1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evangelical Reading List

Discussion in 'Baptists' started by D+C, Feb 14, 2012.

1. D+C

D+C Catechumen in the British Orthodox Church

Faith:
    Christian
    Hi all,

I am on something of a winding journey, and following some thoughtful prayer (and prayerful thought) and some excellent advice I am beginning to explore evangelical faith. My background is in Anglo Catholicism, but I am now wanting to immerse myself in evangelical history, theology, apologetics and culture to equip me to attend the independent baptist chapel in my new village.

I intend to re-read the Bible and have bought an ESV Study Bible to assist me, but what I am looking for is a comprehensive reading list to introduce me to the above topics. I have scoured the internet for such a list and have pretty much drawn a blank. Does anyone know of a good list as a starting point? Or maybe a few lists/recommendations to combine? Some British histories/authors would be appreciated!

Many thanks and God bless.
    D+C

2. Saved_n_kept

Saved_n_kept Pilgrim and Stranger

Faith:
    Presbyterian
    Hi D+C,

The Metropolitan Tabernacle Bookshop has a reading list. It is split into two parts, "startup" and "sequel." It might be some help.Read for the Lord - Books

God bless,

Brian. :)

3. D+C

Faith:
    Christian
    Thank you very much, a good starting point I feel. I think I need to blend a few together. For example William Lane Craig provides an excellent list on apologetics, whereas the list you have provided seems much more balanced.

4. Publius

Publius Guest

If you go to deeperstudy.com, they have a pretty exhaustive reading list for all subjects. I think Monergism.com does, too.

A good place to start would be the writing of S. Lewis Johnson.

5. D+C

Faith:
    Christian
    Thank you very much for your help so far. With your help I have identified four lists that seem to complement each other well.

Recommended Reading | Discipleship, Bible, Christian, Studies – C.S. Lewis Institute Classic texts from Lewis, Schaeffer, Edwards etc.

William Lane Craig's Recommended Apologetics Books - Apologetics 315 William Lane Craig's recommended apologetics

Read for the Lord - Books Quite exceptionally broad list

Cornerstone Baptist Church » Recommended Reading Explicitly Baptist list

6. Osage Bluestem

Osage Bluestem Galatians 5:1

Faith:
    Calvinist
    Excellent choice!

You selected the best study bible available in the English Language.

To begin with I would start with the London Baptist Confession of 1689 and CH Spurgeon's A Puritan Catechism.

Founders Ministries | A Faith to Confess: The 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith

A Puritan Catechism

These two documents are theological dynamite and outline in clear detail with scriptural proofs historic Baptist doctrine.

God bless, and best of luck with your efforts.

7. D+C

Faith:
    Christian
    Thank you very much, the Baptist Confession is now on the list and I have just downloaded the Catechism! Thank you for your help.

8. student ad x

student ad x Senior Contributor

Faith:
    Other-Religion
    Quite a bit of reading materials @ Doctrine & Theology

Peace

9. D+C

Faith:
    Christian