Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Daniel 8 relates a vision of a ram and a goat. A ram (male sheep) first appears from the east, then a goat "with a notable horn" appears, attacking the ram. While they are both clean animals, the sheep is an animal Yeshua compares himself to, while the goat is in certain passages used as a symbol for evil or condemnation.

The traditional interpretation shared by Jews and Christians is that the ram represents the Persian empire, while the goat represents Alexander the Great and his Greek empire, which formed the cultural base for the modern west and therefore for the modern world.

Greece vs. Persia? Sounds like 300.
But why is Persia represented by a ram?
Is the goat actually the "good one", in a reversal of symbology meant to challenge us?
Or is God's symbology consistent?

The interesting thing to me is that Persia was at this time not Mithraist/Zoroastrian, but rather part of the Elist cultural-religious family, which explains why scripture would represent Persia by a ram. They share the concept of El. Like the other Elists, the Persians assumed El (God) had a son who was his primary agent, named Baal or Bel (Lord) who generally acted on his behalf and who also had to die and be resurrected.

I think this is ultimately why Persia was represented as a ram.

While weeping for Tammuz (another name for Baal, son of El) is forbidden, God clearly understands that it is a form of paganism that pre-figures the truth. For this reason there is a hierarcy among cultures/religions.

In ancient times this ideological hierarchy could probably be represented thus:
Elist monotheism > Elist polytheism > non-Elist polytheism / other.

I honestly suspect that non-Elist forms of monotheism (Atenism, Sikhism) would be seen as subversive. In fact it is never mentioned in scripture or in any traditional material I have ever read, probably exactly because it was seen as "far out" and subversive. Or, perhaps the Jews just didn't buy the idea that there were non-Elist forms of monotheism. Indeed, if it turns out to be true that Atenism was not the pure monotheism that some make it out to be, then the only forms of monotheism recorded in the middle east would be Elist. The Bible treats non-Israelite worshippers of El, such as Jethro, as part of its cultural spectrum, whereas Egyptian polytheism, Mithraism, Hinduism, Greek polytheism and so on are admitted to be genuinely foreign and original.

In the vision God gave to Nebuchadnezzar, Elist Babylon is represented as a HEAD of GOLD, and Elist Persia is represented as an upper body of silver. Half the statue so far is representative of Elist nations. The second half, from the belly and down, is representative of the prolific and influential Greco-Roman culture, the belly of bronze representing Greece and the two legs of iron representing Rome, which would be split into a western and a eastern half. (Ancient writings frequently refer to the Byzantines as Romans.)

Despite being an Elist text, the authors of the Quran, by denying that Yeshua is the son of God, miss the symbolical connection from their own polytheist past: El has a son, God has a son, called the Lord.

In the Elist religious framework that was followed in (pre-Islamic) Babel, Asshur, Canaan and Arabia, El not only had a son, Baal, but this son had to die, and thereby defeat death. The battle of Baal (Lord) and Mot (death) can be read by anyone today. As in the Bible, the Lord's defeat of death signifies the subjugation of the last enemy ("the last enemy to be defeated is death" 1 Cor. 15:26) and Baal being given complete sovereignty over all things by his father El.

Note:
The "dying son" is not unique to the Elist family of religions. Nor is it the only defining feature of Elism. The Elism of Babylon and Persia likely had various ideological or practical points that caused God to rank it above other religious conceptualities.

Indeed, when the prophets of the El of Israel criticize the other El-religions, it has to be historically understood as an interfamilial dispute. The Hebrew Bible does not waste time naming the gods of Egypt, Zoroastrianism or Greek mythology, and the NT is also extremely reticent with the names of non-Semitic deities: the goddess Diana really only being mentioned in Acts 19 because she was the chosen deity of a certain silversmith (the silversmith being the real focus of that narrative). As a rule the names of non-Semitic gods only appear when part of a place-name or personal name.

