New Orleans
✟17,690.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A lot of folks on the left are afraid of her because of a few comments and her lack of any real judicial record.

Either way, I expect folks on the right will latch on to her having never been a judge and to the fact that she's clearly a lesbian.

I for one hope she's confirmed. I like the Supreme Court as an institution so I don't really get involved in political battles over it as long as the justices are qualified and not blatantly disregarding law (more of a turn of the 20th century thing).

Upvote 0

ulu

Sep 15, 2005
underground
✟12,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Kagan was born in New York City. She is the middle of three children of Gloria Gittelman Kagan and Robert Kagan.[5][6] After graduating from Hunter College High School in 1977, Kagan earned a A.B. from Princeton University, summa cum laude, in 1981. She received Princeton's Daniel M. Sachs Memorial Scholarship, one of the highest general awards conferred by the university, which enabled her to earn an M.Phil degree from Oxford University, at Worcester College in 1983.[7] She received a J.D., magna cum laude, from Harvard Law School in 1986. She was editorial chairman of the Daily Princetonian and later Supervisory Editor of the Harvard Law Review.

and... she's a taurus.

Upvote 0

Crusader05

Veteran
Jan 23, 2005
Omaha, NE
✟22,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
hmmm do you think being a judge, or not, is an issue of qualification? I am inclined to think it is.

Being a judge is not a requirement for being a justice on the Supreme Court. She was dean of Harvard Law School and the Solicitor General of the US. So she does have significant legal experience. A lot of people are encouraging Obama to look at candidates from beyond the judicial circle and I would question whether it's good for every justice to have the same background.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Rehnquist had never been a judge before:wave:

Several other great justices, from both sides of the ideological fence, were either never judges or were only briefly local judges. Hugo Black, Felix Frankfurter, and Earl Warren come quickly to mind. (Clarence Thomas, by the way, had only a year's experience as judge when nominated.) I believe it's also true for Taft and Oliver Wendell Holmes that they had minimal experience as judges, but turned out to be excellent justices.

Kagan is getting criticized from the right for being too liberal, and from the extreme left as too conservative. She sounds to me like she will be a good nominee.

Upvote 0

Crusader05

Veteran
Jan 23, 2005
Omaha, NE
✟22,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I understand, and that is fine. I was just thinking that I would prefer a judge who has actual expereince being a judge. It is simply my opinion, not a big deal.

You know, I understand your point -- but being a SCOTUS judge is something quite different from being even an appellate judge elsewhere. Not only is there no binding precedent (as there is for every other court) but what they decide sets precedent for everyone else. They get to largely choose their own caseload, where other judges have to try whatever comes before them. And they're obliged to balance the rights of Americans against the need for good law enforcement and effective governance in some of the rockiest of situations -- if it makes it up to them, there's likely a major issue at stake.

Upvote 0

nathanlandon1

Feb 4, 2010
✟8,118.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It looks like President Obama has selected Solicitor General Elana Kagan for the US Supreme Court

Elena Kagan Tapped For Supreme Court

Thoughts?

My thoughts: they are taking us for fools and think we are jokes. I also think they are right.

This person has NO PRACTICING JUDICIAL EXPERIENCE. She is an academic. But who cares? American Idol and LOST are coming on this week...

The fact that this can be done without anything from the "American People" shows how little our opinions matter to them. Just like EVERYTHING else that is going on under our noses, that most people call others CRAZY for knowing.

What upsets me the most is that people in the states are going to wait until the absolute last moment and protest/riot like Greece before they get what is going on - and by then it will be TOO LATE. It is already too late.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Crusader05

Veteran
Jan 23, 2005
Omaha, NE
✟22,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My thoughts: they are taking us for fools and think we are jokes. I also think they are right.

This person has NO PRACTICING JUDICIAL EXPERIENCE. She is an academic. But who cares? American Idol and LOST are coming on this week...

The fact that this can be done without anything from the "American People" shows how little our opinions matter to them. Just like EVERYTHING else that is going on under our noses, that most people call others CRAZY for knowing.

