Drinking a beer does not go against Bible

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Effects of Alcohol and Wine On Our Bodies

The Bible is clear that our bodies are temples of the living God via the agent of the Holy Spirit. “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received of God? . . . . Therefore honor God with your body” (1 Corinthians 6:19, NIV). God is concerned with how we treat our bodies, including what we eat or drink. “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31, NIV). The wise Solomon said, “Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise” (Proverbs 20:1, NIV). “Do not gaze at wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup, when it goes down smoothly! In the end it bites like a snake and poisons like a viper” (Proverbs 23:31, NIV).

Short-term effects of alcohol
Distorted vision, hearing, coordination, altered perceptions & emotions, impaired judgment, bad breath and hangovers. Such problems can occur after drinking over a relatively short period of time.

Long-term Effects of Alcohol
Other problems such as liver disease, heart disease, certain forms of cancer, and pancreatitis—often develop more gradually and may become evident only after years of drinking. Women may develop alcohol-related health problems sooner than men and from drinking less alcohol than men. Because alcohol affects nearly every organ in the body, long-term drinking increases the risk for many serious health problems.

Heart Disease
The moderate use of alcohol has been reported to have beneficial effects on the heart, especially among those at greatest risk for heart attacks, such as men over the age of forty-five and women after menopause. However, it is very important to know that these reports are based on observational data, but there is insufficient evidence to prove causality. It is also significant that none of these investigators has recommended those not using alcohol begin doing so! Heavy drinking increases the risk for heart disease, high blood pressure, and some kinds of stroke.

Cancer
cancer.jpg

Long-term heavy drinking increases the risk of certain forms of cancer, especially cancer of the esophagus, mouth, throat, and larynx (voice box). Research suggests that for some women as little as one drink per day can slightly raise the risk of breast cancer. Drinking may also increase the risk for developing cancer of the colon and rectum.

Pancreatitis
The pancreas helps regulate the body’s blood sugar levels by producing insulin. The pancreas also has a role in digesting the food we eat. Long-term heavy drinking can lead to pancreatitis, or inflammation of the pancreas. Acute pancreatitis can cause severe abdominal pain and can be fatal. Chronic pancreatitis is associated with chronic pain, diarrhea, and weight loss.

Alcohol-related Liver Disease
More than 2 million Americans suffer from alcohol-related liver disease. Some drinkers develop alcoholic hepatitis, or inflammation of the liver, as a result of heavy drinking over a long period of time. Its symptoms include fever, jaundice (abnormal yellowing of the skin, eyeballs, and urine), and abdominal pain. Alcoholic hepatitis can cause death if drinking continues. If drinking stops, the condition may be reversible.

About 10 percent to 20 percent of heavy drinkers develop alcoholic cirrhosis, or scarring of the liver. People with cirrhosis should not drink alcohol. Although treatment for the complications of cirrhosis is available, a liver transplant may be needed for someone with life-threatening cirrhosis. Alcoholic cirrhosis can cause death if drinking continues. Cirrhosis is not reversible, but if a person with cirrhosis stops drinking, the chances of survival improve considerably. People with cirrhosis often feel better, and liver function may improve, after they stop drinking.

About 4 million Americans are infected with hepatitis C virus (HCV), which can cause liver cirrhosis and liver cancer. Some heavy drinkers also have HCV infection. As a result, their livers may be damaged not only by alcohol but by HCV-related problems as well. People with HCV infection are more susceptible to alcohol-related liver damage and should think carefully about the risks when considering whether to drink alcohol.

Source:
http://www.bibleinfo.com/en/questions/does-bible-condone-moderate-drinking-alcohol

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 10:23 (NLT) You say, “I am allowed to do anything” —but not everything is good for you. You say, “I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is beneficial.

Upvote 0

CaptainToad

Feb 7, 2015
✟13,139.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This is the post # I am talking about.

http://www.christianforums.com/thre...o-against-bible.7966249/page-18#post-70182735

Just click on the link above here and let the magic of the internet take you there.

Yes, you were criticizing the man for the use of a name without trying to check as to what he said it means.
You just threw stones at him with your words.