If, as an example, the religions of India and Tibet had been known to the prophets of Israel they likely would not have spent time on these either, exactly because of their foreignness. And despite their merits, they too would have been ranked inferior to polytheist Elism. Buddhist monks probably make better neighbors than anyone else in the world, and wouldn't harm a fly (supposedly). Nevertheless, their ideological system is objectively speaking extremely far removed from the Elist family, being as it is derived from Hinduism.

Elist polytheism, if we are to believe scripture and tradition, actually is or at least began as a worship of the 70 Elohim that serve the Creator-El of Israel (these 70 are called "Gods" and "Sons of God" in Psalm 82, "Princes" in Daniel).

THE MEAT:

The worship of Baal (Lord) son of El (God) is of course also symbolically significant since it pre-figures the worship of Lord Yeshua, the son of God.

Here is a supremely fascinating thing that most people miss:

When the prophets of Israel are criticizing the worship of Baal, the subtext really is: why do you worship the son of El, at the expense of El ?
Why is the Father not your FOCUS ?
It's like you make the Father point to the Son, rather than the way it should be: The Son pointing to the Father.

Last edited:

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Nicely put together, interesting and thought provoking. Will take some investigation of my own to contribute or contest context.

Thank you for the kind words!
I am still editing in a few final touches, I hope to make my points clear. But if something is confusing or incorrect in your view let me know Vis !

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
The ancient Babylonians, Canaanite and Arabs used to believe each place had its own Baal, its own Husband-Master who had a contractual obligation to defend that place, in a sort of feudal system.

They were created by El the creator god who ruled over them. For the Jews, the exact equivalents were the beings today called angels, each with a charge or responsibility over a particular place or thing. Catholics have a similar concept of patron saints with territorial or occupational associations. Unlike the Baalim and angels (Psalm 82), the patron saints of Catholicism are generally not seen as obligated to their constituents.

The angels are usually called Keruvim, rather than Malakim/angels in the Hebrew Bible. Nevertheless Malak is an interesting term as it of course calls to mind the word Melek, king. This shows that there was a continual understanding that angelic beings were defined relative to what they had authority over, or in other words, what they ruled over. Their other titles include Sarim (princes), Elohim and Beney Elohim.

Per this feudal system, each city/state/city-state (ideally) had its own firstborn monarch, who in ancient times would also have been the primary religious representative of the people under his charge. In other words, a priest-king of the Sumerian religio-political system which all middle eastern cultures, and perhaps all cultures, descend from (following the flood). The priest-king, in addition to performing some sacrifice, is symbolically associated with his own sacrifice. The ancient priest-king was thus asscoiated with the Dying God. This is elaborated on by Sir George Frazer in his famous study "The Golden Bough."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pinacled

walking with the Shekinah
Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
With all the gifts our Lord gave you. This could be a time for you to shine for all to see.

Think of a house as his to build. You have gotten the foundation, and seem to think be gathering other foundations. Have you forgoten has prepared a mansion for you?

When I first came to this forum you jumped my case pretty quickly. So out of respect I held my tongue for quite some time now. Think back on how long I have been a member and contributed to your threads.
But this thread is to painfull for me to read knowing how smart you are.
Please stay away from the people that have lead you this direction.

Upvote 0

pinacled

Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I knew we had to do something about all those pesky gamma rays! ;)
Me and these pesky electronics. I try to spell check. And yet when I read my post something seems to get mis communicated. My guess is program interface or data corruption via interference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
But this thread is to painfull for me to read

Assuming you are adressing me:
Have you indeed read the words I've written and if so what specifically in this study causes you to react in this remarkable and dramatic way ?

I actually take it for granted when I meet or talk to someone that our theologies are different. That's the narrow path. That is one of the reasons the more objective fields of study, like history and linguistics, appeal to me.

