Drinking a beer does not go against Bible

CaptainToad

Feb 7, 2015
✟13,139.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I believe that it's been established that alcohol is not the 'evil' Jason has attempted to label it. Most seem to be aware that it's not the alcohol that we are to blame for those too irresponsible to deal with it.

Yes. Alcohol can certainly be a problem when abused. But simply drinking amounts within reason do not constitute 'abuse'. There 'are' many that can responsibly ingest alcohol without allowing it to 'rule' their lives or cause grief in their lives or the lives of others.

It is my opinion that Paul's words are correct. We can indeed drink a 'little wine' and ENJOY it without being 'drunkards'.

Beer? While it is not mentioned specifically in the Bible, since it is pretty much equivalent to wine so far as alcohol content, I don't think that it is an exception. It too can be enjoyed without one becoming a drunkard.

But if you are incapable of drinking alcohol without it causing 'problems' in your life, don't. Not very smart to allow ''any'' substance to dominate your life or impede your ability to function properly.

Jason isn't 'alone'. I have heard many that insist that alcohol in ANY amount is a 'sin'. I don't know where the idea came from. Certainly not the Bible. And there is certainly no 'freedom' in the concept that we can 'label' a substance in any such manner.

Gold isn't a problem until one starts to 'worship it'. Sex isn't a problem until one starts to 'worship it'. It's when one starts to place 'things' ahead of God or each other that we run into problems. When we start to 'love' things we begin to allow our 'lusts' be our guide.

And if one learns to or allows alcohol to become something that they 'worship' for it's effects, well, we end up no longer being in control of our lusts and they become manifest in our lives.

Alcohol certainly have the potential for abuse. We see it every day. But the substance has just as much potential for benefit as it has for abuse. The substance itself isn't either 'good' or 'evil'. It's the manner in which it is USED that determines it's potential hazard or benefit.

Blessings,

MEC

I think you are spot on. The whole debate wether alcohol is sin is kind of misleading. Its all about the we in which alcohol should be handled.

Upvote 0

BlackZeppelin

Sep 26, 2016
Australia
✟18,733.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus drank wine, so I think it would be rather difficult to argue that it is a sin...............

I have seen these arguments go round and round. All Christians that are opposed to any drinking claim that the "wine" was in fact non alcoholic grape juice.

What I find irritating about these arguments is that when these Christians quote the bible against alcohol, (wine is a mocker, warnings against drunkenness etc) they claim the wine mentioned is alcoholic. But when confronted with verses approving, (Jesus and wine at the wedding, wine makes the heart merry etc) these same Christians then claim the wine is non alcoholic.

I find that a very poor reading of the bible and convoluted.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟816,720.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I have seen these arguments go round and round. All Christians that are opposed to any drinking claim that the "wine" was in fact non alcoholic grape juice.

What I find irritating about these arguments is that when these Christians quote the bible against alcohol, (wine is a mocker, warnings against drunkenness etc) they claim the wine mentioned is alcoholic. But when confronted with verses approving, (Jesus and wine at the wedding, wine makes the heart merry etc) these same Christians then claim the wine is non alcoholic.

Good observations!

Upvote 0

CaptainToad

Feb 7, 2015
✟13,139.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Exactly. Its like theydont read the bible and see what is there but rather have a preconceived image or idea which they try to prove with the bible in their handsrt

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,440,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. Paul is an Apostle of Christ, a great bishop, a great evangelist.

BUT nevertheless Paul wrote some things that are in opposition to what Christ said. The biggest one is the thought that we are judged by what we think as opposed to what we do. Jesus said repeatedly that men, including Christians, are judged by their deeds.

“You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment."

“You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

Upvote 0

CaptainToad

Feb 7, 2015
✟13,139.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
“You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment."

“You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

Yes, sin has its roots in the mind. Its the things that come out that defile us.

Upvote 0

real tree

Feb 17, 2017
USA
✟2,203.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So you are strongly against?
I dont know what to say.

Honestly it seems to me that you believe your opinion and understanding is the ultimate one and if anyone disagress with you they are simply wrong no matter what.
Do you even have room for disagreement?
Do you know all the answers?
Captain Toad he has never been wrong, what do you expect from one that has claimed to of achieved sinless perfectionism.

Upvote 0

Reformed2

Supporter
May 4, 2017
Delete
✟69,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Personally, I do not drink alcohol at all because I believe it is a slippery slope. I do however enjoy non-alcoholic beer, I drink it very often actually. German NA beers have the highest quality, though I also like Old Milwaukee NA.

