing substantive. You have nothing substantive because you have abandoned the standards of science and the canons of faith. Chase all the ghosts in the fog you like but don't try to bring me on one of your expeditions. I have actual standards and canons to appeal to.
Sigh. more empty insults.

Do you understand the part about "converging evidence"? How about "virtually certain"? How about "humanoid lineage"? Did you just happen to miss all those? When he says "humanOID", what you think is meant?
A text without a context is a pretext. 'Christian culture being attacked, men persuading themselves of what they do not wish to believe. Arguing that evolution, not fully proven, proves all things, such fictitious tenets repudiate all that is absolute and paved the way of the new erroneous philosophy.'
More unrelated word salad. I asked if you understood:

• the part about "converging evidence"?
  • How about "virtually certain"?
  • How about "humanoid lineage"?
  • When he says "humanOID", what you think is meant?
I'll wait for a response on those questions..........

Did you read his conclusions or just cherry pick his descriptions from their natural context. This practice of quoting out of context is yet another flawed argument that cannot stand on it's merit, it must be sustained by the ubiquitous ad hominem. He further warns, ' errors, it is clear, have crept in among certain of Our sons who are deceived by imprudent zeal for souls or by false science'.

Sure, he makes it abundantly clear that he is talking about atheistic versions of evolution. We could together fight those much more effectively if UCA deniers didn't insist on an untenable position.

There you go again, falsely equating two different things, like you did with "modernism" and "Darwinism" above, except this time with "TE" and "Modernism". You can't stop with making out your own definitions, can you?
I don't need to make up definitions, I have standards by which they can be determined whether you want to admit it or not.
Oh, OK, then you are going to start using dictionary defintions? Good.

Darwinism is defined by the Erasmus and Charles Darwin and Darwin's bulldog. Theistic evolution is nothing but Darwinism or evolutionists would be attacking them with the same zeal they do Creationism and Intelligent Design.

Darn. I thought you were going to use real defintions. My bad. I guess we're back to you making up definitions and ignoring the actual definitions & facts. I should have realized that by "standards" you meant "my own personal definitions".

If you think there are two different semantical terms being equivocated there is a simple remedy, define both and the difference will be obvious,

I did, several posts ago. The difference is and has been obvious.

the way I refuted the equivocations of evolution and Darwinism. All you really need to destroy an equivocation fallacy is the two definitions. I've never seen it fail.

So, where did you post the dictionary definition for darwinism?

Which, as I know you are well aware, lead to the dire warnings against the dangers of Modernist philosophies like and especially, Theistic Evolution.

Still falsely equating two different things. Sad to see.
mark, it sounds nothing like that - oh, except in your own mind, where you have contructed this idea that the reality of UCA is somehow a conspiracy against Christianity.
I never called the a priori assumption of universal common ancestry by exclusively naturalistic means, a conspiracy, I called it Darwinism. It's one long argument against Creation and Theistic Evolution is the same thing with a theistic label.

As many of us have pointed out repeatedly (and will continue to do as long as you make your baseless claims), UCA is a conclusion, not an a priori assumption, regardless of how much you wish it were.

Of course not, because UCA is a conclusion, not an assumption. That's been pointed out to you many times, and by others as well.
It's a universal, a priori assumption. That's why it's called universal in the first place.
Wow, now you are making things up about what the "universal" means. You don't get tired of this, I see.

Calling Darwinism something else doesn't change what it is.

You are right about that. Did you see the dictionary definition, or should I post it again?

Your begging the question of proof again. You have argued using this semantical shell game and you've been refuted every single time. Not because I'm such a great debater but because your arguments are hopelessly fallacious.

empty insults. You know mark, we may differ in that I don't seem to enjoy hurling insults.

And when you previously on this same thread accused me of that, I kindly asked for you to point out where I made an ad hominem attack, so that I could apologize, and you admitted that I did not do so on this thread. Can you point out a place now, or is this more of you empty insults?
I already have, every time you have resorted to them in this thread and in this post.
I looked, and I didn't see them. Could you please list the post number and quote were I insulted you or someone else ?

I clearly identify the ad hominems and asking circular questions doesn't absolve you from the fact that fallacious arguments are arguments that never happened. Like begging the question of proof, if it's a fallacious rhetorical device like the one you just used it's just dismissed.

Wow, that's nearly all the words in the hat! You missed "ghosts", however - maybe add that?

More empty insults. This section is especially funny since you have been avoiding the actual dictionary defintions again and again on this thread, and making up your own definitions.
Your arguments fell faster then any of the Theistic Evolutionist arguments I had to deal with on here. The reason is that you locked yourself into a standard, RCC doctrine and dogma. That's something no self respecting Theistic Evolutionist would ever do, just like they never admit or acknowledge definitions or standards of evidence. Because if they do the inverse logic is intuitively obvious, a null hypothesis emerges and Creation as history becomes a valid alternative to atheistic materialism. That's something the directors and producers of the Darwinian theater of the mind would never allow.
Oh yeah, "null". I forgot that one. More unrelated word salad. You could have avoided that by simply agreeing to use dictionary definitions, which is what the preceding statement was about.

Take care-

Papias

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Originally Posted by Papias
Since we know that the Holy Spirit is behind the writing of the gospel of Matthew, it cannot be in error. If it seems there is an error, it must be with our interpretation. We also know that the Holy Spirit, being also behind 1 Cr, would know if 1 Cr was symbolic, not literal, and could thus tell us about how to interpret 1 Cr by what is written in Mt. Since they both literally list the generations, and Mt clearly skips people, the Holy Spirit seems to be clearly telling us that the geneology in 1 Cr (and by necessity then in Mt) is figurative, and not literal, and hence that the Angican Bishop Ussher and YECs are in error in using it to establish a 6,000 year age for the earth.
There is nothing symbolic about genealogies, Matthew presents Jesus genealogy because the Messiah had to be from the House of David. There is one minor difficulty in the list from the time the Jews returned from Babylon which is easily resolved, something you should have done a long time ago. Dismissing it as symbolic is an absurdity that neither the RCC or any reasonable Christian scholarship would approve of. The age of the earth is irrelevant, the substantive content of the genealogy is clearly focused on historic lineage. That is about as obvious an exposition of the Scriptures gets and you miss that in Genesis which is why you fumbled it in Matthew.

Saying something is "symbolic" is certainly not "dismissing" it. Do you "dismiss" the book of revelation because it is symbolic? Or Jesus words when he speaks a parable? I hope not. The genealogy is clearly not simple history, both because Matthew openly alters it, and because, as you yourself say, it is intended to convey the deeper meaning of Jesus' royal status.

P. S. Taking your good advice from before, I've tried to straigten the columns. Do they look better?
The list is fine, a nice improvement I might add.

Thank you.

It's the treatment of the text that is flawed. Why don't you take a look around New Advent and see what the RCC does with this genealogy and get back to me.

Grace and peace,
Mark

First of all, the burden of proof is on the one making the claim. If you are going to claim that the RCC sees genealogies as ways to determine lengths of time, or that New Advent disagrees with me, then it's up to you to check.

Secondly, I have read New Advent, and my recollection is that they state many examples of why you can't use genealogies to estimate time. But, again, that's up to you to provide support if you are making that claim.

Thirdly, New Advent is usually right, but is not a Vatican approved site. That's why, if there were a disagreement between, say, NA and a statement by a Pope, the latter is more authoritative.

I'm glad you are looking to New Advent, at least. :liturgy:

In His name-

Papias

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. (2 Peter 1:20, 21)​

Theistic Evolution, a private interpretation of Scripture based on Darwinian naturalistic assumptions, calling Creation 'myth', 'symbol', 'parable', 'figurative' or anything other then a literal miracle.

Are you still pretending you have shown your equation in the Lexicons? No arguing in circles, I am just waiting for you to justify your claim day is defined by the equation "evening and morning equals one day"

I'm pretending that the literal meaning, AKA what it actually says, is what it actually means. While you are showing what it really means by denying what it actually says. :thumbsup: Your begging the question of proof on your hands and knees but you still have the audacity to be condescending.

Vintage, theistic evolutionist rhetoric.

