Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Edward Snowden's lawyer is working with the United States on his return home | Daily Mail Online

Edward Snowden may finally stand trial as Russian lawyer for the NSA leaker reveals they are working with the United States on his return home
- Edward Snowden may finally return home to the United States it was revealed on Tuesday
- Snowden's Russian lawyer Anatoly Kucherena said they were working out a way to solve the issue of his extradition with the United States
- Snowden has been charged with theft of government property and two counts of violating the 1917 Espionage Act ...
- This comes one week after the documentary about Snowden leaking this information, Citizenfour, won the Oscar for Best Documentary
- Snowden has said that he will return home if he is given a fair trial by the United States government
- He recently said his biggest regret through this all is that he did not come forward with these leaks sooner

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
In today's news, looks like no return soon for Edward Snowden Snowden says U.S. not offering fair trial if he returns | Reuters
"I would love to go back and face a fair trial, but unfortunately ... there is no fair trial available, on offer right now," he said from Russia in a live question and answer discussion organized by Canadian Journalists for Free Expression, Toronto's Ryerson University and the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.​

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Coming back would be stupid because he will have to spend decades in prison. What he did is clearly a crime, he freely admits to doing it and he is not mentally ill. He has made it really hard for his lawyer to defend him.

Maybe Rudy Giuliani will come for a visit. Maybe he can have a shot of Russian vodka with Snowden and Putin.

Upvote 0

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Snowden remains a hero to many:

Edward-Snowden-Statue.jpg

Busted: Edward Snowden statue prompts cover-up at Brooklyn park | US news | The Guardian

This remains a very interesting case.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A fair trial or one that allows him to go off scott free? Whistle blowing is reporting about $ 500.00 hammers, $ 2000.00 toilet seats, or the recent VA scandals. What Snowden did was Treason.

Whistle blowing is also about reporting the breaking or overreach of US law, by the government.

I don't really know whether Snowden committed treason or not. He may have, but I would love to hear his defense presented in court.

Also, since putting up a legit defense, would likely involve revealing information the government would not want released, is it possible he could get a fair trial and how much of his proposed defense, would be suppressed by the court?

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Whistle blowing is also about reporting the breaking or overreach of US law, by the government.

I don't really know whether Snowden committed treason or not. He may have, but I would love to hear his defense presented in court.

Also, since putting up a legit defense, would likely involve revealing information the government would not want released, is it possible he could get a fair trial and how much of his proposed defense, would be suppressed by the court?

Pointing out the abuses by the US Government would be whistle blowing. Providing classified materials that point out the abuses by the US Government to foreign governments is Treason.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Pointing out the abuses by the US Government would be whistle blowing. Providing classified materials that point out the abuses by the US Government to foreign governments is Treason.

I understand it is against the law to provide classified documents to other governments or to the public and technically, that is treason.

What I am curious about again, is what his defense would be, for doing what he did, that's all.

Did he make any attempts to notify government officials of this supposed government overreach and they were refuted? Did he forgo any attempts to notify government officials of this overreach, because he had reason to fear what would happen to him? In other words, did he have legitimate reason, to conclude, the path he took was the only way to reveal the overreach?

Have you have ever watched the head of the NSA testify before congress?

Furthermore, I really don't think the US wants to try him in open court and they hope he stays secluded somewhere for a long time.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I understand it is against the law to provide classified documents to other governments or to the public and technically, that is treason.

What I am curious about again, is what his defense would be, for doing what he did, that's all.

Did he make any attempts to notify government officials of this supposed government overreach and they were refuted? Did he forgo any attempts to notify government officials of this overreach, because he had reason to fear what would happen to him? In other words, did he have legitimate reason, to conclude, the path he took was the only way to reveal the overreach?

Have you have ever watched the head of the NSA testify before congress?

Furthermore, I really don't think the US wants to try him in open court and they hope he stays secluded somewhere for a long time.

He flew to Hong Kong before he decided to “expose” the corruption of the US Government. Not the best way to show your only intention was to expose illegal wiretapping.

I’m not a fan of Hillary, but she got this one right.

Hillary Clinton: Edward Snowden's Leaks Helped Terrorists - NationalJournal.com

"When he emerged and when he absconded with all that material, I was puzzled because we have all these protections for whistle-blowers. If he were concerned and wanted to be part of the American debate, he could have been," she said. "But it struck me as—I just have to be honest with you—as sort of odd that he would flee to China, because Hong Kong is controlled by China, and that he would then go to Russia—two countries with which we have very difficult cyberrelationships, to put it mildly."

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
He's both hero and villain. The possibility of an open trial seems inconceivable currently though ... due to the material he released requiring security.

The only possible way for him to return would seem to be by pardon. Perhaps under a subsequent administration.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
He flew to Hong Kong before he decided to “expose” the corruption of the US Government. Not the best way to show your only intention was to expose illegal wiretapping.

I’m not a fan of Hillary, but she got this one right.

Hillary Clinton: Edward Snowden's Leaks Helped Terrorists - NationalJournal.com

"When he emerged and when he absconded with all that material, I was puzzled because we have all these protections for whistle-blowers. If he were concerned and wanted to be part of the American debate, he could have been," she said. "But it struck me as—I just have to be honest with you—as sort of odd that he would flee to China, because Hong Kong is controlled by China, and that he would then go to Russia—two countries with which we have very difficult cyberrelationships, to put it mildly."

That all sounds good, but much more information would need to be revealed for me to reach a conclusion, of what may have been going on beyond the scene.

Like I said, he may be guilty as can be and had legit other options to reveal the overreach. Or, he may have had legit reasons to fear revealing the overreach, I can't conclude, without hearing the evidence he side would provide.

Upvote 0

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A fair trial or one that allows him to go off scott free? Whistle blowing is reporting about $ 500.00 hammers, $ 2000.00 toilet seats, or the recent VA scandals. What Snowden did was Treason.

~ What Snowden did was Treason ~

According to the law, treason consists in aiding and abetting our enemies. Those enemies will have to be identified and the nature of the aid and comfort specifically detailed. Should be interesting to see how the government does that assuming that it can.

Upvote 0