Evangelism using a full-size floating ark

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
A Dutchman named Johan Huibers has built a full-size ark in the Netherlands, and it floats. He plans to use it for evangelism.

More at A full size ark and it floats!

In 2008, I interviewed Dutchman Johan Huibers for Creation magazine. He had built a floating replica of Noah’s Ark, which, though only half-size (so it could traverse Dutch canals), was still considered immense by most people who saw it.

Revisiting him some three years later, it turns out that this was in his view only a ‘practice project’. Johan has been busy for the last three years with his real project, envisioned from day one—a full size floating ark. It was almost done when I saw him; by the time this article appears, it should be ready to launch.

Johan Huibers is a man with considerable charisma. Anyone who meets him will not readily forget his down-to-earth but enthusiastic way of explaining the Gospel and his vision behind his ark, which has remained undimmed. As he often says—God does not ask if you are fit for the task, just whether you are available. And that is what Johan lives by. The owner of a construction business, the fact that his vision of the first ark replica was realized meant that his local bank was prepared to finance this second one, for which the costs will be considerable. However, the first ark drew 600,000 visitors in almost three years, no mean feat considering the population of the Netherlands is a mere 17 million. Johan made no effort to market it, either, apart from a life-size polyester model of either a giraffe or elephant at several of the entrance roads of the town where the ark was moored, along with a large sign. Local churches supplied volunteers to help man the exhibit...

...As Johan Huibers sees it, his full size replica ark is not only a message to unbelievers or Christians who doubt Genesis. It is a message to all Christians to do something with our faith. He says: “It is so important that we pass on our faith and what we have learned on to others, not keep it to ourselves. Even though you are not perfect yet, yes, even when you might miss the mark in many aspects, just put hands and feet to your Christianity and put it into practice.”

There's another article about it in the NY Daily News, at Dutchman Johan Huibers completes 20-year quest to build full-scale, functioning model of Noah's Ark - NY Daily News

Here's a picture. The waterline looks modern because he had to build it on barges to comply with Dutch govt regulations.

noah12n-4-web.jpg

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A Dutchman named Johan Huibers has built a full-size ark in the Netherlands, and it floats. He plans to use it for evangelism.

More at A full size ark and it floats!

There's another article about it in the NY Daily News, at Dutchman Johan Huibers completes 20-year quest to build full-scale, functioning model of Noah's Ark - NY Daily News

Here's a picture. The waterline looks modern because he had to build it on barges to comply with Dutch govt regulations.

noah12n-4-web.jpg

Intriguing. Thanks for the info and the imagery - as it's very captivating :)

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

noah12n-4-web.jpg

One person complained that a full size ARK would break up in high waves as scientifically demonstrated with a model.
But I pointed out that there is no mention of high waves in the text.

Then they complained the animals would eat each other.
I pointed out the lack of windows and the likelihood the animals would hibernate the entire trip in such a dark space.

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
One person complained that a full size ARK would break up in high waves as scientifically demonstrated with a model.
But I pointed out that there is no mention of high waves in the text.
I don't know what demonstration that person was referring to, but I'm aware of an investigation that found the ark would have been extremely stable and could have navigated waves up to 30 meters in height.

It was done by the staff of the Korea Research Institute of Ships and Engineering in the 1990s. They verified their findings in a wave tank using scale models, and wrote a paper about it here: Safety investigation of Noah’s Ark in a seaway

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know what demonstration that person was referring to, but I'm aware of an investigation that found the ark would have been extremely stable and could have navigated waves up to 30 meters in height.

It was done by the staff of the Korea Research Institute of Ships and Engineering in the 1990s. They verified their findings in a wave tank using scale models, and wrote a paper about it here: Safety investigation of Noah’s Ark in a seaway

Being of box construction, that is logical. But no waves are mentioned in scripture, so the testing is not required.
Pumice could work as well.

http://www.eoearth.org/files/122101_122200/122124/250px-Pumice_Floating.jpg

Upvote 0