'Assyrian' said:
heliocentrism showed the literal geocentric interpretations were wrong. 12

The Scriptures are altogether silent about the sun revolving around the earth or the earth revolving around the sun. Astronomers uniformly believed the sun revolved around the earth until the invention of the telescope, a fact you could only know if you actually cared about science. Galileo went to the Inquisition because he denied the majority opinion of the contemporary astronomers of his day, not because of what the Scriptures actually say. They do this whether it's the earth revolving around the sun or whether the word 'day' means 'day', denying the obvious is the bane of their rhetoric. Galileo's enemies who couldn't refute his proofs indicted him by twisting the Scriptures to mean something other then what they actually say, something worldly philosophers are obsessed with. That's one of the main reasons I don't believe in evolution as natural history, people really don't change much.

Mark Kennedy said:
Why was Galileo called before the Inquisition? The answer might surprise you because it had nothing to do with the Bible, at least that was Galileo's argument. I'll give you a hint, it involved a fictional Aristotelian named Simplicio. 15

Galileo argued that the Bible tells us how to get to heaven, not how the heavens work. The Roman Catholic Church officially pronounced that they alone interpret the Scriptures so Galileo was put under house arrest for insisting on the obvious. Whether it's Darwinism or Aristotelian Scholasticism the world is against God's revelation and Christian apologists stand Contra Mundum, 'against the world',

Mark Kennedy said:
You actually need a dictionary to define a day?

Day (yôm yome, יום ) : From an unused root meaning to be hot; a day (as the warm hours), whether literally (from sunrise to sunset, or from one sunset to the next), or figuratively (a space of time defined by an associated term), (often used adverbially). Genesis 1:5, 8, 13, 14, 16, 18, 19, 23, 31 (Strong's #H3117)

Day, a 24 hour period as defined by evening and morning in Genesis 1. (Brown-Driver-Briggs' Hebrew Definitions)​

It means day, it's defined as evening plus morning equals one day.

In response to the clear meaning of the direct quote, lexicon, concordance and dictionary definition:

Assyrian said:
Where is day defined as "evening plus morning equals one day"?

Sorry Mark none of those verse defines day as "evening plus morning equals one day". Neither does Strong's dictionary.

So provided with the full definitions, highlighting the exact wording you claim is not a part of the definitions:

Mark Kennedy said:
yôm (yome Strong's H3117 יום ) - From an unused root meaning to be hot; a day (as the warm hours), whether literally (from sunrise to sunset, or from one sunset to the next), or figuratively (a space of time defined by an associated term), (often used adverbially)​

Brown-Driver-Briggs' Hebrew Definitions יום:
1. day, time, year
a. day (as opposed to night)
b. day (24 hour period)​
1. as defined by evening and morning in Genesis 1
2. as a division of time 1b
c. a working day, a day's journey
d. days, lifetime (pl.)
e. time, period (general)
f. year
g. temporal references​
1. today
2. yesterday
3. tomorrow
Origin: from an unused root meaning to be hot​

And the evening and the morning were the first day. (Gen. 1:5)
And the evening and the morning were the second day. (Gen. 1:8)
And the evening and the morning were the third day. (Gen. 1:13)
And the evening and the morning were the fourth day. (Gen. 1:19)
And the evening and the morning were the fifth day. (Gen. 1:23)
And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. (Gen. 1:31)
And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made (Gen. 2:2)​

Evening plus morning equals one day, seven days equals one week, thus Creation Week.

None of that gives us the Creationist equation I was asking you about: "evening plus morning equals one day".

No equivocation here Mark, no 'wilful ignorance' no blindness, just pointing out you haven't answered my question yet.

Not that it was ever necessary to consult a dictionary definition, it was obvious from the text all along.

I think it's just common sense. Incidentally, whenever "day" is defined by 1, 2, 3, 4, etc., in Scripture, it is talking about a literal day.

Nothing common sense about it. Evening and morning (or more literally dawn) are short periods of twilight. They do not add up to 24 hours.

Just deny the obvious in circles because circular logic is substantive how?

Day---->evening/morning---Day 2------>evening/morning------> Day 3

That is still not the equation based definition of day Mark gave us

It's a direct quote, concordance, lexicon and dictionary definition, and plain common sense, but the passage and definitions don't mean what they say. Why? Because Assyrian gets to redefine the clear meaning of the text to mean something, anything, other then what it actually says. That's why!

You said it best:

Assyrian said:
There is no point in wanting to interpret the bible literally if you aren't willing to accept to what the writers are saying. 35

That is the whole argument, you won't accept the literal meaning because you don't want to accept what it says. There is a reason Creation is essential doctrine, it's because it's inextricably linked to salvation:

We will begin, then, with the creation of the world and with God its Maker, for the first fact that you must grasp is this: the renewal of creation has been wrought by the Self-same Word Who made it in the beginning. There is thus no inconsistency between creation and salvation for the One Father has employed the same Agent for both works, effecting the salvation of the world through the same Word Who made it in the beginning.​

Athanasius stood Contra Mundum ("against the world") in defense of the biblical doctrine of Christ

Understanding it isn't hard, you either believe it or you don't. From now on when you repeat the question I'll just refer you to this page, feel free to chase it in circles till you drop

Have a nice day :)
Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That's the point of a definition, there is a definite meaning with precise details, essential meanings, literal and common usage meanings.

... which is what using a dictionary gives us.

Indeed

Papias said:
Dar·win·ism
/ˈdɑr
thinsp.png
wəˌnɪz
thinsp.png
əm/
Show Spelled [dahr-wuh-niz-uh
thinsp.png
thinsp.png
m]
http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/Spell_pron_key.htmlShow IPA
noun the Darwinian theory that species originate by descent, with variation, from parent forms, through the natural selection of those individuals best adapted for the reproductive success of their kind.

Darwinism: Also called Darwinian theory. It originally included the broad concepts of transmutation of species or of evolution which gained general scientific acceptance when Charles Darwin published On the Origin of Species, including concepts which predated Darwin's theories, but subsequently referred to specific concepts of natural selection​

(Darwinism, Wikipedia)

While the term Darwinism had been used previously to refer to the work of Erasmus Darwin in the late 18th century, the term as understood today was introduced when Charles Darwin's 1859 book On the Origin of Species was reviewed by Thomas Henry Huxley in the April 1860 issue of the Westminster Review​

(§ 4. Darwin's Bulldog)

This is Darwinism from the Darwins themselves:

"ORGANIC LIFE beneath the shoreless waves
Was born and nurs'd in Ocean's pearly caves;
First forms minute, unseen by spheric glass,
Move on the mud, or pierce the watery mass;
These, as successive generations bloom
New powers acquire, and larger limbs assume;
Whence countless groups of vegetation spring,
And breathing realms of fin, and feet, and wing.​

(The Temple of Nature, By Erasmus Darwin)

All change in the organic, as well as in the inorganic world, being the result of law, and not of miraculous interposition​

(On the Origin of Species, By Charles Darwin)

The naturalistic assumptions of the Darwins and Darwinism is the essence of this worldview, they categorically rejected miracles which is something all modernists do.

psst. mark, you are making up definitions again.

Making up definitions from Wikipedia, Charles and Erasmus Darwin's own words and citing the man who coined the phrase in the first place. Yea, just pulled it out of my hat.

No, that's a conclusion you have in your own mind. I've asked your for actually RCC support of that, and you've failed repeatedly to give it.

We believe, then, that We have set forth with sufficient clearness the historical method of the Modernists. The philosopher leads the way, the historian follows, and then in due order come internal and textual criticism. And since it is characteristic of the first cause to communicate its virtue to secondary causes, it is quite clear that the criticism We are concerned with is an agnostic, immanentist, and evolutionist criticism.​
(Encyclical of Pope Pius X On the Doctrines of Modernists 1907)

We record what is to all known, and cannot be doubted by any, that God, on the sixth day of creation, having made man from the slime of the earth, and having breathed into his face the breath of life, gave him a companion, whom He miraculously took from the side of Adam when he was locked in sleep​
(Encyclical of Pope Leo XIII)

1. Christian culture being attacked on all sides
2. men easily persuade themselves in such matters that what they do not wish to believe is false or at least doubtful
5.Some imprudently and indiscreetly hold that evolution, which has not been fully proved even in the domain of natural sciences, explains the origin of all things,
6. Such fictitious tenets of evolution which repudiate all that is absolute, firm and immutable, have paved the way for the new erroneous philosophy​
(Humani Generis)

I gave the actual definition of Darwinism. Do you finally agree that mining old writings and stitching them together is not a way to get a defintion?

