Eskimo Food Security: Why is the U.S helping to promote Starvation amongst the Inuit?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Shalom

I was writing on this due to how it seems that there has been little to no coverage by U.S media outlets on an issue that our nation is helping to cause up North - specially as it concerns the food security to the Inuits (also called Eskimos, associated with Igloos) and the ways we're helping to kill them off. I had to do report on it for another organization I'm with - but I was wanting to see what others had to say on the matter here...as it's a big deal. Oprah Winfrey did a show on the issue some time back - and it was amazing to see how many were surprised at the struggles going on for families/parents in the Eskimo situation.

eskimos.jpg

Artic Food Networks are very diverse and delicate systems. Many are unaware of the fact that things such as shrinking of ice (due to global warming/gas house emissions - of which U.S electrical companies play a big part) and the industrialization of civilization near Inuit communities - known to often be isolated and sustainable due to the aspect of low contact with industrialization - have caused severe damages in their food supply. Additionally, some Inuit believe climate change could bring about a "cultural genocide" as their hunting way of life melts with the sea ice...and with even plant supplies being a concern since many rely on them.

02_AFN_FoodInsecurityDiagram_1000.jpg

As a result, many are starving - with the markets they go to for food having products be placed at such high rates that they are no affordable ...as it costs more to get food to the North and the prices are far higher than they are in the South.

Many have turned to protesting in order to get recognition of their struggle. In example, there have been many legal battles occuring over the use of water supplies and getting the U.S government to respect the right of Natives in their land. Also, years ago, Earthjustice attorneys and the Center for International Environmental Law (CIEL), working with the Inuit Circumpolar Conference submitted a petition to the Washington DC-based Inter-American Commission on Human Rights seeking relief from violations of the Inuit's human rights resulting from global warming caused by greenhouse gas emissions from the United States. The Commission, which was created in 1959 by the Organization of American States, has a long and distinguished history of protecting human rights, particularly those of indigenous peoples. For the United States makes up only five percent of the world's population, but emits one-quarter of global greenhouse pollution...and the petition called on the United States to respect its human rights obligations and take effective action to immediately reduce its contribution to the Inuit's injuries (more shared here)...with many noting the wisdom found in the ways of life (including diet) that the Inuit hold strongly to.

And in addition to protesting so that others are aware of their plight, many are utilizing the idea of community gardens/community farms to form a niche for others where food is accessible. As said best elsewhere (for brief excerpt):
IN THE LAST DECADE or SO, some North Americans have begun to alter dramatically their relationship to the food they eat and those that produce it. Spurred in part by Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma, a wildly popular defence of local and "do it yourself" forms of food production, or Alisa Smith and J.B. Mackinnon's The 100-Mile Diet, many so-called locavores have joined Community Supported Agriculture (CSA(1), developed community gardening projects, or packed local farmers' markets on Saturday mornings. The motivations that propel the embryonic local food movement are various, for some likely not much more complicated than their desire for extra-fresh rapini. For others, however, the heart of the local food movement lies with resistance to the idea that food is primarily a corporate commodity. Instead, the production and consumption of food represents an affirmation of the bond between farmer and eater, one of the profound building blocks upon which we build human communities and more sensitive relationships to the natural world.
For those who are Inuits, being able to stay connected to the land and having the ability to be included in the markets are of high importance. And it is a blessing to be able to achieve those goals via agriculture/community gardening. Even as it concerns health issues such as type 2 diabetes (a result of lack in food security), First Nations and Inuit communities are encouraged to develop innovative, culturally relevant approaches aimed at increasing community wellness so that certain things will be less of a burden. In specific, community activities funded through the ADI (the Aboriginal Diabetes Initiative ) vary from one community to another, and may include community gardens - as well as walking clubs, weight-loss groups, diabetes workshops, fitness classes, community kitchens and healthy school food policies.

