Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I recently wrote an essay for my church newsletter outlining the pitfalls of Intelligent Design theology (inspired by some threads in this forum). Unfortunately, my essay was rejected because the editor thought it might be too confusing to the congregation. I'm posting it here in the hopes of getting some feedback before I consider submitting it elsewhere (apologies for the poor formatting -- that's how it posts). Comments from people of all faiths and persuasions are welcome.

Dangerous by Design:

The Threat of Intelligent Design to the Christian Faith

For decades, the evolution-creation debate has raged on in classrooms, courtrooms, and on tailgates across North America. Creationism has long tried to cast doubt on evolutionary theory by resorting to explanations like canopy theory, catastrophic plate tectonics, and flood geology – none of which have been accepted by the scientific community. Recently, the creation movement has tried a new tactic of introducing religion into the science classroom, under the guise of Intelligent Design (ID). ID holds to the idea that life and the universe are too complex to have come about by an undirected process such as evolution, and that instead, an unnamed “intelligent designer” must have created everything ex nihilo (from nothing).
The teaching of ID in the public classroom was put before the U.S. courts last November in Dover, Pennsylvania. After a month of deliberation, ID was ruled both unscientific and unconstitutional by the presiding judge (a conservative Christian).1 Of particular interest to the lay-Christian, however, are the dangerous theological aspects of the ID movement that threaten the Christian faith itself. These concerns are expressed below.

God of the Gaps
As a concept still largely in its infancy, Intelligent Design has little supporting evidence. ID advocates usually toe the party line by arguing the controversial concept of “irreducible complexity.” An irreducibly complex system is one which could not function if it were missing even a single part. Examples of purportedly irreducibly complex systems include the immune system, the blood clotting system, and the bacterial flagellum (that wiggly little “tail” that some single-celled bacteria use to move around).2 As the argument goes, because these complex systems could not have evolved from simpler ones bearing the same function, some supernatural intelligent designer (i.e., God) must have created them in their present forms.
Unfortunately for ID, irreducible complexity is just another example of what has come to be known as a ‘God of the Gaps’ argument. This is a method of attesting to God’s existence by pointing to gaps in our present knowledge of how things work (a logical fallacy known as argumentum ad ignorantiam, or argument from ignorance). Christians should avoid resorting to such arguments for the simple reason that science is in the business of filling in those gaps in our knowledge. For example, while ID advocates contend that the irreducibly complex bacterial flagellum requires an intelligent designer, recent scientific research has shown that the flagellum is not, in fact, irreducibly complex. The key is that, although the individual parts of the flagellum cannot produce propulsion on their own, their successive piecing-together into an increasingly complex structure nonetheless elicits benefits unrelated to propulsion along the way (such as waste excretion).3 These benefits are accessible to natural selection (a mechanism of biological evolution, sometimes called “survival of the fittest”), so there is no scientific reason why the flagellum could not have evolved. The fault in the IDist line of reasoning is that so-called irreducibly complex systems do not necessarily bear the same function as they evolve.
So, if the bacterial flagellum is not irreducibly complex, does that mean God doesn’t exist?
Of course not! We know that God is capable of carrying out his plan through any means He pleases, be it naturally (e.g., Leviticus 26:4) or miraculously (e.g., Matthew 1:23). But by relying on ‘God of the Gaps’ type arguments as a means of testifying to His existence, we put our faith in danger every time science answers another problematic question, thereby reducing God’s role in the world by pushing Him into the ever-shrinking gaps in our knowledge. As Lutheran pastor, theologian and martyr Dietrich Bonhoeffer put it, “Such a reductionist view of God, no matter how well intended, is idolatry or even sacrilege of a sinister sort.”4 We can avoid such traps by seeing God at work in all of the world’s processes, be they natural or supernatural, not just those we cannot yet fully explain (Romans 1:20).