What part of the 'Darwin' in the term 'Darwinism' is too hard for you to comprehend?

Sure it is. You obviously don't know what the words mean when you make false claims like those in these posts of yours, and it's especially telling when you refuse to simply use the dictionary definitions I've supplied.

I refused no such thing, I've used them repeatedly, just not to the exclusion of the original source of Darwinism, Charles and Erasmus Darwin.

Then the inevitable ad hominem remarks that tell me you have nothing left:

non-sequiter. I pointed out that your posts are simply strings of inflammatory text (for ironic instance, see the two diatribes you just went on, above).
As far as evidence goes, you haven't posted relevant evidence. I hope you will though, it makes for better discussion.
Sigh. more empty insults.
More unrelated word salad. I asked if you understood:

Except for a few random words ripped from their context:

• the part about "converging evidence"?
  • How about "virtually certain"?
  • How about "humanoid lineage"?
  • When he says "humanOID", what you think is meant?
I'll wait for a response on those questions..........

Don't hold your breath, taking the words of the Pope out of context is against my religion.

Sure, he makes it abundantly clear that he is talking about atheistic versions of evolution. We could together fight those much more effectively if UCA deniers didn't insist on an untenable position.

Now he turns to the empty, Darwinian Theater of the mind, speaking to rows of empty seats, Papias dramatically proclaims nothing to no one.

Oh, OK, then you are going to start using dictionary defintions? Good.

Darn. I thought you were going to use real defintions. My bad. I guess we're back to you making up definitions and ignoring the actual definitions & facts. I should have realized that by "standards" you meant "my own personal definitions".

I did, several posts ago. The difference is and has been obvious.

So, where did you post the dictionary definition for darwinism?

Still falsely equating two different things. Sad to see.

The fallacious rhetoric echos through the empty theater, followed by silence.

As many of us have pointed out repeatedly (and will continue to do as long as you make your baseless claims), UCA is a conclusion, not an a priori assumption, regardless of how much you wish it were.

Universal Common Ancestry is an a priori assumption that all life is the result of natural law, not miraculous interposition. Which is the categorical rejection of God, as cause of anything, going all the way back to the Big Bang and you know it.

Wow, now you are making things up about what the "universal" means. You don't get tired of this, I see.

Universal means everything, what color do you want to make the definition this time? I suggest blue for this correction of something that's not a mistake, purple and orange are already in use.

You are right about that. Did you see the dictionary definition, or should I post it again?

Round around with the circular argument, weeeeeee....

empty insults. You know mark, we may differ in that I don't seem to enjoy hurling insults.

The inevitable ad hominem spam filler.

I looked, and I didn't see them. Could you please list the post number and quote were I insulted you or someone else ?

Ad hominem, circular argument combo.

Wow, that's nearly all the words in the hat! You missed "ghosts", however - maybe add that?

Oh yeah, "null". I forgot that one. More unrelated word salad. You could have avoided that by simply agreeing to use dictionary definitions, which is what the preceding statement was about.

That's what Theistic Evolution offers the Christian faith, fallacious rhetoric in place of the clear testimony of Scripture and real world definitions.

Indeed, the ghosts you chase in the fog are elusive. There is a reason for that, you can imagine anything you like but you can only understand the truth. Now go home so the janitor can sweep your fallacious confetti from the stage.

Have a nice day :wave:
Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you see that as profoundly different from Psalms 30: 5-6, which says the same thing about the Old Testament? The message is clear. Don't add or detract from the Scriptures. God intends for them to be preserved, though properly re-translated into current language.

Two thousand years of Church history and another Three thousand for the Hebrew Scriptures, nothing has changed significantly in all that time. There is nothing like this from antiquity attached to a living history, culture, religion, language and in the case of Israel, a national identity. Yet, he doesn't know why it's a bad idea to alter the testimony of Scripture.

Have to wonder why.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. (2 Peter 1:20, 21)​
Theistic Evolution, a private interpretation of Scripture based on Darwinian naturalistic assumptions, calling Creation 'myth', 'symbol', 'parable', 'figurative' or anything other then a literal miracle.
Still trying to conflate Peter's use of myth in verse 16 with his discussion about OT prophecy in v 20. And you still don't understand what the 'private interpretation' is talking about. Peter is saying the prophecy is not the result of the prophet's own ideas.

I'm pretending that the literal meaning, AKA what it actually says, is what it actually means. While you are showing what it really means by denying what it actually says. :thumbsup: Your begging the question of proof on your hands and knees but you still have the audacity to be condescending.

Vintage, theistic evolutionist rhetoric.
Except you haven't produced an Lexicons that actually say day is defined by the equation "evening and morning equals one day".

The Scriptures are altogether silent about the sun revolving around the earth or the earth revolving around the sun. Astronomers uniformly believed the sun revolved around the earth until the invention of the telescope, a fact you could only know if you actually cared about science. Galileo went to the Inquisition because he denied the majority opinion of the contemporary astronomers of his day, not because of what the Scriptures actually say. They do this whether it's the earth revolving around the sun or whether the word 'day' means 'day', denying the obvious is the bane of their rhetoric. Galileo's enemies who couldn't refute his proofs indicted him by twisting the Scriptures to mean something other then what they actually say, something worldly philosophers are obsessed with. That's one of the main reasons I don't believe in evolution as natural history, people really don't change much.
Galileo went on trial for heresy because he denied the majority and undisputed interpretation of church fathers and scholars throughout church history. Again you don't have much credibility insisting on a literal interpretation if you do not understand literal interpretation of passages like Joshua 10:12&13 and Eccl 1:5 by church fathers and how it describes the sun moving across the sky in the day time and travelling back to the place it rises at night.

Galileo argued that the Bible tells us how to get to heaven, not how the heavens work. The Roman Catholic Church officially pronounced that they alone interpret the Scriptures so Galileo was put under house arrest for insisting on the obvious. Whether it's Darwinism or Aristotelian Scholasticism the world is against God's revelation and Christian apologists stand Contra Mundum, 'against the world',
So you admit Galileo was put on trial for contradicting the churches traditional bible interpretation, not because he contradicted science.
The Galilean Library
the Council [of Trent] prohibits expounding the Scriptures contrary to the common agreement of the holy Fathers. And if Your Reverence would read not only the Fathers but also the commentaries of modern writers on Genesis, Psalms, Ecclesiastes, and Joshua, you would find that all agree in explaining (ad litteram) that the sun is in the heavens and moves swiftly around the earth, and that the earth is far from the heavens and stands immobile in the center of the universe.
Cardinal Bellarmine, 1615
Mark said:
You actually need a dictionary to define a day?
Day (yôm yome, יום ) : From an unused root meaning to be hot; a day (as the warm hours), whether literally (from sunrise to sunset, or from one sunset to the next), or figuratively (a space of time defined by an associated term), (often used adverbially). Genesis 1:5, 8, 13, 14, 16, 18, 19, 23, 31 (Strong's #H3117)

Day, a 24 hour period as defined by evening and morning in Genesis 1. (Brown-Driver-Briggs' Hebrew Definitions)​
It means day, it's defined as evening plus morning equals one day.
In response to the clear meaning of the direct quote, lexicon, concordance and dictionary definition:
Notice how the equation is added on by you and is in neither the Strong's nor the Brown-Driver-Briggs references?

So provided with the full definitions, highlighting the exact wording you claim is not a part of the definitions:
Just did.

Mark said:
yôm (yome Strong's H3117 יום ) - From an unused root meaning to be hot; a day (as the warm hours), whether literally (from sunrise to sunset, or from one sunset to the next), or figuratively (a space of time defined by an associated term), (often used adverbially)​
Brown-Driver-Briggs' Hebrew Definitions יום:
1. day, time, year
a. day (as opposed to night)
b. day (24 hour period)​
1. as defined by evening and morning in Genesis 1
2. as a division of time 1b
c. a working day, a day's journey
d. days, lifetime (pl.)
e. time, period (general)
f. year
g. temporal references​
1. today
2. yesterday
3. tomorrow
Origin: from an unused root meaning to be hot​
And the evening and the morning were the first day. (Gen. 1:5)
And the evening and the morning were the second day. (Gen. 1:8)
And the evening and the morning were the third day. (Gen. 1:13)
And the evening and the morning were the fourth day. (Gen. 1:19)
And the evening and the morning were the fifth day. (Gen. 1:23)
And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. (Gen. 1:31)
And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made (Gen. 2:2)
Evening plus morning equals one day, seven days equals one week, thus Creation Week.
As I pointed out the verses from Genesis are not part of the Brown-Driver-Briggs refernce, though you keep on posting them as though they were. I have also pointed out they from the King James Bible and a poor translation compared to modern versions.

