Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Maybe it's easier to understand as a Christian.

I am a Christian, and I don't agree. If it is all up to God, then we should just close the prisons and get rid of the criminal court system then. Let God make the judgment since we have no right to judge I see Christians saying this when they want to let someone off the hook but don't hesitate to judge when it is someone else. If it was a liberal family that this had happened in, we wouldn't be hearing all the excuses for the offender that we are seeing from Christians all over the media.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Update on boycott: Hulu has taken all on demand episodes of 19 Kids & Counting. Still waiting on iTunes and Amazon on-demand to boycott.

** Update - New Success with All State Insurance, Crayola, and Pizza Hut joining the boycott of advertiser's

If you have an extra 5 minutes, send a quick tweet or add a FB comment to their company page asking advertiser's to boycott. See list on post #118

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe it's easier to understand as a Christian.

This sort of condescending, "you're not a Christian, so you wouldn't understand" attitude is one of the reasons I left Christianity. Child molestation should be abhorrent, full stop. That should be a thing that is generally, and universally, understood. It's a mentality that should cross all social, financial, religious, racial, and political lines.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
This sort of condescending, "you're not a Christian, so you wouldn't understand" attitude is one of the reasons I left Christianity. Child molestation should be abhorrent, full stop. That should be a thing that is generally, and universally, understood. It's a mentality that should cross all social, financial, religious, racial, and political lines.

QFT. I think it's truly sickening and so incredibly pathetic to hear all the Christians coming to the defense of Josh Duggar and his parents. It's deplorable to hear them make all these feeble lousy excuses for his perverted sexual deviance against all those poor little girls. It's miserably appalling to me and I think they ought to be ashamed of themselves. Josh Duggar is a repeated child molester and a sexual predator of young girls. For the sake of his own precious children, I hope they are removed from his home, where they will be safe from him possibly preying upon them too. And as for his apathetic parents, I see them nothing more than as incompetent, self-righteous, lying hypocrites, who shouldn't be allowed to keep any of their precious children either. I absolutely refuse to make any excuses for a child molester and sexual predator, even if they are Christian. And I certainly won't make excuses for anyone else who tries to cover up or attempts to justify such sexually deviant behavior as child molestation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟172,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2015/05/what-did-josh-duggars-counseling-look-like.html

I'm stuck on number six, here. 'If abused is not at fault…' If? IF????

1) The Duggars are not immune from the consequences of their actions. 2) The actions in question are serious. 3) I'm not a fan of reality shows anyway and think that one less is a good thing. 4) This may be judgmental, but I've always thought there was something seriously off about that family from the get go. I recall watching one episode early on, where they had their normal cousin on, and she was the only normal one, but they treated her like they just wanted to convert her to their quiver full, skirt wearing cult. It was messed up.

Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Agreed. One earmark of having a good understanding of something is being able to explain it to someone else.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So in other words, Dad ignored it and allowed it to go on for two years? Why is CPS not a part of this family's life?
Who said CPS wasn't involved. When it was turned in 2006, the CPS should have been called, since abuse of a child was involved. It doesn't matter if Statues of Limitations were up.

Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How many of us could raise 19 children and only have one failure in the family?

By Cow451
Is a sex offense the only definition of failure? This family is a cult. In that respect one could argue it is one big failure.

Some posters have called the Duggers a cult. I looked up the definition of a cult and below are the basis for a cult.

In the sociological classifications of religious movements, a cult is a religious or social group with socially deviant or novel beliefs and practices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult

How do the parents, Mr. and Mrs. Dugger, fit the description of cult and specifically with the definition of SOCIALLY DEVIANT?

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

No, actually it was three different sisters who told on him over a period of two years.
I read he told his dad. I guess some people are making stories up.