If you carefully re-read my study without preconceptions and find you still disagree, please share your reasons, and we'll have a discussion. You should also not forget that I consider Hebrew language to be the first language and some form of early monotheistic (El-worshipping) culture to be the original from which others descended.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
@pinacled: While your reaction remains quite disproportional (and weirdly unspecific), I did find occasion to explain something. I should have clarified I mean post-flood civilizations when I suggested all human cultures in one way or other descend from the Sumerian system (as described in Genesis 11.) I have clarified that in the text now.

I view monotheist Elism, in other words the worship of the Elohim of the Bible, as the original and true religion. The angels were worshipped by certain people, and this became polytheistic Elism, and took on original forms. Each human tribe or nation basically went on to create their own religions, some clearly derived from Elism, and some highly original.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Buddhist monks probably make better neighbors than anyone else in the world, and wouldn't harm a fly (supposedly)
???
Did you ever read ACTS, Philippians, Romans, Hebrews and Revelation ?
Does your assembly accept the Torah and the New Testament ?

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
???

I don't understand your question. Maybe you should clarify what you mean.

I think it's pretty obvious that I have read the Word of God, being that I quote it (TNK and NT) all the time. Those who care for his Word are those who investigate and study it, not those who obfuscate it with historical revisionism and anachronistic concepts.

An appreciation for and understanding of ancient near eastern religion is prerequisite for understanding of historical Israelite religion as expressed in the Tanak and New Testament. That is what the studies I have shared here are concerned with.

I guess this is your way of telling me that you have misinterpreted my words, and that you disagree with your misinterpretation. But even if you interpreted my words correctly you'd probably disagree, but for different reasons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pinacled

Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't understand your question. Maybe you should clarify what you mean.

I think it's pretty obvious that I have read the Word of God, being that I quote it (TNK and NT) all the time. Those who care for his Word are those who investigate and study it, not those who obfuscate it with historical revisionism and anachronistic concepts.

An appreciation for and understanding of ancient near eastern religion is prerequisite for understanding of historical Israelite religion as expressed in the Tanak and New Testament. That is what the studies I have shared here are concerned with.

I guess this is your way of telling me that you have misinterpreted my words, and that you disagree with your misinterpretation. But even if you interpreted my words correctly you'd probably disagree, but for different reasons.
Forgive me if I cannot grasp the past.
You see long ago I learned from my Lord and master that he reaps where he did no sow.

Now if you wish to destoy any variace of communication. A standard will be held until he decides to return.

Until then it is our responsibility to admister, to one another.
As I stated before you have a Lamp to show.
Please let everyone see.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Forgive me if I cannot grasp the past.
You see long ago I learned from my Lord and master that he reaps where he did no sow.

Now if you wish to destoy any variace of communication. A standard will be held until he decides to return.

Until then it is our responsibility to admister, to one another.
As I stated before you have a Lamp to show.
Please let everyone see.

1. Why are quoting my words to jeff ?
My reply to jeff applies to jeff.

2. I learned from my Master to speak the truth directly, even when pharisees rise to throw scorn on you. The fact that you cannot give one single reason for your banal accusations against me, and the fact that you decline my invite to actually read my words closely, indicates to me you have no real reason for your outburst.

"Forgive me if I cannot grasp the past."

It is very strange to speak of forgiveness relative to something purely intellectual like historical research. You're either right or you are wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
???

Jeff every time I read this, it makes less sense. I've been thinking about it and your reply still baffles me.

I am saying that regardless of the high morality ascribed to them in popular culture, they are intellectually far removed from the Biblical teachings. (The Karmic religions are a separate category from the Elist religions, by any taxonomy.) Note the dichotomy of morality and intellect.

Note also that my use of the word "supposedly" clearly calls into question whether indeed they really are such examplaries of virtue to begin with.

You managed to take something that's really just a peripheral point, where I acknowledge that it is possible to be a good person despite having no knowledge of the truth and you demand an explanation for it, calling into question whether or not I believe the Torah.