Not that it was ever necessary to consult a dictionary definition, it was obvious from the text all along.
You are not saying a lot for literalism if you think your equation definition of day is the plain meaning of the text. You seem to read whatever your pet theories are into the text and assume it's the plain meaning all along. As a result you are unable to support your from the text and get upset all ad homy when challenged.

Just deny the obvious in circles because circular logic is substantive how?
Because I state plain facts that you and Achilles are unable to answer. So far neither you haven't been able to establish your claims about myth, private interpretation, or your equation based definition with a step by step exegesis of the text, just ad homs, handwaving and 'inextricably linked's.

It's a direct quote, concordance, lexicon and dictionary definition, and plain common sense, but the passage and definitions don't mean what they say. Why? Because Assyrian gets to redefine the clear meaning of the text to mean something, anything, other then what it actually says. That's why!
Give us some exegesis, show where it says it in the text and how it says it. Show us a lexicon with your equation. Don't just keep claiming it they it in the hope you can keep convincing yourself.

You said it best:
Assyrian said:
There is no point in wanting to interpret the bible literally if you aren't willing to accept to what the writers are saying. 35
Yes it is odd that TEs are so much better at recognising the plain meaning of a text than literalist. Perhaps it is because literalists have so much riding on what they want it to say. Or maybe TEs just have a greater respect for the text than literalists.

That is the whole argument, you won't accept the literal meaning because you don't want to accept what it says. There is a reason Creation is essential doctrine, it's because it's inextricably linked to salvation:
We will begin, then, with the creation of the world and with God its Maker, for the first fact that you must grasp is this: the renewal of creation has been wrought by the Self-same Word Who made it in the beginning. There is thus no inconsistency between creation and salvation for the One Father has employed the same Agent for both works, effecting the salvation of the world through the same Word Who made it in the beginning.​
Athanasius stood Contra Mundum ("against the world") in defense of the biblical doctrine of Christ
And you are still confusing literal and real, confusing God work of creation with the written narratives describing creation in Genesis. Athanasius saying that Jesus who saved us is the one who created the world, is not the same as saying the descriptions of creation in Genesis are literal. You won't get anywhere until you recognise the difference. But you refuse to even understand the problem I am pointing out.

Understanding it isn't hard, you either believe it or you don't. From now on when you repeat the question I'll just refer you to this page, feel free to chase it in circles till you drop

Have a nice day :)
Mark
Or you could actually address the points and not just pretend you have.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 30:5 For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.
6 As for me, I said in my prosperity, "I shall never be moved."

Sorry I don't see the connection with Rev 22:18&19. And I don't see how a warning in Revelation not to add or take away from this book of symbols and allegory, can be seen as an instruction to read the bible literally. If anything it should be a warning to Creationism of the high value God place on metaphor, parable, symbols and allegory.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Still trying to conflate Peter's use of myth in verse 16 with his discussion about OT prophecy in v 20. And you still don't understand what the 'private interpretation' is talking about. Peter is saying the prophecy is not the result of the prophet's own ideas.

I'm not the one conflating and confusing Scripture, I don't need to because I believe the Scriptures as written. The source of the Scriptures isn't human or natural, it's God and you know that, you just contradict, conflate and confuse the issue every chance you get, it's really all you do.

Except you haven't produced an Lexicons that actually say day is defined by the equation "evening and morning equals one day".

Day means Day Definitions

Galileo went on trial for heresy because he denied the majority and undisputed interpretation of church fathers and scholars throughout church history. Again you don't have much credibility insisting on a literal interpretation if you do not understand literal interpretation of passages like Joshua 10:12&13 and Eccl 1:5 by church fathers and how it describes the sun moving across the sky in the day time and travelling back to the place it rises at night.

He was there for running afoul to the Aristotelian status quo, to comparisons to Darwinian thought are inescapable. You don't know anything about history or the philosophy of science, it's always been more trouble then it was worth to you. All you think you have to do is contradict Christians who believe the Scriptures as written and you think that makes you some kind of an authority. The Darwinians are laughing at you and the Creationists, by and large, will have nothing to do with you.

Now I have you telling me what the exposition of the text was and I have no reason to trust a word you say. You can't get what I know to be fact right, why should I trust you with the delicate or the obscure? Unless you can confirm any shred of what you are pontificating about, there is no reason to take it seriously. I know what happened to Galileo, I don't think you have a clue.

So you admit Galileo was put on trial for contradicting the churches traditional bible interpretation, not because he contradicted science.
The Galilean Library
the Council [of Trent] prohibits expounding the Scriptures contrary to the common agreement of the holy Fathers. And if Your Reverence would read not only the Fathers but also the commentaries of modern writers on Genesis, Psalms, Ecclesiastes, and Joshua, you would find that all agree in explaining (ad litteram) that the sun is in the heavens and moves swiftly around the earth, and that the earth is far from the heavens and stands immobile in the center of the universe.
Cardinal Bellarmine, 1615
Notice how the equation is added on by you and is in neither the Strong's nor the Brown-Driver-Briggs references?

That had nothing to do with it, it's kind of like your arguments, boilerplate circular rationalizations of the irrelevant. Unlike the Aristotelian mechanics who had proposed ways of reforming and updating Aristotelian mechanics Galileo said to scrap it. At Piza the Catholic status quo was refuted and found themselves in an indefensible position so they resorted to a slanderous psuedo theological political end run. I've read extensively on the subject as well as the Protestant Reformation and the Scientific Revolution. The department chair back in Indianapolis was a philosophy of science major and we talked about history and philosophy for hours. I'm a Liberal Arts major, this is fish in a bucket for me. You don't think I'm going to put something out there in this forum that I'm not sure of do you?

You clearly don't have a clue, I know you don't or you wouldn't have taken the 'day' means 'day' bait. Once you sold out to it, this was over, you haven't been able to make a point since.

As I pointed out the verses from Genesis are not part of the Brown-Driver-Briggs refernce, though you keep on posting them as though they were. I have also pointed out they from the King James Bible and a poor translation compared to modern versions.

The only difference between the KJV and the so called 'modern translations' is Textus Recepticus. There's a little text variation but there isn't a scholar in Christiandom who is saying that it's a 'poor translation' .

You are not saying a lot for literalism if you think your equation definition of day is the plain meaning of the text. You seem to read whatever your pet theories are into the text and assume it's the plain meaning all along. As a result you are unable to support your from the text and get upset all ad homy when challenged.

No, everything you argue has you has the primary source. because it's pure undiluted opinion you assume that's how Scripture is interpreted. That's not how it works. The Scriptures are canon in their original, not in the translation and no lexicon is based on a translation, but you didn't know that. There isn't a dimes worth of difference between the manuscripts and the codex copies of Scripture, a little text variation, but nothing effecting events described or essential doctrine. You didn't know that either.

The reason I don't have to resort to ad hominem fallacies is because I know how to get back to the originals. Unlike you I have actually studied the Scriptures, history and the philosophy of science so what you think about the subject matter is of virtually no consequence.

Because I state plain facts that you and Achilles are unable to answer. So far neither you haven't been able to establish your claims about myth, private interpretation, or your equation based definition with a step by step exegesis of the text, just ad homs, handwaving and 'inextricably linked's.

Creation and salvation are inextricably linked, clutch phrases in circles are not going to change that. Your sinking deeper, this is the part where you arguments start breaking down irreparably. If you didn't sell out to the fallacious rhetoric in the first place you might have a chance of at least keeping it substantive. Better pull up before it sucks you down.

Give us some exegesis, show where it says it in the text and how it says it. Show us a lexicon with your equation. Don't just keep claiming it they it in the hope you can keep convincing yourself.

I've been convinced, I'm just exploring different aspects of the exegesis. Your the one arguing in circles and learning nothing in the process.

Yes it is odd that TEs are so much better at recognising the plain meaning of a text than literalist. Perhaps it is because literalists have so much riding on what they want it to say. Or maybe TEs just have a greater respect for the text than literalists.

