Evil Spirits: the Who, What, When, Where, & How?

David Pratt

Aug 15, 2010
✟15,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
These verses of the Book of Enoch fits like a glove when comparing verses in "Jude", "2 Peter: Chapter 2", & "Genesis 6 - 7". Also it was so brilliant and necessary as to why the Lord our God sent the Flood & where evil spirits come from.

The Book of Enoch

Chapter 7

1. It happened after the sons of men had multiplied in those days, that daughters were born to them, elegant and beautiful.

2. And when the angels, the sons of heaven, beheld them, they became enamoured of them, saying to each other, Come, let us select for ourselves wives from the progeny of men, and let us beget children.

3. Then their leader Samyaza said to them; I fear that you may perhaps be indisposed to the performance of this enterprise;

4. And that I alone shall suffer for so grievous a crime.

5. But they answered him and said; We all swear;

6. And bind ourselves by mutual execrations, that we will not change our intention, but execute our projected undertaking.

7. Then they swore all together, and all bound themselves by mutual execrations. Their whole number was two hundred, who descended upon Ardis, which is the top of mount Armon.

8. That mountain therefore was called Armon, because they had sworn upon it, (5) and bound themselves by mutual execrations.

9. These are the names of their chiefs: Samyaza, who was their leader, Urakabarameel, Akibeel, Tamiel, Ramuel, Danel, Azkeel, Saraknyal, Asael, Armers, Batraal, Anane, Zavebe, Samsaveel, Ertael, Turel, Yomyael, Arazyal. These were the prefects of the two hundred angels, and the remainder were all with them.

10. Then they took wives, each choosing for himself; whom they began to approach, and with whom they cohabited; teaching them sorcery, incantations, and the dividing of roots and trees.

11. And the women conceiving brought forth giants,

12. Whose stature was each three hundred cubits. These devoured all which the labor of men produced; until it became impossible to feed them;

13. When they turned themselves against men, in order to devour them;

14. And began to injure birds, beasts, reptiles, and fishes, to eat their flesh one after another, and to drink their blood.

15. Then the earth reproved the unrighteous.

Chapter 8

1. Moreover Azazyel taught men to make swords, knives, shields, breastplates, the fabrication of mirrors, and the workmanship of bracelets and ornaments, the use of paint, the beautifying of the eyebrows, the use of stones of every valuable and select kind, and all sorts of dyes, so that the world became altered.

2. Impiety increased; fornication multiplied; and they transgressed and corrupted all their ways.

3. Amazarak taught all the sorcerers, and dividers of roots:

4. Armers taught the solution of sorcery;

5. Barkayal taught the observers of the stars,

6. Akibeel taught signs;

7. Tamiel taught astronomy;

8. And Asaradel taught the motion of the moon,

9. And men, being destroyed, cried out; and their voice reached to heaven.

Chapter 15

1. Then addressing me, He spoke and said, Hear, neither be afraid, O righteous Enoch, you scribe of righteousness: approach hither, and hear my voice. Go, say to the Watchers of heaven, who have sent you to pray for them, You ought to pray for men, and not men for you.

2. Wherefore have you forsaken the lofty and holy heaven, which endures for ever, and have lain with women; have defile yourselves with the daughters of men; have taken to yourselves wives; have acted like the sons of the earth, and have begotten an impious offspring?

3. You being spiritual, holy, and possessing a life which is eternal, have polluted yourselves with women; have begotten in carnal blood; have lusted in the blood of men; and have done as those who are flesh and blood do.

4. These however die and perish.

5. Therefore have I given to them wives, that they might cohabit with them; that sons might be born of them; and that this might be transacted upon earth.

6. But you from the beginning were made spiritual, possessing a life which is eternal, and not subject to death for ever.

7. Therefore I made not wives for you, because, being spiritual, your dwelling is in heaven.

8. Now the giants, who have been born of spirit and of flesh, shall be called upon earth evil spirits, and on earth shall be their habitation. Evil spirits shall proceed from their flesh, because they were created from above; from the holy Watchers was their beginning and primary foundation. Evil spirits shall they be upon earth, and the spirits of the wicked shall they be called. The habitation of the spirits of heaven shall be in heaven; but upon earth shall be the habitation of terrestrial spirits, who are born on earth.

9. The spirits of the giants shall be like clouds, which shall oppress, corrupt, fall, content, and bruise upon earth.

10. They shall cause lamentation. No food shall they eat; and they shall be thirsty; they shall be concealed, and shall not rise up against the sons of men, and against women; for they come forth during the days of slaughter and destruction.