Have you ever read about how Peter was told by God to eat unclean animals in a vision?

Still far from being holy

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

CaptainToad

Feb 7, 2015
✟13,139.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This is the post # I am talking about.

http://www.christianforums.com/thre...o-against-bible.7966249/page-18#post-70182735

Just click on the link above here and let the magic of the internet take you there.

Yes, you were criticizing the man for the use of a name without trying to check as to what he said it means.
You just threw stones at him with your words.

Have you ever read about how Peter was told by God to eat unclean animals in a vision?

Matter of fact I dont care what somebody calls their website.

As far as this holy cow holy pig thing is concerned: there might be a saying like holy cow in america, I am aware of that but its not in a religious context. Its rather an exclamation of surprise or amazement and again has nothing to do with religion. A holy pig website which has religious references? I dont know, its just my opinion.
Imagine I would create a website with christianity in mind and call it holy little devil because collecting small, troll-like little devils was my favorite past time.
I never collected devils but I have a lot of cats - holy cats? ☺

Like I said I dont really care about what other people are doing, I wouldnt have chosen thay name.

Moreover it is implied that a pig can become holy, is this a joke?
We can become holy through Christ. A pig CANNOT.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Matter of fact I dont care what somebody calls their website.

As far as this holy cow holy pig thing is concerned: there might be a saying like holy cow in america, I am aware of that but its not in a religious context. Its rather an exclamation of surprise or amazement and again has nothing to do with religion. A holy pig website which has religious references? I dont know, its just my opinion.
Imagine I would create a website with christianity in mind and call it holy little devil because collecting small, troll-like little devils was my favorite past time.
I never collected devils but I have a lot of cats - holy cats? ☺

Like I said I dont really care about what other people are doing, I wouldnt have chosen thay name.

Moreover it is implied that a pig can become holy, is this a joke?
We can become holy through Christ. A pig CANNOT.

Pigs are a part of God's creation. They are not creatures of the demonic realm. They were merely labeled as unclean animals in the Old Testament, but now we have a liberty in Christ to eat unclean animals under the New Covenant (i.e. the New Testament). Hence, what was unclean is now clean. Meaning, we can now eat pork (Whereas before we couldn't).

Also, Scripture makes reference to dogs as being unclean Gentiles (Which are non-Jews).

25 "Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.
26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.
27 And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table" (Matthew 15:25-27).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wunderlust

Sep 19, 2016
America
✟17,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Effects of Alcohol and Wine On Our Bodies

The Bible is clear that our bodies are temples of the living God via the agent of the Holy Spirit. “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received of God? . . . . Therefore honor God with your body” (1 Corinthians 6:19, NIV). God is concerned with how we treat our bodies, including what we eat or drink. “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31, NIV). The wise Solomon said, “Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise” (Proverbs 20:1, NIV). “Do not gaze at wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup, when it goes down smoothly! In the end it bites like a snake and poisons like a viper” (Proverbs 23:31, NIV).

Short-term effects of alcohol
Distorted vision, hearing, coordination, altered perceptions & emotions, impaired judgment, bad breath and hangovers. Such problems can occur after drinking over a relatively short period of time.

Long-term Effects of Alcohol
Other problems such as liver disease, heart disease, certain forms of cancer, and pancreatitis—often develop more gradually and may become evident only after years of drinking. Women may develop alcohol-related health problems sooner than men and from drinking less alcohol than men. Because alcohol affects nearly every organ in the body, long-term drinking increases the risk for many serious health problems.

Heart Disease
The moderate use of alcohol has been reported to have beneficial effects on the heart, especially among those at greatest risk for heart attacks, such as men over the age of forty-five and women after menopause. However, it is very important to know that these reports are based on observational data, but there is insufficient evidence to prove causality. It is also significant that none of these investigators has recommended those not using alcohol begin doing so! Heavy drinking increases the risk for heart disease, high blood pressure, and some kinds of stroke.

Cancer
cancer.jpg

Long-term heavy drinking increases the risk of certain forms of cancer, especially cancer of the esophagus, mouth, throat, and larynx (voice box). Research suggests that for some women as little as one drink per day can slightly raise the risk of breast cancer. Drinking may also increase the risk for developing cancer of the colon and rectum.