Nonetheless, there is still a gross lack of help occurring for those Eskimo communities that have been harmed by the damage that we in the U.S have been doing to their environment. This has already occurred historically when it came to the U.S simply choosing to Relocat Northwest Alaska Eskimos, from 1907-1917....damaging their environment and forcing them to adapt to what those for expansion wanted..even though in Alaska, white settlement denied some natives their choice of seasonal camps, mining fouled some fish habitat, and newcomers competed with natives for fish and game (although the taking of game and fish and the gathering of roots and berries still provided many of the essentials for Alaskan Eskimo, Aleut, and Indian people).

Sadly, it seems the same is STILL occurring. If anyone has heard on this issue, what are you thoughts? How should the U.S best go about helping others out on the situation - and why is it not being discussed?

Last edited:

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I will listen to any constructive criticism you offer concerning this post.

Propose a competitive tariff for all U.S. professional services exports. The payoff should reach each Inuit population for some time.
If you wouldn't mind breaking this down for me as it concerns competitive tarrif, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OK, long post which started off saying something is happening concerning eskimos and food, you say that other people have talked about it, then ask our opinion before you give any indication of what the heck you are talking about.

How about we start off there. What did who do that impacts the innuit?

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
[serious];62857690 said:
OK, long post which started off saying something is happening concerning eskimos and food, you say that other people have talked about it, then ask our opinion before you give any indication of what the heck you are talking about.

How about we start off there. What did who do that impacts the innuit?
Actually, what was stated was rather plain: Global warming, overfishing and other issues occurring because of industrialization near the Inuit have caused them to have their way of life harmed significantly. The Artic Food supply - which is a BIG deal and very sensitive - has been getting a lot of damage lately - and with the prices of food being so high up North, many cannot afford to eat healthy...and have been protesting.

Again, the OP was very direct - and anyone can go through/address it if they're really serious.

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);62859175 said:
Actually, what was stated was rather plain: Global warming, overfishing and other issues occurring because of industrialization near the Inuit have caused them to have their way of life harmed significantly. The Artic Food supply - which is a BIG deal and very sensitive - has been getting a lot of damage lately - and with the prices of food being so high up North, many cannot afford to eat healthy...and have been protesting.

Again, the OP was very direct - and anyone can go through/address it if they're really serious.

Ah, OK. Global warming and overfishing were not mentioned in the first paragraph or the first couple links.

Absolutely we need to address overfishing, not just of whales, but also commercial wild fish more generally. I'd like to see international agreements limiting allowable catches.

Global warming is another issue which I 100% agree needs to be addressed. I'm in favor of cap and trade as a good market based solution.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
[serious];62860250 said:
Ah, OK. Global warming and overfishing were not mentioned in the first paragraph or the first couple links.

Yes, it was mentioned..

Moving on..

Absolutely we need to address overfishing, not just of whales, but also commercial wild fish more generally. I'd like to see international agreements limiting allowable catches.
That would be beneficial if they tackled that..
Global warming is another issue which I 100% agree needs to be addressed. I'm in favor of cap and trade as a good market based solution.
Good solutions

Upvote 0

wintermile

Bioconservative
May 9, 2011
✟9,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Gxg (G²);62856928 said:
If you wouldn't mind breaking this down for me as it concerns competitive tarrif, I'd greatly appreciate it.

My first idea will not work. Competitive tariffs apply to imports.

Often treaties blackball the Inuit. An authoritarian on Inuit issues may have established goals in meeting the national security needs of the Inuit.

I have another approach.

A determined portion of taxes from taxable income collected from U.S. Professional Services export corporations will serve the Inuit population.

The goal to double U.S. exports is still on Obama's table; Professional Services exports are stable.

Some Inuit families spend more on heat than food. Some are starving. If contributions from PRs are exceptional, numerous donations may provide immediate relief. How likely is this option for communities with populations in the thousands? A fact about other communities may answer that. Besides suffering from persecution, discrimination and other human rights violations, the Chin (100,000) (and other Burmans and ethnic Burmese) are starving in Burma and Mizoram State.

