European weather deaths pass 100: Freezing weather brings death and disruption . . .

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The Gore Effect now spreads from Copenhagen to Texas :

As someone who survived this blizzard in Texas, let me clarify something for those who don't know much about geography here. The blizzard conditions were in a limited area outlined in the attached map. We got a inch or two of snow in Dallas, it melted and refroze Thur. night and was gone by noon Fri.

Here's the kicker though. We get snow in North Central Texas this time of year. We also have high winds at certain times of the year. We get a lot more high winds than we do snow however, which is likely why we've never had a blizzard recorded in these parts (Oklahoma has them all the time) until now - the conditions hadn't occured simultaneously.

And remember, you don't even need snow falling to have a blizzard, it's the wind that is the deciding factor.
Blizzard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scientists: "human influence is leading to higher average temperatures and disturbed weather patterns"

Voegelins: "look at this unusual weather from Texas! It's the best possible evidence that nothing is wrong!"

Winter precip isn't even all that unusual here. It's uncommon. If you look at the attached map, Wichita Falls (where I lived for 7 years), which was the epicenter of Thr. storm gets 3-4 winter events every year. Dallas-Fort Worth (16 years) gets 1-2 on average. In Jan. '87 Wichita Falls was glazed with snow and ice and we had take a drive south. The roads were clear by the time we made it to D-FW. On Thanksgiving '93 we had a huge icestorm in D-FW that shut down everything for 2 days. On Valentines '05 we had 3-5 inches of fat, wet fluffy snow that was wonderful, even if you had to drive on it like I did.

I think Voegelin had visions of Buffalo in '78, but almost all the snow is gone in less than 24 hours.

Freak weather patterns can be attributed to climate change...warming, cooling, more powerful, more eratic, more frequent.

Continuing what I was writing above, this storm and any winter precip we get this year is from a known source - El Nino. Contrary to the popular belief of some, it does get cold in North Texas and all we need is some Pacific moisture headed our why when there's a cold front and it's a White Christmas. :)

It's all about extremes cause remember, the sun doesn't give us HEAT, it gives us ENERGY. There is a difference.

Rambot could have phrased that more elegently, but he's right. Thermal heat doesn't travel well (at all actually) in a vacuum. What we receive from the sun is energy in the form of infrared radiation. Obviously it does manifest as heat once it contacts the atmosphere, but it's a different physical dynamic than when your furnace turns on and blows hot air into your living room.

Attachments

• texblizzard.GIF
    texblizzard.GIF
    138.9 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's all about extremes cause remember, the sun doesn't give us HEAT, it gives us ENERGY. There is a difference.

I know. Heat comes from the earth. Al Gore explains:

" . . .two kilometers or so down in most places there are these incredibly hot rocks, 'cause the interior of the earth is extremely hot, several million degrees, and the crust of the earth is hot . . ."

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I know. Heat comes from the earth.

That's what you get for getting your science from Al Gore, Lord Munckdun or newsbusters, or WorldNetDaily or Daily Kos, etc. etc.

Care to address anything I wrote in post #21?

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Al Gore not credible? Government school teachers showed his climate change movie in science classes around the country. He spoke at the COP15, he's testified before Congress. He won the Nobel Prize for his work on climate change. He's sold thousands and thousands of books and Democrats wanted him to be President.

What gives?

Post 21:I think Voegelin had visions of Buffalo in '78, but almost all the snow is gone in less than 24 hours.

I don't know Buffalo in '78. Does appear the snow at Christmas this year nationwide is similar to 77-78 however:

Nearly two thirds of the continental USA gets a white Christmas « Watts Up With That?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Al Gore not credible? Government school teachers showed his climate change movie in science classes around the country. He spoke at the COP15, he's testified before Congress. He won the Nobel Prize for his work on climate change. He's sold thousands and thousands of books and Democrats wanted him to be President.

What gives?
Al Gore is not a credible scientist. He is a credible public speaker.

