Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Anyone ever heard of Western Orthodoxy? Or to put it another way Eastern Orthodoxy that believes in Eastern theology and Fathers but celebrates the traditional Latin Mass from the Western rite? I came across a person who was a one. They are antiochean he said and a small sect of them. This one was new to me but cool because they looked very traditional Roman Catholic in their dress and Liturgy but believed very Eastern orthodox like when it came to doctrines. Just curious. Here is the site diocese or eparchery guy told me he belonged too http://www.antiochian.org/western-rite

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I heard of them, I don't get it. Either go Orthodox for the authentic Eastern experience, or go Catholic/Anglican for the authentic Western one. Mixing the two is a strange hybrid.

It is very interesting.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Western Rite is indeed Orthodox. It started in the mid 1850s (yes 19th century Russia!), but did not pick up steam until the early 20th century. I've never been to a WR church but they use various western liturgies that have been modified to meet Eastern theology (e.g. the Creed without the filioque)

For more detailed info
Western Rite Orthodoxy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Does 'Western' refer to Greece and 'Eastern' to Russia? Curious ... I am new, do not know for sure. thanks.

Happy New Year Softart,
Traditionally, Eastern refers to those regions that made up the Eastern Roman Empire (Greece, the slavic countries, Egypt and sections of the Middle East). Russia is Eastern because they ended up for the early part of its history getting its theology from the Eastern Church. We use the Byzantine Rite family of services. These have their origins from the Imperial services that were in use at Constantinople

Western Christianity typically refers to those churches associated with the Western Roman Empire and Rome itself. This would include the Roman Catholic Church as well as Protestant Christianity. Those churches that are liturgical (Anglican, Lutheran, some Presbyterian and Methodist) use services that have their roots in the Roman Mass.

In between all of these are the Eastern Catholic churches that are in union with the papacy but use the Eastern Rites. For example, Lebanese churches never broke their communion with Rome, but had always used the same services as Constantinople.

The Western Rite is similar that they are Eastern Orthodox but use services that come from the western churches. I hope that helps.

Reactions: softart
Upvote 0

Barky

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2008
Philadelphia, USA
✟24,242.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Western Rite is indeed Orthodox. It started in the mid 1850s (yes 19th century Russia!), but did not pick up steam until the early 20th century. I've never been to a WR church but they use various western liturgies that have been modified to meet Eastern theology (e.g. the Creed without the filioque)

For more detailed info
Western Rite Orthodoxy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The liturgy itself is taken from pre-schismatic Rome. It's an interesting idea, and I've never attended one myself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

truthseeker32

Lost in the Cosmos
Nov 30, 2010
✟16,510.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I heard of them, I don't get it. Either go Orthodox for the authentic Eastern experience, or go Catholic/Anglican for the authentic Western one. Mixing the two is a strange hybrid.
You believe that Orthodoxy must necessarily express itself in an "eastern" form? I always thought Orthodoxy was supposed to be universal.

It is silly to think one should base their decision of where to worship solely on whether they like "eastern" or "western" liturgical style better.

Reactions: nestoj
Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

It's not mixing, it's returning. Orthodoxy is not Eastern. Orthodoxy is Orthodoxy, and it can be expressed in Eastern or Western ways. Just because the Western expression started believing things that aren't Orthodox doesn't mean we can't return to the Western Expression of true Orthodoxy. Western Rite Orthodoxy is the authentic Western experience. Roman Catholicism and Anglican have heretical components.

I have been to an Orthodox Mass several times, and my wife was actually Christmated in the Western Rite. It's perfectly Orthodox and even 'feels' Orthodox when you're there. You get the sense of the ancient, and Mystery, and eternal, and the theology is expressed properly in the prayers and hymns. It would be very familiar to a traditional Roman Catholic or Anglican, maybe not to a Novus Ordo Roman depending on how old they are and/or familiar with their heritage. It's a beautiful service. We've used Western devotions and prayers before too - they have all the same ones we do: Morning, Evening, Before Communion, After Communion, etc. and some we don't, like the Salutations to the Cross and Hail Holy Queen and some Litanies instead of Akathists.

Reactions: nestoj
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Mar 30, 2008
✟14,124.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I attended a ROCOR western rite service to venerate the myrrh streaming Hawaiian Ivernon icon.
Joseph Hazen is correct. Everything is pretty much as it was pre-schism. Here is their website with the different liturgies they use, photos etc. A lot of information. http://www.rwrv.org/

I actually saw pictures for the first time from the church I visited. I am in a couple with my mom and daughter!! That's nice.

Upvote 0

Mariya116

Dec 3, 2011
✟16,306.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
We've used Western devotions and prayers before too - they have all the same ones we do: Morning, Evening, Before Communion, After Communion, etc. and some we don't, like the Salutations to the Cross and Hail Holy Queen and some Litanies instead of Akathists.
To be truthful I prefer the evening prayers from the Book of Common Prayer to the Orthodox rule (except the Doxology, I do like it). I also like the Rosary and the Divine Mercy devotions... There are also things I love that the Eastern Orthodox have and the Western Christians don't... Different worship traditions of the East and West appeal to me...

Upvote 0