Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Predestinated salvation ( Particular Election )
is the plain teaching of Scripture.

"Many are called, but few are chosen."
( Matthew 22:14 KJV )

"As many as had been appointed to
eternal life believed." ( Acts 13:14
NASB )

"He chose us in Him before the
foundation of the world." ( Ephesians
1:4 NASB )

"I will be gracious to whom I will be
gracious, and will show compassion
on whom I will show compassion."
( Exodus 33:19 NASB, cf Romans
9:5 )

"...according to God's gracious choice."
( Romans 11:5 NASB )

"To you it has been granted to know
the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven,
but to them it has not been granted."
( Matthew 13:11 NASB )

"Those who were chosen obtained it,
and the rest were hardened." ( Romans
11:7 NASB )

"You did not choose Me, but I chose
you, and appointed you" ( John 15:16
NASB )

"I do not speak of all of you. I know the
ones I have chosen" ( John 13:18 NASB )

Particular Election is one of the best documented
doctrines in Scripture. Even the Lord's making
the Hebrews His "chosen people" was Particular
Election.

How do you know you are His Elected? It's pretty much a guessing game.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Predestinated salvation ( Particular Election )
is the plain teaching of Scripture.
OK, let's see if that is true.

"Many are called, but few are chosen."
( Matthew 22:14 KJV )
The context isn't about salvation but an invitation to service. The guy who didn't put on his wedding garments was an disobedient believer who was not allowed to enjoy the reward of the wedding supper of the Lamb.

"As many as had been appointed to
eternal life believed." ( Acts 13:14 NASB )
The Greek word "tasso" is NEVER used as appoint or ordain in ANY of the other 7 uses in Scripture, and Luke used it 6 times. The word means to line up, to arrange. And the voice cannot be determined by its form because in the tense used by Luke, either middle or passive voice could be meant. The voice HAS TO BE determined by context, and v.42 clearly indicates that the Gentiles lined up to hear Paul. So they lined themselves up (middle voice) to hear about eternal life, contrasted to the Jews who Paul described as "not worthy of eternal life".

"He chose us in Him before the
foundation of the world." ( Ephesians 1:4 NASB )
Paul defined the "us" in 1:19 as "those who believe". So this verse teaches that God chooses believers, and it tells us for what purpose He has chosen believers: to be holy and blameless. This is supported by Eph 5:27a - that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless note this is in the subjunctive mood

"I will be gracious to whom I will be
gracious, and will show compassion
on whom I will show compassion."
( Exodus 33:19 NASB, cf Romans 9:5 )
We actually know WHO God will be gracious to and have mercy for: Isa 55:7 - Let the wicked forsake his way And the unrighteous man his thoughts; And let him return to the LORD, And He will have compassion on him, And to our God, For He will abundantly pardon.

iow, God's grace and mercy is FOR those who have returned to the Lord.

"...according to God's gracious choice."
( Romans 11:5 NASB )
This verse doesn't support your claim in any way. It's simply a statement about the fact that God's choice is by grace, just as salvation is by grace.

"To you it has been granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been granted." ( Matthew 13:11 NASB )
This verse was addressed to His disciples. What does that have to do with the Calvinistic doctrine of being chosen for salvation? Even Judas was chosen by Jesus, per Jn 6:70 and he was demon possessed.

"Those who were chosen obtained it, and the rest were hardened." ( Romans 11:7 NASB )
This verse is directly related to what Paul already wrote, in Rom 9:30,31 - 30 What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, attained righteousness, even the righteousness which is by faith; 31 but Israel, pursuing a law of righteousness, did not arrive at that law.

iow, the Jews pursued a righteousness by law, while Gentiles, who as a group weren't pursuing any form of righteousness actually attained it, which is BY FAITH.

So, once again, your verse doesn't support your claim.

"You did not choose Me, but I chose you, and appointed you" ( John 15:16 NASB )
You forgot to add the PURPOSE for this election. Or, what they were appointed FOR: "that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you."

This is the REST of v.16, which you conveniently left out. Why? Because the verse does NOT support your view of election. It is not about salvation at all, but rather, it's about being chosen for service.

"I do not speak of all of you. I know the ones I have chosen" ( John 13:18 NASB )
How does this verse support any of your claims? It is only a statement of the fact that Jesus was stating the obvious; He knows the ones He chose.

Particular Election is one of the best documented doctrines in Scripture. Even the Lord's making the Hebrews His "chosen people" was Particular Election.
lol Every choice God makes is particular. That doesn't either prove or support the Calvinistic doctrine of unconditional election to salvation.

I've already shown the 6 categories described by the Bible as being "elect".

1. Election of Christ: an individual election

1 Pet 2:6 Isa 28:16 Isa 42:1 Luke 9:35 Luke 23:35

2. Election of Angels: a group or corporate election

1 Tim 5:21

3. Election of Israel: a group or corporate election

Amos 3:2 Deut 7:6 Acts 13:17

4. Election of believers: a group or corporate election

Eph 1:4a [note: this verse doesn’t say that God chose who would be believers, but that He chose believers…to be holy and blameless]

1 Peter 2:9

5. The Election of the 12 Disciples: a group or corporate election John 15:16

6. The Election of Paul: an individual election Acts 9:15

What is clear from all these verses that none of these categories were chosen for salvation.

otoh, all of these categories were chosen for service, which would even include ol' Judas the betrayer.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
But you aren't sure if you are God's Elected. Many cults have believed in Christ for salvation.
The Bible is very clear. To be saved, one must believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God (Jn 20:31) and believe in Him for salvation (Acts 16:31).

There may be people who are saved and in cults. Are believers exempt from deception? No, for John wrote about some who are self deceived and do not have the truth in them (1 Jn 1:8).

