Enduring Until the End

brotherjerry

Apr 28, 2006
✟9,581.00
Faith
Baptist
Please discuss the topic and not the poster. Thank you.
My apologies...figured I was trying to stay on topic...in the topic and not having to discuss it in another thread about the same thing. I have concluded through many conversations that "continuing repentance of sin" equates to "enduring until the end", which is the topic of this thread. I was merely trying to point out that another thread about the same thing is not needed.

Upvote 0

ZacharyB

charismatic believer for 23 years
Sep 24, 2015
✟16,678.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your confusion continues.
They were saved because they believed in Jesus Christ for eternal life.
Immediately after talking about their sin and their repenting of it,
Paul says repentance results in salvation.
The context is all about them ... although it is also definitely a universal Truth.

The Lord very often deals with DUALITY purposes and prophecies, such as:
God's wrathful judgments on His OT people who were Israel
will also be repeated on His church at the end of this age (soon!).
Watch, it will be soon ... starting with the pastors!

All of this was written for the benefit of others who might just be open.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The context is all about them ... although it is also definitely a universal Truth.

The Lord very often deals with duality purposes and prophecies,
such as God's wrathful judgments will also be repeated at the end of this age (soon!).

Salvation is by faith.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Greek word means to change the mind. One cannot be saved until one realizes and changes their mind about their eternal destiny apart from Christ. And to believe in Him alone for salvation. That's biblical repentance. Would you like to see the list of verses again?

Upvote 0

ZacharyB

charismatic believer for 23 years
Sep 24, 2015
✟16,678.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Greek word means to change the mind. One cannot be saved until one realizes and changes their mind about their eternal destiny apart from Christ. And to believe in Him alone for salvation. That's biblical repentance. Would you like to see the list of verses again?
WWTWT

(weary of wasting time with thou)

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A huge lie is that one can do what they want and be saved. I fell for it and dove head first into sin. I remember first receiving the HS then diving back to sin. God then put me under a dillusion thinking I was ok. When i came out of it i realized i blasphemed everything holy and probably the HS also. I guess i sit back and wait for eternal fire. i guess money and drugs were more important to me than salvation.This is just a warning to new Christians...sanctify yourself and be holy.
God Bless, Adam

That's why we need the Catholic Church.

The Catholic Church has the grace of the sacraments Jesus gave us, including reconciliation.

John 20
21Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.”22And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.23If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jesus First

Lover of Jesus Christ
Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
✟8,884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I asked if you'd like to see the list of Biblical repentance again. If that's what wasting time is to you, so be it.
Here is a passage that teaches Biblical repentance that involves turning from sin:

"Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out," Acts 3:19.

Verse 26 continues, "God, having raised up his servant, sent him to you first, to bless you by turning every one of you from your wickedness.”

The word repentance involves changing one's mind based on a passage's context. The repentance that Peter advocated here involved turning from sin.

Sadly, FreeGrace2 traffics in the "have your sin and Jesus Gospel". People can be saved while in love of their sin [no Biblical repentance required] and go out and gag on more sin and enter heaven at the expense of rewards.

ZacharyB, you are correct that its just a waste of time.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Sadly, FreeGrace2 traffics in the "have your sin and Jesus Gospel".
No, what is sad is that your statement here is a flat out lie. Maybe you should actually read my posts before posting such nonsense.

People can be saved while in love of their sin [no Biblical repentance required] and go out and gag on more sin and enter heaven at the expense of rewards.

ZacharyB, you are correct that its just a waste of time.
Neither of you appears to know anything about God's matchless grace. Seems your ilk gag on grace rather than understand it. Since you brought up gagging.

btw, you forgot to mention the severe discipline that goes along with the kind of life that you described. It's not just about loss of rewards. It's about God's discipline, which the Bible teaches as being severe. Not that anyone can see into the head of one such child of God being disciplined. So don't even try. It's none-ya business. Just know that no child of God gets away with habitual, continual sin. Paul told the extremely carnal Corinthian church the reason there was so much weakness, sickness and even death in that church.

God promises His children (saved people) eternal security. Anyone is free to believe the deceptions of the world and/or the devil. But God's Word is truth. And the truth is that anyone who has trusted in Jesus Christ for salvation HAS eternal life, (Jn 5:24) and since eternal life is a gift of God (Rom 6:23) and God's gifts are irrevocable (Rom 11:29), every believer has in irrevocable gift. That is eternal security.

Only those who either hate or just terribly misunderstand God's grace will reject this truth.

To reject eternal security is to reject God's promise.

btw, JF: if Jesus is really first, as your handle says, why do you reject His words?

