AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is not going to be some long winded word game. It is easy.

1) God's Word is True, incontrovertibly true.
2) Scripture is God's Word.
3) Scripture is incontrovertibly true.

4) Prove another source of incontrovertible truth.
5) No other physical source of incontrovertible truth on earth has been proven.

By default, there is only Sola Scriptura.

Yes, there have been multiple threads on SS. The problem is that all the attacks on SS put the burden to prove there are no other source of incontrovertible truth on the holders to SS. How ridiculous is that? The burden is on those that believe in another source of incontrovertible truth. Despite being asked multiple times in other threads, no proof has been given for incontrovertible truth in any other earthly source.

So if you think anything but SS, I challenge you to prove to me another source of incontrovertible truth.

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
1) is true
2) is false. Jesus Christ is called the Word of God. John 1:1
2) Scripture is the written word of God, NOT the Word of God.
therefore 3) is false by this logic.

It is not ridiculous, because by claiming everything needs to be in the Bible, the concept of SS also, therefore, needs to be in the Bible.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1) is true

Your "correction" is not even correct. Let me quote John 1:1 for you to read exactly that Jesus is called the Word, not the word of God or even God's Word as I used.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

You dismiss my post over the capitalization of Word. Don't be so daft with my simple statements.
For the legalist: Point 2 does not state that Scripture is the Word/Jesus.
Point 2 is Scripture is God's word, recorded.
There no capitalization.

Try again. And, while your at, how about proving your other source of truth.
Do you really not believe 3) Scripture is incontrovertibly true?

Upvote 0

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Your "correction" is not even correct. Let me quote John 1:1 for you to read exactly that Jesus is called the Word, not the word of God or even God's Word as I used.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

You dismiss my post over the capitalization of Word. Don't be so daft with my simple statements.
For the legalist: Point 2 does not state that Scripture is the Word/Jesus.
Point 2 is Scripture is God's word, recorded.
There no capitalization.

Try again. And, while your at, how about proving your other source of truth.
Do you really not believe 3) Scripture is incontrovertibly true?

Sorry, I forgot to add the rest because I was typing rather quickly. I meant to type John 1:14.

I am not being daft. The capitalization of a word signifies importance. You said Scripture is God's Word, which is incorrect. Scripture is God's word is correct.

Holy Tradition, and the Church that was established by Jesus Christ that has kept His teachings and traditions.

I never stated otherwise to number 3) I just simply said BY THAT LOGIC, that in an incorrect statement. However, Scripture is not that highest nor sole authority we have on earth.
Already pointed it out in my thread if you care to read it.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
This is not going to be some long winded word game. It is easy.

1) God's Word is True, incontrovertibly true.
2) Scripture is God's Word.
3) Scripture is incontrovertibly true.

4) Prove another source of incontrovertible truth.
5) No other physical source of incontrovertible truth on earth has been proven.

By default, there is only Sola Scriptura.

Yes, there have been multiple threads on SS. The problem is that all the attacks on SS put the burden to prove there are no other source of incontrovertible truth on the holders to SS. How ridiculous is that? The burden is on those that believe in another source of incontrovertible truth. Despite being asked multiple times in other threads, no proof has been given for incontrovertible truth in any other earthly source.

So if you think anything but SS, I challenge you to prove to me another source of incontrovertible truth.

So what is truth?

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1) is true

It is not ridiculous, because by claiming everything needs to be in the Bible, the concept of SS also, therefore, needs to be in the Bible.
It is there. It's demonstration by Paul to the Thessalonians is well known among those who read scripture.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, I forgot to add the rest because I was typing rather quickly. I meant to type John 1:14.

I am not being daft. The capitalization of a word signifies importance. You said Scripture is God's Word, which is incorrect. Scripture is God's word is correct.

Holy Tradition, and the Church that was established by Jesus Christ that has kept His teachings and traditions.

I never stated otherwise to number 3) I just simply said BY THAT LOGIC, that in an incorrect statement. However, Scripture is not that highest nor sole authority we have on earth.
Sola scripture does not place scripture as the highest authority.
It places scripture as the measure of authority.
It is a calibration tool, not an interpretation tool.

