Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us. Ephesians 3.20

This scripture used to trouble me a lot. I prayed over the verse for several weeks, not really understanding why the indescribable power was not working in my private life. Then one day my church had an instructor in from SAGU to take us through the Book of Ephesians in four sessions. When he got to 3:20 he explained that this is not a promise to individuals because, he said, all the pronouns in the verse are plural, collective pronouns. God does His work through His collective church, not just through individuals. If we want to see the power of God work in us beyond what we can ever ask or think we need to learn to work in community and not as individuals because God’s power is manifested only within community, the body of Christ.

That made sense to me.

So, my answer to the OP is no. If God’s gifts were given as a reward “when we get our act together”, they would no longer be gifts and it would no longer be grace.

~Adam Baum

The world is composed of givers and takers. The takers may eat better, but the givers sleep better.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does God only really do something when WE get our act together ?

If the "Power" ain't functioning (however that happens) Can we really expect him to show up ???????

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." (Eph 3:20-21, NIV)

It's talking about God's power, it's not talking about us "getting our act together."

Reactions: pinetree
Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ephesians 3:10-20
10 God’s purpose in all this was to use the church to display his wisdom in its rich variety to all the unseen rulers and authorities in the heavenly places. 11 This was his eternal plan, which he carried out through Christ Jesus our Lord.
12 Because of Christ and our faith in him, we can now come boldly and confidently into God’s presence. 13 So please don’t lose heart because of my trials here. I am suffering for you, so you should feel honored.
Paul’s Prayer for Spiritual Growth

14 When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, 15 the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. 16 I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. 17 Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. 18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. 19 May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. 20 Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. 21 Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen.

This is to the Church of Jesus Christ. So far, so good. The true Church is alive and going forth in health and vibrance.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

If the "Power" ain't functioning (however that happens) Can we really expect him to show up ???????

Just wondered:confused:

Our Lord Jesus Christ is there all the time, His Counsellor, the Holy Spirit.

HE doesn't show up, because we don't notice HIM there. We are always looking for great signs and wonders.

I visited a church yesterday, for the first time. And I always look forward to a church that has Holy Communion every Sunday, great praise and worship, and great teaching.

At this church there was no Holy Communion, only sang four songs, teaching was good. And 3/4 of the service was confined to asking for support to teach RE at schools, and community functions. And from those people involved there were so great testimonies.

So, the power we see is in the power of reaching out to the community the best way we can. This church many not have Holy Communion, not great praise and worship, but they work as a church doing what HE commanded us to do.

Does that make any sense mate?:)

Upvote 0

zaksmummy

Jul 6, 2007
Chesterfield
✟10,866.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
This verse strikes me more of a blessing than a statement - Paul is blessing God for his goodness than although what we do may be good, how much more can God do because of his work in us through Jesus, for ever and ever. This is very much in line with Jewish liturgical prayers.

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."

Upvote 0

IKTCA

Senior Veteran
Oct 18, 2003
✟18,959.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
This scripture used to trouble me a lot.
I prayed over the verse for several weeks, ........Then one day ..................
That made sense to me.

Thank you for your post. It taught me a good lesson.
I hope the scripture continues to trouble you, because if your heart is troubled, you will continue to pray for you and your church. Both you and your church will gain from your troubled heart and your unceasing prayer.

Rupert

Upvote 0
E

enoch son

Just wondered:confused:
How little we understand or believe. No where in that ver. does God need you to make a statement on what you think. HE SAY'S HE SHOWING UP NO MATTER WHAT! HOW DUMB CAN MAN BE THINKING HE HAS SOME PART IN WHAT GOD DOES OR DOESN'T DO!
And oh by the way the power is christ and not you!

Upvote 0

mrhappy3

May 9, 2006
LONDON
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
How little we understand or believe. No where in that ver. does God need you to make a statement on what you think. HE SAY'S HE SHOWING UP NO MATTER WHAT! HOW DUMB CAN MAN BE THINKING HE HAS SOME PART IN WHAT GOD DOES OR DOESN'T DO!
And oh by the way the power is christ and not you!

I must be dumb then.:doh:

I'll let you know when I've arrived.

Your all heart bruv.;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
okay I think I seriously missed out on a lot of good threads. :pray: First of all we have the assurance of God's Presence Exodus 33:14; Joshua 1:5, 9 that He will never ever forsake us nor ever leave us Hebrews 13:5 second, where two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in the midst of us Matthew 18:20. And is this what you are looking for this Scripture here? 1 Corinthians 14:26 whenver you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.