1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Effective Homemade Cough Syrup

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by seashale76, Dec 30, 2012.

1. seashale76

seashale76 Orthodox Christian

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    I've been coughing up a storm all day, and I've also had a sore throat that has been making me miserable. So, out of desperation I made up some cough syrup as I didn't want to go to the store. This stuff works, is all I can say. It has mostly cleared up my phlegmy cough (it was really bad) and my throat is no longer sore. I wound up taking most of it in one go. I'll likely have to take it tomorrow as well, but thus far it works much better than anything I've ever tried before.

1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1/4 tsp. ground ginger
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon honey
    2 tablespoons water

2. Flowersforever

Flowersforever Newbie

Faith:
    Seeker
    Honey does have an effect on a cough. I don't know if I could handle the apple cider vinegar. It's claimed apple cider vinegar is good for many ailments such as heart burn etc.

3. graciesings

graciesings I sparkle.

Faith:
    Catholic
    LOL that sounds like heartburn inducing syrup.
    Increase the red pepper to 1 tsp and you could clear your sinuses, too!
    Traditionally Texas cough syrup also has whiskey in it. I don't really like that kind.
    I know one mother who read that sucking on a square of dark chocolate helps a cough. She tried it on her kids. Now she isn't sure if it actually cured them, or if they have the sense to smother their coughs for half an hour afterwards.