Pandora’s Box
Another shortcoming of Intelligent Design came to light recently at the aforementioned trial in Dover. Here, biochemistry professor and author Michael Behe defended the position of ID and argued that it ought to be taught in the classroom as science. He maintained that the current definition of science, being limited to examining only natural phenomena (an established practice called ‘methodological naturalism’), was too restrictive and ought to be expanded so as to include the possibility of a supernatural designer. Under cross-examination, Behe was asked whether his new definition of science might be so broad as to include such unchristian pseudosciences as astrology. He responded by saying:

“Under my definition, a scientific theory is a proposed explanation which focuses or points to physical, observable data and logical inferences. There are many things throughout the history of science which we now think to be incorrect which nonetheless would fit that… definition. Yes, astrology is in fact one, and so is the ether theory of the propagation of light, and many other… theories as well.”5

Many Christians are anxious to open up the science classroom doors to supernatural interpretations of the world, but don’t realize that what they are really opening is a Pandora’s Box of unchristian ideas and practices. Once ID is taught as a science, one could easily argue that in the same ‘interest of fairness’ such topics as Scientology, phrenology or palmistry be taught as well. After all, if we remove the yardstick of methodological naturalism from science, as Behe wishes he could do, we have no way of objectively ruling out any one of these explanations. The theory of evolution, on the other hand, like the theories of gravity and heliocentrism, is rooted in methodological naturalism and can therefore say nothing for or against the existence of God. It is theologically neutral and poses no threat to our fundamental belief in Christ as our Saviour.

Borderline Scientism
Most scientists would be happy to draw such a line between science and religion, viewing them as distinct-but-compatible ways of attaining knowledge about our place in the universe. Many researchers perceive the natural order by which the universe operates as evidence for God, as revealed through science. But only through the Scriptures can we learn about the nature of our Lord and about His plan for our salvation. Without explicitly saying so, however, Intelligent Design seeks to elevate the status of scientific inquiry above that of religious faith. It seeks to subject our faith to the rigours of scientific inquiry in the hopes of empirically validating it – as though science has the last say on the issues of knowledge and understanding. As spiritual Christians, of course, we know that this is not true, and can attest to the workings of God in our lives even if they are not subject to scientific inquiry. We know that the Genesis story, the poetry of the Psalms and the testimony of the Gospels each resonate with truth irrespective of whether or not they are supported by science. What ID promotes is something all people of faith should fear. That is ontological naturalism (or ‘scientism’) – the belief that science alone is capable of ascertaining truth. As Christians, we know otherwise (John 14:6).

The hazards and inadequacies of Intelligent Design are numerous, but I will cut myself short here. My point in writing this piece is not to erode our faith in God’s Word. But know that, despite what ID supporters might insist, by definition God’s hand in creation cannot be detected by science, so nor must our faith be substantiated by science. Jesus himself once said, “Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed” (John 20:29). It is entirely okay to hold a faith-based view of the world so long as we do not confuse it for a scientific one and vise versa. Perhaps it is for this reason that God assigns separate roles to church (Matthew 28:19-20) and state (Romans 13:1-7), so that we do not unnecessarily endanger our faith by subjecting one to the other. In fact, we are told by God time and again that the Christian education of our children is up the parents (Ephesians 6:4; Proverbs 29:15; Proverbs 23:13), not the public school teachers. With these things in mind, I can’t help but think that rather than forcing religion into the science classroom, as Christians we should take a page from our own book and leave science well enough alone. After all, people are brought to faith through the testimony of the Gospel (Mark 13:10; Mark 16:15; Romans 1:16; 1 Corinthians 15:2; 2 Thessalonians 2:14), not through the testimony of science.