To prevent further starvation, the Inuit need food with trace minerals. Most food in the common marketplace is void of trace minerals. Whatever solution approved must meet quality standards. The Inuit deserve materials and food that produce and are rich in trace minerals.

Upvote 0

wintermile

Bioconservative
May 9, 2011
✟9,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Starvation is not the only problem. Drastic migration is another.

Future climate change threatens to further compromise Inuit right to culture by affecting the
migration timing, population health, quality of meat and furs, and availability of wildlife species
important in subsistence-based hunting (Moore and Huntington, 2008).

What will be done to prevent it.

Mitigation is central to efforts to tackle climate change and lower emission futures will give Inuit
and the ecosystems on which they depend more time to adapt. Indeed, “dangerous” climate
change may already be occurring in Canada’s Arctic regions, or will happen soon, thereby
compelling Parties to the FCCC to act immediately through mitigation to avoid “dangerous
anthropogenic interference with the climate system,” (Article 2) (Ford, 2009a). Mitigation is
particularly important for the Arctic because unabated or ‘runaway’ climate change could have
potentially irreversible negative impacts (IPCC, 2007b). However, we argue that adaptation
should become a central feature of climate change policy development for Canada’s Inuit region,
and a priority for Inuit political negotiations both domestically and internationally. Adaptation is
needed to uphold domestic Inuit rights and to prevent internationally recognised human rights
being compromised (Ford, 2009a).

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My first idea will not work. Competitive tariffs apply to imports.
Got ya..

Often treaties blackball the Inuit. An authoritarian on Inuit issues may have established goals in meeting the national security needs of the Inuit.
The treaties often form ways of keeping the Inuit locked into situations not for their benefit.

One excellent read - entitled From Talking Chiefs to a Native Corporate Elite: The Birth of Class and Nationalism among Canadian Inuit - discussed via the primary sources and secondary literature a compelling analysis of the Inuit co-op as a development tool used by the state...with astute evaluation of contemporary Inuit land claims shown, concluding that the Inuit have been unequally incorporated into the Canadian class system because of their ethnic status and lack of capital.

Others have promoted ideas to help the Inuit out in practical ways - as seen in OIFS: Organization for Inuit Food Security. Basically, the idea is to build hydroponic green houses in order to grow food that would otherwise be unavailable in the cold and infertile Inuit territories...with these greenhouses designed specifically to be suited to arctic climates by using a dome shape design and incorporating a woven poly as the building material, and ensuring produce will be grown through the use of uniquely designed hydroponic systems. And through the use of hydrophonic systems as co-operatives, the members could buy shares from the co-op to obtain fresh produce at a cheap price, even turning competitors into partners by offering local grocery stores the chance to buy shares.
​
As a result, the members of the community would be able to purchase the fresh produce directly from the greenhouse, rather than from a grocery store or market place where it's already EXTREMELY expensive for most - and . the Inuit people would be able to save their children from the epidemic of childhood obesity, while saving money and not spending on over priced organic food.

They - the Inuit - are truly beautiful people. And I wish that their culture wasn't be dismissed by so many as it has. For good review from another who lived among them:

I have another approach.

A determined portion of taxes from taxable income collected from U.S. Professional Services export corporations will serve the Inuit population.

The goal to double U.S. exports is still on Obama's table; Professional Services exports are stable.
The logistics of that would have to be wrestled through some, IMHO. If you have any resources or information on the issue that you feel helps to support what you said here, I'd love to investigate for my own personal review - and for the sake of being on the same page as you are.

Some Inuit families spend more on heat than food. Some are starving. If contributions from PRs are exceptional, numerous donations may provide immediate relief. How likely is this option for communities with populations in the thousands? A fact about other communities may answer that. Besides suffering from persecution, discrimination and other human rights violations, the Chin (100,000) (and other Burmans and ethnic Burmese) are starving in Burma and Mizoram State.
Donations may be an immediate solution - but definately not the long term one. There has to be a holistic solution that addresses the root diseases rather than treating the symptoms....