I haven't seen a theistic evolutionist have a genuine insight or even attempt a valid theological point yet, which is certainly available, if you actually studied the Scriptures and the requisite history and philosophy. You don't because you think just because your an evolutionist that makes you better then Bible believing Christians. I find that so much more fascinating then a pile of dead bones and dirt.

And you are still confusing literal and real, confusing God work of creation with the written narratives describing creation in Genesis. Athanasius saying that Jesus who saved us is the one who created the world, is not the same as saying the descriptions of creation in Genesis are literal. You won't get anywhere until you recognise the difference. But you refuse to even understand the problem I am pointing out.

Ahhhhhhhh...so you did get the point, you understood the passage all along. Now let's consider if salvation is literal or figurative.

Or you could actually address the points and not just pretend you have.

I don't blame you, you are one of the worst on here but it's still not your fault. It would be different if I thought you actually understood the issues but you are remiss in the most rudimentary arguments, I don't think you even know what is being argued here.

I'm an evangelical dude, do you know what that means? It means I argue to and from the Scriptures, there is no way I'm going to be careless or allow an error into one of my expositions. Scientific literature I can take some liberties with but never the Scriptures and certainly not the original.

You think you can just mimic my arguments and they will work for you the same as they work for me, another critical mistake. There's nothing fallacious in my arguments and I deliberately use something I know is irrefutably true and I know you will deny because you think you must. You go for the bait every single time and for conscience sake I will even offer you an explanation for the trap and how to avoid it, you just ignore me which is priceless.

Your down to scratch arguing against the obvious, I didn't tell you to do it, I just set you up for it. As many times you go down that blind alley in the dark, your going to get mugged. I wouldn't do it so much if you didn't make it so darn easy.

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not the one conflating and confusing Scripture, I don't need to because I believe the Scriptures as written. The source of the Scriptures isn't human or natural, it's God and you know that, you just contradict, conflate and confuse the issue every chance you get, it's really all you do.
God inspiring scripture doesn't help you when you read things into the texts they don't say. You still need to be able to show your claims from scripture rather than just claim they are 'inextricably linked'.

'Day mean Day Definitions' don't help your claim day is
"defined as evening plus morning equals one day."
Are you going to back that claim up or admit you got it wrong? I could understand you dropping the claim and and ignoring my requests you back it up, but I don't know how you can keep pretending you answered it.

He was there for running afoul to the Aristotelian status quo, to comparisons to Darwinian thought are inescapable. You don't know anything about history or the philosophy of science, it's always been more trouble then it was worth to you. All you think you have to do is contradict Christians who believe the Scriptures as written and you think that makes you some kind of an authority. The Darwinians are laughing at you and the Creationists, by and large, will have nothing to do with you.
Galileo's laws of motion ran foul of the Aristotelian status quo, but he wasn't put on trial for it. Instead his mechanics were adopted by all the armies of Europe. His trial was for heresy.
Internet History Sourcebooks
The Crime of Galileo: Indictment and Abjuration of 1633
"We say, pronounce, sentence, and declare, that thou, the said Galileo, by the things deduced during this trial, and by thee confessed as above,hast rendered thyself vehemently suspected of heresy by this Holy Office, that is, of having believed and held a doctrine which is false, and contrary to the Holy Scriptures, to wit: that the Sun is the centre of the universe, and that it does not move from east to west, and that the Earth moves and is not the centre of the universe: and that an opinion may be held and defended as probable after having been declared and defined as contrary to Holy Scripture

Of course you can go on believing Galileo was tried for disagreeing with Aristotelian science if you want.

Now I have you telling me what the exposition of the text was and I have no reason to trust a word you say. You can't get what I know to be fact right, why should I trust you with the delicate or the obscure? Unless you can confirm any shred of what you are pontificating about, there is no reason to take it seriously. I know what happened to Galileo, I don't think you have a clue.
Since I have shown you Galileo was tried for heresy and contradicting scripture, which you 'knew' was wrong, perhaps you could pay a bit more attention to what I have said about the literal meaning of Joshua and Ecclesiastes, especially since, as the quote from Cardinal Bellarmine pointed out the literal interpretation was the common agreement of Church Fathers and commentaries up until then.

That had nothing to do with it, it's kind of like your arguments, boilerplate circular rationalizations of the irrelevant. Unlike the Aristotelian mechanics who had proposed ways of reforming and updating Aristotelian mechanics Galileo said to scrap it. At Piza the Catholic status quo was refuted and found themselves in an indefensible position so they resorted to a slanderous psuedo theological political end run. I've read extensively on the subject as well as the Protestant Reformation and the Scientific Revolution. The department chair back in Indianapolis was a philosophy of science major and we talked about history and philosophy for hours. I'm a Liberal Arts major, this is fish in a bucket for me. You don't think I'm going to put something out there in this forum that I'm not sure of do you?
I have shown you how the Catholic Church was concerned about Galileo contradicting the literal interpretation of the bible in 1615, 18 years before his trial in 1633 and that his trial was for heresy and contradicting scripture. What evidence have you for your conspiracy theory that the Catholic Church wasn't really interested in scripture and the teaching of the Church Fathers and that it was all just a pretext because he annoyed the Aristotelian scientific establishment?

You clearly don't have a clue, I know you don't or you wouldn't have taken the 'day' means 'day' bait. Once you sold out to it, this was over, you haven't been able to make a point since.
I love it! Your utter humiliation over day being "defined as evening plus morning equals one day" was just 'bait'.

The only difference between the KJV and the so called 'modern translations' is Textus Recepticus. There's a little text variation but there isn't a scholar in Christiandom who is saying that it's a 'poor translation' .
I don't know your reason for bringing up textual variation or the Textus Recepticus which is NewTestament. I am talking about the Hebrew for Genesis 1 and the poor translation of Gen 1:5 etc in the KJV. And if it is such a good translation of the Hebrew, why don't modern translations follow the meaning of the KJV?

No, everything you argue has you has the primary source. because it's pure undiluted opinion you assume that's how Scripture is interpreted. That's not how it works. The Scriptures are canon in their original, not in the translation and no lexicon is based on a translation, but you didn't know that. There isn't a dimes worth of difference between the manuscripts and the codex copies of Scripture, a little text variation, but nothing effecting events described or essential doctrine. You didn't know that either.

The reason I don't have to resort to ad hominem fallacies is because I know how to get back to the originals. Unlike you I have actually studied the Scriptures, history and the philosophy of science so what you think about the subject matter is of virtually no consequence.
Odd you haven't been able to provide any primary sources other than yourself for day being "defined as evening plus morning equals one day." I do agree if resort to ad homs instead of substantive argument it is evidence you can't support your claims.

Creation and salvation are inextricably linked, clutch phrases in circles are not going to change that. Your sinking deeper, this is the part where you arguments start breaking down irreparably. If you didn't sell out to the fallacious rhetoric in the first place you might have a chance of at least keeping it substantive. Better pull up before it sucks you down.
I'd love to to have a substantive discussion with you, but you don't even try. I've asked you to provide evidence from Lexicons for "defined as evening plus morning equals one day" or give some exegesis for it from the text, but you don't. I've asked you to show from the text of Peter that he said the OT wasn't myth, or to justify your interpretation of 'private interpretation'. You haven't. And you still claim "Creation and salvation are inextricably linked" without addressing my point about the difference between literal and real, and between the actual creation and the creation narratives in Genesis. Again you refused to engage in any meaningful discussion

I've been convinced, I'm just exploring different aspects of the exegesis. Your the one arguing in circles and learning nothing in the process.
Saying you have been convinced is not much help if you can't articulate a meaningful argument, exegesis, or show a lexicon to support the idea.

I haven't seen a theistic evolutionist have a genuine insight or even attempt a valid theological point yet, which is certainly available, if you actually studied the Scriptures and the requisite history and philosophy. You don't because you think just because your an evolutionist that makes you better then Bible believing Christians. I find that so much more fascinating then a pile of dead bones and dirt.
No it's not because I accept evolution. I was actually surprised and saddened to see that literalists are so poor at reading the plain meaning of the text and are so willing to twist the text to make it fit what they think it should say.