That said, since you rarely debate on the scientific side of the argument, I can see your desire to continually make this about a someone who happenned to be successful at Toastmasters.

Rambot could have phrased that more elegently, but he's right. Thermal heat doesn't travel well (at all actually) in a vacuum. What we receive from the sun is energy in the form of infrared radiation. Obviously it does manifest as heat once it contacts the atmosphere, but it's a different physical dynamic than when your furnace turns on and blows hot air into your living room. .
Thanks for the clarification.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Al Gore not credible? Government school teachers showed his climate change movie in science classes around the country.

Good for them. My journalism teacher showed us Absence of Malice to give us a base understanding of libel.

He spoke at the COP15, he's testified before Congress.

So didn't Bono and Mark McGuire respectively. So what?

He won the Nobel Prize for his work on climate change.

PEACE Prize Voegelin. Peace Prize.

He's sold thousands and thousands of books and Democrats wanted him to be President.

Oh man, it's softballs like these that make me love the Internet... So hasn't Sarah Palin and conservatives want her for President. And what's her contribution to Copenhagen and the AWG debate? These two Tweets.

Sarah Palin said:
Copenhgen=arrogance of man2think we can change nature's ways.MUST b good stewards of God's earth,but arrogant&naive2say man overpwers nature
Sarah Palin said:
Earth saw clmate chnge4 ions;will cont 2 c chnges.R duty2responsbly devlop resorces4humankind/not pollute&destroy;but cant alter naturl chng

I don't know Buffalo in '78. Does appear the snow at Christmas this year nationwide is similar to 77-78 however:

Isn't El Nino great?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟361,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Originally Posted by Sarah Palin
Copenhgen=arrogance of man2think we can change nature's ways.MUST b good stewards of God's earth,but arrogant&naive2say man overpwers nature
Originally Posted by Sarah Palin
Earth saw clmate chnge4 ions;will cont 2 c chnges.R duty2responsbly devlop resorces4humankind/not pollute&destroy;but cant alter naturl chng
Those are not quotes from an elected governor....:o

Arrogant to say that man "overpwers nature"? I wonder what she understands the study and implimentation of science to be.

Upvote 0

Mystman

Atheist with a Reason
Jun 24, 2005
✟22,286.00
Faith
Atheist

Arrogant to say that man "overpwers nature"? I wonder what she understands the study and implimentation of science to be.

just incase anyone is wondering about her ..interesting... typing style: both messages are exactly 140 characters long, the maximum that a "tweet" can be..

As for the content: yeah, it's kinda sad that those are quotes from an elected governor. Go democracy!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟361,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
just incase anyone is wondering about her ..interesting... typing style: both messages are exactly 140 characters long, the maximum that a "tweet" can be..

As for the content: yeah, it's kinda sad that those are quotes from an elected governor. Go democracy!
That's why I don't get tweets or that whole twitter thing.
Why not just make two tweets so you don't read like a dyslexic chimp with a frontal lobotomy?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

They are Tweets. I was skeptical at first, but did a Google search and they showed up all over the place including Freerepublic and some Palin for Prez blog.

That's why I don't get tweets or that whole twitter thing.
Why not just make two tweets so you don't read like a dyslexic chimp with a frontal lobotomy?

In this JREF forum thread two people tried to convey her sentiment in clear English and under 140 characters. Here's the results.
Alan said:
1) Regarding the Copenhagen Summit, we must be good stewards of God’s earth but people who think they can change nature are arrogant. (130 characters including spaces)

2) We must use resources responsibly instead of polluting but we can’t stop the Earth's climate from undergoing its natural changes. (129 characters including spaces)

Hokulele said:
1) The Copenhagen summit simply shows our arrogance. We were put here by God as stewards, not owners. (98 characters)

2) Earth always has been subject to climate change and always will. We are responsible for our actions, but not for natural change. (128 characters)

So it is possible to comment succinctly and coherently via Tiwtter and not sound like a vapid 14 year old.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I can already see this is going to derail-global warming.

