Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I am saddened by the new legislation. Some kind of "sustainability" regulation (i.e. only allowed to purchase things which have passed a sustainability test) would have been a better idea. They basically did it because its a popular idea because baby seals are cute.

Thats my opinion as well though the propaganda and most people won't take the time to learn about the hunt for themselves. Photos of baby seals are paraded all over the place yet white coats aren't even legally allowed to be killed. Its all a bunch of nonsense!

Upvote 0

ulu

Sep 15, 2005
underground
✟12,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
FAQs: The Atlantic seal hunt

How does the seal hunt benefit Canada?

The economic value of the seal hunt is another one of those things that is open to interpretation. The federal government says the landed value of seals exceeded $16.5 million in 2005, providing a "significant" source of income for thousands of sealers — benefiting them and their families at a time when, according to the DFO, "other fishing options are unavailable, or limited at best, in many remote, coastal communities."

Source: 2007 data from Department of Fisheries and Oceans
The DFO says the 2005 seal catch ranked fifth in value of all the species it monitors, after snow crab, shrimp, lobster, and cod.
The DFO also says the 2006 seal catch was one of the most profitable in memory, a combination of a higher allowable catch and a high price for pelts. Since then, however, the total allowable catch has been cut by 100,000 seals and the price for the best pelts has dropped from $105 in 2006 to an expected $15 in 2009.
Still, seal amounts to only a fraction of the $600-million Newfoundland fishery. But for some sealers, it represents up to one-third of their annual income. And in a province with jobless rates north of 15 per cent, they say that means even more.
The DFO and Newfoundland and Labrador estimate that around 5,000 to 6,000 people derive some income from sealing, about one per cent of the provincial population.
The governments argue that's a substantial number for rural communities, and comparable to other industries.
"Although sealing may seem to be a minor industry within the larger economy, many locally-important industries share this characteristic," the DFO website states. "For example, crop production and forestry each account for less than one per cent of Canadian GDP, but their local economic importance is undisputable."
Not so fast, say the anti-sealing groups. The IFAW describes the contribution of sealing to Newfoundland's GDP as "trivial" and says after costs and indirect subsidies are taken into account (patrolling the hunt, upgrading plants, promoting the hunt, developing new markets for seal products and supporting research to find new products), Canadians would "likely find that the hunt actually costs the Canadian taxpayer money."
It's a pointless activity, in the view of the IFAW, which says, "the only economically valuable part of the seal is its fur, a non-essential luxury product that no one really needs."
The DFO flatly denies that it subsidizes the seal hunt. It also denies charges that the seal hunt is not sustainable. It says Canada's seal population is "healthy and abundant" at about 5.6 million animals and triple what it was in the 1970s.
But the IFAW says the hunt has become a "cull, designed more to achieve short-term political objectives than those of a biologically sustainable hunt." For one thing, the group says Canada's management plan fails to account for wide variations in the natural mortality rates among seal pups.
A critique from Greenpeace also said the quotas are "scientifically indefensible" because they don't take into account the actual number of seals killed in the hunt — including those that are "struck and lost," or discarded because of pelt damage.

I live near toronto. Here, as in most of the world, when technology and/or changing times make your job obsolete, you are forced to learn a new field. Maybe it's time for the few sealers who get 1/3 of their annual income from the killing to learn something new.

Upvote 0

Drekkan85

Immortal until proven otherwise
Dec 9, 2008
Japan
✟23,051.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
Except that once again you don't address the fact that without the hunt seal populations would rise out of control. Not only would the seals die anyway, but they'd likely fish Cod stocks to extinction. That not only destroys all the fishery jobs, but also would lead to the extinction of the seals.

Law of unintended consequences.

This also fails to address the fact that Canada has already started the process of taking the EU to the WTO for arbitration. Congrats EU - you've just harmed your own economies too! Yay, let's make life worse for thousands of humans just because of a few non-sentient animals!