Upvote 0

genifer

May 29, 2006
✟16,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im late in joining the thread but wanted to share my thoughts somewhere. Im an american Christian who has lived in the UK for 16 years. Im saying that because when I became a christian, roughly 17 years ago, as a young adult, I found there were a lot of things within Christendom to 'wade' thru. Knowing Christ was one thing, understanding christianity was something else altogether. I remember coming across a lot of things the Duggars believe. I dont know if this has been mentioned earlier on in the thread but they are involved with a huge religious organisation that does closely resemble a cult. I say 'resemble' almost sarcastically, but I say it because on the outside it looks like a group of people who love God and want to honour him in every area of their lives. This is something all genuine believers in Christ want, I believe. The organisation looks legit from the outside... like way outside. Now, being outside the US for so long, in fact my entire adult life, I only recently caught wind of the Duggars on tv. They looked like a really nice christian family, even borderline amazing in how they have 19 kids and how happy everyone seems. This is coming from someone who wasnt aware of their political affairs or anything. With that said, having watched a few episodes, I did get a 'creepy', 'wierd' vibe. I noticed something was amiss. Body language, and the way things seemed so contrived. I heard of the name Gothard within the last few weeks and did a little digging, all just before news of Joshua Duggars crimes make the headlines, just within a few weeks, tho. Bill Gothard was the man who started up the organisation that teaches everything the Duggars, the Bates, and a lot of those within this 'movement' stands for. Bill Gothard recently stood down from his position as head of the organisation he started because 30+ women came forward claiming he behaved inappropriately towards them. Whether there was actual sexual assault or not, is not made known, the news stories just mention sexual 'harrassment'.

My point is that, in my opinion, the Duggars are indeed invovled in a cult. A HUGE and very profitable organisation that teaches some crazy junk... doctrine that I believe many christians, even nondeviant, genuine believers (as in not actually involved in cult activities) in Jesus Christ will possibly agree with. I think christians are in a time when they need to really take a step back and question everything. What doctrine have we picked up along the way that doesnt hold itself up to the standard Christ laid out for us? We've made a HUGE mess. I think we are standing up for things that Christ never intended for us to stand up for. Or against. When Jesus said 'Take the plank out of your own eye before you attempt to remove the speck of dust out of your brother's eye' (Im paraphrasing obviously), I dont believe he was saying that the behaviour of 'your brother' was not 'sin'. He was saying that in order to understand, even have a basic understanding about how to help someone else understand what sin is or how to deal with sin in their lives, you must deal with yourself. You must really really understand and take time to examine yourself, your attitudes, hang ups, heresies, misunderstandings, everything about how you deal with other human beings who were also created in God's image.

I think we've screwed up so bad. I think that if you are a genuine follower of Jesus Christ, no matter what 'denomination' its probably a good time to take a step back and really examine ourselves and what we've been taught. For me its time to do a lot of research. I will remain a Christ follower, but I will have nothing to do with the way of thinking that comes from modern false doctrine. What happened to those girls is abhorrant. Not just the abuse, but the brainwashing that lead to the abuse and its cover up, the excuses, and its happening all over christendom. I hate it and want nothing to do with it, I dont want to be associated with it, not just the actions of one family, but the entire way of thinking. This goes far deeper than the actions of a family on tv. This is huge. I hope its a huge wake up call for christians, seriously. Maybe its just huge for me and christendom will (most likely) carry on the way it has been with hate speach and politicising every single thing everyone else does. However, I challenge every single christian reading this to take a step back and re evaluate everything. Im going back to reading about Christ and his actual teachings about God's love, what sin really is and what God did to bring about the remedy for it. I think if we take a step back, many of us will recognise that those with the loudest voices in christianity, the ones running for political office, making huge issues over things Christ didnt make issues out of, they resemble closely the people who actually crucified Christ in the first place and hopefully realise that its not a good thing to sound or look like them. Id rather look like Jesus Christ any day. I hope there are lots more christians who speak up and are willing to say the same thing.