To prevent further starvation, the Inuit need food with trace minerals. Most food in the common marketplace is void of trace minerals. Whatever solution approved must meet quality standards. The Inuit deserve materials and food that produce and are rich in trace minerals
Good points...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

wintermile

Bioconservative
May 9, 2011
✟9,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is the pdf I linked to that counts. If you have read similar material than you can inform individuals on what steps are being taken and how those solutions are stalled.

Also, from the pdf, the main solution is not emissions reduction-- it is too late for that. And, Inuit youth are not skilled hunters. Their traditions are not passed on and they are suffering from negative activity. Even if they were skilled hunters, the impact of climate change in their regions has made hunting experimental. Catches in nets can only last so long.

The pdf concerns Canadian Inuit and international awareness.

What source of revenue are you proposing?

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It is the pdf I linked to that counts.

If you have read similar material than you can inform individuals on what steps are being taken and how those solutions are stalled.
More was said BEYOND the pdf earlier - and thus, the pdf alone is not the sole source of info on the matter for solutions. Nonetheless, even with other solutions offered, those alone are not the sum total of what is being addressed and other things have been noted as well..

Also, from the pdf, the main solution is not emissions reduction-- it is too late for that.
That is what other sources have noted to be problematic - as there are others noting it is far from too late on that issue if understanding the dynamic of systems change.
And, Inuit youth are not skilled hunters. Their traditions are not passed on and they are suffering from negative activity. Even if they were skilled hunters, the impact of climate change in their regions has made hunting experimental. Catches in nets can only last so long.
That is not the case for all Inuit youth and the same goes for those who do well in hunting.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Inuit and other native tribes of the far north were doomed as soon as they partook of the first modern product that tasted good or made their lives a little easier.

While they may indeed be feeling the effects of 'global warming' the people that run the world haven't decided if it is really a problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wintermile

Bioconservative
May 9, 2011
✟9,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Negative effects on the health and availability of freshwater and
saltwater fish species have also been recorded in the Canadian Arctic (Vilhjálmsson &
HoelReist, 2006, 2005) and warmer temperatures are affecting the preparation of dry fish, the
length of time that fish can spend netted in the water before spoiling, and optimal growing days
(Andrachuk, 2008, Furgal and Prowse, 2008). The importance of these animals to Inuit goes
beyond diet; the act of hunting, consuming, and sharing traditional foods is an important cultural
activity, helping to produce and re-produce community social relations and defining what it
means to be Inuit (Bravo, 2008, Damman et al., 2008, Gombay, 2007, Henshaw, 2007, Wenzel,
1991, 2005). Upholding the ability of Inuit to hunt culturally important animals – and healthy
source of food – is therefore central to maintaining Inuit human rights.

These conditions are not normal for hunting and fishing in the arctic.

It is said whoever has the best story has the culture. I am posting again to explain where I have found faith from those who work endlessly combating Inuit issues. Maybe the legends pulled them in. Far North Tales Stories from the Peoples of the Arctic Circle translator Bonnie C. Marshall has had one of the best work assignments. Tales or legends such as The Woman Who Adopted A Polar Bear, The Owl And The Siksik, The Eagle And Whale Husbands and The Fox Wife describe challenges and aspirations in vividly revealing storytelling skills. Bonnie C. Marshall has faith in preserving arctic stories; those in the arctic have heard these stories firsthand---that faith carries over to others working with Inuit leaders. These stories refer to their values and culture.

Since the 1950s, Inuit in Canada have been forced to go to residential schools in the 1950s until the age of 16, so there’s an entire generation of Inuit who didn’t learn to hunt with their parents.

Some work has also shown that the younger generation is not as interested in hunting and maintaining a traditional way of life. So they’re more reliant on store-bought foods.