I AM SURE that I am God's elect, because I HAVE believed in Jesus Christ for eternal life.

What gives you any assurance that you are saved and will spend eternity with God rather than in the lake of fire?

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Bible is very clear. To be saved, one must believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God (Jn 20:31) and believe in Him for salvation (Acts 16:31).

There may be people who are saved and in cults. Are believers exempt from deception? No, for John wrote about some who are self deceived and do not have the truth in them (1 Jn 1:8).

I AM SURE that I am God's elect, because I HAVE believed in Jesus Christ for eternal life.

What gives you any assurance that you are saved and will spend eternity with God rather than in the lake of fire?

I obey His word and do what He says, and not only make a head assent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I will exegete Eph 1:4 from the NASB with parentheses for clarity:

just as He (God) chose (elected) us (believers per 1:19) in Him (speaks to postitional truth of being placed in union with Christ per 1:13) before the foundation of the world (when God's election occurred), that we would be (the purpose of God's election of believers) holy and blameless (how believers are supposed to live, what believers were elected to do as service for Him) before Him.

If my clarifying parentheses are inaccurate, I invite correction that is based on Scripture. Opinions don't matter here. If my exegesis can be refuted from Scripture, please do so.

Like everyone else, I do not want to be wrong.

Thanks.

That is indeed the plain meaning of that verse. We are elected (predesitined) to be conformed to the image of His Son (Rom 8:29).

Reactions: FreeGrace2
Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
By the signs of Election, of course ! ( Doesn't matter if the unregenerate don't see these signs. )

Since you didn't mention any 'signs', I suppose you mean like these folks.

Matthew 7

22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’
23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I obey His word and do what He says, and not only make a head assent.
What do you mean by "head assent"? But from my question, it appears you believe you have to work for your salvation, or at least your assurance? Correct?

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
By the signs of Election, of course ! ( Doesn't matter if the unregenerate don't see these signs. )
Oh, so there are signs? Could you list these signs? And where you got them from?

Oh, and could you respond to my list of the 6 categories of what the Bible describes as being "elect"?

By respond, I mean to show me how my list of the "elect" isn't really about the "elect", since none of those on that biblical list were chosen for salvation.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
EmSw said:
How do you know you are His Elected? It's pretty much a guessing game.
If you AREN'T one of the Elect, it won't matter to you.
Looks like there is some hesitation to answer his question. Why is that? Maybe you don't really know?

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Since you didn't mention any 'signs', I suppose you mean like these folks.

Matthew 7

22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’
23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

One of the frequent charges against the
Calvinists here is that we think we're
superior because we are God's chosen
ones (the Elect).

In actuality, it works opposite: We know
the Lord's calling ISN'T based on any
inherent merit -present or foreseen- in us
...including a "decision" we made on our
own.

The Most High chooses His Elect DESPITE
who they are rather than because of who they
are.

"God, who has saved us, and called
us not according to our works, but
according to His own purpose"
(2 Timothy 1:8-9 NASB)

and, from the OT:

"You who have no money come, buy
and eat" (Isaiah 55:1 NASB)

It's ALL Him, and nothing initiated by us:

"I revealed Myself to those who did
not ask for Me; I was found by those
who did not seek for Me" (Isaiah
65:1 NIV)

"Not that we loved God, but that He
loved us" (1 John 4:10 NASB, NIV,
NLT, NKJ, AB, RSV, AAT, ASV)

~Not~ because we chose it, or deserve it:

"God has chosen the foolish things
of the world to shame the wise, and
God has chosen the weak things of
the world to shame the things which
are strong" (1 Corinthians 1:27 NASB)

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
One of the frequent charges against the
Calvinists here is that we think we're
superior because we are God's chosen
ones (the Elect).

In actuality, it works opposite: We know
the Lord's calling ISN'T based on any
inherent merit -present or foreseen- in us
...including a "decision" we made on our
own.
This is the error of Calvinism; thinking that election doesn't depend upon a decision made. For Eph 1:4 says "just as He chose US in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love"

And Paul clearly defines who he means by "us" in v.4. 1:19a - "and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward US who believe."

If you can demonstrate that the "us" of 1:19 is a different "us" found in v.4, then please do. But if you can't, then know that Calvinism misunderstands biblical election. God has chosen believers, that believers whould be holy and blameless before HIM.

The Most High chooses His Elect DESPITE
who they are rather than because of who they
are.
Yep. He chooses even the worst believer to serve Him.

"God, who has saved us, and called
us not according to our works, but
according to His own purpose"
(2 Timothy 1:8-9 NASB)
Yep, He didn't choose us on the basis of any merit, for sure.

and, from the OT:

"You who have no money come, buy
and eat" (Isaiah 55:1 NASB)
I wonder how this verse supports the Calvinist view of election? But v.7 clears up any confusion: "Let the wicked forsake his way And the unrighteous man his thoughts; And let him return to the LORD, And He will have compassion on him, And to our God, For He will abundantly pardon.

btw, to "return to the LORD" IS a decision. God has compassion on and will pardon those who make the decision to return to Him."

It's ALL Him, and nothing initiated by us:

"I revealed Myself to those who did
not ask for Me; I was found by those
who did not seek for Me" (Isaiah
65:1 NIV)

"Not that we loved God, but that He
loved us" (1 John 4:10 NASB, NIV,
NLT, NKJ, AB, RSV, AAT, ASV)
Amen!! And neither verse is a support for the Calvinist doctrine of election.

~Not~ because we chose it, or deserve it:
Amen! It's all about grace. Eph 2:8

"God has chosen the foolish things
of the world to shame the wise, and
God has chosen the weak things of
the world to shame the things which
are strong" (1 Corinthians 1:27 NASB)
How does this verse support the Calvinistic doctrine of election?

Upvote 0