Leimeng

Sep 25, 2004
Arizona USA
✟1,772.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
~ Since soo many people are concerned about drinking alcohol or consumption of said nectar in excess, I was wondering if anyone has the same issue with those who consume food in excess? After all, how many sicknesses and financial and family problems and deaths are incurred each year by eating too much?
~ Does the consumption of liquid candy bars (soda) daily bug you?
~ Do you find that God gets any more glory out of people who are so large and out of shape that they cannot walk across a parking lot or up a flight of stairs without being out of breath than He does by people who do or do not drink the occasional adult beverage?
~ Or is it just another example of hypocrisy?
~ Continue to discuss amongst yourselves...

Peace,

Leimeng

Flatulo Ergo Sum ~~~

(***Insert Personal One Liner Here***)

Reactions: pinetree

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm thinking this thread will die real quick because I have seen no one saying the things about drinking alcoholic drinks that you say. Maybe I'm wrong but the ones who said they don't drink gave reasons as that they don't want to or they don't like it. But yeah, discuss amongst yourselves, whoever you are...

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Even if the op was based on facts, it's not hypocrisy to point out one sin over another. You drink, you get drunk, you may sin. You eat, you get fat, you may sin. You smoke, you may smell like you've been to hell, and you may sin. If I think one of them is a sin for me to do more than another (i.e. because God miraculously set me free from smoking, if I smoke now, it's sin) it doesn't mean I'm a hypocrite towards the others. A hypocrite is one who says drinking is wrong but then takes a pull from the 'secret bottle' in the bottom drawer.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm thinking this thread will die real quick because I have seen no one saying the things about drinking alcoholic drinks that you say. Maybe I'm wrong but the ones who said they don't drink gave reasons as that they don't want to or they don't like it. But yeah, discuss amongst yourselves, whoever you are...

I think the OP is driving at, is that there is a lot of concern being expressed about the dangers of drinking alcoholic beverages that are not focused on people with over-eating. I drink an occasional beer and maybe a glass of wine but they do not present a problem for me because I only drink one beer or one glass of wine—I do not drink a case of beer or a whole bottle of wine. That would be excess.

But when it comes to eating, I will find myself ordering the 16 oz. rib eye (plus a baked potato with all the trimmings) instead of the petit 9 oz. filet with veggies or the super-giant size, fully-loaded pizza instead of a single slice. And my balloon-size waistline tells me that maybe I am overdoing the eating thing. This is especially true when I discover that my cholesterol levels are too high and have been warned that eating (not drinking) could kill me.

Whatever finger we point at drinkers we need to stand at a mirror and point at our own bloated reflection.

IMO.

~Jim.

People don’t fail; they just give up trying.

Upvote 0

BenAdam

Pirate King
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2006
Tortuga
✟51,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is me after I lost some weight.
creosote-747728.jpg

Upvote 0

Alpine

Resident Sojourner
Sep 19, 2005
Wisconsin
✟25,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
~ Since soo many people are concerned about drinking alcohol or consumption of said nectar in excess, I was wondering if anyone has the same issue with those who consume food in excess? After all, how many sicknesses and financial and family problems and deaths are incurred each year by eating too much?

Yes, but how many people drive into other people after consuming too much food? How many people abuse their spouses after too much food? How many people stop working and sit around doing nothing because they eat too much food?

Everyone has to eat to survive. One does not have to drink to survive.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, but how many people drive into other people after consuming too much food? How many people abuse their spouses after too much food? How many people stop working and sit around doing nothing because they eat too much food?

Everyone has to eat to survive. One does not have to drink to survive.

Good point. But one does not have to over-eat to survive.

Still, telling others it is wrong or sinful for them to drink any beverage is a bit over the line and no reason for anyone to impose their values on others.

For why is my liberty judged by another man’s conscience? (1 Cor. 10.29)

Drinking to the point of impaired reflexes and judgment is wrong. I think we all agree on that.

~j~

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
While I agree that a lot of people eat way more than what they need not everyone who is overweight is that way because they eat too much. I have a friend who upon spending a great deal of time with me said that of all her friends I was the one who ate the least but I was the one who struggled with the weight. In the past few months I have almost totally cut out pastas and breads and sugars. I have not lost any weight. I cannot afford to gorge on the food I do buy. I make it last....however, I don't lose any weight. I rarely drink a soda or eat a candy bar or whatever else is seen as taboo for a fat person.

Last year I lost 24 pounds and I've managed to somewhat maintain it. It's a battle though. If I ate the way all overweight individuals are portrayed I'm sure I would be even more overweight than I am right now. However, I don't eat like that. I eat less than most of my skinny friends. I have been told by the doctor that I have an inactive metabalism but I don't have the money to get insurance in order to get on the medication which even when I was taking it only caused me to gain weight. For some people it's just not as easy as some skinny people think.

Yes, I think it's wrong to eat more than is needed. It's just that not everyone falls into the assumptions that are made.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some overweight people are overweight due to genetics or medical issues...like thyroid problems and Polycystic Ovaries (hormonal). I don't think it's right to look at an overweight person and automatically judge them as being a glutton.

I agree. But it is just as wrong to assume that everyone who enjoys an occasional beer is destined for alcoholism.

~j~

Upvote 0
C

Cassidy

I eat less than most of my skinny friends. I have been told by the doctor that I have an inactive metabalism but I don't have the money to get insurance in order to get on the medication which even when I was taking it only caused me to gain weight. For some people it's just not as easy as some skinny people think.

I know this to be true for some people. Some people can't even eat the same amount as skinny people without gaining...if must be awful! On the flip side you get skinny people who eat like a horse and can't gain the weight at all....I think that would be an overactive metabolism.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Do you listen to your doctor when they tell you that you should get atleast ATLEAST 20 minutes of cardio exercise 3 times a week.
That's the absolute minimum.

You go through a Christian Bootcamp for 6 weeks, eating fish/chicken only 3 times a week and eating oatmeal, rice, veggies(and similar products) and water only. At the same time working out (no running or heavy weight lifting), you'll shrink.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.