1 To view a copy of the court decision, see: http://www.pamd.uscourts.gov/kitzmiller/kitzmiller_342.pdf
2 Behe, M. J. 1998. Darwin's Black Box: The Biochemical Challenge to Evolution. Free Press: New York.
3 Miller, K. R. 1999. Finding Darwin’s God. Cliff Street Books: New York.
4 Bonhoeffer, D. 1997. Letters and Papers from Prison. Touchstone: New York.
5 Quoted from Dover trial transcript at: http://www.pamd.uscourts.gov/kitzmiller/kitzmiller_342.pdf

Reactions: Dannager

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think we need a good example of reducible complexity, some invention that could be cobbled together from other tools, which them lost the unnecessary parts of the originals. By ID definition that is now irreducible because the original parts no longer work. There is the webpage showing how to build a reducibly complex mousetrap http://udel.edu/%7Emcdonald/mousetrap.html

But we need an even simpler domestic example. Something Heath-Robinson if you have come across him.
torto2.gif

www.show.me.uk/ site/news/STO790.html
The later versions of this wonderful invention might show little trace of the cartwheels and bicycles that made up the original.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Mallon said:
I recently wrote an essay for my church newsletter outlining the pitfalls of Intelligent Design theology (inspired by some threads in this forum). Unfortunately, my essay was rejected because the editor thought it might be too confusing to the congregation. I'm posting it here in the hopes of getting some feedback before I consider submitting it elsewhere (apologies for the poor formatting -- that's how it posts). Comments from people of all faiths and persuasions are welcome.
First I want to say I totally agree with the editor here for not putting this in the church newsletter. He probably was trying to be nice by saying "it might be too confusing to the congregation." More likey is would be "too boring" for the majority of people.
it's kind of like those redneck jokes; "you might be an egghead if you talk about bacterial flagellum to your friends."
"you might be an egghead if you try to convince your chuch that ID is a threat to their faith"
Your paper reads too much like "The sky is falling" or "the British is coming" "hit the panic button"

Since you was addressing this to the church I will focus more on your use of scripture toward the end to see if there is any abused since obviuosly those in church would be familar with the scriptures.

...What ID promotes is something all people of faith should fear.
( By now most christians would be a sleep. I doubt too many would feel fear)
That is ontological naturalism (or ‘scientism’) – the belief that science alone is capable of ascertaining truth. As Christians, we know otherwise (John 14:6).
Funny I heard this same claim about evolutionists
The hazards and inadequacies of Intelligent Design are numerous, but I will cut myself short here. My point in writing this piece is not to erode our faith in God’s Word. But know that, despite what ID supporters might insist, by definition God’s hand in creation cannot be detected by science, so nor must our faith be substantiated by science.
Who says you can't detect God hand in his creation even by science/nature especially? This seems to me your assumption but not everyone's. A average christians can see "design" in nature without read any science articles. It seems to me you got to be brainwashed not to see "design" or God's hand in his creation/nature.
Jesus himself once said, “Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed” (John 20:29). It is entirely okay to hold a faith-based view of the world so long as we do not confuse it for a scientific one and vise versa.
I fail to see how John 20:29 back up your claim you can't detect God's hand in nature/creation. Plus Jesus spended 3 years performing miracles /evidence to back he is who he says he is. This just implies there a special blessing to those beleivers who haven't seen in person the risen Saviour.
Perhaps it is for this reason that God assigns separate roles to church (Matthew 28:19-20) and state (Romans 13:1-7), so that we do not unnecessarily endanger our faith by subjecting one to the other.
It seems to be twist scripture to support your point of view which clearly does not. you are being misleading here since these scriptures saying nothing for or againest Democracy. (the scripture does have King / Priest separate roles where Jesus Christ is both King and Priest)Also it noted that ID isn't a threat to Democracy since they obey the laws and any judge order. When the judge ordered to have those stickers remove the school board did just that. Sorry I fail to see "the sky is falling" here.
In fact, we are told by God time and again that the Christian education of our children is up the parents (Ephesians 6:4; Proverbs 29:15; Proverbs 23:13), not the public school teachers.
This is a joke. These scriptures says no such thing (public school teachers). In fact In Galatians 3:24 says" Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ..." a schoolmaster here was a salve who job was to raise and teach his master children. While they were children the schoolmaster had authority over the child. But when the child growed up (became a man) he was no longer subject to the schoolmaster. there is no mention of a public school teacher in scripture or what they should or shouldn't teach. Parents should be incvolved what being taught in public schools and vote accordingly
With these things in mind, I can’t help but think that rather than forcing religion into the science classroom, as Christians we should take a page from our own book and leave science well enough alone.
By science you seems to be referring to Darwinism. It's possible to accept most of science but reject one division of it; evolution/Darwinism, globel warming,Seti, etc. Why should anyone totally accepted anything and everything that claim to be science? I don't totally agree with my pastor nor my parents for that matter.
After all, people are brought to faith through the testimony of the Gospel (Mark 13:10; Mark 16:15; Romans 1:16; 1 Corinthians 15:2; 2 Thessalonians 2:14), not through the testimony of science.
Since those in the church will look at how you handle the scriptures you credibility will be judged of how you used them. To me you lost your credibility by trying to make the scripture support or says something it doesn't ... the very thing you are trying to claim on others.