Pancreatitis
The pancreas helps regulate the body’s blood sugar levels by producing insulin. The pancreas also has a role in digesting the food we eat. Long-term heavy drinking can lead to pancreatitis, or inflammation of the pancreas. Acute pancreatitis can cause severe abdominal pain and can be fatal. Chronic pancreatitis is associated with chronic pain, diarrhea, and weight loss.

Alcohol-related Liver Disease
More than 2 million Americans suffer from alcohol-related liver disease. Some drinkers develop alcoholic hepatitis, or inflammation of the liver, as a result of heavy drinking over a long period of time. Its symptoms include fever, jaundice (abnormal yellowing of the skin, eyeballs, and urine), and abdominal pain. Alcoholic hepatitis can cause death if drinking continues. If drinking stops, the condition may be reversible.

About 10 percent to 20 percent of heavy drinkers develop alcoholic cirrhosis, or scarring of the liver. People with cirrhosis should not drink alcohol. Although treatment for the complications of cirrhosis is available, a liver transplant may be needed for someone with life-threatening cirrhosis. Alcoholic cirrhosis can cause death if drinking continues. Cirrhosis is not reversible, but if a person with cirrhosis stops drinking, the chances of survival improve considerably. People with cirrhosis often feel better, and liver function may improve, after they stop drinking.

About 4 million Americans are infected with hepatitis C virus (HCV), which can cause liver cirrhosis and liver cancer. Some heavy drinkers also have HCV infection. As a result, their livers may be damaged not only by alcohol but by HCV-related problems as well. People with HCV infection are more susceptible to alcohol-related liver damage and should think carefully about the risks when considering whether to drink alcohol.

Source:
http://www.bibleinfo.com/en/questions/does-bible-condone-moderate-drinking-alcohol

Yes, abusing alcohol, just like anything else, is bad for you.

Even excessively drinking water can kill you.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, abusing alcohol, just like anything else, is bad for you.

Even excessively drinking water can kill you.

Just consuming alcohol even moderately can potentially cause serious health problems. It is a drug. See this aritcle here and here. It is alcohol that dehydrates things. People use alcohol to clean things. But alcohol does not know the difference once it is in your body. This is not the case with water and food. Oh, and yes. I am aware of water poisoning. But again, the results are not the same if you drink water moderately vs. (versus) drinking alcohol moderately. One is addictive and can lead you to drink more of it. The other is not like that. One can harm you over time and the other doesn't. One is helpful to your body. The other is not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CaptainToad

Feb 7, 2015
✟13,139.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Pigs are a part of God's creation. They are not creatures of the demonic realm. They were merely labeled as unclean animals in the Old Testament, but now we have a liberty in Christ to eat unclean animals under the New Covenant (i.e. the New Testament). Hence, what was unclean is now clean. Meaning, we can now eat pork (Whereas before we couldn't).

Also, Scripture makes reference to dogs as being unclean Gentiles (Which are non-Jews).

25 "Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.
26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.
27 And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table" (Matthew 15:25-27).

Of course they are part of Gods creation, so is the devil. Still doesnt mean theres holy pigs

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course they are part of Gods creation, so is the devil. Still doesnt mean theres holy pigs

God did not create the devil whereby he was an evil creature.. In other words, God did not one day decide to create evil. Evil is something that some of His free willed creations have chosen.

Anyways, I do not think you understood what I had written.
But that's okay.
Let's move on and get back on topic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why exactly do you disagree? Which verses show you that?

Jason,
Be careful how you use the Scriptures. Your avatar has a James Bond look to it, and your name and tag line furthers the implication: "double 0 47, in His Majesty's Sacred Service". The Bible does not call us "agents" but "ambassadors" with the ministry of reconciliation. You use the Scriptures like bullets shot at the brethren. The letter of the law kills, but the Spirit gives life. We are called to give life, not shoot the brethren.

Regarding the possibility that the wine was a substitute for water, I do not know if this was actually the case. I had read this from another commentator. But knowing the power of God to heal, and especially since that power was documented in Paul's time, it makes sense to me that it was not an issue of illness, but a problem resolved by not drinking the water.

