Love & Peace
May 2, 2006
Knoxville, TN
✟12,273.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Hello there! I am curious about how the Church regards a few things.

A bit of background from the past year of my life: Enrolled in a clinical therapeutic massage program at an accredited college. My life has transformed, pretty much. It is an excellent form of stress relief and healing; I am truly in love with massage therapy! :)

This education has sprung forth interest in a variety of things. Yoga is one example, which is making me feel much better and allowing me to have a healthy, flexible, active body for once in my life. I've already read some articles on yoga within Orthodoxy, as well as a listened to an informative podcast regarding yoga and the Orthodox Church.

Thus, my main questions revolve around bodywork and energy healing.

First, bodywork and massage therapy - I found little on the internet regarding how this healthcare profession is viewed in the Church, and wanted to ask you all here! :)

Second, energy work and energy healing. I was a total skeptic at first, but it's a small part of our largely scientific and anatomy-based curriculum. I am a certified Reiki level two practitioner, and affirm its usefulness. I have experience greater peace and even healed a slightly injured elbow. (I note that "I" didn't heal it, rather it was healed by allowed energy flow). How is this viewed within the Church, if involving no spirits or anything of the sort, simply energy, which is natural and all around us? It is even being utilized in hospitals nowadays, with documented scientific effectiveness.

I am coming to realize the truth in our body's own (largely untapped) powers to heal itself. God has truly designed us wonderfully!

Another question brought up from these two subjects - why does the Church neglect physical care? I understand the focus on God, prayer, the soul, and such. But with physical care - stretches, massage therapy and body work, proper nutrition, hydration, oxygenization - an incredible amoun of energy and mental clarity is rendered. People have overcome cancer and chronic illnesses from juicing fresh, organic whole foods, for example. Only doing this for two or three days led me to believe the validity of these testimonies, and I want to try a juice cleanse with my chronically ill mother.

Any educated input regarding bodywork, energy healing, and the Church's lack of attention to diet and physical care, will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, y'all! :)

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Just a personal view - I have some experience with an Orthodox chiropracter who uses some techniques that I think you could call body "energy/flow" treatments. I think there is something to be said for such un-orthodox ;) treatments.

And at least at my parish, I think a lot of people recognize that there are many types of helpful physical care besides conventional methods.

The problem would be if you get into spiritual practices to go along with these things. Yoga, for instance. I know some folks in my parish who have used yoga exercises for back problems, but I think you have to be very careful with that.

Nice to see you again. :)

Mary

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Don't really know or have heard of the energy healing stuff, and I don't really agree with reiki, to be honest, but I can vouch for these four types of healing and exercise practices that truly have worked wonders on me: Yoga, Acupuncture, Massage, and Chiropractic.

I think alternative medicine is in some instances better for one's health, especially if it's having to do with body aches, pains from stress.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh, on the physical care. The Church does not neglect it. We use our body to pray and participate in worship, charity work, our jobs, etc. The body is revered as what it is - the Temple of the Holy Spirit - and for sure, we are to take care of it. After all, God gave us it and it's been blessed and sealed, received the Body and Blood of Christ, etc.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just a personal view - I have some experience with an Orthodox chiropracter who uses some techniques that I think you could call body "energy/flow" treatments. I think there is something to be said for such un-orthodox ;) treatments.

And at least at my parish, I think a lot of people recognize that there are many types of helpful physical care besides conventional methods.

The problem would be if you get into spiritual practices to go along with these things. Yoga, for instance. I know some folks in my parish who have used yoga exercises for back problems, but I think you have to be very careful with that.

Nice to see you again. :)

Mary
True about yoga. I have a few yoga DVD's that I sometimes do by Denise Austin. She just does it like we're stretching. She does sit there and meditate - meaning sitting and saying nothing with her eyes closed - at the end of one of them. But her one yoga video that is move of a motion yoga, she doesn't.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
we don't neglect physical care. I was told once that you sneeze, you should say a prayer and grab a kleenex. God blessed us with both His miracles and His creation, so we can use both.

as far as yoga and that kinda stuff, I think it's okay and probably very good until you get into all the Hindu chanting and that stuff.

great to see you again Justin

Upvote 0
Dec 22, 2010
✟1,424.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
@AureateDawn

Update: I didnt pay attention that you isnt Orthodox therefore read my post like my words to brother in Christ with similar questions:

from my life:
bodywork, massage, fitness - is ok, alright and etc on body level.
Problems r starting with meeting work on spirit level.

@Yoga - familiar buddy which practice it said - some of yog's after getting high level become black mages therefore he doesnt try to continue rising in yoga.

@Reiki - there r materials in Russian about it. In short - sect is incompatible with Orthodoxy in principle. We(Russians) say in similar cases: or get off Cross, or dress underpants.

...natural and all around us? - know real story about one man which has opened spirit eye. After time he asked heavens to close it - because it was so hard to see how many demons, evil r around us. ;) Can YOU exactly define is energy from God or from evil? If yes - so where did you study this ability/skill? which monastery, under control of which elder or eldress?

I was kinda healed by one "talanted". When he is telling how i've got ill's, by which way without any testing, just looking on me - it was cooler than stunts of David Copperfield. But after years i confessed in it.

PS @...neglect physical care - wrong. Orthodoxy doesnt neglect physical care. Moreover we have Saints which were famous doctors as minimum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Most of these therapies as practised in the west, dont really have any spiritual aspects attached to them. You can substitute the word calisthenics for yoga or even the word aerobics and most wouldnt be able to tell a difference.

Its sort of like being a sumo wrestler. Even though this sport is associated with shintoism, no one will think your crossing the line if you throw salt over your shoulder before a proffessional match. The same way olympic athletes arent considered partaking in pagan ritual even though the entire lighting the torch ceremony is reenactmennts of pagan religion.

Upvote 0

AureateDawn

Love & Peace
May 2, 2006
Knoxville, TN
✟12,273.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Okay, well good to know that these things can still be viable for me if I were Orthodox. That's nice that I could still do massage and make use of the bioenergy field.

And while the Church does teach of the body as a temple, and used in jobs, charity work, etc. - I wonder why physical self care, self health, is not a big topic in churches? If the body is allegedly to important in Church teaching, as is the Resurrection, why is there not much emphasis on healthy diets, stretching, exercising, etc? I feel as if the body is neglected in favor of the soul.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Okay, well good to know that these things can still be viable for me if I were Orthodox. That's nice that I could still do massage and make use of the bioenergy field.

And while the Church does teach of the body as a temple, and used in jobs, charity work, etc. - I wonder why physical self care, self health, is not a big topic in churches? If the body is allegedly to important in Church teaching, as is the Resurrection, why is there not much emphasis on healthy diets, stretching, exercising, etc? I feel as if the body is neglected in favor of the soul.

It's been discussed by priests about taking care of your body. Fr. Josiah says it's just as important to eat right and exercise to take care of your body as it is your soul because they are connected and God created them to be together as one (death from the Fall separated them) - paraphrasing. Sorry if I'm not explaining it very clearly.

It's a given, so it's not really emphasized very much.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
we have to strike a balance here - the body, as you say, is the temple of the Spirit, but at the same time, we seek to be wholly unattached to anything created, and only to the Uncreated -- God. While never hating their bodies, the Saints have often undertaken great asceticism which we might think is "unhealthy."

Upvote 0