Upvote 0

Jesus First

Lover of Jesus Christ
Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
✟8,884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, what is sad is that your statement here is a flat out lie. Maybe you should actually read my posts before posting such nonsense.

It's not a lie that your theology (Free Grace Theology) doesn't believe that repentance for salvation involves turning from sin. This is heresy.

Neither of you appears to know anything about God's matchless grace. Seems your ilk gag on grace rather than understand it. Since you brought up gagging.

The matchless grace that you describe is a license where sinners can come to Jesus in love with their sin, allegedly be saved, and then optionally commit all the future sins they please because it's covered under grace. This is more heresy.

btw, you forgot to mention the severe discipline that goes along with the kind of life that you described. It's not just about loss of rewards. It's about God's discipline, which the Bible teaches as being severe. Not that anyone can see into the head of one such child of God being disciplined. So don't even try. It's none-ya business. Just know that no child of God gets away with habitual, continual sin. Paul told the extremely carnal Corinthian church the reason there was so much weakness, sickness and even death in that church.

This is further incriminating evidence of your theology where believers can gag on sin and end in heaven. They don't have to turn from their sin to be saved so why turn from it afterwards?

God promises His children (saved people) eternal security. Anyone is free to believe the deceptions of the world and/or the devil. But God's Word is truth. And the truth is that anyone who has trusted in Jesus Christ for salvation HAS eternal life, (Jn 5:24) and since eternal life is a gift of God (Rom 6:23) and God's gifts are irrevocable (Rom 11:29), every believer has in irrevocable gift. That is eternal security.

Yes, anyone who has trusted (past tense) and believes in the present has (in the present) everlasting life. That is conditional security. Let's unpack this verse and allow context and grammar and the Spirit of God, liberty.

Please consider the words of Jesus:

"24 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears [present tense participle] my word and believes [present tense participle] him who sent me has [present tense; right now] eternal life. He does not come into judgment [present tense; right now], but has passed [perfect tense; from the past to present] from death to life." (ESV). John 5:24

Many are quick to emphasize the promise of "eternal life" in this verse. They may assert that "eternal life" cannot be lost because it lasts forever. While "eternal life" does last forever, it shouldn't be confused with possession of the state of "eternal life". Two illustrations may be helpful.

Suppose a man is gifted a $100 dollar bill; it's his and worth $100. If the bill is lost, he no longer has possession of it —the bill is still worth $100.00. It would be illogical to conclude he cannot lose it because the bill will always be worth $100.

Many employers offer life insurance to their employees while they remain with the company. It would be unreasonable for former employees to conclude that their life insurance will always remain in effect, even after leaving the company because it's called "life insurance".

In John 5:24, possession of eternal life is true ("has") while a person "hears" Christ's Word and "believes" in Him ("him who sent me"). To overlook these semantic qualifiers based on established rules of grammar is to reject God's inspired Word. A correct grammatical interpretation of Scripture is necessary for a correct doctrinal understanding. The Bible should define one's theological framework —not one's theology, the Bible.

The Apostle John, with great precision, grammatically constructed the words of Jesus as arranged in this verse. According to the book Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics (521-522; 1996), the two conditional participles used ("hears"; "believes"), best fall within the "customary (habitual or general) present" category . Wallace places the participle "believes" of John 3:16 inside this category (522). This category is defined by Wallace as, "the customary present is used to signal either an action that regularly occurs or an ongoing state" (page 521).

Please consider how Young's Literal Translation emphasizes the necessity to remain in ongoing belief:

Verily, verily, I say to you—He who is hearing my word, and is believing Him who sent me, hath life age-during, and to judgment he doth not come, but hath passed out of the death to the life. (John 5:24)

In the book, Life in the Son, Shank wrote the following:

Contrary to the assumption of many, John 5:24 does not present a privileged position, which, once attained, is forever irrevocable. Quite to the contrary, our Savior's Words depict a privileged position directly governed by the specific condition of habitually hearing and believing. Jesus declares that the happy circumstance of deliverance from present condemnation and of standing passed out of death into life is the privilege only of such as habitually hear His Word and believe the Father. It is only on the basis of a present hearing and believing that one shares the eternal life of God and enjoys deliverance from present condemnation and spiritual death. (Page 61; 1989).
A comparable passage to John 5:24 is probably John 10:27-29. This passage is used regularly to emphasize the doctrine known as "eternal security". While it's true that this passage provides security, it's also true that this security is conditional on perseverance. The "sheep" must "hear" and "follow" the Shepherd for eternal life.

