1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out the two new forums in our Outreach category. The Debate Non-Christian Religions forum and the Christian Apologetics forum. Please be sure to read the Statement of Purposes for each these forums before posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Eskimo Food Security: Why is the U.S helping to promote Starvation amongst the Inuit?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by Gxg (G²), Apr 15, 2013.

1. applepowerpc

applepowerpc Guest

I think we should help the Inuit. Not because we have a moral obligation to, but because I find the preservation of their culture a valuable thing, worth preserving--analogous to preserving an endangered species. Let me explain:

The Inuit are where they are because they are resistant to change. Global warming is a change--and that change is far more pronounced at the poles. It impacts the entire planet, and that means everybody on the planet is going to have to change along with it--including the Inuit.

That being said, there is a richness to preserving other cultures, and I think we should do that. The oil companies are destroying their habitat up in Prudhoe (If not causing the global warming altogether), and I see no reason why the same supply chain that enables the pipeline canot enable the Inuit to preserve their way of life.
  2. Gxg (G²)

Gxg (G²) Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7) CF Ambassador

Never got to say many thanks for sharing as you did - and thankfully, there are ways for us to respect the environment while finding ways to survive...although seeing groups as they actually are makes a difference.

For a good video on the issue of how much imagery can make a difference:

Andaman Islanders and Polar Eskimos: Emergent Ethnographic Subjects c1900 at the British Academy - YouTube