What upsets me the most is that people in the states are going to wait until the absolute last moment and protest/riot like Greece before they get what is going on - and by then it will be TOO LATE. It is already too late.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at. She has extensive legal exprerience, including presenting the government's case before the Supreme Court as Solicitor General. Granted, she has not been a judge but that is not a requirement and in the light that she would be the only one on the Court with her experience is beneficial I think. As others have written people on the left and right aren't thrilled with her, she's a fairly moderate choice for relacing a very liberal justice. I dont think anyone should be too angry over this.

I also think you are angry about more than just the Supreme Court. Why dont you expand on that a bit for us?

Upvote 0

nathanlandon1

Feb 4, 2010
✟8,118.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm not really sure what you're getting at. She has extensive legal exprerience, including presenting the government's case before the Supreme Court as Solicitor General. Granted, she has not been a judge but that is not a requirement and in the light that she would be the only one on the Court with her experience is beneficial I think. As others have written people on the left and right aren't thrilled with her, she's a fairly moderate choice for relacing a very liberal justice. I dont think anyone should be too angry over this.

I also think you are angry about more than just the Supreme Court. Why dont you expand on that a bit for us?

I am mad because ALL OF THIS is just a show for us. The States are destroyed - there is no such thing (literally.) The finishing touches are being added. We have been bought over and over. For example, check the envelope for your Census Form: there is a corporate "registered" symbol next to United States of America.

The oil spill is a laughing stock of a show that takes advantage of our apathy toward things we think we cannot change. First, they wanted to use netting to catch the oil, then they wanted to BURN THE OIL, then they wanted to put a metal dome 5000ft down to cap the oil (which failed.) NOW THEY WANT TO SHOOT TRASH IN THE OIL POCKET

Next step to stop oil: Throw garbage at it - CNN.com

This is too ridiculous to not take seriously. And now, People with NO PRACTICING JUDICIAL EXPERIENCE are appointed to one of the most prestigious and highest judicial body in the States?! That may fly in city court, and may even squeak by in state supreme court - but the court that is the arbiter of courts for the whole union?

This means that there is something distinctive about her that cannot be found in the myriad of other decorated and experienced practicing judges in these states (read: agenda/laws passing without problem). It is not so much that I think she shouldn't be on the Supreme Court, but this is just another "thing" they are doing to see how dumb we really are, and how much we will take before we decide "its too much." Greece's breaking point was learning they were bankrupt. But it was still too late because everything has been done - and the only thing they know how to do is use force/riot, which gives Greece a reason to lock them up and create order out of chaos. If they were paying attention they would have know EVERYONE IN THE WORLD is about to go under - EVERYONE.

But, there are convinient terms for people who think like that - crazy, conspiracy theorist, dissenter, radical, extremist, etc. Yet, when the stuff DOES hit the fan everyone is so taken back they either go primitive or commit suicide. If people just paid attention and asked questions/researched for themselves instead of letting RussiaToday, CNN, FoxNews, MSNBC, CNBC, Bloomberg, etc. do it for them - we would be in MUCH better shape.

Rome is burning and no one cares!

Reactions: ulu
Upvote 0

nathanlandon1

Feb 4, 2010
✟8,118.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am also mad because I want to have kids really bad, but there is no way I am procreating in a world like this until I feel like it is suitable to raise a child. We need to get this world together and stop bringing innocent souls in this world to be completely corrupted.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I am also mad because I want to have kids really bad, but there is no way I am procreating in a world like this until I feel like it is suitable to raise a child. We need to get this world together and stop bringing innocent souls in this world to be completely corrupted.

There has never been a better time to have children. If anything medically comes up the help is there. If you lose your job the food will be there. Stop worrying so much about things beyond your control. Most people get along with life pretty well being blissfully ignorant.

As for the nominee. You never know until they start making rulings.

Upvote 0

nathanlandon1

Feb 4, 2010
✟8,118.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There has never been a better time to have children. If anything medically comes up the help is there. If you lose your job the food will be there. Stop worrying so much about things beyond your control. Most people get along with life pretty well being blissfully ignorant.

As for the nominee. You never know until they start making rulings.

Please tell me this is GROSS SARCASM...it really sounds like it lol

Upvote 0