Ahhhhhhhh...so you did get the point, you understood the passage all along. Now let's consider if salvation is literal or figurative.
I have understood your point all along, and spotted your confusion over literal and real, which you highlight again here asking ''if salvation is literal or figurative''. Salvation is real. The gospel accounts of the crucifixion and resurrection are literal, but the Good Shepherd and 'Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the word' are figurative, because in both those descriptions of salvation, shepherd and lamb are metaphors for Jesus who was neither sheep nor sheep minder.

I don't blame you, you are one of the worst on here but it's still not your fault. It would be different if I thought you actually understood the issues but you are remiss in the most rudimentary arguments, I don't think you even know what is being argued here.

I'm an evangelical dude, do you know what that means? It means I argue to and from the Scriptures, there is no way I'm going to be careless or allow an error into one of my expositions. Scientific literature I can take some liberties with but never the Scriptures and certainly not the original.

You think you can just mimic my arguments and they will work for you the same as they work for me, another critical mistake. There's nothing fallacious in my arguments and I deliberately use something I know is irrefutably true and I know you will deny because you think you must. You go for the bait every single time and for conscience sake I will even offer you an explanation for the trap and how to avoid it, you just ignore me which is priceless.

Your down to scratch arguing against the obvious, I didn't tell you to do it, I just set you up for it. As many times you go down that blind alley in the dark, your going to get mugged. I wouldn't do it so much if you didn't make it so darn easy.

Mark
If you came up with some real arguments I'd have a better chance at understanding them, instead you dodge and pretend to have presented a case, and I have to content myself with pointing that out. I would much prefer if you came up with real arguments then I could take them apart and you could try to defend yourself or point out where I had misunderstood your point. But you would have to make a real point for that to happen.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
God inspiring scripture doesn't help you when you read things into the texts they don't say. You still need to be able to show your claims from scripture rather than just claim they are 'inextricably linked'.

Yes I did but if you want to ignore the obvious that's your prerogative. Creation is an ex nihileo, de novo just as the Incarnation, Resurrection and new birth are all miracles by divine fiat but Theistic Evolutionists can just deny the clear testimony of Scripture, arguing in circles. Let's move on to why the historicity of Genesis and Creation are foundational to Christian theism and you can make your fallacious denials:

We would therefore postulate the following propositions:

• The Book of Genesis has no doctrinal value if it is not authoritative.
  • The Book of Genesis is not authoritative if it is not true. For if it is not history, it is not reliable; and if it is not revelation, it is not authoritative.
  • The Book of Genesis is not true if it is not from God. For if it is not from God, it is not inspired; and if it is not inspired, it possesses to us no doctrinal value whatever.
  • The Book of Genesis is not direct from God if it is a heterogeneous compilation of mythological folklore by unknowable writers.
  • If the Book of Genesis is a legendary narrative, anonymous, indefinitely erroneous, and the persons it described the mere mythical personifications of tribal genius, it is of course not only non-authentic, because nonauthenticated, but an insufficient basis for doctrine. The residuum of dubious truth, which might with varying degrees of consent be extracted therefrom, could never be accepted as a foundation for the superstructure of eternally trustworthy doctrine, for it is an axiom that that only is of doctrinal value which is God's Word. Mythical and legendary fiction, and still more, erroneous and misleading tradition, are incompatible not only with the character of the God of all truth, but with the truthfulness, trustworthiness, and absolute authority of the Word of God. We have not taken for our credentials cleverly invented myths. The primary documents, if there were such, were collated and revised and re-written by Moses by inspiration of God.

The Doctrinal Value of the First Chapters of Genesis, R. A. Torrey

In case you have lost track I have accumulated Concordance, Lexicon and Dictionary definitions indicating 'Day' means 'Day', now to the foundational exposition I am adding doctrinal expositions from Christian Apologetics old and new, R.A. Torrey and Athanasius:

The renewal of creation has been wrought by the Self-same Word Who made it in the beginning. There is thus no inconsistency between creation and salvation Athanasius, On the Incarnation

In response you have you as the only authority for your position, based on your assertion alone. A fallacy known as circular reasoning, AKA 'begging the question of proof.

'Day mean Day Definitions' don't help your claim day is
"defined as evening plus morning equals one day."
Are you going to back that claim up or admit you got it wrong? I could understand you dropping the claim and and ignoring my requests you back it up, but I don't know how you can keep pretending you answered it.

No, I'm just not going to let you bury the considerable proofs accumulated over the course of the thread. Instead of repeating them, I can refute your pedantic denials with a link.

Galileo's laws of motion ran foul of the Aristotelian status quo, but he wasn't put on trial for it. Instead his mechanics were adopted by all the armies of Europe. His trial was for heresy.
Internet History Sourcebooks
The Crime of Galileo: Indictment and Abjuration of 1633
"We say, pronounce, sentence, and declare, that thou, the said Galileo, by the things deduced during this trial, and by thee confessed as above,hast rendered thyself vehemently suspected of heresy by this Holy Office, that is, of having believed and held a doctrine which is false, and contrary to the Holy Scriptures, to wit: that the Sun is the centre of the universe, and that it does not move from east to west, and that the Earth moves and is not the centre of the universe: and that an opinion may be held and defended as probable after having been declared and defined as contrary to Holy Scripture

Of course you can go on believing Galileo was tried for disagreeing with Aristotelian science if you want.

My position remains unchanged and unchallenged, unsubstantiated claims do not effect it in the slightest.

Mark Kennedy said:
That had nothing to do with it, it's kind of like your arguments, boilerplate circular rationalizations of the irrelevant. Unlike the Aristotelian mechanics who had proposed ways of reforming and updating Aristotelian mechanics Galileo said to scrap it. At Piza the Catholic status quo was refuted and found themselves in an indefensible position so they resorted to a slanderous pseudo theological political end run.

Since I have shown you Galileo was tried for heresy and contradicting scripture, which you 'knew' was wrong, perhaps you could pay a bit more attention to what I have said about the literal meaning of Joshua and Ecclesiastes, especially since, as the quote from Cardinal Bellarmine pointed out the literal interpretation was the common agreement of Church Fathers and commentaries up until then.

Galileo's argument was that 'the Bible tells us how to get to heaven, not how the heavens work', he has since been exonerated, not that he was ever proved wrong. Galileo never produced Biblical expositions in favor of his views of Cosmology or astronomy. The literal interpretation was in keeping with the contemporary astronomy of their day and it's in keeping with modern astronomy, it's irrelevant. When the sun stands still in Joshua it has nothing to do with whether the sun revolves around the earth or the earth revolves around the sun. Absolutely nothing and you know it.

I have shown you how the Catholic Church was concerned about Galileo contradicting the literal interpretation of the bible in 1615, 18 years before his trial in 1633 and that his trial was for heresy and contradicting scripture. What evidence have you for your conspiracy theory that the Catholic Church wasn't really interested in scripture and the teaching of the Church Fathers and that it was all just a pretext because he annoyed the Aristotelian scientific establishment?

Exactly!

I love it! Your utter humiliation over day being "defined as evening plus morning equals one day" was just 'bait'.

I was feeling kind of guilty for baiting you into an impossible argument. You have been arguing that 'day' does not mean 'day' in Scripture and unable to substantiate any basis for it, yet you persist. After being refuted, decisively every single time you think I'm humiliated? You're really that narcissistic.

I don't know your reason for bringing up textual variation or the Textus Recepticus which is NewTestament. I am talking about the Hebrew for Genesis 1 and the poor translation of Gen 1:5 etc in the KJV. And if it is such a good translation of the Hebrew, why don't modern translations follow the meaning of the KJV?

First of all there isn't a dimes worth of difference in any of the legitimate manuscripts, the modern translations don't use Textus Recepticus specifically because of the variant text. The New King James includes note on the variant text:

Genesis 1:2 Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Genesis 1:26 Syriac reads all the wild animals of. (NKJV)​

That's it, not a dimes worth of difference.

Odd you haven't been able to provide any primary sources other than yourself for day being "defined as evening plus morning equals one day." I do agree if resort to ad homs instead of substantive argument it is evidence you can't support your claims.

I'd love to to have a substantive discussion with you, but you don't even try. I've asked you to provide evidence from Lexicons for "defined as evening plus morning equals one day" or give some exegesis for it from the text, but you don't. I've asked you to show from the text of Peter that he said the OT wasn't myth, or to justify your interpretation of 'private interpretation'. You haven't. And you still claim "Creation and salvation are inextricably linked" without addressing my point about the difference between literal and real, and between the actual creation and the creation narratives in Genesis. Again you refused to engage in any meaningful discussion

Day means Day Definitions includes the Brown-Driver-Briggs' Hebrew Definitions יום, stating clearly 'as defined by evening and morning in Genesis 1'

Saying you have been convinced is not much help if you can't articulate a meaningful argument, exegesis, or show a lexicon to support the idea.