Reactions: Mrs.PGL
Upvote 0

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Sola scripture does not place scripture as the highest authority.
It places scripture as the measure of authority.
It is a calibration tool, not an interpretation tool.

Sorry, that is NOT the definition of SS that I know of. SS is a Christian theological doctrine which holds that the Christian Scriptures are the supreme authority in all matters of doctrine and practice.

That is the definition of SS. Yours does not match.

• Agree
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
These are premises; there's nothing incontrovertible about any of them. It's a matter of opinion that Scripture is God's word, an opinion that, with His grace, I agree with. Likewise it's a matter of opinion by some that God can and has spoken through other means as well.

Upvote 0

Geralt

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2016
GB
Visit site
✟67,802.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
- tradition and church system is man-made and man-manage regardless of how it claims to be founded by christ.
- scripture is God's written revelation of Himself to humanity
- suggesting the man-made and man-manage is subordinate or equal in authority to God's written revelation is totally ludicrous.
- even christ only has negative tones about tradition in the gospels, however many of his arguments are 'it is written..'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
- tradition and church system is man-made and man-manage regardless of how it claims to be founded by christ.
- scripture is God's written revelation of Himself to humanity
- suggesting the man-made and man-manage is subordinate or equal in authority to God's written revelation is totally ludicrous.
- even christ only has negative tones about tradition in the gospels, however many of his arguments are 'it is written..'

I ask you, who told you that scripture was the written word of God?
Jesus certainly did establish a Church, and made Peter the head of that Church here on earth.
He is talking of the traditions of the Pharasee, and more so calling them out on teaching but not following what they teach. It is written is in reference to the OT, that Jesus was fulfilling the OT.

• Winner
Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These are premises; there's nothing incontrovertible about any of them. It's a matter of opinion that Scripture is God's word, an opinion that, with His grace, I agree with. Likewise it's a matter of opinion by some that God can and has spoken through other means as well.
What a pointless post, you might as well say it is opinion that Jesus is the one true God.
And, it is opinion when your Pope says there are other ways to find God.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What a pointless post, you might as well say it is opinion that Jesus is the one true God.

Actually that last statement is correct, depending on when and why the Pope made this statement. I find it funny how you think that is some sort of slam Anticipate, why the hatred for Catholics?

• Agree
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There's only one way to find God-and the church's role is to point us to that Way. And it is certainly not incontrovertible that Jesus is the one true God. That truth has been intensely hammered out by the church, with early objections to it supported by scripture as modern day Arians still do to this day. The point is that you cannot prove anything on your list, to, say, a humanist, to support your claim of them being incontrovertible.

Upvote 0

Geralt

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2016
GB
Visit site
✟67,802.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
- scripture is the written revelation of God. Christ acknowledge its superiority, and so we must.

- 'traditions of the pharisees', sure it was - in Jesus time. but the means and methods of the many today are pharasical as well -> they follow the same approach- adding stuff beyond what was written and claiming it is sanctioned by God as well. same modus operandi.

I ask you, who told you that scripture was the written word of God?
Jesus certainly did establish a Church, and made Peter the head of that Church here on earth.
He is talking of the traditions of the Pharasee, and more so calling them out on teaching but not following what they teach. It is written is in reference to the OT, that Jesus was fulfilling the OT.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
- scripture is the written revelation of God. Christ acknowledge its superiority, and so we must.

- 'traditions of the pharisees', sure it was - in Jesus time. but the means and methods of the many today are pharasical as well -> they follow the same approach.

Christ acknowledged the OT at the written word of God. The NT was not around yet. So I will ask again, who told you that scripture (including the NT) is the word of God?

How do they follow the same approach? Please give me an example.

Upvote 0

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
uhhhhhh.......the Holy Spirit?:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

So the Holy Spirit told YOU specifically that the Bible is the written word of God? Ok, thats fair, then let me ask you this, exactly where did the Bible come from? When was it first introduced to the world?

• Agree
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
So the Holy Spirit told YOU specifically that the Bible is the written word of God? Ok, thats fair, then let me ask you this, exactly where did the Bible come from? When was it first introduced to the world?
While there are varying dates given for each book, generally it is agreed that all books were written prior to 100AD.....

Upvote 0