Even the media is tired of mass killings.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As the days pass the Oregon shooting is rapidly fading from the headlines. The media knows when a story 'has legs', and this one is crippled from the getgo. The story went quickly from the shooting event to the gun control debate, where it will suffer a quick, merciful death (no pun intended). Now we can get back to the really important issues.....the economy and immigration.

Reactions: Darkhorse

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As the days pass the Oregon shooting is rapidly fading from the headlines. The media knows when a story 'has legs', and this one is crippled from the getgo. The story went quickly from the shooting event to the gun control debate, where it will suffer a quick, merciful death (no pun intended). Now we can get back to the really important issues.....the economy and immigration.
How is this not important? Yes I'm sick of hearing it. But still we keep having shootings at school, that need to stop. And not hushed up.

Upvote 0

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟11,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Soon, I think they will become some commonplace that they will not receive much news attention. For example:
"Today in (pick a City/State) 15 preschoolers and 5 staffers were killed in a daycare center by a gunman later committed suicide...and now sports."

I seriously think that such attacks will take place several times a month. In the end I don't think much will be done because I feel the country is becoming increasing apathetic about the whole thing. Perhaps more and more people feel there is nothing that can/will be done.

Me personally...I am rather numb to it all. When there is a mass shooting I don't even bother to read or view the story anymore, even if it involves children. Why? What is done is done...in the end I know nothing will prevent the next one or the one after that.

Upvote 0

Radicchio

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2007
San Clemente, CA
✟592,162.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Soon, I think they will become some commonplace that they will not receive much news attention. For example:
"Today in (pick a City/State) 15 preschoolers and 5 staffers were killed in a daycare center by a gunman later committed suicide...and now sports."

I seriously think that such attacks will take place several times a month. In the end I don't think much will be done because I feel the country is becoming increasing apathetic about the whole thing. Perhaps more and more people feel there is nothing that can/will be done.

Me personally...I am rather numb to it all. When there is a mass shooting I don't even bother to read or view the story anymore, even if it involves children. Why? What is done is done...in the end I know nothing will prevent the next one or the one after that.

It’s called empathy. Whenever tragedy strikes, someone is hurt or suffering I could never become numb to it all. I may not know them personally, but nonetheless I care and share to some degree in their pain.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is pretty much how I feel about it. The situation is practically hopeless so I'm not going to worry about it more than I should. I see no end to the violence and worse still, I see no drive for a solution either. All I can do, is to not contribute to the crap that exists in the world.

Upvote 0

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟11,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It’s called empathy. Whenever tragedy strikes, someone is hurt or suffering I could never become numb to it all. I may not know them personally, but nonetheless I care and share to some degree in their pain.
But it is like a war story...I know everyday several thousand people die from violence. Look at Syria and Ukraine...in those cases, like in the case of U.S. Domestic shootings...I realize it will continue and nothing can/will be done about it...expect a lot of talking and arguments. So...I wish it would not happen but in the end it is all background noise. Violence will never leave humanity.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lot's of agreement here. You can only take so much of the pain of others into your head. After awhile you do become numb to it. My emotion is anger, that defensive strategies and attitudes are absent. It seems like schools are weighing the cost and trouble of preparing for such an event against the probability that it will actually happen, and deciding that it will never happen to them.

Upvote 0

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟11,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What bothers me the most is that it appears to be a problem without a solution. People that commit these acts could care less about amendments, gun laws, or mental tests. They can legally buy a weapon directly from someone and bypass all paperwork and scrutiny.

I think the next mass shooting we be in less than a month. I hope I am wrong but they seem to be ever increasing:sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What bothers me the most is that it appears to be a problem without a solution. People that commit these acts could care less about amendments, gun laws, or mental tests. They can legally buy a weapon directly from someone and bypass all paperwork and scrutiny.

I think the next mass shooting we be in less than a month. I hope I am wrong but they seem to be ever increasing:sigh:
I believe he got his guns legally. Apparently it to easy for crazy people to get a gun. No body makes it harder to get guns legally.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The spike in mass shootings is a bit odd. We've had them for over a century (you can find old newspapers about school shootings dating back to 1850s), but rash we have had as of late is a bit odd, especially amongst otherwise steadily dropping violence rates.

Upvote 0

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟11,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe he got his guns legally. Apparently it to easy to crazy people to get a gun. No body makes it harder to get guns legally.
That's my point...there is no way to tell if a person is sane or not. Serial killer Ted Bundy could sound and look very normal when he wanted to. He often was a stylish dresser. Look at the Duggar guy...few people knew what he was up to until fairly recently. The person is going to lie on the application and may present quite well at the time of purchase.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

I completely disagree with the bold. There are plenty of measures we can take to lower the probability of mass shootings and decrease the number of mass shootings. True, we can never eliminate it, but we can make things better.

The problem is simple politics. Rather than make our decisions based on metrics, data, correlations, logic, reason, deductions, etc instead each side (both left and right) have decided to place politics first. So, when these things happen, out come the standard boiler plate arguments and rhetorical questions and anecdotes, yada yada yada.

Instead of taking a scientific approach to solving this problem, instead we are trying to solve it via political talking points.

And as long as both the left and the right do that, this problem will never get solved.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The spike in mass shootings is a bit odd. We've had them for over a century (you can find old newspapers about school shootings dating back to 1850s), but rash we have had as of late is a bit odd, especially amongst otherwise steadily dropping violence rates.

i agree.

i was just thinking about that.

That's the exact word i was thinking of, "odd".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟11,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I completely disagree with the bold. There are plenty of measures we can take to lower the probability of mass shootings and decrease the number of mass shootings. True, we can never eliminate it, but we can make things better.

The problem is simple politics. Rather than make our decisions based on metrics, data, correlations, logic, reason, deductions, etc instead each side (both left and right) have decided to place politics first. So, when these things happen, out come the standard boiler plate arguments and rhetorical questions and anecdotes, yada yada yada.

Instead of taking a scientific approach to solving this problem, instead we are trying to solve it via political talking points.

And as long as both the left and the right do that, this problem will never get solved.
It is impossible because there is no will to change anything. Okay think about this...if there was one mass shooting a week, do you think anything would change? Well in that case I think something would change. People would buy many more guns for protection. I can't see much else changing. The U.S. is too polarized for change.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Access by individuals to "social media" plays into it, I think.

Upvote 0

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟11,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nobodies can now become stars.
Anyone can have their FB or website. Think the Church shooter...so a nut case can have followers. I wonder what would happen if the News services had a policy against coverage of mass shootings?

I wonder if the number of mass shootings would go down if people could not get any notoriety from them?

Upvote 0