As far as the Duggars are concerned... I would be very happy if there were an indepth investigation, just to see if there are any crimes to be discovered. I dont even need to know about it, I just want it to be stopped or prevented. If Jim Bob and Michelle have committed any crimes it would be a good thing if it were dealt with legally.

I had to find somewhere to say my peace about this issue. Its been a long time since I posted on CF and I just wanted to vent my opinion somewhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As far as the Duggars are concerned... I would be very happy if there were an indepth investigation, just to see if there are any crimes to be discovered. I dont even need to know about it, I just want it to be stopped or prevented. If Jim Bob and Michelle have committed any crimes it would be a good thing if it were dealt with legally.
To late, I believe the Statue of Limitations are up.

Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Love my wife, 2 sons and Daughter. God is great!!
Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Update on boycott: Hulu has taken all on demand episodes of 19 Kids & Counting. Still waiting on iTunes and Amazon on-demand to boycott.

** Update - New Success with All State Insurance, Crayola, and Pizza Hut joining the boycott of advertiser's

If you have an extra 5 minutes, send a quick tweet or add a FB comment to their company page asking advertiser's to boycott. See list on post #118

Boycott what, something that happened 12 years ago and a child touched another child? Josh was 14 at the time and has owned up to what he did. He confessed, got help, and even talked to an officer who showed him what would happen if he continued down that path. What he did was wrong and he has owned up to it. It has been 12 years!! Since then there is no evidence he has done anything.

Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
QFT. I think it's truly sickening and so incredibly pathetic to hear all the Christians coming to the defense of Josh Duggar and his parents. It's deplorable to hear them make all these feeble lousy excuses for his perverted sexual deviance against all those poor little girls. It's miserably appalling to me and I think they ought to be ashamed of themselves. Josh Duggar is a repeated child molester and a sexual predator of young girls. For the sake of his own precious children, I hope they are removed from his home, where they will be safe from him possibly preying upon them too. And as for his apathetic parents, I see them nothing more than as incompetent, self-righteous, lying hypocrites, who shouldn't be allowed to keep any of their precious children either. I absolutely refuse to make any excuses for a child molester and sexual predator, even if they are Christian. And I certainly won't make excuses for anyone else who tries to cover up or attempts to justify such sexually deviant behavior as child molestation.

Here are a few facts that many people on here over look:

1. This happened 12 years ago, when Josh was 14 (he is now 27).

2. Being a minor means that ones judgment is not mature. So even tho what Josh did was wrong, he is not a pedophile nor should this destroy his whole adult life.

3. He confessed and owned up to what he did. Josh got help, helped build a house as part of his treatment (sex offenders are also told to keep busy and focused on the right things in life), and he talked to a police officer who showed him what would happen if he continued down that path.

4. He admitted to his wife before they got engaged and confessed his past sins to her family before they marred.

5. Part of being a Christian is forgiving one another as Christ has forgiven us. Thank God that he has more forgiveness then some people on here seems to have. People in the media are lining up to cast their stones at a sin that happened over a decade ago. If Josh seriously confesses and repents his sins are white as snow. As Josh has not repeated this act for 12 years and has repented to God and his Church. I will also forgive him and continue to pray for his family. God's beautiful grace is much bigger then our darkest sins.

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." John 1:9

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
5. Part of being a Christian is forgiving one another as Christ has forgiven us. Thank God that he has more forgiveness then some people on here seems to have. People in the media are lining up to cast their stones at a sin that happened over a decade ago. If Josh seriously confesses and repents his sins are white as snow. As Josh has not repeated this act for 12 years and has repented to God and his Church. I will also forgive him and continue to pray for his family. God's beautiful grace is much bigger then our darkest sins.

Part of being a Christian is to know that consequences do not go away, and that is despite the grace God has handed him. I realize that many feel he was handed those years ago, yet even Paul in the bible dealt with his reputation of the past all his life.

It's the media's job to present this circumstance, and we also need to brace ourselves for more possible news coming out. So, we aren't sure yet if this was a one circumstance...or a pattern in his life. I hope it was a one time, but humans tend to surprise us at times.

Sadly, I feel part of this story is how the particular movement that the Duggar's followed could be a huge chuck as to what has happened in this family....and how they handled it. Many of Gothard's teachings give you a sense that he was a very superstitious man. There is a lot of scare tactics in those teachings, and the urging of quick forgiveness...even before contrite behavior has surfaced.

They way they approach sexuality? I'm sure Josh isn't the only one.

Have they - as a movement and family - faced that yet? Not sure. It's a big contributor, and unless they can humble themselves to look deeper into that? This type of behavior will continue, and their brand of handling it will continue to harm. No one wants to really talk about that aspect of this movement, but its been out there for YEARS!

It will also be telling the next time something huge like this comes across the news waves to a non Christian - and when they show contrite behavior - if 'Christians' will run to their defense like they have the Duggars. Most of the time in the past - you don't see that happening. Yet, the way many are approaching this...it will be interesting if we see consistency in the approach. Christian Charity shouldn't be only going in one direction.

Sadly, I get the feeling this is only the tip of iceberg in this story. I hope I'm wrong.

Upvote 0

genifer

May 29, 2006
✟16,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To late, I believe the Statue of Limitations are up.

I do know that, but with a history of covering things up, I still think there should be an investigation to be certain there hasnt been anything else covered up. That JimBob hasnt touched his children, the children should all be interviewed by child protection services. This blows the lid on a subculture that has a history of this sort of wrong doing. I know that if this happened in the UK there would have been a full on 'inquiry' (as they call it here) and victims would be encouraged, then, to come forward. How many more victims of sex abuse are there in these cults. For the most part, I believe there are so many well meaning christians who adhere to teachings similar to those of this cult (and others) and they would be shocked to see the truth come out.

2. Being a minor means that ones judgment is not mature. So even tho what Josh did was wrong, he is not a pedophile nor should this destroy his whole adult life.

3. He confessed and owned up to what he did. Josh got help, helped build a house as part of his treatment (sex offenders are also told to keep busy and focused on the right things in life), and he talked to a police officer who showed him what would happen if he continued down that path.

4. He admitted to his wife before they got engaged and confessed his past sins to her family before they marred.

This sin may be forgiven if Josh genuinely repented, I am honestly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. As a child he was done a disservice by the adults involved, particularly his father, the entire way of thinking regarding this group of people is worse than backwards on issues regarding sexual abuse. The teaching/instruction regarding this sort of issue is to blame the victim for being immodest, the parents for allowing it to happen, it would appear that there is a silent culture where sexual deviency is rife and unchecked because they band together and protect the perpetrator of the crimes.

Also Followers4Christ, the really heart breaking thing, apart from the pain inflicted on the victims of the crimes involved here, is the fact that these particular Christians had a HUGE platform from which they condemned eveyone else's sins in such a way as to drive them away from Christ. That is what breaks my heart about this. I know Christ didnt conduct himself in this manner and I know that this isnt the reason he went to the cross. I believe Christians like the Duggars who have such a massive platform and opportunity to shine for Christ have a multitude of other ways to do so that looks vastly different from the manner in which they did. For what its worth, I consider them fellow believers, brothers and sisters in Christ, however, it is within my duty and my responsibility to point out that they have behaved unacceptably, it is my responsibilty to voice my concerns over the state of affairs and to point out that even tho they are brothers and sisters of mine in Christ, I do not share in the manner in which they demonstrate their faith for the entire world to see. I am far from perfect, I sin, regrettably every single day and I am thankful for the grace of God, but for that very reason I would never point out the sins of nonbelievers loudly the way they have. Some christians can have a very bad habit of making a lot of noise about things they do not understand, specifically speaking about issues regarding transgender and sexuality. The approach to issues that are hot topics in modern christianity need to be addressed with compassion and the Love of Christ. Not with fear and distrust and hatred. I think this particular news piece has highlighted this. I dont think its going to happen tho.