Upvote 0

ulu

Sep 15, 2005
underground
✟12,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Except that once again you don't address the fact that without the hunt seal populations would rise out of control. Not only would the seals die anyway, but they'd likely fish Cod stocks to extinction. That not only destroys all the fishery jobs, but also would lead to the extinction of the seals."

One side says this would happen, the other says it wouldn't.

This also fails to address the fact that Canada has already started the process of taking the EU to the WTO for arbitration.

What's your last point? Obviously the canadian gov is in favor of the event. That's not disputed, nor does it mean it's right or wrong.

Upvote 0

Drekkan85

Dec 9, 2008
Japan
✟23,051.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
What's your last point? Obviously the canadian gov is in favor of the event. That's not disputed, nor does it mean it's right or wrong.

Because some things are more important than seals. The EU had to know that Canada would take them to WTO arbitration. This is a quick summary of what will happen (using the history of how the WTO rules in illegal trade barrier cases):

1) Canada will win the case
2) Canada will choose compensation
3) The WTO will order the EU to compensate Canada for the lost revenues from the seal trade
4) The EU will likely choose to ignore the WTO's order
5) The WTO will then give Canada permission to level not just retaliatory but now punitive tariffs against the EU.

The end result will be those that benefited from the seal hunt (not just the hunters/their families but also those who were engaged in supporting it via selling goods to hunters, providing accommodation etc) will be severely hurt. Those in the industries that Canada chooses to tariff will be hurt. Peoples lives will be ruined.

All because some idiotic organizations make up lies and propaganda about a process that's necessary to curtail seal populations.

Upvote 0

Chajara

iEdit
Jan 9, 2005
Milwaukee
Visit site
✟12,941.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green

Do you eat chicken or eggs from your local grocery store? Are you aware of the conditions those chickens are kept in? Let me clue you in:

1znbifd.jpg

If you complain about the cute widdle baby seals while supporting an industry that shoves a bunch of chickens into a tiny wire cage and lets them lay themselves to death, you are a hypocrite. Oh, and just in case that didn't make you go crazy, here's what they do to all those cute adorable fluffy yet non-productive and therefore unprofitable male chicks:

fmhxeh.jpg

They gas them! Yep, just like those adorable baby seals, baby chicks are culled en masse.

My point in posting these pictures is for the purposes of education. I don't think a lot of people realize that much worse things go on every single day on a scale an order of magnitude more massive than the annual seal hunt. Makes it easy to cry over baby seals when you don't realize the suffering that goes on every single day just so people can have cheap eggs and meat. Well, now you know. Glad to be of service. :)

Upvote 0

Drekkan85

Dec 9, 2008
Japan
✟23,051.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
Also. Do you know how inhumane fumigation is? I demand we end pointless and dangerously irresponsible cockroach hunts! You don't like sharing your homes with cockroaches? Too bad! Those little guys have feelings too you know! /sniff

Upvote 0

ulu

Sep 15, 2005
underground
✟12,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm aware of the horrific cruelty that occurs everyday in the food industry. The fact that it exists is no excuse for allowing other needless cruelty.
No need for ridicule here, or to try to steer the discussion into a personal fight.
Anyone who claims the EU ban has ruined their life, is, in my opinion, out of touch with reality. I have nothing more to add.

Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm aware of the horrific cruelty that occurs everyday in the food industry. The fact that it exists is no excuse for allowing other needless cruelty.
No need for ridicule here, or to try to steer the discussion into a personal fight.
Anyone who claims the EU ban has ruined their life, is, in my opinion, out of touch with reality. I have nothing more to add.

You do eat cage free meat and eggs correct?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Someone might have said this, but
humans tend to kill off the carnivorous population controller,
and then the lesser animals they controlled become a menace to society.
Killing off fish that the original humans need to survive, which makes the humans
become the vicious killer of the animals.
2 options: kill the seals like we do.
Or repopulate the Alaskan wolves, and other carnivores that will do the dirty work
out of necessity.(and having to tolerate the occasional human casualty.)
Even if we take the humans out of the equation, the fish population will be wiped out by the seals over eating in the area. Thus further damaging the eco-structure.

Upvote 0