Deep in the heart of the Bible belt
Visit site
✟14,521.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
william jay schroeder said:
ALL OTHER BOOKS WERE WRITTEN BY MAN, USELY ONE, AND didnt give prophecy to back it up as spiritual and from God.
All books were written by man, including every last chapter of your Bible. The Qur'an, the Vedas and the Gita, the Avesta, the Shaster, the Book of Mormon, and the sacred writings of the Bab and Bahá'u'lláh all claim to be written by God. In fact, of all the world's religions, the only ones I know with sacred scriptures not supposedly written by God are the Tao te Ching and the Guru Granth Sahib of the Sikhs. Otherwise, all the world's holy scriptures were either said to have been written by God or by men who were "moved by" God.

And your prophesies utterly failed my test, remember? Or do you know of some time in which there was niether man nor beast in the whole of Egypt for forty years?
you read the bible you want to read,
If that were true, then I would have read that God were the benevolent, loving supreme intelligence I was lead to believe he would be.
The only ones I've ever seen talk about parents eating their children, or having sex with them, blood, rape, genocide, pillage, plunder and horror of all kinds for no reason at all. That's what most of the Bible is about.
show me these verses.
I would be only too happy to. But before I waste my time, (again) will any of it make any difference to you? If I could show you that Moses himself supported, condoned or encouraged abortion, murder, abuse, enslavement, sexual molestation or even cannibalization of children, would you care? Would you be willing to change your mind in that case? And would you state that up front, right now?
At the very least this should prove it is the truth because it doesnt gloss over human nature and its evil.
I guess it wouldn't make any difference then, would it? You wouldn't change your mind no matter what the truth turned out to be.
For no reason you seem to understand.
What it does instead is to present the horrible as if it were wonderful. I understand perfectly. In order for priests to secure power, influence, and following, and thus avoid working for a living, then they have to prey on the emotions of the laity, and evoke fear in any who might not believe.
Everything is in between. There can be some truth even in a lie, and even your history book contains some errors. Nothing is absolutely accurate, and nothing is beyond question. There is no asbolute black or white for anything. Instead, there is a spectrum of color which can't be fit into your small, black or white fantasy vision of the world.
you dont believe this and i know it because you believe in evolution.
How can you be absolutely wrong about absolutely everything 100% of the time for such a long time, and still think you have the absolute truth?

I do not "believe in" evolution any more than I "believe in" heliocentrity, geosphericity, gravity, or atomic theory. I simply accept what the facts seem to indicate, and will change my mind the moment they indicate something else instead. Because evolution isn't 100% true, and I know that already. But neither is it 100% false. Some of it is at least 90% true.
Or do you guestion evolution and believe it could be wrong.
Yes I question it, and some of it could be wrong. When have men ever been 100% right about anything? However, much of evolution is known to true for certain, and is demonstrable as fact. So it can't all be wrong.
if you really believed this you would be paranoid because you would never know what was true or not.
Thank you for that insight into your terrified mind. Uncertainty may scare you, but not me. And I know that pretending something is true doesn't really make it true. My mind doesn't work your way. I revell in the unknown, because without it discovery is impossible. And you can't even begin to seek the truth if you can't admit that you don't already know it.
contain some errors which means some is true and some is not true. Nothing inbetween. again give me a examble of inbetween.
OK. Most people say that Captain Blackbeard was born with the name, Edward Teach. But it is a fact that he signed his own documents with different names, and with different spellings of that name. And there are those who hold that was born with another identity entirely. Which is true?

Here's another example. When I was a boy, my history books taught how the American Revolutionary war hero, Nathan Hale bravely proclaimed his famous motto as he stepped up to the gallows; "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country". This I was taught in school as fact. Then I grew up and found out that the British executioners recorded his last words directly. In their version, he was pleading for his life on the excuse that he was only following orders. Which do you believe? And why?

Like many other millions of kids, I was taught that Columbus proved that the world was round. Many people still believe this as indicated by the quote from Men in Black; "500 years ago, everybody knew the world was flat." When I still believed this myself, I said as much to other people. Was I lying if I thought I was passing on truth?

Ever see Kevin Costner in JFK? Watch that and you'll understand what I mean.
if you tell some one something, is it true or a lie.
If I tell someone something that I believe is true, but it turns out not to be, then I have not lied. Its only a lie when you knew it was wrong before you said it. That's why I say Kent Hovind is a liar.
if you drive, you go one direction or another but never no direction.
I like to veer North by Northwest into a counterclockwise circle along a 6% upgrade. But sometimes when I drive, I'm sitting in front of the computer not really going anywhere. But even if I did only drive in one direction at a time, you still wouldn't have a point to make here.
your the one not in reality.
You worship a storybook with talking animals, magic spells, and wishes making mountains move, all starring a giant invisible ghost you just gotta believe in or he won't exist. But I'm not in the real world because I only believe what can withstand the tests of science and logic?! I think its time for your thorazine now, Billy.
you wish a world that means nothing and is what ever you wish it to be.
Wrong again, as always. I was a Taoist until just a few years ago, and I was very happy as one. I hated having to realize that I am no Jedi knight; when I die, I'll be naught but a couple hundred pounds of ape meat who wasted over half his life believing in nonsense. That's not a pretty thing to have to deal with, and it sure ain't something you would wish for. Material atheism is a resignation, not a resolve. If I could just believe whatever I want, I sure wouldn't believe what I do!
But every thing you do means something even if you dont notice it. If you drink or smoke or always honest or kind or are a bully these things effect those around you.
Yes, somehow I still believe in Kharma, even though it is a hindu concept, and a bit odd that you would bring it up.
whether you want to believe it or not.You are what you believe.
That's your dementia talking. Its very frightening to me that people can think the way you do, and still be allowed to operate a motor vehicle.
there is never truth in a lie, give me a example.
All the best lies are 90% truth. Don't you know that? You yourself just cited a truth of the Hindu religion. Does that make Hindu 100% truth? And what about the story of Nathan Hale? Just because he didn't say what they say he said, does that mean that Hale wasn't really a war hero? that he wasn't really captured? Or that he wasn't really Nathan Hale? How can these three things be true if the fourth thing isn't?...according to you anyway. I don't have a problem with things like that.

Upvote 0

Aron-Ra

Senior Veteran
Jul 3, 2004
Deep in the heart of the Bible belt
Visit site
✟14,521.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Oncedeceived said:
Good. :) So we will see if Aron-ra wishes to continue and eventually we will get to the scientific area of common ancestry. Then your thread will get back on track..yes? :)
I would be happy to. But bare in mind that I'll be back in school soon, and won't a lot of time anymore myself.

And my common ancestry questions shouldn't take you more than two minutes per day to answer. So please do.

Upvote 0

tryptophan

May 28, 2004
Missouri
✟8,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
HuManiTeE said:
the bible is the only evidence we need , it is GODS PERFECT WORD, however I will refrain from making this post too long and detailed since I seem to offend everyone and break the rules I guess. All the evidence is in GOds Word.
i dont trust sources from mans fallible thinking becuase tis non christian and naturaly because of our sin nature.
it is anti-God and atheist. If the evidence contradicts the bible, it is false. Simple as that, I wish people were more unbias and open minded to this possibility. We must approach the evidence with an open mind and the possiblity that God created the universe useing Creationism

My irony meter is going through the roof.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Aron-Ra said:
I would be happy to. But bare in mind that I'll be back in school soon, and won't a lot of time anymore myself.

And my common ancestry questions shouldn't take you more than two minutes per day to answer. So please do.

I understand and I am sure this will be difficult for us both.

SEE common ancestry thread. :)

Upvote 0