David Pratt

Aug 15, 2010
✟15,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Enoch explains so much as why Moses, Joshua, & Caleb when to war. Without fully understanding the beginning a lot people believe that the perfect Creator was flawed killing machine but He didn't enact act then to wipe them out mankind would had ceased thousands of years ago. We owe Him our everlasting love and gratitude.

Reactions: Avid
Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Enoch explains so much as why Moses, Joshua, & Caleb when to war. Without fully understanding the beginning a lot people believe that the perfect Creator was flawed killing machine but He didn't enact act then to wipe them out mankind would had ceased thousands of years ago. We owe Him our everlasting love and gratitude.
Reading through that book, I saw nothing that contradicted what I knew to be true from the Bible. Eyes were somewhat opened, and I received a blessing an significant knowledge.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Reading through that book, I saw nothing that contradicted what I knew to be true from the Bible. Eyes were somewhat opened, and I received a blessing an significant knowledge.

The topic is discussed a lot,I'm curious to know what was the main reason for it
not being in the Canon?

Upvote 0

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The topic is discussed a lot,I'm curious to know what was the main reason for it not being in the Canon?
Not sure how much it is discussed, but already said why I don't think people wished for it to be part of the Bible.

There is no logic or cause for the things in scripture, that WERE included, to be accepted as the detractors have taken them. The scriptures mention things a particular way, and it seems that is dismissed to bring up an idea that does not explain those scriptures. The book of Enoch is quoted and referenced in the scriptures we have in the Bible.

It seems to be unimportant as to what happened 5,000 years ago in certain areas, except that something similar is shaping up to happen again.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Well there were logical reasons for some books not to be included I'm sure.

Folklore and fables for one,as to 5000 years ago Mesopotamian legends could be in the mix.
The book of Enoch being referenced in The Bible does add credibility.

Good reason for some research thanks.

Upvote 0

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well there were logical reasons for some books not to be included I'm sure.

Folklore and fables for one,as to 5000 years ago Mesopotamian legends could be in the mix.
The book of Enoch being referenced in The Bible does add credibility.

Good reason for some research thanks.
Yes, I found a translation and read it.

I had given logical reason for it not to have been included in the Bible. However, there is a place in the Bible where Jude (brother or cousin of Jesus) quotes the Book of Enoch.

Jude 1
14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,
15 ¶ To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

Enoch 1
9 And behold! He cometh with ten thousands of His holy ones To execute judgement upon all, And to destroy all the ungodly: And to convict all flesh Of all the works of their ungodliness which they have ungodly committed, And of all the hard things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.
You have seen this info before, so it may be helpful for you to offer what you think. I don't consider it wrong to think this should NOT be in the Bible for the reason I mentioned. You likely have your reasons for thinking a certain way on the subject, though.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The topic is discussed a lot,I'm curious to know what was the main reason for it
not being in the Canon?

actually there is and order to the Bible in spite of what some have said here.

1 scriptures have to be able to be traced to and apostle or written by one to be included in the Bible.
2. books can not contradict other books already in the Bible.

So my understanding is the book of enoch could not be verified and also contradicted scripture, and that is why the books of Mary, Thomas, and judas were not included as well as Enoch.

I also understood that book to be written at around 900 A.D(Enoch). Whats more is the Jews do not include it in their teaching either. They do not believe it was written by Enoch.

Upvote 0

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single
actually there is and order to the Bible in spite of what some have said here.

1 scriptures have to be able to be traced to and apostle or written by one to be included in the Bible.
2. books can not contradict other books already in the Bible.

So my understanding is the book of enoch could not be verified and also contradicted scripture, and that is why the books of Mary, Thomas, and judas were not included as well as Enoch.

I also understood that book to be written at around 900 A.D(Enoch). Whats more is the Jews do not include it in their teaching either. They do not believe it was written by Enoch.
The Book of Enoch is found amongst the scrolls and fragments of Qumran (cave 4), and are typically dated between the 3rd and 2nd centuries BCE via a variety of methods. I have no idea where you are getting the 900 AD date from, unless you are referencing non-Qumran scrolls or texts.