That's where you and I are different, I actually have source material.

No it's not because I accept evolution. I was actually surprised and saddened to see that literalists are so poor at reading the plain meaning of the text and are so willing to twist the text to make it fit what they think it should say.

That's exactly what you are doing, you are twisting the Scriptures to mean something, anything, other then what they actually say. Your denials are fallacious, circular rhetoric that convinces no one including you.

I have understood your point all along, and spotted your confusion over literal and real, which you highlight again here asking ''if salvation is literal or figurative''. Salvation is real. The gospel accounts of the crucifixion and resurrection are literal, but the Good Shepherd and 'Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the word' are figurative, because in both those descriptions of salvation, shepherd and lamb are metaphors for Jesus who was neither sheep nor sheep minder.

So salvation is real but creation is fake? Or is salvation only real if you take it figuratively? Can't you be consistent?

If you came up with some real arguments I'd have a better chance at understanding them, instead you dodge and pretend to have presented a case, and I have to content myself with pointing that out. I would much prefer if you came up with real arguments then I could take them apart and you could try to defend yourself or point out where I had misunderstood your point. But you would have to make a real point for that to happen.

Oh but I do make real points and they are building.

It is a revelation of the one, personal, living, God. There is in the ancient philosophic cosmogony no trace of the idea of such a Being, still less of such a Creator, for all other systems began and ended with pantheistic, materialistic, or hylozoistic conceptions. The Divine Word stands unique in declaring the absolute idea of the living God, without attempt at demonstration...

Further, we have in this sublime revelation of Genesis the doctrinal foundation of:

1. The unity of the human race.
  2. The fall of man.
  3. The plan of redemption.

(The Doctrinal Value of the First Chapters of Genesis, R. A. Torrey)

No Christian scholar, Theistic Evolutionist or otherwise, would try to argue their position you are tying to. You stubbornly deny the clear testimony of Scripture, why I have no idea. You make indefensible, utterly untrue statements and argue them in circles endlessly, again, why I don't know.

If you want to argue like this I have no problem with it, I'll just keep shooting the fish you bring to me in buckets. Every round will accumulate more resources and a more refined defense of the Creation doctrine.

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes I did but if you want to ignore the obvious that's your prerogative.
No you only used your 'inextricably linked's to back up your claim Peter was referring to OT scripture when he said his eyewitness testimony of the transfiguration wasn't a cleverly devised myth. If you can't back up your assertions don't claim they're 'obvious'.

Creation is an ex nihileo, de novo just as the Incarnation, Resurrection and new birth are all miracles by divine fiat but Theistic Evolutionists can just deny the clear testimony of Scripture, arguing in circles. Let's move on to why the historicity of Genesis and Creation are foundational to Christian theism and you can make your fallacious denials:
We would therefore postulate the following propositions:

• The Book of Genesis has no doctrinal value if it is not authoritative.
  • The Book of Genesis is not authoritative if it is not true. For if it is not history, it is not reliable; and if it is not revelation, it is not authoritative.
  • The Book of Genesis is not true if it is not from God. For if it is not from God, it is not inspired; and if it is not inspired, it possesses to us no doctrinal value whatever.
  • The Book of Genesis is not direct from God if it is a heterogeneous compilation of mythological folklore by unknowable writers.
  • If the Book of Genesis is a legendary narrative, anonymous, indefinitely erroneous, and the persons it described the mere mythical personifications of tribal genius, it is of course not only non-authentic, because nonauthenticated, but an insufficient basis for doctrine. The residuum of dubious truth, which might with varying degrees of consent be extracted therefrom, could never be accepted as a foundation for the superstructure of eternally trustworthy doctrine, for it is an axiom that that only is of doctrinal value which is God's Word. Mythical and legendary fiction, and still more, erroneous and misleading tradition, are incompatible not only with the character of the God of all truth, but with the truthfulness, trustworthiness, and absolute authority of the Word of God. We have not taken for our credentials cleverly invented myths. The primary documents, if there were such, were collated and revised and re-written by Moses by inspiration of God.
The Doctrinal Value of the First Chapters of Genesis, R. A. Torrey
Don't see what any of that has to do with you claims:
(1) Day is defined by the equation "evening and morning equals one day"
(2) Peter was referring to OT scripture when talked about cleverly devised myth.
(3) Peter's reference to 'private interpretation' refers to our interpretation of rather than the prophet's.
Or
(4) Your continuing confusion between real and literal, and between the Genesis descriptions of Creation and the work of creation itself.

But I suppose if you can't defend the issues you are challenged on, you might as well pretend you were asked about something else.

Need I point out that that Jesus' parables are authoritative without being historically true.

In case you have lost track...
No I have kept good track on the issues you have brought up and haven't been able to defend.
(2) Peter was referring to OT scripture when talked about cleverly devised myth.
(3) Peter's reference to 'private interpretation' refers to our interpretation of rather than the prophet's.
(4) Your continuing confusion between real and literal, and between the Genesis descriptions of Creation and the work of creation itself.

... I have accumulated Concordance, Lexicon and Dictionary definitions indicating 'Day' means 'Day', now to the foundational exposition I am adding doctrinal expositions from Christian Apologetics old and new, R.A. Torrey
None of which have anything to do with the claims of your I asked you about.

and Athanasius:
The renewal of creation has been wrought by the Self-same Word Who made it in the beginning. There is thus no inconsistency between creation and salvation Athanasius, On the Incarnation
In response you have you as the only authority for your position, based on your assertion alone. A fallacy known as circular reasoning, AKA 'begging the question of proof.
No point in repeating Athanasius either if you you don't address you confusion between real and literal and between the actual creation that Athanasius is talking about and the literal interpretation of Genesis.

No, I'm just not going to let you bury the considerable proofs accumulated over the course of the thread. Instead of repeating them, I can refute your pedantic denials with a link.
A link to a previous post where you evaded the question.

My position remains unchanged and unchallenged, unsubstantiated claims do not effect it in the slightest.
Sound about right from you p.o.v.. A link to Fordham Jesuit University of New York, giving an English translation of the text Galileo's trial verdict showing he was condemned for heresy and contradicting scripture is an 'unsubstantiated claim' No wonder your position remains unchanged and unchallenged in you mind.

Galileo's argument was that 'the Bible tells us how to get to heaven, not how the heavens work', he has since been exonerated, not that he was ever proved wrong. Galileo never produced Biblical expositions in favor of his views of Cosmology or astronomy. The literal interpretation was in keeping with the contemporary astronomy of their day and it's in keeping with modern astronomy, it's irrelevant. When the sun stands still in Joshua it has nothing to do with whether the sun revolves around the earth or the earth revolves around the sun. Absolutely nothing and you know it.
Except that's not the literal interpretation of church fathers and commentators before Galileo as I have shown you from texts of the time.

Exactly what? That you think it was a conspiracy but you don't have any evidence for your conspiracy theory?

I was feeling kind of guilty for baiting you into an impossible argument. You have been arguing that 'day' does not mean 'day' in Scripture and unable to substantiate any basis for it, yet you persist. After being refuted, decisively every single time you think I'm humiliated? You're really that narcissistic.
If you have been able to refute you might have a point.

Incidentally, you made your "evening and morning equals one day" claims talking to Lopez, not me. That was bait for me? And if you were going to bait a trap for me, wouldn't you choose ground you could defend?

First of all there isn't a dimes worth of difference in any of the legitimate manuscripts, the modern translations don't use Textus Recepticus specifically because of the variant text. The New King James includes note on the variant text:
Genesis 1:2 Words in italic type have been added for clarity. They are not found in the original Hebrew or Aramaic.
Genesis 1:26 Syriac reads all the wild animals of. (NKJV)​
That's it, not a dimes worth of difference.
Manuscript differences are your idea, I have said all along the issue is the bad translation or archaic English in the
KJV's Gen 1:5 And the evening and the morning were the first day.
Compare that to the JPS And there was evening and there was morning, one day.

