Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can question the dubious "record" of the bible all I like, just like you are free to doubt the Greek myths or the Vedas.

I actually know some of the biology around aging (not completely known of course, but we are getting close). As it turns out, cancer cells (of all things, am I right?) don't age, they just divide indefinitely forever so long as they have the resources to do so. These are human cancer cells, clearly, human cells might have the potential still for much longer life spans. And that is in the physics of today.

It is interesting. For whatever reason, a few isolated creatures in certain environments, (often in a symbiotic relationship with other creatures apparently, which seems to help) do seem to have a main feature of aging beat. The biological aspect. Of course there is also the factor nature itself, how the sun affects us, the air and water, gravity, etc etc.

It makes sense that if the very state and nature itself changed, then the processes like transcription and etc would also tend to change.

I notice key features of things that relate to DNA all of course are totally dependent on physics. Examples

Amino acids... "The key elements of an amino acid are carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen, though other elements are found in the side-chains of certain amino acids.....

The carbon atom next to the carboxyl group is called the α–carbon and amino acids with a side-chain bonded to this carbon are referred to as alpha amino acids."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amino_acids

"A covalent bond is a chemical bond that involves the sharing of electron pairs between atoms. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covalent_bond

Naturally all these things involve the forces and laws we now have.

It may be possible for all we know, that certain tweaks could be used to result in very old ages for man. Whether they used embryos, or blood from young people, or animal cells, or whatever..I suspect it would be gross and immoral. But I digress..

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It is possible that God created an Adam and Eve separate/separated from the humanoid-like lifeforms that had evolved and were evolving here, and God set up his created beings to make the evolved humanoid-like lifeforms extinct and replace them... (flood)

It is possible that God was trying to convey "truths" other than that that were strictly "literal"...

It is possible that God was using the term "a thousand years" to convey a much larger period of time to a primitive people...

It is possible that God used the term "a thousand years" to convey an "age" or era...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is possible that God created an Adam and Eve separate/separated from the humanoid-like lifeforms that had evolved and were evolving here,
No. God formed Adam as the first man, and took a rib from him to make Eve. The humanoid like kin garbage is pure fable.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps in the former state the muscles were good for something no longer useful here.

(we were discussing the ear wiggling muscles)

If by former state you mean a previous species that was our ancestral species according to the flesh, and if you mean useful as in turning the ear towards sound prior to our evolution of phase analysis of incoming sound, then you are absolutely right.

Do you have an alternate suggestion?

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
6000 years ago, the entire universe was in the hollow of God's hand ...

Isaiah 40:12 Who hath measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, and meted out heaven with the span, and comprehended the dust of the earth in a measure, and weighed the mountains in scales, and the hills in a balance?

Light from stars didn't travel nearly as far to the earth as it does today.

Then God stretched the universe out ... and the light went with it.

To illustrate, put a bulb next to a globe of the earth and turn the bulb on.

Light from the bulb instantly hits the globe.

Now, in a moment of time, move that bulb 100 miles away.

Well, at 100 miles, we would experience a delay from emission of light to viewer of light of .0005 seconds
I don't think this would be a very definitive comparison to the effects of viewing things at distances that take millions of years for the light to arrive.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, at 100 miles, we would experience a delay from emission of light to viewer of light of .0005 seconds
I don't think this would be a very definitive comparison to the effects of viewing things at distances that take millions of years for the light to arrive.
Then move it 100 million miles away.

I'm sure Adam could see the Pleiades and Orion at night.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Even 100 million light years away. Light does not age so what you see will be 100 million years old. That is why we can still see the ancient universe just a split second after the Big Bang.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Light does not age so what you see will be 100 million years old.
Not if God ordained it otherwise.

Do you realize the plan of salvation is written in the stars?

God didn't just place the stars here and there randomly.

He does everything "decently and in order."

Including the placement of the stars.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Abraham was a Chaldean from Ur and they were very much into Astronomy.

I was talking about back before the stars. Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics say they can detect "Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation" that dates back to the beginning of time.

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/eleme...kthrough-lets-us-see-to-the-beginning-of-time

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics say they can detect "Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation" that dates back to the beginning of time.
It could be the glory of Heaven they are detecting.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Well of course he could, but not because God fudged the way light travels, rather because God made the whole universe over 13 billion years ago.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How is it written in the stars?
One of my favorite examples is Gemini.

The Greeks assumed Gemini were twins; but the Hebrews knew Gemini as one and the same Person:

King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

Another favorite is Aries.

The Greeks called Aries a ram; but the Hebrews knew Aries as a lamb.

When there was three hours of darkness over the Cross at Jesus' crucifixion, when they looked up into the sky, what did they see?

Aries -- the Lamb of God, slain from the foundation of the world.

Revelation 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

The first half of Psalm 19 speaks of astronomical objects (general revelation), then it suddenly switches to the word of God (specific revelation).

Both types of revelation in one chapter.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Greeks assumed Gemini were twins; but the Hebrews knew Gemini as one and the same Person:

King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

Another favorite is Aries.

The Greeks called Aries a ram; but the Hebrews knew Aries as a lamb.

When there was three hours of darkness over the Cross at Jesus' crucifixion, when they looked up into the sky, what did they see?

Aries -- the Lamb of God, slain from the foundation of the world.

Revelation 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

The first half of Psalm 19 speaks of astronomical objects (general revelation), then it suddenly switches to the word of God (specific revelation).

Both types of revelation in one chapter.
The wise men were following a star. It's on the Christmas cards.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The wise men were following a star.
Yes, indeed.

But I believe that star was a hologram, visible only to the Wise Men.

It not only disappeared for a short time, but reappeared and led them to a specific address.

Sort of like a mental laser pointer.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

. . . . .

Constellations are imaginary constructs. Different cultures put up different ideas into their constellations.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Different cultures put up different ideas into their constellations.
Yup -- and they end up falling victim to:

2 Peter 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

God also doesn't act according to your whim... His "order" is far beyond anything your mere human mind can wrap itself around.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God also doesn't act according to your whim... His "order" is far beyond anything your mere human mind can wrap itself around.
Neat.

God told Adam to name the animals; but He named the stars Himself.

Upvote 0