The Greek word translated as "wine", oinos, is commonly understood to be an alcoholic beverage. Both Strong's and Thayer's say it is probably derived from the Hebrew word, yayin:

"From an unused root meaning to effervesce; wine (as fermented); by implication intoxication"​

This is the common understanding which is why the translators used the English word, "wine" and not "juice". The burden of proof is not on our shoulders, but yours, since you prefer to believe that the Jewish wine was (and is) something that it is not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CaptainToad

Feb 7, 2015
✟13,139.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jason,
Be careful how you use the Scriptures. Your avatar has a James Bond look to it, and your name and tag line furthers the implication: "double 0 47, in His Majesty's Sacred Service". The Bible does not call us "agents" but "ambassadors" with the ministry of reconciliation. You use the Scriptures like bullets shot at the brethren. The letter of the law kills, but the Spirit gives life. We are called to give life, not shoot the brethren.

Regarding the possibility that the wine was a substitute for water, I do not know if this was actually the case. I had read this from another commentator. But knowing the power of God to heal, and especially since that power was documented in Paul's time, it makes sense to me that it was not an issue of illness, but a problem resolved by not drinking the water.

The Greek word translated as "wine", oinos, is commonly understood to be an alcoholic beverage. Both Strong's and Thayer's say it is probably derived from the Hebrew word, yayin:

"From an unused root meaning to effervesce; wine (as fermented); by implication intoxication"​

This is the common understanding which is why the translators used the English word, "wine" and not "juice". The burden of proof is not on our shoulders, but yours, since you prefer to believe that the Jewish wine was (and is) something that it is not.

Didnt even realize that: 0047 as in ak 47☺

Sounds pretty tough

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jason,
Be careful how you use the Scriptures. Your avatar has a James Bond look to it, and your name and tag line furthers the implication: "double 0 47, in His Majesty's Sacred Service". The Bible does not call us "agents" but "ambassadors" with the ministry of reconciliation. You use the Scriptures like bullets shot at the brethren.

My goal is to always attack the belief and not the person. Hence, why I set out to talk in a third person way. For where have you seen me set out to slander and attack other posters here? If so, please provide post #'s. Otherwise you are accusing me falsely, my friend. In fact, for your information, I am not the one making personal attacks against another user by pointing out how they believe their user name is flawed. But if you have read the gospels, you should know that Jesus even tells us to do certain things in secret for God.

1 "Pay attention in your charity giving, that you do it not in front of people so that you may be seen by them, otherwise there is no reward for you with your Father in Heaven.
2 When therefore you do your charity giving, you should not blast a trumpet before you like the pretenders in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be glorified by the children of men; truly I say to you, they have received their reward.
3 But you, whenever you do charity giving, let not your left know what your right is doing.
4 So that your charity may be in secret, and your Father who sees in secret will reward you in public.
5 And when you pray, be not like the pretenders who like to stand in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets to pray, that they may be seen by the children of men, and truly I say to you, they have received their reward.
6 But you, when you pray, enter into your closet and lock your door, and pray to your father who is in secret, and your Father who sees in secret will reward you in public."
(Matthew 6:1-6 Aramaic Bible in Plain English).

Also, I believe we wage a secret and hidden war that most do not even know about. For the weapons of our warefare are not carnal; And we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against principalities and spiritual wickedness in high places (Ephesians 6:12).

Even Jesus's mission was top secret. For He did not openly display His power as God to all people and or give them the understanding of His plan of salvation with His death, burial, resurrection, and ascension (Before the cross). Jesus also told men several times not to tell others about His miracles on certain occasions, as well.

Check out this thread I created on another forum (to learn more - if you are interested):
http://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/108442-spies-bible.html

AlexDTX said:
The letter of the law kills, but the Spirit gives life. We are called to give life,

In 2 Corinthians 3:6, Paul was talking about the Old Testament Law (and not all law whatsoever). The New Testament did not abolish all forms of Law. The Scriptures say the Law has changed (Hebrews 7:12) (Which took place at Christ's death with the temple veil being torn). Meaning, the New Covenant Laws or Commands have superceded (or replaced) the Commands or Laws in the Old Testament (When the covenants changed with Christ's death). Christians are not lawless individuals. For Jesus Himself said to certain false believers to depart from him because they worked lawlessness (Matthew 7:23 NAS). Paul says,

"If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing, ..." (1 Timothy 6:3-4).
(Important Note: James says God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble - James 4:6).​

Paul also says,

"If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord. (1 Corinthians 14:37).