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Thanks to all who have replied so far, especially Smidlee for his cutting comments. Your input will hopefully help me to better shape my essay.
Willtor said:
Would you say your Church is predominantly YEC, ID, TE, a good mix?
I could only guess -- it's not a hot topic in my church. My pastor teaches YEC, however, so I would imagine most others would follow.
Smidlee said:
He probably was trying to be nice by saying "it might be too confusing to the congregation." More likey is would be "too boring" for the majority of people.
I'm sorry you feel that way. Having just finished writing two papers for science journals, I guess I may still be in technical-writing mode. I hope the subject matter is interesting to others at some level, though. I think these sort of theological considerations should be considered by every mature Christian at one time or another.
it's kind of like those redneck jokes... Since you was addressing this to the church
Heh heh. Speaking of redneck jokes... I'll try to hold off on this one. ;)
Funny I heard this same claim about evolutionists
Athiests; not evolutionists. I think you've essentially missed one of the points of my paper. Evolution =/= atheism. Creationism =/= Christianity. The methodology of science is completely independent of the theology of Christianity, so people with or without faith should not make the dangerous mistake of believing otherwise.
Who says you can't detect God hand in his creation even by science/nature especially? This seems to me your assumption but not everyone's. A average christians can see "design" in nature without read any science articles.
Not at all. I see God's handiwork in His creation, myself. But I do not pretend that such a view is an objective one. Another person might look to nature and see the hand of Allah. God didn't sign His work on the seventh day, and if He did, it is not accessible to science. If you believe otherwise, I would love to see your scientific evidence.
I fail to see how John 20:29 back up your claim you can't detect God's hand in nature/creation. Plus Jesus spended 3 years performing miracles /evidence to back he is who he says he is.
I did not use that quote to support any such point. I used the quote to make the case that we do not need to substantiate our faith through observational science. Even after Jesus' miracle ministry, He went on to say that only a fool looks for a sign.
It seems to be twist scripture to support your point of view which clearly does not.
Do you not believe in a separation of church and state? My biblical support for this claim was assembled by the aid my pastor, a conservative Christian himself.
This is a joke. These scriptures says no such thing (public school teachers).
The referenced verses came after "parents" (thereby making reference to the parents); not the public school teachers.
In fact In Galatians 3:24 says" Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ..." a schoolmaster here was a salve who job was to raise and teach his master children.
My Bible (NIV) doesn't use the word "schoolmaster". It reads "So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith." "The law", in this case, seems to be referring to God's law, not government law, so I fail to see how your point is supported.
Parents should be incvolved what being taught in public schools and vote accordingly
Except truth is not a committee decision.
It's possible to accept most of science but reject one division of it
In fact, it is not. The thing about science is that its an integrated network. You cannot just remove one piece and not have the whole thing fall apart. If Darwinism (i.e., "biological evolution") were so easily removed, creationists wouldn't be rushing to the plate to find new explanations for plate tectonics, linguistics, or thermodynamics.
Since those in the church will look at how you handle the scriptures you credibility will be judged of how you used them. To me you lost your credibility by trying to make the scripture support or says something it doesn't ... the very thing you are trying to claim on others.
I'm sorry you feel that way. I guess it goes to show just how subjective our interpretation of the Scriptures really is. Since you quoted the references I gave in the last sentence of my essay, can you please tell me which point they support, if not my own?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.