Number 81

ಠ_ಠ
Mar 31, 2003
✟2,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
OK I have this friend who has always claimed to be Jewish. Today with this summer group run by my Parish's youth ministry (it's open to everyone, even non parishioners and non Catholics) we went to Mass before going on a trip to an amusement park. My friend sat next to me, and was right in front of me on the line to communion. About half way up there I noticed that something was wrong; he wasn't Catholic, and he was in line for communion. I really didn't know what to do, it was somewhat unexpected, as I thought I knew him and he was a good guy, he very well knew that the Eucharist was reserved for Catholics (The person in charge of the summer group made it clear several times this week, and each time he was present). So I thought that maybe the whole Jewish thing was just him being silly (Which is pretty much what he does all the time).
After mass I asked him that if he is Jewish then why did he go to receive the blessed sacrament (pretty sure that his answer would confirm my suspicions that he is Catholic and the Jewish thing is just a joke). His answer was that he said he is Jewish and that he was just hungry.
It was really at this point that my heavily anticipated day with my friends at the amusement park turned into a drama filled day that I just really want to forget...
I was really confused, I had known him for years and he was a very nice guy, I tried to make it known that I didn't approve, but he kind of shrugged it off went somewhere else.
I asked the person in charge of the summer group (Who knows him well) and she said that he was born, baptized, and raised Catholic, but the fact that he tells everyone he is Jewish that she has told him that he shouldn't recieve.
I tried confronting him about it multiple times in the next few hours, but he was adamant on refusing an apology, and after another joke about abortion that offended one of my other (much closer) friends we just kind of unloaded him off on some other group and went on our way, but the entire day it just bothered me.
I knew the whole "I was hungry" thing was just one of his jokes, albiet highly innapropriate; a lot of people went up to recieve and I have my doubts that they all believe in the true presence. But the fact that he was right in front of me when it happened, and all I really had to do was reach out and ask him why he is in line really maked me feel guilty (although I was highly confused and didn't really want to make a big scene) but it was Jesus, wouldn't it be ok to make a big scene for something that important? The arguments just keep going back and forth in my head. I'm starting to feel like everything is just getting too much for me...
I'm going to a saturday morning confession and mass service (hoping to make this a regular thing), so maybe that will help a little... but does anyone know of any devotionals I can do in repiration for sins against the blessed sacrament? I know it is very specific, but we have devotionals for everything, so if someone could link to one it would make me feel a lot better...

Reactions: Febe

Woodsy

Returned From Afar.
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2003
Pacific NW
✟35,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My gosh. I can't answer your ultimate question, but I just have to say that you probably handled it better than I would have, but then again, I'm the one with a temper.

What a disgusting and utterly disrespectful thing for him to do. I would be very angry also.
Perhaps praying that the Spirit speak to him about why what he did was wrong, and how to make amends. If I were on my best behavior, I'd pray also for him, that he be given the mercy he doesn't know enough to ask for for himself, and to apologize to the Lord (even though you did nothing wrong) like you would apologize for a disruptive houseguest.
Those are my thoughts. You were correct to express your disapproval. He may have been dismissive because he's not used to being called on his "jokes" and felt embarassed.

Whatever the case, God bless you and him and all of us sinners.

Pax Tecum,
Matthew

Upvote 0

Number 81

ಠ_ಠ
Mar 31, 2003
✟2,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think a lot of the trouble stems from the fact that
A) He didn't know how serious I take the Eucharist
B) He didn't mean any offense by what he said
C) He refuses to apologize due to reason B
We weren't close friends, not like someone you would turn to for help, but the fact that he shows absolutely no remorse for offending me along with the offensive abortion joke that seriously offended my other, closer friend.

Upvote 0

PolskiKrol

Teemo support OP
Jun 16, 2004
✟2,437.00
Faith
Catholic
Jesus doesn't care about Himself being desecrated, not even one bit; He's only concerned about your friend, and the best devotion I can think of is anything that would expidiate his conversion. Jesus is a physical part of him now, even if he doesn't think so and denies it; we can hope that one day he will be in full acceptance of the life he now shares with the Lord.

Upvote 0

Febe

Dec 13, 2005
Gothenburg, Sweden.
✟4,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
:hug: I'ld say that You acted correct! He IS baptised and raised Catholic. It is possible that He had been to confession and wanted to recieve the Eucharist because he wanted to meet Jesus, as his Lord. It is possible! Therefore, You'ld have no right to stop him! But Your asking afterwards showed him that this IS serious! And even if he didn't show it, he must have noticed and taken impression... As it is now - pray a lot for him; he needs it!
Wouldn't it be just great if Your prayers and Your friendship helps this guy back to his Catholic belief, back to confession, back to the communion line as a repent sinner...:crossrc:

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think Polskikrol is right. Jesus will handle this. Sounds like a conversion of heart in your friend's future.

Now, a devotion for reparation of the offences against the Eucharist--Adoration, frequent going before the Tabernacle and spending some time with Him. (I know that Christ knows you love Him, but I know I don't tire of saying it to Him.)

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟437,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
When I invite friends to Mass....I made it certain that if they receive unworthily they will commit judgement upon themselves.

And that they cannot receive without being to confession or being Catholic.

Peace sweetie. Its got to be rough. :(

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.