That is really quite ridiculous and cringe-worthy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Continuing my studies: It seems to me some people in the MJ community do not have an understanding of how terms like Baal and El can be used in a neutral way (descriptive), in a negative way (as names or titles of pagan deities), and in a positive way (as names or titles of God and Yeshua), all in the same Bible.

In Proverbs 12:4, Baal is used to mean husband. In Exodus 22:8 it is used to mean the owner of a house. In Genesis 49:23, the plural term "masters (Baaley) of the arrow" is usually translated as "archers".

Isaiah 54:5 says:
For your Husband (Baal) is your Creator; the LORD of hosts is his name: and the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; the God of the whole earth shall he be called.

God placed various angels in charge of various nations, as directly described in Daniel, and these constitute the Baalim of the nations.
These angels became subjects of worship.
Baal is as a result used unspecifically to mean a deity that acts as a lord/husband relative to his worshipers.
It is also used to refer to specific Baalim, like Baal Pe'or and Baal Berith.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Certain root words are of vital importance to truly understanding the religion and the scriptures of the ancient Hebrews.

EL

The semitic root "El" denotes any supernatural entity, but most particularly the Creator, his personal angelic representative, and the 70 angelic rulers. While El (and related terms like Elohim, Alaha and Allah) gradually changed into a personal name for the Creator, (thus replacing the tetragrammaton,) the term anciently had a wide range of usage, being applied to entities such as the golden calf (Exodus 32:4, 32:31) and to the ghost of Samuel (1 Samuel 28:13).

Proverbs 3:27 says:
"Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power (El) of thy hand to do it."

El is here translated as "power", interestingly.
Just as interesting, the term "them to whom it is due" is actually מבעליו, a word derived from the root Baal, which is the next word we will look at.

BAAL

The semitic root "Baal" indicates any master, possessor or husband of something; most particularly it denotes the El in charge of a nation. It can thus be synonymous and interchangeable with Heb. Sar and Gk. Archon.

In Proverbs 3:27 a form of this word is used to denote the "owners" of certain rights. For example an elder man owns/possesses the right to be respected and to sit when others stand, and so on. He is the Baal of such things, the owner/possessor of these rights, and Proverbs specifically tells us to be aware of people's rights (or their "due" as the English translation says).

The literal meaning of Baal is retained in titles like Baal Shem Tov, which was the title of a famous Rabbi from the 1700's (usually translated "the Master of the Good Name"), making it a very notable example of the Jewish ability to preserve a word's original meaning over the course of multiple millennia.

Baal is also the root of "Be'ulah", meaning Betrothed. This is a name for the holy land of Israel (Isaiah 62:4), indicating it has a Baal guarding it (per the covenant contract). To construct a more accurate English equivalent one could have said something like "the Lorded land" or "Belorded".

ADON

In scripture the word "Adon" is used in exactly the same way "Baal" would be used.
Scripture records that Sarah called her husband "Adon" (Lord) (Genesis 18:12.)
From the context it is clear that Lord is being used in the capacity of Husband, making its usage completely equivalent to the word Baal.

1 Peter 3:6, using the term Kurios, refers back to the event and implies a larger tradition, which fits perfectly with what we know from studies of Ancient Near Eastern culture.
The Greek text specifically says she was "calling him Lord", a verbal tense that tells us it was an ongoing thing and not a one-time event.

In the Bible this word usually occurs with a Yod suffix, being pronounced either Adoni or Adonai. These two pronounciations are today interpreted as two different words, taken to mean "my Lord" (sing.) and "Lords" (royal plural) respectively, the Yod being taken as possessive in one case and as a plural suffix in the other.

Adonai is traditionally used as a stand-in for the tetragrammaton. The Ferrara Bible (1553 CE) goes so far as to replace the Name with simply an "A" for Adonai.
While Adonai refers to the Creator, Adoni and Adon are mostly or entirely reserved for humans and angels.

Last edited:
Upvote 0