Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yep, remove the membrane. It's a pain in the butt though(at least I think so).

I prefer to marinate in the fridge for 24 hours(min.) and then straight to the bbq and cook on low temp. No boiling here. Sometimes I wrap'em in tin foil and bbq for the first little while - then remove and finish. Never won a contest(or even entered one) however.

Pork ribs are awesome. Too bad for the little piggies.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I just wanted to say praise God! for using a rub instead of drwoning them in icky sauce.....

I'd par boil shorter and grill longer...so like 30 min. par boil grill for an hour, hour and a half

Are you sure you don't live in Texas? :) I don't get the obsession with dry rub over sauce. It's not bbq until you sauce it :)

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
CC - :D - now you should test all of these and come out with what works...

And meantime i suppose you could just pick out the best and serve em up.
:) Best wishes and let us know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
LOL--what are you from St. Louis or something??? ;)
lol and proud of it :)

I've had to learn how to "properly" eat bbq in Texas. It's considered insulting here to put on bbq sauce before trying the meat without sauce. Though the sauce is very different here as well. But, I love bbq so I'm loving Texas bbq as well. It's just different. MMMMMMM brisket.

But, no one will ever beat my Daddy's bbq ribs and porksteak.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟66,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ok, here's what I'm doin'

Simmering softly in wine, sage, basil and oregano 1 hr (only)

Rub with this rub recipe i found.

let sit over night

Grill softly for 1 hr (maybe 1.25)

Hope I don't embassass myself

All this is happening tomorrow. (Ok, so I let it slide a little)

Upvote 0

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ok, here's what I'm doin'

Simmering softly in wine, sage, basil and oregano 1 hr (only)

Rub with this rub recipe i found.

let sit over night

Grill softly for 1 hr (maybe 1.25)

Hope I don't embassass myself

All this is happening tomorrow. (Ok, so I let it slide a little)

Sounds yummy! Definitely post with the outcome. Best of Luck!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
dang o man this thread is making me hungy... here in GA we're all about pork BBQ. Had this awesome pork butt on the 4th :yum:...
One of the local firestations has a charity porkbutt sale every year. I can't wait for it to roll around every year. :yum:

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
LOl--one of the local volunteer firestations here does a smoked chicken sale...complete with a slice of white bread and a pickle wrapped in wax paper....it's like the only time of year I eat white bread. :D
White bread is the only bread that you should slice thick, slather with butter and grill on a griddle or in the oven. At all other times, I eat wheat, but Texas Toast deserves the gut buster option.

Upvote 0

NewMan99

New CF: More Political, Less Charity, No Unity
Mar 20, 2005
Earth
✟18,235.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Finally a topic I feel like talking about.

Charlie...what kind of ribs are you talking about? Baby backs? St. Louis?

If we are talking full racks for your contest, I assume they are talking about St. Louis style.

If so...BE SURE to get that silver skin removed by the butcher on the underside of the rack. I don't know what part of the Twin Cities you live in, but don't skimp on getting a quality cut. If you live near Robbinsdale, go to Hackenmuellers. If you are on the South-side of town in the suburbs, then go to Van Hansens (there are several of them). Otherwise...gulp and go to Byerlys or Lunds and pay the big $$$. Last week I bought some good ones at Cub (not too expensive)...in any case...make sure they take that skin off.

Now...if I have the time...on Day 1...I will wash the ribs and pat them dry. Then I season them with salt and pepper. Then I take a LOT of dried onion flakes and coat the heck out of them. Then I put them in a zip lock bag and...here comes the good part...pour some GOOD beer (not the lousy mass produced garbage most people like to drink)...like Summit Extra Pale Ale (yum...I am drinking one right now)...into the bag to marinade the ribs. Seal and set in the fridge overnight.

Day 2...in the morning...open the zip-lock bag...pour out the beer...wipe the onion sludge off the rack. Pat dry. Rub in your dry rub. Leave it out to raise it to room temperature. After a couple of hours (you might want to cover it with plastic wrap to keep it pristine) you should be ready to fire up the grill.

Hardwood is best...charcoal is second choice. Gas is an abomination. Start soaking some hickory chunks (not chips) - you can get them at Menards. They should be soaked at least an hour before they go on the grill.

Anyway...you want to cook this on indirect heat. Depending on how large your grill is...it is best to heap two small piles of charcol (if that is the way you are going) on opposite sides of the grill...leaving the middle open. You don't want it too hot. Low and slow is the gospel message in good BBQ. If you have a temp gauge for the grill you want to keep the temp somewhere between 275-300. Put the ribs - bone side down - on the middle portion (wouldn't hurt to have a drip pan below - made of aluminum foil or one of those cheap loaf pans) of the grill. You do not want to cook the ribs directly over the coals.

Anyway...you need to cook them for a good 3-4 hours this way. Add fresh charcol and an occasional hickory chunk every hour just to keep the temp steady. After 3-4 hours wrap them in aluminum foil and put them back on the grill for another 2 hours (a little lower temp: 350-275). By now they should be almost falling off the bone, but still gently clinging. Remove from grill.

Now you need to build up another fire - but this time make it hot. Once the coals are good and red hot and ashed over...take the ribs out of the foil and place directly over the coals to give them a good char taste. Cook only for a few minutes, until meat is bubbling and has a little char. Slide the meat over to the middle again (over the drip pan) and start slathering your sauce on them. Both sides. You might even put it directly over the coals for a SHORT amount of time just to carmelize the sauce (careful - most sauce has sugar in it and that burns easily). Once the sauce looks a bit carmelized (but not burned) and the meat is still bubbly...remove from grill and let it rest for about 10 minutes.

Eat.

That's how I sometimes make ribs. Never tried the par-boiling thing (except for country style ribs). But there are thousands of ways to cook these things - and some ways are better than others.

Good luck with the contest. See you at Rib-fest!!!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.