So I will comment, then confirm my susp.
I am commenting on page one posts only.
Holy cow! It's cold... in Europe... in December!!! Clearly this means Global Warming is a fraud.

This cold this fast is a record-I believe.
100 dead? People living without shelter tend to die in extreme weather.
I thought Europe was suppose to be so much better then the States.
They actually have homless people in Europe?
With their utopian social welfare, I thought people living on the streets would have to choose to do so?

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Come on people, haven't you figured it out by now?

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Global warming-when anything happens out of the ordinary, it supports the global warming theory-hot, cold, mild weather, severe weather, excessive rain, excesssive snow, extreme cold, extreme heat, earth quakes, toranados, hurricanes, etc, it all proves Global warming and we should divert all funds not used to suppport social handouts to trying to correct the problem, even spend trillions we don't have to fix a problem that is so obvious(with all the "different" weather patterns) to the more inteligent people of the world. [/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Nothing that is happening in the world, supports global cooling, not even if the temp's are declining.[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']heat+120degrees f, cold -30 below zero(f), high winds, draughts, excessive rain only mean one thing, the earth is heating up, and the evil human is to blame.[/FONT]

The sun gives us energy, not heat?
Who ever said that needs to get to rehab.
Cloudy places are cool, sunny places are hot. Its not a core thing.
Places closer to the equator are hotter then places farther away. This is because they get the sun(heat) more then the places farther away.

People quote these...people?

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This cold this fast is a record-I believe.
100 dead? People living without shelter tend to die in extreme weather.
I thought Europe was suppose to be so much better then the States.
They actually have homless people in Europe?
With their utopian social welfare, I thought people living on the streets would have to choose to do so?

OP said:
In Poland, where temperatures have dropped to as low as -20C in some areas, police appealed for tip-offs about people spotted lying around outside. At least 42 people, most of them homeless, died over the weekend.

In Ukraine 27 people have frozen to death since the thermometer dropped last week. Authorities in Romania said 11 people had succumbed to the chill, and in the Czech Republic the toll was 12. In Germany, where temperatures have fallen to -33C in certain parts, at least seven people are known to have lost their lives in the freezing weather.

As you might notice, that's the "New Europe", so hailed by the US conservatives. Apparently, there is no greater freedom™ than the freedom to freeze to death without that "utopian" government interference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Or it could be that people are taking their cues from the global warming alarmists who never missed a chance to link every hot summer day to man made causes. Now that it is cold, they claim that weather and climate are two different things.

Oh WOW, you got it PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::clap::clap::clap:^_^^_^^_^^_^

Upvote 0
W

Wormdirt

Scientists: "human influence is leading to higher average temperatures and disturbed weather patterns"

Voegelins: "look at this unusual weather from Texas! It's the best possible evidence that nothing is wrong!"

Rest of humanity: :mmh:
[Poli-]Scientists: "We lied, we concocted, we fabricated data to make it match our poli-sci pre-conceived world-view of what we wanted the data to say - and we have the emails to prove it."

Rational Human Beings: "We know - and we didn't need your emails to know it either."

Rest of Humanity: "Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune?"

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟361,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Come on people, haven't you figured it out by now?

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Global warming-when anything happens out of the ordinary, it supports the global warming theory-hot, cold, mild weather, severe weather, excessive rain, excesssive snow, extreme cold, extreme heat, earth quakes, toranados, hurricanes, etc, it all proves Global warming and we should divert all funds not used to suppport social handouts to trying to correct the problem, even spend trillions we don't have to fix a problem that is so obvious(with all the "different" weather patterns) to the more inteligent people of the world. [/font]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Nothing that is happening in the world, supports global cooling, not even if the temp's are declining.[/font]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']heat+120degrees f, cold -30 below zero(f), high winds, draughts, excessive rain only mean one thing, the earth is heating up, and the evil human is to blame.[/font]

The sun gives us energy, not heat?
Who ever said that needs to get to rehab.
Cloudy places are cool, sunny places are hot. Its not a core thing.
Places closer to the equator are hotter then places farther away. This is because they get the sun(heat) more then the places farther away.