"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?" (Romans 6:1-2).​

For Paul says that the righteousness of the Law is supposed to be fulfilled within us,

"That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." (Romans 8:4).​

In fact, if you believe we are not under any kind of Law as believers, then you are not under the following Law or Command, as well.

"And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment." (1 John 3:23).​

AlexDTX said:
not shoot the brethren.

Again, where do you think I have done this? If you are referring to me speaking out against the sin of drunkenness in general and or warning the brethren (as a whole) against the dangers of alcoholism: This would not be in conflict with Scripture. The Bible condemns drunkenness both in the Old Testament and the New Testament. The New Testament also says you are not to do anything to make your brother to stumble, too. If Rick (a Christian) picks up a glass of wine and drinks it in front of Bob (Who is also a Christian) and he knows Bob struggles with alcoholism, this would be a bad testimony for Rick (Especially if Bob looked up to Rick for spiritual guidance and strength within the faith). The same is true with Jesus. For how is Jesus creating a drug as a part of His miracle be a good testimony to those future generations of Christians (who would read about this) who struggle with alcoholism? Couldn't certain Christians (who struggle with alcoholism) feel that it is okay to drink after reading John 2?

AlexDTX said:

Are you asking to see verses on this to see them with an open mind are you just against the idea as a matter of personal preference?
I am more than happy to provide Scripture and historical documents on this, but you have to honestly be open about it.

AlexDTX said:

I have already demonstrated before within this thread that wine can be in reference to grape juice.
But here is what I said in another thread (of which I stated within this thread, too):

http://www.christianforums.com/thre...e-or-grape-juice.7843514/page-3#post-68493868

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Didnt even realize that: 0047 as in ak 47

Sounds pretty tough

The number has nothing to do with the gun. 47 is simply a number that has followed me around all my life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And allow me to offer this: "It's not 'what you do', it's 'why you do it' that matters.

If you drink wine to get drunk. Not a good thing so far as that which is pleasing to God.

Since beer and wine have similar alcohol content, I don't really see any difference except it's ingredients. Does this matter? Don't know how to answer that question.

Is it 'just wine' that God allows? Or are we 'free' to choose our libations? Is it 'only grapes' that we are to turn into wine? Or are we 'free' to turn grain and hops into a bubbly substance we call 'beer'? Since only wine is mentioned, I can't say.

But I can say that drunkenness is not a mandatory condition to drinking either wine or beer. It's a matter of quantity. And it's also a matter of potency. Near beer contains alcohol but in insufficient quantity to cause drunkenness. But enough to make it 'clean' or 'safe' to drink so far as bacteria.

If 'any amount' of alcohol is a 'sin', then near beer would be just as sinful. Yet it is impossible to consume enough of it to become 'drunk'.

Nothing offered in the Bible forbids the drinking of wine. Not one line. What is discouraged is 'drunkenness'. Abuse of alcohol. Yet even the discouragement of drunkenness doesn't indicate that it is unforgivable. Most of what we are offered is that it can cause us 'problems' in life. Of course it can lead to 'sin'. But even the state of drunkenness does not in and of itself lead to sin.

I ask this: Do you suppose that Noah will be denied a place in heaven because of his drunkenness? Or do you suppose that God has the capacity to overlook it as 'just being human' and liable to stumble in such a manner? Do you think his drunkenness was such that he will be denied a place in heaven?

It's not 'what we do' that matters nearly as much as 'why we do it'. One man steals to feed his baby. Another steals through nothing but a sense of 'greed'. Are these sins equal?

One man kills out of anger or hatred. Another kills to protect his family. Are these acts equal?

A man has a glass of wine with dinner every night. Another drinks ten glasses in one night and gets in a fight. Are these two acts equal?

