Education

What is your worldview and education level?

• Creationist - highschool dropout

• Creationist - highschool diploma

• Creationist - college/university degree in non-sciences

• Creationist - college/university degree in science

• TE - highschool dropout

• TE - highschool diploma

• TE - college/university degree in non-sciences

• TE - college/university degree in science

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
It has been asserted before that, in general, creationists tend to be less well educated in the sciences than "evolutionists". Creationists like to refute this claim by pointing to those relatively few degree-holding scholars that lead the ranks of AiG, ICR, DI, etc. Some even accuse scientists of not knowing what science is (a recent post by dad comes to mind). I thought it might be interesting to see what a local poll says about the matter. As Christians, let's all be honest.

random_guy

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
✟3,457.00
Faith
Christian
Battie said:
Clarification for my vote (TE - college/university degree in science):

I'm one year away from my degree, and it's in Computer Science. I hope that counts both ways.

Off topic, but congratulations or condolences, depending on how you look at it. I graduated with a CS degree about 2 years ago and ended up hating programming. I hope you have much more enjoyment. Personally, I blame it all on video games. It made me want to be a CS major (as 99% of all incoming CS students want to be game programmers, no joke), and now I hate them. I'm going back for more school in hopes of getting a Ph.D. in Bioengineering.

Upvote 0

Battie

Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Northern Virginia
Visit site
✟9,989.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
random_guy said:
Off topic, but congratulations or condolences, depending on how you look at it. I graduated with a CS degree about 2 years ago and ended up hating programming. I hope you have much more enjoyment. Personally, I blame it all on video games. It made me want to be a CS major (as 99% of all incoming CS students want to be game programmers, no joke), and now I hate them. I'm going back for more school in hopes of getting a Ph.D. in Bioengineering.

I don't like programming much either, but it's a useful skill and CS gives me a good background for IT work, which is what I really like to do with computers. Plus, I'm overloading on art classes, so I also have that path to follow. Something will work out.

Bioengineering sounds pretty awesome, though.

Upvote 0

tel0004

Lost in Translation
Sep 8, 2005
Ohio
✟18,208.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I answered Creationist, College degree in Non science. Im still in college, so I dont have a degree, but I'm more than half way done. I dont think programming should count as a science for this poll. I think to make it more clear, we should include natural sciences, but not include social sciences.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

random_guy

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
✟3,457.00
Faith
Christian
tel0004 said:
I answered Creationist, College degree in Non science. Im still in college, so I dont have a degree, but I'm more than half way done. I dont think programming should count as a science for this poll. I think to make it more clear, we should include natural sciences, but not include social sciences.

I guess it depends on the kind of programming. I took mostly theory courses in college (Machine Learning, AI, Computational Theory, etc...) which I consider to be more science. Networking, databases, OS could count as science, too, it focuses on the theory. I think there should be a distinction between software engineering (which I don't consider to be a science degree) and computer science (which I do consider to be a science degree).

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ah, CC! If I could do it all over again, I'd do Sociology (of ancient societies). That's not to say I don't like Computer Science. I've got a powerful like for it. But I've really been enjoying exploration of ancient mindsets and paradigms of thought.

I'll post pix in the CC Krazy Kafe of my graduation (MS in CS) as soon as people send me pictures.

Upvote 0

jon914

May 8, 2006
Laredo, tx
✟7,918.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Mallon said:
It has been asserted before that, in general, creationists tend to be less well educated in the sciences than "evolutionists". Creationists like to refute this claim by pointing to those relatively few degree-holding scholars that lead the ranks of AiG, ICR, DI, etc. Some even accuse scientists of not knowing what science is (a recent post by dad comes to mind). I thought it might be interesting to see what a local poll says about the matter. As Christians, let's all be honest.

My girl friend daughter comes home from Fl. state and she knew everything. We would have small fights over ceation and such. She said that her professor said........!
So her professor said that the fact is evolution, but he can not prove it. So his degee is useless if he is a lier or does not speak with understanding.

So allow me to ask this question. If you have many teacher, who teach a lie does that make them intelligent.....? Does a PHD or a Doctor degee give them understanding.

If I remember John and Peter were fishermen and the rest did not have a degee. Maybe Paul did, but had to go for 3 more years in the desert for practical training.

So what is a degee? Not much unless it tells me how hot or cold it is.
I have a PHD (post hole digger) does that count.;)

John914

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
jon914 said:
My girl friend daughter comes home from Fl. state and she knew everything. We would have small fights over ceation and such. She said that her professor said........!
So her professor said that the fact is evolution, but he can not prove it. So his degee is useless if he is a lier or does not speak with understanding.

So allow me to ask this question. If you have many teacher, who teach a lie does that make them intelligent.....? Does a PHD or a Doctor degee give them understanding.

If I remember John and Peter were fishermen and the rest did not have a degee. Maybe Paul did, but had to go for 3 more years in the desert for practical training.

So what is a degee? Not much unless it tells me how hot or cold it is.
I have a PHD (post hole digger) does that count.;)

John914
Simply making an observation here, but that sounds like something someone would say if they don't have a degree but want to downplay the importance of having one so that the weight of their opinion doesn't suffer dramatically. A degree reflects familiarity with and commitment to a given field and can be used to determine both one's proficiency with the details of said field and their ability to provide insight on relevant issues.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Robert the Pilegrim

Senior Veteran
Nov 21, 2004
✟17,687.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
tel0004 said:
Computer Science like math is ... I'm not sure what it is :(, but it generally isn't science, though as noted one can get quite theoretical.

I tend to agree that for the purposes of this poll we should probably be speaking of the natural sciences, but then again ... I dunno.

In any case, do everybody remember that these CF polls are sometimes interesting but always highly unscientific.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Robert the Pilegrim said:
Computer Science like math is ... I'm not sure what it is :(, but it generally isn't science, though as noted one can get quite theoretical.

I tend to agree that for the purposes of this poll we should probably be speaking of the natural sciences, but then again ... I dunno.

In any case, do everybody remember that these CF polls are sometimes interesting but always highly unscientific.

Computer Science is science, loosely speaking. The question is whether Mallon wanted "science" to refer exclusively to the Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and related sciences. In CS, we have peer-reviewed journals, and when we publish our experiments have to be reproducible. Some of the fields extend into math so there are proofs involved, so some may say it only borders on what can be termed, "science," but I'd consider it a science.

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
jon914 said:
Does a PHD or a Doctor degee give them understanding.

Having been the Academic Program Director for a Doctoral degree program at a major research university I can answer, yes, a PhD does provide one with understanding, with a high degree of certainty. Science based PhDs are not trivial. Those who treat them as trivial do not earn the degree.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green

figuring the rise of modern universities is 1500 years in their future i wouldn't expect them to have degrees, nor would i expect that they worn a suit, tie, and wing tip shoes in order to preach. But their clothing choices are not therefore either binding nor examplars for us, nor is their degrees or lack thereof.

Personally i have never heard a sermon from a preacher who did not have a college and a seminary degree, that doesn't mean that all their sermons were good, just a bit more uniform and expressing good theology then if you widen the preacher's requirements.

Reactions: Willtor
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.