John Fleck

Sep 14, 2016
Indiana
✟7,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There is nothing in the Bible that says you can't drink in moderation. Being raised Adventist I was taught different. Now that I am ex SDA, I have done a lot of research on the matter and the bible does not prohibit drinking in moderation. For those of you interested in alcohol but afraid you will burn in a lake of fire for drinking, never fear because now its ok.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing in the Bible that says you can't drink in moderation. Being raised Adventist I was taught different. Now that I am ex SDA, I have done a lot of research on the matter and the bible does not prohibit drinking in moderation. For those of you interested in alcohol but afraid you will burn in a lake of fire for drinking, never fear because now its ok.
In fact, it was always OK. :)

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Jesus drank wine, so I think it would be rather difficult to argue that it is a sin to drink alcohol, but I nevertheless think that there are good reasons to encourage abstinence, especially when considering how many people have had their lives and the lives of their family ruined and/or cut short due to the influence of alcohol. Most people think that they can control their drinking when they start, and while there are a number of people who can, that often sadly does not turn out to be the case.

Upvote 0

Stillicidia

Revanche Flower
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2016
Mystic Meadows
✟11,021.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Constitution
This can be referred to in the bible:
It says don't drink wine unless your heart is heavy
It says don't drink beer unless you're prepared to die

This can't hardly be a direct quote from the bible:
People called Jesus a winebibber, the wine Jesus would drink was heavenly wine, which has no impairment, water to wine, he made it into heavenly wine, which has no loss of soberness.

Soberness is very important in the bible, saying keep all soberness.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
People called Jesus a winebibber, the wine Jesus would drink was heavenly wine, which has no impairment, water to wine, he made it into heavenly wine, which has no loss of soberness.

Wine is Earthly, made by men....not heavenly. Jesus drank normal wine with alcohol in it but he simply drank in moderation.

Upvote 0

John Fleck

Sep 14, 2016
Indiana
✟7,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This can be referred to in the bible:
It says don't drink wine unless your heart is heavy
It says don't drink beer unless you're prepared to die

This can't hardly be a direct quote from the bible:

Soberness is very important in the bible, saying keep all soberness.

What proof do you have that it was "heavenly"? They did not have refrigeration back in those days and to say they made it fresh would be crazy. How do you think it was stored to prevent fermenting?

Upvote 0

Stillicidia

Revanche Flower
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2016
Mystic Meadows
✟11,021.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Constitution
Wine is Earthly, made by men....not heavenly. Jesus drank normal wine with alcohol in it but he simply drank in moderation.

I'm saying he did not drink earthly wine with alcohol in it made by men.

What proof do you have that it was "heavenly"? They did not have refrigeration back in those days and to say they made it fresh would be crazy. How do you think it was stored to prevent fermenting?

I told you it isn't hardly supported by scripture, except how should you figure Jesus would drink wine in the first place if the bible says not to do it if you aren't in heaviness?

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm saying he did not drink earthly wine with alcohol in it made by men.

When he created wine Himself, it was considered "the best of all the wines."
It's hard to imagine that it was without alcohol then.
Also Paul mentioned that the church was considered drunk with wine
because they were acting oddly. If they only served NA wine such
criticism wouldn't happen.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟903,875.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
There's a very thin line for many people, and I can understand why.

Drinking is not a sin. Drunkenness is.

Many people argue, and nowadays I tend to agree, that it's perhaps best not to flirt with the line between not drunk and drunk, because in order to find that limit, you often times need to reach it(therefore sinning).

But no, principally speaking drinking beer is not a sin; drunkenness is the sin.

Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is proof
80 proof?

standarddrinkmedium1.jpg

Reactions: tatteredsoul
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟903,875.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
That is proof

That is not proof.

Nothing in Scripture remotely comes close to supporting your assertion.

I don't know why you struggle with the concept of Christ drinking alcoholic beverages. Scripture clearly states that drunkenness is the sin. Drinking is not a sin.

To use an analogy, you're equating slapping someone around the face with attempted murder.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I realize that drunkenness is the sin and not merely having a drink, but I'm a teetotaler anyway. There are two reasons for this. One is that I don't want to get addicted to alcohol, which is possible by "playing" with it. The other is because of my Christian witness. In my circles, drinking at all is considered by many to be a bad witness, and I don't want to cause another to stumble. So while I'm free to take the occasional drink I'll gladly give up that freedom for the sake of my testimony.

Upvote 0

DerekJM

Apr 29, 2016
Maitland-Newcastle Diocese Australia
✟16,747.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Labor
Drinking is perfectly acceptable as far as I am concerned, and what constitutes drunk is very subjective.
I have never regarded it, or felt it as a sin, and not about to start now.
These days have taken a liking to Guinness, must be my Irish Catholic roots!
There is some propensity to alcoholism in my family, and biologically this is the only reason I try to control it.

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Kristen Johnson

Sep 2, 2016
San Diego
Visit site
✟7,750.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I grew up in a family that was completely against alcohol. I think in moderation it doesn't matter. I have chosen not to partake of alcohol, but not because it's a sin. For me, it could be a sin because I lack control when I drink. So, that's just me, but not for everyone.

Upvote 0