Day means Day Definitions includes the Brown-Driver-Briggs' Hebrew Definitions יום, stating clearly 'as defined by evening and morning in Genesis 1'
And has do nothing to support your claim that day is "defined as evening plus morning equals one day" Which is what I asked you for.

That's where you and I are different, I actually have source material.
Why not show us some? Relevant source material that is.

That's exactly what you are doing, you are twisting the Scriptures to mean something, anything, other then what they actually say. Your denials are fallacious, circular rhetoric that convinces no one including you.
Then perhaps you can show from scripture that Peter was talking about the OT when he said
2Pet 1:16 For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 17 For when he received honour and glory from God the Father, and the voice was borne to him by the Majestic Glory, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased,"
You are twisting the text to make it suit your purposes when you claim this was about OT scriptures rather than Peter's eyewitness of the Transfiguration when
Matt 17:5 a voice from the cloud said, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him."

So salvation is real but creation is fake? Or is salvation only real if you take it figuratively? Can't you be consistent?
See, you still can't tell real from literal, or literal from figurative. I have explained it to you a couple of time already in this discussion, as well as in previous discussions. but you don't want to even understand my point enough so you could try to refute it properly. Of course if you did understand it you might realise I was right. Maybe that is what is keeping you back from trying to understand the issue.

Oh but I do make real points and they are building.
It is a revelation of the one, personal, living, God. There is in the ancient philosophic cosmogony no trace of the idea of such a Being, still less of such a Creator, for all other systems began and ended with pantheistic, materialistic, or hylozoistic conceptions. The Divine Word stands unique in declaring the absolute idea of the living God, without attempt at demonstration...

Further, we have in this sublime revelation of Genesis the doctrinal foundation of:

1. The unity of the human race.
  2. The fall of man.
  3. The plan of redemption.
(The Doctrinal Value of the First Chapters of Genesis, R. A. Torrey)
What has any of that got to do with what I have kept asking you, to back up your claims:

No Christian scholar, Theistic Evolutionist or otherwise, would try to argue their position you are tying to. You stubbornly deny the clear testimony of Scripture, why I have no idea. You make indefensible, utterly untrue statements and argue them in circles endlessly, again, why I don't know.
I am beginning to feel like I've stumbled into the middle of an argument between you and your imaginary friend. Certainly the positions you have striven so valiantly to refute have had nothing to do with what I have said to you.

If you want to argue like this I have no problem with it, I'll just keep shooting the fish you bring to me in buckets. Every round will accumulate more resources and a more refined defense of the Creation doctrine.

Mark
I'll keep bringing the fish and you can keep shooting imaginary buckets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No you only used your 'inextricably linked's to back up your claim Peter was referring to OT scripture when he said his eyewitness testimony of the transfiguration wasn't a cleverly devised myth. If you can't back up your assertions don't claim they're 'obvious'.

And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation,[origin] for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God [NU-Text reads but men spoke from God.] spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. (2 Peter 1:19-21)​

Clearly Peter is speaking of prophecy, not just his prophetic witness, when he says 'holy men of God'. Peter says, 'No prophecy of Scripture', indicating the inspiration of Old and New Testament as well as any prophetic oracles proceeding directly from God.

There you go again, denying the obvious in circles.

Don't see what any of that has to do with you claims:

An argument from incredulity (ignorance) which is caused not by a lack of proof but rather you're refusal to acknowledge clear and obvious facts.

Prophecy includes all Old and New Testament inspiration and authority.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Or

A creation is by definition a 'work' of creation, that's just common sense, your arguing in circles again. Now a context sensitive meaning like the finished creation and the act of creation allows a logical distinction but you don't do logical distinctions, you just deny the obvious in circles.

But I suppose if you can't defend the issues you are challenged on, you might as well pretend you were asked about something else.

Your scarping the bottom of the barrel for ad hominems now, there isn't even enough there to argue in circles. It's sad when you fall into your own fallacious trap, pitiful even.

Need I point out that that Jesus' parables are authoritative without being historically true.

There are no parables in Genesls, it's a New Testament comparison indicated by 'like' or 'as' in the immediate context. All figurative language has clear indicators in the immediate or proximate context. The only poetic license used in Genesis 1 is the repeated statement that Adam was 'Created', ('bara' H1254 בָּרָא ), the Qal form meaning: to shape, fashion, create, always with God as subject. Used in reference to the creation of the universe (Gen. 1:1), life (Gen. 1:21) and 3x in the creation of man (Gen. 1:27)

In the beginning God created H1254 the heaven and the earth. (Gen 1:1)

And God created H1254 great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. ( Gen 1:21)

So God created H1254 man in his own image, in the image of God created H1254 he him; male and female created H1254 he them. (Gen 1:27)

So God created H1254 man in his own image, in the image of God created H1254 he him; male and female created H1254 he them.​

No I have kept good track on the issues you have brought up and haven't been able to defend.

Which is straight out of the Lexicon, Dictionary and Concordance definitions as well as the clear meaning of the text in English. You deny this in spite of all evidence proving your assertion false, against all dictates of conscience, logic and simple common sense.

Prophecy is regarded as authoritative whether the prophetic oracles of Moses in Genesis or Peter's eye witness account of Christ at the Transfiguration. The revelation of Moses and Joshua was confirmed by signs, miracles and God's righteous deeds, just as they were in the time of Elijah and Elisha and Christ and the Apostles.

This is not only evident it's obvious, if you can't see it the problem is with you not the clear testimony of the Word of God.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. (John 1:1-5)

For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. (Acts 28:27)

No prophecy is of private interpretation, yet another example of a Theistic Evolutionist denying the obvious in circles.

Antonyms for 'literal' are 'unreal', 'figurative' and 'fake'. 'Literal' Thesaurus.com . There are none so blind as those who will not see.

None of which have anything to do with the claims of your I asked you about.

Around, around he goes, arguing in circles around the obvious.

No point in repeating Athanasius either if you you don't address you confusion between real and literal and between the actual creation that Athanasius is talking about and the literal interpretation of Genesis.

Except that salvation and creation are inextricably linked.

A link to a previous post where you evaded the question.

I've answered it every time you asked it and always with fresh material in support of the obvious, you respond with nothing but pedantic denials and fallacious arguments.

Sound about right from you p.o.v.. A link to Fordham Jesuit University of New York, giving an English translation of the text Galileo's trial verdict showing he was condemned for heresy and contradicting scripture is an 'unsubstantiated claim' No wonder your position remains unchanged and unchallenged in you mind.

Protestants were burned at the stake for preaching justification by faith alone, that doesn't make Rome right or their arguments Biblical.

Except that's not the literal interpretation of church fathers and commentators before Galileo as I have shown you from texts of the time.

Spam formatting of pedantic special pleading isn't substantive reasoning.

Exactly what? That you think it was a conspiracy but you don't have any evidence for your conspiracy theory?

Evidence is beyond you, I'm well acquainted with Galileo's trial and the political intrigue that caused it. Quoting a text without a context is a pretext and the trial of Galileo is a prime example of it.

If you have been able to refute you might have a point.

Pedantic ad hominem based on circular logic.

Incidentally, you made your "evening and morning equals one day" claims talking to Lopez, not me. That was bait for me? And if you were going to bait a trap for me, wouldn't you choose ground you could defend?

You have continually denied it as he did and all Theistic Evolutionists must. He just knew when to quit.

Manuscript differences are your idea, I have said all along the issue is the bad translation or archaic English in the
KJV's Gen 1:5 And the evening and the morning were the first day.
Compare that to the JPS And there was evening and there was morning, one day.

The original text remains unchanged because there isn't a dimes worth of difference between the manuscripts or the translations. A point that continues to elude you because you refuse to accept the message, not the exegesis and translation of the original.

And has do nothing to support your claim that day is "defined as evening plus morning equals one day" Which is what I asked you for.

Which was provided every time you argued that in circles, the truth does not change because you refuse to admit it.

Why not show us some? Relevant source material that is.

Which I have done in every single post responding to your arguments from incredulity and it's done nothing but get stronger.

Ok, your just repeating yourself endlessly. Chase the pedantic denials in circles till you drop it doesn't concern me in the slightest. As is always the case you have been left with nothing in support of your arguments except fallacious ad hominem remarks in contradiction of the facts. Since you are determined to argue them in circles I see no reason to chase your pedantic rationalizations of the obvious in circles around the mulberry bush.

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0