Besides addressing the negative changes Inuit people face, Marie-Pierre Lardeau discusses the activity around a drop-in centre --and then mentions it might be closed down. Two hunters provide meat for this community as well as organizing trips for others.

I consider Marie-Pierre Lardeau and those working with her top-notch. Recording, preventing and addressing food security issues in the Inuit communities offers Inuit leaders insight into best re-assimulating communities toward their traditions so that their is a modern day balance of both lifestyles.

For me there's a victory to learn about with the Nunatsiavut Government and the Land Claims Agreements Coalition.

Whatever harsh and limited condition their hunting and fishing territories yield, Inuit leaders will initiate options to hunt and fish. Because of these leaders I have faith in their ability to rebuild their communities throughout the Inuit population. Young Inuit males in 53 Canadian communities can HEAL and address this injustice: "sled-dog slaughters impaired Inuit hunters' abilities to provide for their families and obliged them to remain in settlements".

The sea change that benefits the Inuit in Canada will benefit other populations. An Inuit will not say I cannot find another river when insisting all preserve and respect waterways such as the polluted Athabasca river in the same tone as an oil businessman claiming "there are no easy barrels left". The faith that brings about the needed sea change is provided by numerous organizations such as these Inuit tapiriit Kanatami, Pauktuutit Inuit Women of Canada, National Inuit Youth Council and the Ajunnginiq Centre. All of whom I am taking the time to become familiar with as I am fond of the full-of-life commitments richly communicated by earnest leaders who express the variance of their footprints.

Everyday I have a better understanding of who the Inuit are as a community. I want to be aware of how investing in their communities further benefits other communities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Aren't efforts better spent managing the decline of the culture of these peoples rather than trying to restore a lifestyle that is forever lost? As a comparison, we will never restore our manufacturing base in America. We must find other ways to support our economy. The earth has little regard for what either group has lost.

Upvote 0

wintermile

Bioconservative
May 9, 2011
✟9,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From generation to generation traditions will be passed due to numerous Inuit organizations. Not only that, those operating Inuit owned lands direct mineral exploration and development.

Canadian organizations have responded to food insecurity issues. These organizations are aware of the World Food Summit. Still, 4 out of 5 report going without food.

Assistance for the Inuit society may take many forms. Solving the food insecurity issue may not be a hard challenge for some. If hunters can estimate how much country food will be available each week, month and season and if other arctic farms are managed in each community, the Inuit will adapt. Some will also be in a position to export their professional skills internationally.

If there are arctic greenhouses then arctic chicken farms can be managed if they are heated and run by those who consider each farms' value. The white portion of chicken eggs contain amino acids, making fresh eggs a priority.

View an award winning documentary and observe Inuit traditions.

Journeyman Pictures : documentaries : People of a Feather (HD)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
T

Thekla

Thought this might be of interest:

an excerpt of a letter written in 1899 by Bishop Nikolai Ziorov to Pres. McKinley

Alaska stands in need of radical reform in all directions. A limit must be set to the abuses of various companies, more especially of the Alaska Commercial Company, which for over thirty years, has had the uncontrolled management of affairs and has reduced the country’s hunting and fishing resources to absolute exhaustion, and the population to beggary and semi-starvation. OrthodoxHistory.org » A Letter to President McKinley

Some things "never change" ...

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thought this might be of interest:

an excerpt of a letter written in 1899 by Bishop Nikolai Ziorov to Pres. McKinley

Alaska stands in need of radical reform in all directions. A limit must be set to the abuses of various companies, more especially of the Alaska Commercial Company, which for over thirty years, has had the uncontrolled management of affairs and has reduced the country’s hunting and fishing resources to absolute exhaustion, and the population to beggary and semi-starvation. OrthodoxHistory.org » A Letter to President McKinley

Some things "never change" ...
Just now saw this and many thanks for bringing it to my attention - as it is true, some things "never change"....but sometimes, change only happens after the things we enjoy get changed because of the changes we tolerated to begin with

Upvote 0