ecumenism

buzuxi

Nov 25, 2003
Visit site
✟2,265.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Some canons were passed for a specific reason that was occuring at that time. When the problem is resolved they can be left to lie dormant but they cant be rescinded. Eikononia can be used if the Canon which was meant to resolve a conflict can make the problem worse.

As far as I'm concerned the "spirit" of Canon 50 is in no way being violated by the jurisdictional situation in Ametica. No bishop, is attempting to steal parishes of his fellow bishop. No synod is urging their bishops to swallow up the parishes of another's jurisdiction, nor is any bishop trying to expand their defined territory in defiance of their synod.

Except for the MP parishes which are uncanonical by their very own design, the spirit of the canon is not being violated.

Look at whatever canons deal with dance. Folk dances of Byzantium are centuries old. But what you won't find in the greek/byzantine tradition are the provacative dances. There is no tango or labada or whatever its called in the Orthodox culture.. For what ever reason in our modern time greek women are obsessed with Latin dance, so it maybe time to bring this Canon back to the fore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I HAD to read them as I was in seminary, i.e. I was studying to become a priest. Even we tread lightly through the Rudder because its very easy to become legalistic about them and take some canons in directions they were never meant to go. It's like non-monastics reading the Ladder and trying to apply their lives the same way a monastic would.

Upvote 0