People quote these...people?
During this past fall, when my hometown had very unseasonably warm weather, I put up a sarcastic post stating how the the warm weather in November must indicate that climate change is occurring.

Why is it that ACC supporters can make the connection between the hilarity of singular events being used to explain global warming but ACC detractors use it as an actual basis for (what they consider to be) a "well reasoned argument"? Do you guys really just not get it?

Upvote 0
W

Wormdirt

During this past fall, when my hometown had very unseasonably warm weather, I put up a sarcastic post stating how the the warm weather in November must indicate that climate change is occurring.
"Anecdotal" data - irrelevant :p

Why is it that ACC supporters can make the connection between the hilarity of singular events being used to explain global warming but ACC detractors use it as an actual basis for (what they consider to be) a "well reasoned argument"? Do you guys really just not get it?
No, we don't "get it" at all - particularly when the "it" is so utterly incredible and so demonstrably and singularly political.

What we don't "get" is how ACC worshippers put their faith so blindly in such hogwash and how they totally fail to see the political agenda driving the whole hoax in the first place.

It makes no sense whatsoever to construct any manner of "well-reasoned" argument to attack something that lacks any credible reason in the first place. Indeed, any such "construct" as might be presented would do little more than serve as "proof" to the ACC worshippers that their faith is indeed properly based on all the "signs" they so diligently seek as evidence of their faith. One glimpse in these threads would prove that. "Attack" is the surest proof the suds of brainwashing are working to those whose minds which have already been thus cleansed.

This argument isn't about the weather or climate - it's about a few people's ill-advised search for a "King" - a human-run, human-led institution that will govern and protect their threatened lives. It's about quelling insecurity and fear, and seeking for that entity that will promise anything, do anything, say anything to make them "feel" better that they are in control.

No, we don't "get it." Why should we? Why should we succumb to the same fears and insecurities as those who're seeking any shred of "proof" that their blind, misplaced faith in [human] government is somehow warranted?

ACC worshippers be "warmed" - or, be "cooled" - or, if you prefer, be "changed" by your trust in this hoax, its attendant "signs," and those behind its short creation - for assuredly, with such faith all temperatures, all climates, all weathers are justifiable - and all consequences possible - possible that is if you truly "believe." :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
"Anecdotal" data - irrelevant :p

No, we don't "get it" at all - particularly when the "it" is so utterly incredible and so demonstrably and singularly political.

What we don't "get" is how ACC worshippers put their faith so blindly in such hogwash and how they totally fail to see the political agenda driving the whole hoax in the first place.

It makes no sense whatsoever to construct any manner of "well-reasoned" argument to attack something that lacks any credible reason in the first place. Indeed, any such "construct" as might be presented would do little more than serve as "proof" to the ACC worshippers that their faith is indeed properly based on all the "signs" they so diligently seek as evidence of their faith. One glimpse in these threads would prove that. "Attack" is the surest proof the suds of brainwashing are working to those whose minds which have already been thus cleansed.

This argument isn't about the weather or climate - it's about a few people's ill-advised search for a "King" - a human-run, human-led institution that will govern and protect their threatened lives. It's about quelling insecurity and fear, and seeking for that entity that will promise anything, do anything, say anything to make them "feel" better that they are in control.

No, we don't "get it." Why should we? Why should we succumb to the same fears and insecurities as those who're seeking any shred of "proof" that their blind, misplaced faith in [human] government is somehow warranted?

ACC worshippers be "warmed" - or, be "cooled" - or, if you prefer, be "changed" by your trust in this hoax, its attendant "signs," and those behind its short creation - for assuredly, with such faith all temperatures, all climates, all weathers are justifiable - and all consequences possible - possible that is if you truly "believe." :thumbsup:

Exactly!
:doh:^_^^_^^_^^_^

Upvote 0