27 My sheep hear [present tense] my voice, and I know [present tense] them, and they follow [present tense] me. 28 I give them [the group in verse 27 that is persevering in the present] eternal life, and they [the group in verse 27 that is persevering in the present] will never perish, and no one will snatch them [the group in verse 27 that is persevering in the present] out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them [the group in verse 27 that is persevering in the present] to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them [the group in verse 27 that is persevering in the present] out of the Father’s hand. (John 10:27-29)
Conclusion:

A grammatical examination of John 5:24 indicates that Jesus requires perseverance ("hears" and "believes") to be saved. This conclusion is not an abstract theological deduction. All credible English translations grammatically affirm the necessity to persevere in the faith for John 5:24. The requirement to persevere is found in other passages of Scripture — especially within John's Gospel.

You wrote, "But God's Word is truth. And the truth is that anyone who has trusted in Jesus Christ for salvation HAS eternal life, (Jn 5:24) and since eternal life is a gift of God (Rom 6:23) and God's gifts are irrevocable (Rom 11:29), every believer has in irrevocable gift. That is eternal security." ---end of your quote---

The Bible is true, but is doesn't state that all who have trusted (past tense) have (present tense) everlasting life. One must stay in the faith by continuing to believe.

You provided Romans 6:23. Yes, the gift of God is eternal life. God is sovereign and is allowed to define "gift" as He pleases. After all, the Bible is God's Word, not man's word.

Earlier in chapter 6, Paul wrote to believers, "Do you not know that if you [believers] present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death [spiritual] or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?" The death here is spiritual death. Paul similarly writes to Christians in verse 23, "For the wages of sin is death [spiritual], but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Based on your theology, believers can live (optionally) the "wages of sin" and not experience spiritual death.

Finally, you provided Romans 11:29 where Paul in the context is writing about the nation of Israel. The Bible only has meaning in context; it's wrong to steal a passage from one context and artificially implant it into another context. This behavior is common with cults. The Bible becomes a Home Depot to build any heresy one wants when the context and grammar are replaced for the preservation of a theology.

Only those who either hate or just terribly misunderstand God's grace will reject this truth. To reject eternal security is to reject God's promise. btw, JF: if Jesus is really first, as your handle says, why do you reject His words?

The book of Jude warns against false teachers who misuse the grace of God as a license to sin.

In Christ!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

The Lord very often deals with DUALITY purposes and prophecies, such as:
God's wrathful judgments on His OT people who were Israel
will also be repeated on His church at the end of this age (soon!).
Watch, it will be soon ... starting with the pastors!

Please list the verse that says that

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's not a lie that your theology (Free Grace Theology) doesn't believe that repentance for salvation involves turning from sin. This is heresy.

The matchless grace that you describe is a license where sinners can come to Jesus in love with their sin, allegedly be saved, and then optionally commit all the future sins they please because it's covered under grace. This is more heresy.
You really do not understand grace.

Repentance by definition involves turning from sin. So if that was not part of the theology why would they use the word 'repent'. It does not make sense.

To say that grace "is a license where sinners then optionally commit all future sins they please because it's covered under grace" is also false.

What you have written is the heresy.

Reactions: brotherjerry
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brotherjerry

Apr 28, 2006
✟9,581.00
Faith
Baptist
You really do not understand grace.

Repentance by definition involves turning from sin. So if that was not part of the theology why would they use the word 'repent'. It does not make sense.

To say that grace "is a license where sinners then optionally commit all future sins they please because it's covered under grace" is also false.

What you have written is the heresy.
To return the favor ;)

Amen!

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
NT repentance is changing the mind. That is truth. One CANNOT be saved until one changed their minds about their own sin, their eternal condemnation and Jesus Christ who died for their sin and gives eternal life to those who trust in Him alone.

To describe God's matchless grace is a license to sin is beyond heresy.

btw, who do you know who actually teaches such bunk? That anyone can "come to Jesus in love with their sin"? Please cite your source. Just making up stuff to bolster your view doesn't impress me any.

This is further incriminating evidence of your theology where believers can gag on sin and end in heaven. They don't have to turn from their sin to be saved so why turn from it afterwards?
Why do your ilk keep ignoring the dire warnings of God's discipline for such believers? Huh? What they'll gag on is God's discipline. It ain't purty.

Yes, anyone who has trusted (past tense) and believes in the present has (in the present) everlasting life. That is conditional security.
Wrong again. Eternal life is a gift of God, per Rom 6:23. God's gifts are irrevocable, per Rom 11:29. Therefore, eternal life is irrevocable. That's ETERNAL SECURITY.

Let's unpack this verse and allow context and grammar and the Spirit of God, liberty.