The Book of Enoch is actually believed to be comprised of separate works written at different times. The one most typically in dispute as having been written later is the Parables of Enoch section, where the term "Son of Man" is frequently emphasized. I don't believe any fragments of that section were found. This is one often dated at much later dates, anywhere from the end of the 1st century BCE to the 3rd century. The popular "Book of the Watchers" which aligns with Jude, Genesis 6, and other Biblical passages, is well established amongst the scrolls and there is little doubt it wasn't written in the 3rd-2nd centuries BCE.

For those who ask why it's not canonical, it is canonical by the Ethiopian Orthodox. Not all "Bibles" are equal. For those who are not familiar with the Ethiopian Orthodox, for reference, these are the same Ethiopian Orthodox who claim to have the original Ark of the Covenant in a protected church in Axum, Ethiopia. Roughly 40-50 million people are Ethiopian Orthodox, and it's the largest of the Oriental Orthodox churches.

To the Book of Enoch itself ... Enoch lived before the flood, so for him to have actually written a copy that survived the flood, is a problem most people see concerning even the oldest known copies of the Book of Enoch. They are penned by someone else, pseudapigrapha, if for no other reason then Enoch lived before the flood. However, Enoch shares something unique with only one other human being according to scripture: Enoch and Elijah were taken up before their death. For those who believe Enoch and Elijah were taken up in such a way, the idea for some is that Enoch gave the accounts afterwards. Perhaps even centuries afterwards.

Furthermore, some believe Enoch is one of the two witnesses mentioned in Revelations, since he was 1) taken up before his death, and 2) because of what he was a witness to: the world before the flood, the state of things with the Watchers/Sons of God/etc. Thus the idea is that his testimony would be given concerning the prior things, once again at the end of the age.

For those who find no need to claim Enoch would return, or that he gave a book he had written centuries after the flood ... one can do simple math to see that it's not that difficult to pass on Enochian information:

Noah himself was likely told a second-hand account of the creation of the world itself, as he was alive to know people who had been told by Adam directly. Not only that, but Noah was able to know everyone in Adam's line except for Adam, Seth, and Enoch. Methusaleh is a key here. This would be the equivalent of being told about the first airplane to fly by your grandparents, whose parents had seen it. It isn't that far removed. So Noah knew a LOT of things going into that Ark, as he had a lot of contact with significant people to hear important accounts and understand important information. Not only that, but whatever ante-diluvian life was like, Noah was obviously a witness.

Enoch says that the Sons of God/Watchers came down in the days of Jared. Noah would have known Jared and been able to speak with him potentially, since their lives overlapped by almost 300 years. Now Noah wouldn't have known Enoch, as Enoch was taken before Noah was born. However Enoch was Jared's son ... so Noah could have gotten not only a second hand account of the Creation of the World, but he could have gotten a first hand account of the Sons of God/Watchers coming down from Jared himself, who also could have told him about his son Enoch and what happened to him perhaps.

Depending on what point in Jared's life the Watchers came down, Noah himself could have seen this happen. Regardless, if you do the math, the Nephilim and Watchers were part of society (if you believe those accounts) for over 1000 years (between 1035-1196 years). Comparing that to long running historical empires, I believe that puts them in the top 3. For reference, the US is only 239 years old. Thus a society that had Nephilim and Watchers involved was around for potentially 5 times longer than the US has currently been around.

Back to Noah and what he saw or knew and what he could have passed along, we get to Abraham. Abraham was alive when Noah and his son Shem were still alive. That means, that Abraham himself could have potentially been told a third hand account of the creation of the world, and a first hand account by Noah himself of the pre-flood world, the Watchers, etc. In fact, Noah died just 22 years before Isaac was born. But everyone in Abraham's line prior to Isaac could have been told the pre-flood information by Noah himself.

This is important because it shows a chain of information by first hand witnesses and important individuals. How did Abraham know how to identify Yahweh, or how did he know whom the beings he saw were at times ? Perhaps he had been told what they looked like by Noah himself, an important witness to a LOT of stuff.

By the time we get to Joseph, the story of creation itself was passed down only by a 4th hand account over a period of 2169 years. Only a 4th hand account. 239 years later, Moses is born, who arguably penned Genesis, as well as receiving information directly from God and angels himself.

The point is that for the information in Enoch to have been faithfully passed down from actual witnesses over centuries, isn't that much of a stretch if you take into consideration the longevity of the people involved, whom they were contemporaries with throughout their lives and how they had access to important eye-witness testimony, the amount of time the Watchers/Sons of God/etc supposedly interacted with mankind, so on and so forth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums