Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By SDMSANJOSE

1. I do not know much about the Duggers except that I just read a little on Wikipedia. They seem to be a very conservative Christian family that seems to present a very high moral standard. Josh’s sex issue is sure to disgust many. The loss of Josh’s job and cancellation of the Duggers on their reality show will surly reduces their income.

I am not real surprised that this far right ultra-moral family has a sex skeleton in the closet. Trying to live the ultra-moral life is commendable but with 21 in the family it is no big surprise that one has violated the sex positions of the very conservative Christian.

Other than the failure of Josh at age 14 there seems to not be any other reason to punish the Dugger family. Josh has given up his job and lost an income sourse, the Dugger family has lost the reality show, the Dugger parents and family have to suffer the fact that their daugters are victims of molestation from their own family, and now the public humiliation. QUESTIONS 1 and 2

1 What good does it to berate them more?

2. Do they deserve more punishments?

Although I am no fan of ultra conservative Christian Republicans, I do admire the Dugger parents for raising so many children and taking in the father’s mother into the household. As far as I know there are no other moral failures in that family and that is to be commended.
Question 3

3. How many of us could raise 19 children and only have one failure in the family?

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Well the daughters will presumably never have recourse, that sort of conservative community sees victims of sexual crimes (or even consensual sex) as damaged goods.

As far as what more punishments? Some sort of legal action against the mother for the cover-up would make me a bit happier about this awful situation.

The double-standard of this is incredible; the same lady who sent out a robocall to the whole state of Arkansas about how evil trans- people were and how homosexuals are more inclined to be molesters was the one harboring a pedophile the whole time. And just think, if this had happened to a family with less power that wasn't wearing the "good Christian" label, people would expect them to be destroyed completely overnight.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟321,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1 What good does it to berate them more?
They choose that when they decided to pretend they were perfect family and complain about the LGBT community. The media will continue to berate them because of what I said above, ratings and the US is stunned.

2. Do they deserve more punishments?
I'm not sure Josh received much of a punishment at all. I just hope he doesn't re offend. But I think it's sad, that they allowed Josh to move back home, while girls had to look at the person that violated them, just deal with it. This is sadly common. I think it's sad that the victims have to deal with all this now. As for the they part, they pretend they are the perfect family, so of course they get some punishment from the media.
3. How many of us could raise 19 children and only have one failure in the family?
That we know of.

Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Love my wife, 2 sons and Daughter. God is great!!
Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well the daughters will presumably never have recourse, that sort of conservative community sees victims of sexual crimes (or even consensual sex) as damaged goods.

As far as what more punishments? Some sort of legal action against the mother for the cover-up would make me a bit happier about this awful situation.

The double-standard of this is incredible; the same lady who sent out a robocall to the whole state of Arkansas about how evil trans- people were and how homosexuals are more inclined to be molesters was the one harboring a pedophile the whole time. And just think, if this had happened to a family with less power that wasn't wearing the "good Christian" label, people would expect them to be destroyed completely overnight.

As I said in the last thread, Please people grow up. this happened 12 years ago when he was also a child. This does not excuse what happened. But Josh Dugger is not a pedophile since he was also underage. Being a minor means that one's judgement is not mature and that you are more Likely to do stupid things. Not to mention that he owned up to his crime and his family got him some help and even talked to a police officer who showed him what would happen if he continued down that path. He also admitted to his wife before they got engaged and has not lied about this. This incident happened 12 years ago. He is 27 now and was about 14 then. His family and the victims have forgiven him. Instead of condemning him for something that happened long in the past, forgive him as Christ forgave you. He is now right with God and is trying to serve him and his family. Anyway I hope people grow up and the show continues to show Christian values. We as Christians all make mistakes and the people that are close to us often hurt us. But as the Dugger family does forgive as Christ forgives, and love as Christ loves. Shouldn't we do the same?? Take the log out of your own eyes and let's support each other in our christian walk. God bless the Dugger family and everyone who continues to try to do what's right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From the Duggar family:

From Jim Bob and Michelle:

Back 12 years ago our family went through one of the most difficult times of our lives. When Josh was a young teenager, he made some very bad mistakes and we were shocked. We had tried to teach him right from wrong. That dark and difficult time caused us to seek God like never before. Even though we would never choose to go through something so terrible, each one of our family members drew closer to God. We pray that as people watch our lives they see that we are not a perfect family. We have challenges and struggles everyday. It is one of the reasons we treasure our faith so much because God’s kindness and goodness and forgiveness are extended to us — even though we are so undeserving. We hope somehow the story of our journey — the good times and the difficult times — cause you to see the kindness of God and learn that He can bring you through anything.

From Josh:

Twelve years ago, as a young teenager I acted inexcusably for which I am extremely sorry and deeply regret. I hurt others, including my family and close friends. I confessed this to my parents who took several steps to help me address the situation. We spoke with the authorities where I confessed my wrongdoing and my parents arranged for me and those affected by my actions to receive counseling. I understood that if I continued down this wrong road that I would end up ruining my life. I sought forgiveness from those I had wronged and asked Christ to forgive me and come into my life. I would do anything to go back to those teen years and take different actions. In my life today, I am so very thankful for God’s grace, mercy and redemption.

From Anna (Josh's wife):

I can imagine the shock many of you are going through reading this. I remember feeling that same shock. It was not at the point of engagement, or after we were married - it was two years before Josh asked me to marry him. When my family and I first visited the Duggar Home, Josh shared his past teenage mistakes. I was surprised at his openness and humility and at the same time didn't know why he was sharing it. For Josh he wanted not just me but my parents to know who he really was -- even every difficult past mistakes. At that point and over the next two years, Josh shared how the counseling he received changed his life as he continued to do what he was taught. And when you, our sweet fans, first met me when Josh asked me to marry him... I was able to say, "Yes" knowing who Josh really is - someone who had gone down a wrong path and had humbled himself before God and those whom he had offended. Someone who had received the help needed to change the direction of his life and do what is right. I want to say thank you to those who took time over a decade ago to help Josh in a time of crisis. Your investment changed his life from going down the wrong path to doing what is right. If it weren't for your help I would not be here as his wife — celebrating 6 1/2 years of marriage to a man who knows how to be a gentleman and treat a girl right. Thank you to all of you who tirelessly work with children in crisis, you are changing lives and I am forever grateful for all of you.

Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mike Huckabee said this regarding the Duggar family and Josh:

"Janet and I want to affirm our support for the Duggar family. Josh’s actions when he was an underage teen are as he described them himself, 'inexcusable,' but that doesn’t mean 'unforgivable.' He and his family dealt with it and were honest and open about it with the victims and the authorities. No purpose whatsoever is served by those who are now trying to discredit Josh or his family by sensationalizing the story. Good people make mistakes and do regrettable and even disgusting things. The reason that the law protects disclosure of many actions on the part of a minor is that the society has traditionally understood something that today’s blood-thirsty media does not understand—that being a minor means that one's judgement is not mature. No one needs to defend Josh’s actions as a teenager, but the fact that he confessed his sins to those he harmed, sought help, and has gone forward to live a responsible and circumspect life as an adult is testament to his family’s authenticity and humility. Those who have enjoyed revealing this long ago sins in order to discredit the Duggar family have actually revealed their own insensitive bloodthirst, for there was no consideration of the fact that the victims wanted this to be left in the past and ultimately a judge had the information on file destroyed—not to protect Josh, but the innocent victims. Janet and I love Jim Bob and Michelle and their entire family. They are no more perfect a family than any family, but their Christian witness is not marred in our eyes because following Christ is not a declaration of our perfection, but of HIS perfection. It is precisely because we are all sinners that we need His grace and His forgiveness. We have been blessed to receive God’s love and we would do no less than to extend our love and support for our friends. In fact, it is such times as this, when real friends show up and stand up. Today, Janet and I want to show up and stand up for our friends. Let others run from them. We will run to them with our support."

Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
They choose that when they decided to pretend they were perfect family and complain about the LGBT community.

So they can never voice their religious views because something that their child did 12 years ago? Even the LGBT has many skeletons in their closets but have the right to voice their opinion regardless how flawed it is. Shouldn't we forgive and move on? Are condemn the family forever for the actions of one of their 19 kids did 12 years ago?

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
It must be okay because they're supposed to be the perfect Christian family. Personally, I can't see past their raging hypocrisy and dislike of people not like them already so you'll pardon me if I don't give them the benefit of the doubt.

If they weren't Christian you would not be as defensive about them I'm sure.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As I said in the last thread, Please people grow up.
You seem unable to see the hypocrisy behind all this.

But Josh Dugger is not a pedophile since he was also underage. Being a minor means that one's judgement is not mature and that you are more Likely to do stupid things. Not to mention that he owned up to his crime and his family got him some help and even talked to a police officer who showed him what would happen if he continued down that path. He also admitted to his wife before they got engaged and has not lied about this. This incident happened 12 years ago. He is 27 now and was about 14 then. His family and the victims have forgiven him. Instead of condemning him for something that happened long in the past, forgive him as Christ forgave you. He is now right with God and is trying to serve him and his family. Anyway I hope people grow up and the show continues to show Christian values. We as Christians all make mistakes and the people that are close to us often hurt us. But as the Dugger family does forgive as Christ forgives, and love as Christ loves. Shouldn't we do the same?? Take the log out of your own eyes and let's support each other in our christian walk. God bless the Dugger family and everyone who continues to try to do what's right.
You know what is despicable about this? You are so eager to pity him and so quick to forgive him for molesting little girls. And yet, if he were not a Christian, if he were gay, I bet your attitude would be different.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟321,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wasn't he 15 years old, when he got caught last. Doesn't mean he stopped. Most pedophiles seem really nice. Oh how they changed and then years later they get caught. I hope he's not molesting kids.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟321,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Are condemn the family forever for the actions of one of their 19 kids did 12 years ago?
I'm not condemning them at all. I just understand why everyone has a problem with them. Mainly with out spoken Michelle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Amazingly, some people think it is justifiable to condemn two people of the same sex for having a loving relationship, but think that molesting children is a sin that must be forgiven at the slightest sign of contrition. They call the former a "perversion," but are so eager to forgive the perpetrator of the latter, as though his sin were far lesser, trivial even.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟321,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Duggar Home, Josh shared his past teenage mistakes. I was surprised at his openness and humility and at the same time didn't know why he was sharing it. For Josh he wanted not just me but my parents to know who he really was -- even every difficult past mistakes. At that point and over the next two years, Josh shared how the counseling he received changed his life as he continued to do what he was taught.
At least it's good to hear he got counseling. I give him that much. I'm not sure why she would keep having so many kids knowing this. Also did his victims get counseling?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟321,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But as the Dugger family does forgive as Christ forgives, and love as Christ loves. Shouldn't we do the same?
Just because someone has an opinion on this, doesn't mean they cant forgive. I have an opinion. But nothing in this case was done to me. So there would be no reason for me to forgive or not. I don't see how that would apply to anyone on here posting about them.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
1. We shouldn't berate, but we also shouldn't let something like this slide to the backburner. Sexual assault and abuse is a horrible crime and the predators and enablers need to be called out.

2. The girls who were molested deserve justice. Josh deserves a criminal trial for doing a criminal act. The family needs to be held accountable for covering up this criminal act.

3. What does this have to do with anything?

This isn't about someone who "violated the sex positions of the very conservative Christian", this is about a teenager that SEXUALLY ASSAULTED his sisters, which is illegal and horribly sickening.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟321,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
2. The girls who were molested deserve justice. Josh deserves a criminal trial for doing a criminal act.
When young teens or family members molest family members, that doesn't seem to happen. A lot of victims will even say they made it up, since the parents are telling them, if you want to go home lie. Victims often don't get justice of any kind.
The family needs to be held accountable for covering up this criminal act.
The more I read about it, they didn't seem to cover it up. Family friends knew about. Josh told his wife, the father told a cop friend. People knew about it. I'm just stunned so many people knew about it, and the worlds just finding out about it. There was rumor about him molesting Jana running around the internet. But I assumed it was just a rumor, who knows what sisters it actually happened too.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
When young teens or family members molest family members, that doesn't seem to happen. A lot of victims will even say they made it up, since the parents are telling them, if you want to go home lie. Victims often don't get justice of any kind. The more I read about it, they didn't seem to cover it up. Family friends knew about. Josh told his wife, the father told a cop friend. People knew about it. I'm just stunned so many people knew about it, and the worlds just finding out about it. There was rumor about him molesting Jana running around the internet. But I assumed it was just a rumor, who knows what sisters it actually happened too.

And considering most sexual abuse comes from family members (or close family friends), this is even scarier :(

If a cop knew about it, I wonder why no charges were filed? I mean I can guess why, but it just hurts to think that way.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟897,101.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Amazingly, some people think it is justifiable to condemn two people of the same sex for having a loving relationship, but think that molesting children is a sin that must be forgiven at the slightest sign of contrition. They call the former a "perversion," but are so eager to forgive the perpetrator of the latter, as though his sin were far lesser, trivial even.

One sin stopped while the other persists.

There's a difference.

Reactions: muddleglum
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟897,101.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
One "sin" involves consenting adults, the other involves a predator molesting his non-consenting child sisters.

There's a HUGE difference.

Morally there's a difference, sure, but both are sin.

It's also important to remember that consent in the sense that two people are willing and legally free to do so under secular law doesn't excuse them from wrongdoing by biblical standard.

So yes, while one may be worse than the other, the repentance of one sin compared to the persistence of another is something to be considered.

Upvote 0