All things decently and in 'order'. That is our commission. That is what we have been instructed to 'do'.

Blessings,

MEC

Moderate use of alcohol can cause health problems, a loss of one's job if they are not careful, and addiction (Which can lead to drunkenness - that can then result in the death of yourself and or others). Alcohol is not even a food. Alcohol is a poison or a drug. It does not have any health benefits (Hence why there is no nutrition label on it). Alcohol is used to clean things. However, alcohol does not know the difference if it is outside the body or in the body. However, the wine they drank in Bible times was diluted and was not like the wine of today (Which is like a poison). While the Scriptures say it is what comes out of our mouths that defiles us and not what goes into us (that defiles), this would be in context to normal foods and drinks (And it would not be in reference to poisons). How so? Well, obviously you would not eat rat poison or a drug you would know that you slowly kill you over time. Alcohol use can cause birth defects in children if a mother were to consume of it during pregnancy. So it is not this harmless fun time beverage that people are making it out to be.

In fact, the more I learn about the dangers of drinking alcohol (even moderately), I am now leaning in the direction of Prohibitionism instead of Abstentionism. For in the New Testament, they did not drink the type of strong wines that we have today. They mixed it and diluted it with water.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Dartist

Dec 13, 2004
Oklahoma
✟15,613.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is simply not true. Here are...

21 WARNINGS
That Speak Against The Alcoholic Beverage Itself.
(That is not specifically or exclusively talking about drunkenness)

Passages For the Old Testament Saint:

(Before the Cross: The OT Saint did not have a liberty in Christ to drink intoxicating beverages)
(Just as they did not have a liberty in Christ to eat unclean animals)​

1) Deuteronomy 29:5-6
- God gave no grape juice to Israel nor did they have intoxicating drink in the wilderness.
(The reason for this action was taken so as to show how they knew God).

2) Deuteronomy 32:33
- Enemy's wine is like the poison of serpents vs. Israelite's pure blood of the grape (verse 14).

3) 1 Samuel 1:14-15
- Accused, Hannah said she drank no wine.

4) Proverbs 4:17
- Alcoholic drink is called the wine of violence.

5) Proverbs 20:1
- Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging.

6) Proverbs 23:31
- God instructs not to look at intoxicating drinks.

7) Proverbs 23:32
- Alcoholic drinks bite like a serpent, sting like an adder.

8) Proverbs 23:35
- Alcohol makes the drinker insensitive to pain so he does not perceive it as a warning.
(It also says Alcohol is habit forming).

9) Proverbs 31:4-5
- Kings, Princes, and others who rule and judge must not drink alcohol. Alcohol perverts good judgment.

10) Ecclesiastes 2:3
- The king tried everything, including intoxicating drink, to see if it satisfied. It did not.
(c.f. Ecclesiastes 12:8)

11) Ecclesiastes 10:17
- A land is blessed when its leaders do not drink.

12) Isaiah 5:22
- There is a woe unto them who mix strong drinks.

13) Jeremiah 35:2-14
- The Rechabites drank no grape juice or intoxicating wine and were blessed.

14) Daniel 1:5-17
- Daniel refused the king’s intoxicating wine and was blessed for it along with his abstaining friends.

15) Hosea 4:11
- Intoxicating wine seduces the heart.

Passages For the New Testament Saint:

(After the Cross: NT Saints (Not All) have a liberty in Christ to drink alcohol soberly & privately)
(Just as they have a liberty in Christ to eat unclean animals)
(Those whose conscience condemns them in drinking are not to drink)
(Those who are leaders in the church are not to drink alcohol)​

16) Romans 14:21
- Do not do anything (Including drinking intoxicating beverages) to make your brother to stumble.

17) 1 Timothy 3:2-3
- Bishops (elders) are to be temperate, sober, and not near any wine.

18) 1 Timothy 3:8
- Deacons are to be worthy of respect and not drinkers.

19) 1 Timothy 3:11
- Deacons’ wives are to be temperate and sober.

20) Titus 1:7-8
- A bishop is not to be given to wine.

21) Titus 2:2-3
- The older men and older women of the church are to be temperate and not addicted to wine.