Please consider the words of Jesus:

"24 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears [present tense participle] my word and believes [present tense participle] him who sent me has [present tense; right now] eternal life. He does not come into judgment [present tense; right now], but has passed [perfect tense; from the past to present] from death to life." (ESV). John 5:24

Many are quick to emphasize the promise of "eternal life" in this verse. They may assert that "eternal life" cannot be lost because it lasts forever. While "eternal life" does last forever, it shouldn't be confused with possession of the state of "eternal life". Two illustrations may be helpful.

Suppose a man is gifted a $100 dollar bill; it's his and worth $100. If the bill is lost, he no longer has possession of it —the bill is still worth $100.00. It would be illogical to conclude he cannot lose it because the bill will always be worth $100.

Many employers offer life insurance to their employees while they remain with the company. It would be unreasonable for former employees to conclude that their life insurance will always remain in effect, even after leaving the company because it's called "life insurance".

In John 5:24, possession of eternal life is true ("has") while a person "hears" Christ's Word and "believes" in Him ("him who sent me"). To overlook these semantic qualifiers based on established rules of grammar is to reject God's inspired Word. A correct grammatical interpretation of Scripture is necessary for a correct doctrinal understanding. The Bible should define one's theological framework —not one's theology, the Bible.
Your so-called unpacking of John 5:24 is just mere speculation. Just because Jesus used the present tense for believe doesn't mean that one only has eternal life as long as one believes. And I can prove this.

Jesus also used the present tense in Luke 8:13 for the second soil, who "believed for a while". So how does that work? How can one presently believe for a while? Doesn't matter. Jesus also noted in the previous verse regarding the first soil, "lest they believe (aorist tense) and be saved". iow, believing as a done deal (past tense idea) means they ARE saved.

Further, Paul's answer to the jailer clearly refutes your speculation. He told the jailer "believe (aorist tense) and you will be (future) saved."

Again, once believed, always saved. And eternal life is an irrevocable gift, as already shown from Scripture.

Please consider how Young's Literal Translation emphasizes the necessity to remain in ongoing belief:
I don't need Young's. The Bible is full of the need for ongoing belief. But NEVER to maintain one's saved state. NEVER.

You wrote, "But God's Word is truth. And the truth is that anyone who has trusted in Jesus Christ for salvation HAS eternal life, (Jn 5:24) and since eternal life is a gift of God (Rom 6:23) and God's gifts are irrevocable (Rom 11:29), every believer has in irrevocable gift. That is eternal security." ---end of your quote---

The Bible is true, but is doesn't state that all who have trusted (past tense) have (present tense) everlasting life. One must stay in the faith by continuing to believe.
In reality, it is your claim that cannot be found in Scripture. We KNOW that eternal life is a gift of God. And we KNOW that God's gifts are irrevocable. Those who can't or simply refuse to connect these dots are just rejecting the truth of God's Word. Simple as that.

You provided Romans 6:23. Yes, the gift of God is eternal life. God is sovereign and is allowed to define "gift" as He pleases. After all, the Bible is God's Word, not man's word.
Yep. My point as well. :)

Earlier in chapter 6, Paul wrote to believers, "Do you not know that if you [believers] present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death [spiritual] or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?" The death here is spiritual death. Paul similarly writes to Christians in verse 23, "For the wages of sin is death [spiritual], but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Based on your theology, believers can live (optionally) the "wages of sin" and not experience spiritual death.
Sure. The reason? Eternal life is irrevocable, which is God's Word.

Just because something offends you doesn't mean God is just as hypersensitive. What you keep forgetting is God's grace.

Finally, you provided Romans 11:29 where Paul in the context is writing about the nation of Israel. The Bible only has meaning in context; it's wrong to steal a passage from one context and artificially implant it into another context. This behavior is common with cults. The Bible becomes a Home Depot to build any heresy one wants when the context and grammar are replaced for the preservation of a theology.
This is just so full of stuff. Paul HAD defined what he meant by God's gifts previously. Why would one think that doesn't apply to 11:29? For NO reason. iow, it's UNREASONABLE to ignore the places where Paul did already define what he meant by God's gifts.

Further, where in ch 11 or ANYWHERE between 6:23 and 11:29 did Paul even describe anything else as a gift of God? I'll help you out here: no where is where.

To reject that 6:23 and 11:29 are directly related is simply to close one's eyes to the truth.

The book of Jude warns against false teachers who misuse the grace of God as a license to sin.

In Christ!
And I fully agree!! Sure, grace can be abused. And legalism is ALWAYS an abuse.

Paul proved in Romans that legalism cannot save. We are saved only by grace through faith.

Upvote 0