Im just rereading some of the things you wrote Followers4Christ and Im not picking on you but if you look at the details in depth you can clearly see that Jim Bob Duggar went to a police officer who is now serving time for Child inappropriate contentography. It is within the realm of possibility that Mr Duggar knew of this particular police officer's leanings and went to him to find a way to keep this hidden, not to have his son dealt with. At first I thought 'Well atleast his dad 'did something about it''. If you look deeper and peel back the layers you see an entire system that makes excuses and covers up for the perps of these crimes and requires that victims forgive and asks them to question whether there was something they could have done differently to have prevented the crime. Josh Duggar was a child when he did these things, and I believe its possible for him to have been reformed, or transformed (for non believers Im speaking Christian-ese here, believers will know what I mean). Its possible that Josh Duggar was a victim himself. I believe the victims here are women and children who are taught not to think outside of the material taught by the IBLP/Gothard organisation. So sad, so scary. They've been severely indoctrinated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Boycott what, something that happened 12 years ago and a child touched another child? Josh was 14 at the time and has owned up to what he did. He confessed, got help, and even talked to an officer who showed him what would happen if he continued down that path. What he did was wrong and he has owned up to it. It has been 12 years!! Since then there is no evidence he has done anything.

The boycott is to get 19 Kids and Counting taken off the air. The only thing up until now that TLC has done is stop airing episodes, which many do not feel is good enough.

Advertiser's are indirectly linked many times with a program when they advertise or run commercials. If the advertiser's pull out, then there is much less of a financial reason for TLC to keep 19K & Counting on the air.

As far as your last comment, I think it is rather pre-matrure at this point to talk about what has or hasn't happened in the last 12 years, however the problem with this show continuing is more about the victims, than about the perpetrator.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All the attention is being given to Josh and making excuses for him while the victims will struggle with this for their entire lives. I know of a family that has a precious daughter that has drawn away from the family because she refuses to tell her husband of 40 years that she was molested. She stays away from the family in fear of someone letting it slip. They will never be free of this.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." John 1:9

What do you think of the fact that his youngest victim (his sister) was only 4 years old when she was assaulted?

If it was curiousity why after he had assaulted four other victims (three other sisters, included) would he then sexually assault a 4 year old? That's a little more than sick.

Maybe you should read what experts in child abuse/molestation are saying about the fact that such a young victim was chosen, even though he had been assaulting other sisters much closer to his age.

What type of person would be sexually attracted to a 4 year old?

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
That is true, and we certainly (and thankfully) live in a system of 'innocent until proven guilty'. 12 years is a long time, and since all the evidence points that Josh is a changed man, I don't think he should have to pay for it any longer.

What is of *far* greater concern from my perspective is the cover up. His family, the police, the organisation... they all covered up this crime. And that is inexcusable.

Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What do you think of the fact that his youngest victim (his sister) was only 4 years old when she was assaulted?

If it was curiousity why after he had assaulted four other victims (three other sisters, included) would he then sexually assault a 4 year old? That's a little more than sick.

Maybe you should read what experts in child abuse/molestation are saying about the fact that such a young victim was chosen, even though he had been assaulting other sisters much closer to his age.

What type of person would be sexually attracted to a 4 year old?

The youngest was 5 and I come from a family of psychologist and psychology was a subject I studied in college. Any way sibling abuse of all ages is actually pretty common sadly. It can be caused by many different factors including living environment. The fact is Josh was not mature and sought after the weakest members of his family and someone who wouldn't tell on him. This is common and if confronted early it does not have to be a repeated pattern. It's been over a decade so far and no new victims. This is probably because he stopped this destructive behavior as the other facts seem to suggest.

Upvote 0