Falmouth Maine
✟4,316.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
To give you some background this is my favorite Mass of the whole year. I look forward to this Mass all year. I have very fond memories from when I lived in Massachusetts and would go to my Parish every year. We had a nice big Church with almost cathedral like celings. So our Pastor was able to light the fire at the foot of the altar. He pretty much had a bond fire with flames sometimes reaching 5 feet or more in the air.

Mass was always very reverendly said. In fact the pastor would keep the lights turned off all during the Easter Proclamation (Exsultet) They used all the bells and whistles so to speak. Had a great choir and used incense and just everything was really beautiful.

Anyway, I went to a Church I don't paticularly care for for Easter Vigil tonight. It's run by the Jesuits. The first thing I noticed that was out of place was the red sanctuary light was on before Mass began. I didn't say anything but my mom questioned it and they said they had the Body in the tabernacle from last night's Good Friday service. Then the altar boys lit the candles on the altar before Mass. They quickly came out and put them out. That was a simple mistake and not anything that got me "upset." Then there was an elderly woman behind me that was talking all through mass and talking very loudly. She was loud enough so people in other sections of the Church were looking at her. Again, this was a trying event but this could happen at any Church. She was obviously not with it and her family was trying to tell her to be quiet all the time and they were embarassed.

So, before Mass starts the priest goes up and explains everything that is going to happen. Then he explains he isn't going to read the Easter Vigil Gospel reading but rather the Easter Sunday Morning Gospel reading because he has to do both homilies and he wasn't going to do 2 homiles.

Then at the start of Mass they make an annoucement to turn to each other and say hello and greet each other, something I find inappropriate for Mass. The instead of starting the Mass in darkness they start Mass with the lights on and have a procession to the altar and they say a couple of prayers before going out back to where the fire is. I have never seen this happen in any Easter Vigil Mass I have been to.

The music they play sounds like something out of a protestant worship service. The priest had the altar servers and readers gather around the altar and hold hands during the Our Father. Everyone in the congregation either held hands or had their hands stretched out like they were trying to imitate the priest.

This was just everything that I remember at the time. I wish I had gone to the Cathedral which is my Parish. The Bishop is a very reverend and traditional Bishop and I loved his Good Friday homily...he mentioned abortions and contraception. The homiiles I have heard from him have been outstanding and some of the most traditional homilies I have heard in a NO Mass. The Mass itself and almost all the people have great reverence for the Mass and for Jesus. This is a parish that you have quite a long wait every week for cofession compared to other churches I go to where you are lucky if anyone is going.

It's a parish that says the Rosary before Mass on weekends. In fact the only reason I went to the Church I went to is it's the Church that my parents like and most likely this is going to be our last Easter together before I go into the monastery so I wanted to be together with my parents for our last Easter Vigil. My parents are completely opposite from me. They like the upbeat protestant music and the way this Church does Mass. But one thing that gives me hope is they were disappointed in how the Easter Vigil Mass was done so I think they finally understand a little bit of how I feel.

My mother made a comment about how she can't believe they left the Blessed Sacrament in the tabernacle since last night. Usually that would be the kind of thing that would bother me and not her. But it's obvious it did bother her.

The one thing that fills me with joy is that next year if God wills it and hopefully for the remainder of my life I will be celebrating Easter Vigil in the monastery where if their normal Masses are any indication I am going to love their Holy Week and Easter Masses.

Also, there was no baptisims or Confirmations at Mass tonight but the Cathedral had a lot of them from what I understand. I guess this proves once again that the more "modern" or "liberal" a parish is the less people it has but the more traditional a Church is the more people they have. Also, the cathedral doesn't use altar girls and the altar boys wear the traditional cassocks and surplices.

DedicatedLittleFaith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2006
Quebec,Canada
Visit site
✟28,906.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am sorry your experience was not so good.

Ours was absolutly lovely. Only trouble I had was keeping up with the priest in the procession. He was to come towards the altar slowly, stopping three times to chant "The Light of Christ". At the organ, I was to give him his two first notes when he stopped,,, only he kept doing it in advance:doh:
Good thing I have a good musical hearing. ;)

Mine was extra special today for two reasons: It was my first in the past five years, and my priest officially received me back into the Full Communion of the Church. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

français

Atheist/CA-Bloc Québécois/US-Democrat
Oct 2, 2006
Montréal, Québec
✟21,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Bloc
sorry you didn't like yours!!

i loved mass today. they turned off all of the lights, and then we lit the candles for the first time, and it was just really nice. and typically on easter, even though we turn off the lights, it's still pretty light in the church, because there's so many windows. but today it was really dark, so it was really nice.

then we did the second candle lighting, and they didn't turn off the lights for that one. but it was still nice.

hmm.. two homilies.. my church didn't do two homilies! we read out of exodus, we read something from Paul to the Romans, and the Father gave the homily on Romans, but we idn't have tow homilies! :( which is sad lol, because i love the homily lol.

now i live in texas.. it's usually very warm in april. but today it was freeeezing cold!! it didn't get out of the 30's, and it snowed! so after church, when i exited the church, it was just snowing, and there was snow EVERYWHERE and it was just soooo nice!! like it reminded me more of christmas lol, because it doesn't typically snow in texas in april!! lol

so yeah, i loved the easter mass. although there was some kid next to me who was using his candle as a drum stick.. which really began to upset me (i'm not a kid person) and then his father was jingling the change in his pocket, which made me not able to concentrate. so that made me extremely mad. but all i had to do is give them a look and the kid stopped, and the dad! loll

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
So, before Mass starts the priest goes up and explains everything that is going to happen. Then he explains he isn't going to read the Easter Vigil Gospel reading but rather the Easter Sunday Morning Gospel reading because he has to do both homilies and he wasn't going to do 2 homiles.