Source:
75 Bible References on Drinking Alcohol

What part of what I wrote is "simply not true"? My translation of the Hebrew words (I studied Hebrew in seminary), or the examples from Scripture I shared? Your reply isn't a reply. You simply cut-and-pasted a list that is supposedly authoritative. Some of the verses there are commented on/interpreted without any explanation or reputable source given for why that interpretation is correct. Worst of all, you only shared verses that shared the negatives of alcohol abuse. (Sometimes taken out of context, and almost always with disregard to biblical genre of the book it is found in.)

If you really wanted to make a convincing argument, you also need to include the verses that speak positively about wine, and share why those are not true anymore.

And in the New Testament, church leaders are NOT forbidden to drink alcohol, they are forbidden to get drunk or drink a lot. The very verses you shared say as much. The word "temperate" means moderate and in control, balanced. It does not mean abstinent, which is to abstain completely from something. Look it up in a dictionary. C S Lewis, in fact, wrote a whole thing on it. It's either in Mere Christianity or The Screwrape Letters, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What part of what I wrote is "simply not true"? My translation of the Hebrew words (I studied Hebrew in seminary), or the examples from Scripture I shared? Your reply isn't a reply. You simply cut-and-pasted a list that is supposedly authoritative. Some of the verses there are commented on/interpreted without any explanation or reputable source given for why that interpretation is correct. Worst of all, you only shared verses that shared the negatives of alcohol abuse. (Sometimes taken out of context, and almost always with disregard to biblical genre of the book it is found in.)

If you really wanted to make a convincing argument, you also need to include the verses that speak positively about wine, and share why those are not true anymore.

And in the New Testament, church leaders are NOT forbidden to drink alcohol, they are forbidden to get drunk or drink a lot. The very verses you shared say as much. The word "temperate" means moderate and in control, balanced. It does not mean abstinent, which is to abstain completely from something. Look it up in a dictionary. C S Lewis, in fact, wrote a whole thing on it. It's either in Mere Christianity or The Screwrape Letters, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Well, no offense, but I am strongly against a person going to Bible college if they have not studied the Word of God on their own for at least a couple of years with God in prayer (Whereby they are comfortable with what the Word says on their own). The teachers at Bible school can put unbiblcial thoughts into a person's head that are simply not true (Whereby it can make one deny the plainness speech that is written within their own Bible).

Anyways, Nazarites and priests were specifically admonished strongly not to partake of any wine. They are examples of people who are holy. But are we not to all be holy, too? Are we not all to live right before God and pick up our cross and deny ourselves and follow Jesus? Or are we to follow Jesus with a bottle in our hand? In fact, there are warnings in the OT that I have provided out of the 21 (within my list) that you simply are just ignoring. Wine bites like a seprent. How can you ignore that verse or re-interpret it in such a way as saying "I can drink alcohol"? Surely the Bible talks of two different kinds of wines. Unfermented or fermented. There are also two different kinds of "new wines" mentioned in the Bible, too. The unfermented version of the "new wine" is mentioned in Isaiah 65:8. For it says the "new wine" is found within the cluster of the grape. The other fermented version of the "new wine" is mentioned in Acts 2:13. So one has to be a good Berean and investigate this for themselves. Start reading articles from other believers that have made these kinds of distinctions. Pray about it and search the Scriptures for yourself. Confirm the truth by comparing Scripture with Scripture.

So far, I just see you trying to justify a pleasure and glazing over clear texts that ignore the warnings on alcohol in God's Word.
But you can believe whatever you want to believe.
Just know that you will have to answer to God one day for your beliefs and actions.
Would not the safer play be to abstain and love the Lord instead (even if you thought drinking a drug was lawful)?
Would it not be more loving to caution your fellow brothers and sisters about a drug that takes lives every several minutes?
Wouldn't it be good and loving to warn them of the dangers of addiction to such a drug instead of promoting it as being okay?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CaptainToad

Feb 7, 2015
✟13,139.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well, no offense, but I am strongly against a person going to Bible college if they have not studied the Word of God on their own for at least a couple of years with God in prayer (Whereby they are comfortable with what the Word says on their own). The teachers at Bible school can put unbiblcial thoughts into a person's head that are simply not true (Whereby it can make one deny the plainness speech that is written within their own Bible).