I don't think that drinking a beer is a sin, but it can certainly become sinful so I stay safe and drink the NA stuff.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
We all understand any alcohol can be destructive, mood-altering and killing us physcally.

Why dabble with it to begin with?
All the drugs are temptations, not just mood altering but mind and actions altering also...
Since most people give in, isn't it okay ? (no)

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
There is nothing in the Bible that says you can't drink in moderation. Being raised Adventist I was taught different. Now that I am ex SDA, I have done a lot of research on the matter and the bible does not prohibit drinking in moderation. For those of you interested in alcohol but afraid you will burn in a lake of fire for drinking, never fear because now its ok.

I totally agree!

The context of that miraculous transformation of 120 gallons of water into wine...... indicates that it was real wine with some alcoholic content..... or how could the person in charge of the wedding consider it to be the best wine?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
or how could the person in charge of the wedding consider it to be the best wine?
This is fully cleared up in David Wilkerson's book "Sipping Saints" (I think),
and perhaps on
several other sites (available 10 years ago) (don't know if any available today).

Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
This is fully cleared up in David Wilkerson's book "Sipping Saints" (I think),
and perhaps on
several other sites (available 10 years ago) (don't know if any available today).

I have read two or three of Pastor David Wilkerson's books over the years.

He is phenomenal but......
judging by the title of the book "Sipping Saints" it is possible that he went
somewhat to the right on this particular issue?

I sure was impressed by his predictions in his book The Vision from 1973 though......

Are land prices in countryside about to rise and rise?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I have read two or three of Pastor David Wilkerson's books over the years.

He is phenomenal but......
judging by the title of the book "Sipping Saints" it is possible that he went
somewhat to the right on this particular issue?
He was simply a servant doing his duty more faithfully than most others.
He is , not by far, the first, only , or last one to show the sinfulness and harm of most alchoolic drinking... and in Sipping Saints is one testimony not of the letter of the law that kills, nor of the lawlessness that leads to destruction,
but of revelations from YHWH'S WORD, the testimony of Y'SHUA(JESUS) that is healing.

Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
He was simply a servant doing his duty more faithfully than most others.
He is , not by far, the first, only , or last one to show the sinfulness and harm of most alchoolic drinking... and in Sipping Saints is one testimony not of the letter of the law that kills, nor of the lawlessness that leads to destruction,
but of revelations from YHWH'S WORD, the testimony of Y'SHUA(JESUS) that is healing.

I am reading a blog by another poster here right now.......
what he writes relates to this......

Repentance and Sin No More, Perfection and Born of the Spirit | Wisdom of God

The holy spirit that a man receives then “causes” him to obey the Law of Moses,

And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules. (Ezekiel 36:27 [ESV])

I do believe that having more of the Holy Spirt can help a Christian to
have a drink or two in a similar way to the way that Messiah Yeshua - Jesus
had the occasional drink of wine...... and was called a wine bibber.......

Rabbi Yeshua - Jesus had NOT taken the Nazarite vow as John the Baptist had done.....

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There is nothing in the Bible that says you can't drink in moderation. Being raised Adventist I was taught different. Now that I am ex SDA, I have done a lot of research on the matter and the bible does not prohibit drinking in moderation. For those of you interested in alcohol but afraid you will burn in a lake of fire for drinking, never fear because now its ok.
There are actually people who think that God roasts people alive forever for drinking beer? Yikes!

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Widlast

Feb 11, 2016
Eastern USA
✟35,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are actually people who think that God roasts people alive forever for drinking beer? Yikes!
Yes. They are a funny bunch. I have some experience with such, they will lie, cheat, rob, commit adultery, and molest children, but not a drop of that "demon rum" will pass their lips.

On my side, we drink liquor like tap water, but don't lie, cheat, steal, or have any sexual relations with anyone not married to us. I guess it just happens to be all part of your world view.

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Read Deut. 14:22-27
Tithes
22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

Uh, oh. The Israelites were commanded to take the tithe and blow it on worldly junk including beer, and uh oh....strong drink (check other translations on verse 24)

The prohibition on alcohol is not on the substance itself, but the debauchery that comes from drinking too much. debauchery is the problem.....not beer.
If you like beer or wine, drink it with a thankful heart. Be merry and blessed.
But if you drink too much and sin....well, that's a different issue.
Yeshua not only drank wine but created it. Satan did not do it.

Bless up.

Upvote 0