I would have walked out hollering.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My last parish was standing room only at the Easter Vigil... you got there two hours early. The one I am at now was only about 80% capacity and they have more students at their school then my last parish.

They did everything right but there are a few things that made it a little less joyful for me. First it made me mad when the Priest referred to the sponsers as God Parents. Untrue. God Parents agree to raise children in the faith if anything happens to the natural parents. Also, God parents loan their faith to the infants/ these were adults, not babys !

Second, some young lady got up to light the candles on the altar. Okay, it is bad enough when you dress like a prostitute when going to Church, but when you go before the entire community to light the candles. Bear shoulders and arms in a dress that is mid-thigh ? Honey, get a tan.

Third, the deacon read the Gospel, We have two priests presiding, what is up with that ?

Upvote 0

foxsta

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti Amen
Site Supporter
Jun 15, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟47,395.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Mine was the best mass ever and I'm sorry you had a not-so-pleasant experience. I would love to see it next year from a spectators view since I was in the procession since I was to be received into the Church. I'm sure it will be lovely! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,385.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
One thing that makes the Easter Vigil special is that the Catholics who attend know that they are in for the duration, and that the Mass will be at least twice as long as a regular Mass.

Only the most serious Catholics attend.

I think that it's the different group dynamic (rather than the fact that there are 5 readings, and candlelight processions, and baptisms) that really makes this Mass different.

Upvote 0

Pogue

left CF, please see profile for further details
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2006
http://www.thesonscafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15
✟59,840.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
One thing that makes the Easter Vigil special is that the Catholics who attend know that they are in for the duration, and that the Mass will be at least twice as long as a regular Mass.

Only the most serious Catholics attend.

I think that it's the different group dynamic (rather than the fact that there are 5 readings, and candlelight processions, and baptisms) that really makes this Mass different.

I think you're right- the church was only about half full, but it fet peaceful, somehow.
On a sidenote- did you just have 5 readings? We had 7...can anyone explain why this is? Is it variable?

Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

CrystalBrooke

I'm almost positive I don't care what you think
Jun 16, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟19,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry to hear that. Ours was pretty good, Emily was baptised and one Baptist converted:) It was way past Emily's bed time so I really didn't get to pay attention to the readings because I was trying to keep her quiet..by the end of the service she was screaming so I finally took her out. Overall it was an ok experience, would have been better had Emily not been so sleepy and loud.

Upvote 0

BillH

Be not afraid!
Apr 3, 2005
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
✟27,958.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Congratulations to everyone who was baptised and/or received into full communion with the Church this Easter! :)

I pulled double duty this Easter as a lector at both our Vigil mass (which turned out quite nice) and at the noon mass today. I'm just glad that I managed to talk my way out of having to do the 10:00 AM mass. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PetertheRock

Mar 25, 2005
Falmouth Maine
✟4,316.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My last parish was standing room only at the Easter Vigil... you got there two hours early. The one I am at now was only about 80% capacity and they have more students at their school then my last parish.

They did everything right but there are a few things that made it a little less joyful for me. First it made me mad when the Priest referred to the sponsers as God Parents. Untrue. God Parents agree to raise children in the faith if anything happens to the natural parents. Also, God parents loan their faith to the infants/ these were adults, not babys !

Second, some young lady got up to light the candles on the altar. Okay, it is bad enough when you dress like a prostitute when going to Church, but when you go before the entire community to light the candles. Bear shoulders and arms in a dress that is mid-thigh ? Honey, get a tan.

Third, the deacon read the Gospel, We have two priests presiding, what is up with that ?
I can see your first two points but even the Pope had a deacon read the Gospel at his Mass so that is no big deal.

Upvote 0

PetertheRock

Mar 25, 2005
Falmouth Maine
✟4,316.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Just curious, for a single guy who is planning on entering a monastery, why do you want to hear homilies about abortion and birth control, which don't apply to you?
My desire is to hear the priests preach about topics that are important to all Catholics. It seems as the Church doesn't even believe that people go to Hell anymore. When was the last time you have heard a homily about sin, Hell, judgement, or moral issues?

Upvote 0

BillH

Be not afraid!
Apr 3, 2005
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
✟27,958.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I can see your first two points but even the Pope had a deacon read the Gospel at his Mass so that is no big deal.

Actually, I could be mistaken about this, but I think that if a deacon is present, he is actually supposed to read the Gospel. At least my missal assumes that, if a deacon is present, that he will be reading.

Upvote 0

Look Homeward Anglican

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
United States
✟10,751.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
My desire is to hear the priests preach about topics that are important to all Catholics. It seems as the Church doesn't even believe that people go to Hell anymore. When was the last time you have heard a homily about sin, Hell, judgement, or moral issues?
Our priest addresses these topics frequently. They are the true teachings of the Church. The Church and what she believes is not the trouble here; rather it is liberal-minded free thinkers derailing the caboose at every opportunity, corrupting the faith and teaching false doctrine to the Lord's sheep. Scripture is very clear on what awaits those who mislead the sheep.

Upvote 0

Dream

Aug 7, 2003
✟6,389.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

I hear homilies about sin, Hell, judgment, and moral issues all the time, including abortion.

A homily is supposed to be a reflection on the Gospel, not a cry from a political rally. I still don't understand why you personally are wanting to hear a homily on abortion. You don't struggle with this sin. Are you wanting to hear a homily that challenges you to live a better Christian life, or are you looking for a glossy affirmation that you do not commit terrible sins? Or perhaps you are merely more concerned with the sin of others than you are of your own sin?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.