Anyways, Nazarites and priests were specifically admonished strongly not to partake of any wine. They are examples of people who are holy. But are we not to all be holy, too? Are we not all to live right before God and pick up our cross and deny ourselves and follow Jesus? Or are we to follow Jesus with a bottle in our hand? In fact, there are warnings in the OT that I have provided out of the 21 (within my list) that you simply are just ignoring. Wine bites like a seprent. How can you ignore that verse or re-interpret it in such a way as saying "I can drink alcohol"? Surely the Bible talks of two different kinds of wines. Unfermented or fermented. There are also two different kinds of "new wines" mentioned in the Bible, too. The unfermented version of the "new wine" is mentioned in Isaiah 65:8. For it says the "new wine" is found within the cluster of the grape. The other fermented version of the "new wine" is mentioned in Acts 2:13. So one has to be a good Berean and investigate this for themselves. Start reading articles from other believers that have made these kinds of distinctions. Pray about it and search the Scriptures for yourself. Confirm the truth by comparing Scripture with Scripture.

So far, I just see you trying to justify a pleasure and glazing over clear texts that ignore the warnings on alcohol in God's Word.
But you can believe whatever you want to believe.
Just know that you will have to answer to God one day for your beliefs and actions.
Would not the safer play be to abstain and love the Lord instead (even if you thought drinking a drug was lawful)?
Would it not be more loving to caution your fellow brothers and sisters about a drug that takes lives every several minutes?
Wouldn't it be good and loving to warn them of the dangers of addiction to such a drug instead of promoting it as being okay?

So you are strongly against?
I dont know what to say.

Honestly it seems to me that you believe your opinion and understanding is the ultimate one and if anyone disagress with you they are simply wrong no matter what.
Do you even have room for disagreement?
Do you know all the answers?

Reactions: AlexDTX
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In 2 Corinthians 3:6, Paul was talking about the Old Testament Law (and not all law whatsoever). The New Testament did not abolish all forms of Law. The Scriptures say the Law has changed (Hebrews 7:12) (Which took place at Christ's death with the temple veil being torn). Meaning, the New Covenant Laws or Commands have superceded (or replaced) the Commands or Laws in the Old Testament (When the covenants changed with Christ's death). Christians are not lawless individuals. For Jesus Himself said to certain false believers to depart from him because they worked lawlessness
Jason,
It is the job of the Holy Spirit to transform lives. We are messengers only. I told you I agree with you regarding the danger of alcohol and that I am a teetotaler myself. However, I am teetotaler because I don't like the effect of alcohol on me. The power of the Scriptures is not in the text itself, but in the Holy Spirit who makes the text alive. You use Scripture like a machine gun. Your posts will change only those who the Holy Spirit speaks to.

When I first became a believer with the new birth 30 years ago, I immediately threw out my coffee, inappropriate content and pot. Six months later I felt fatigue so much that I began drinking coffee again. I also began to drink so much that one morning I woke up with a severe head ache. I groaned, O God, I have a head ache. I was not intentionally praying only lamenting. However the Lord spoke to me and said, "You chose to". That was it. But the Word of the Lord is pure as silver refined in fire seven times. Those three words were pregnant with meaning that I understood immediately. First, He had delivered me from drinking coffee and my resumption consumption was my choice. Second, I have the freedom in Christ to consume what ever I want with out condemnation from God or others. Third, if I am stupid enough to drink coffee to the point of getting a headache, then I was not to complain to God for my choice.

You have not attacked anyone as far as from what I have read, but your use of the Scriptures puts readers off. People want to talk out their views in forums, not be inundated with Scriptures. To paraphrase Jesus, The Scriptures were made for man, not man for the Scriptures. Anyone can cut and paste verses into a forum. Such use should be poignant and brief to make a point - not to make your case. You had stated your case many times, but you continue in the vain belief that you are helping God, but you are not. No one helps God. He helps us. If He is not helping us, then we should stop doing what we are doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainToad
Upvote 0