Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Ok, I've heard it said and read it a few times recently, Baptists claiming to hear from God in their dreams. Since when do Baptists act like charismatics and hear from God in their dreams, isn't the revealed will of God in the 66 books of the Bible enough? This is a downgrade in theology, is it not?

Yours in the Lord,

jm

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Ok, I've heard it said and read it a few times recently, Baptists claiming to hear from God in their dreams. Since when do Baptists act like charismatics and hear from God in their dreams, isn't the revealed will of God in the 66 books of the Bible enough? This is a downgrade in theology, is it not?

Yours in the Lord,

jm
(Heb 1:1) God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

(Heb 1:2) Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
God speaks to us in and through the Son who is the Word, John1:1.

Peter saw Christ transfigured on the mount and actually heard the voice of the Father but he tells up that the Scriptures are to be more trusted than even what we see or hear.

(2Pe 1:16) For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

(2Pe 1:17) For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

(2Pe 1:18) And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.

(2Pe 1:19) We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

(2Pe 1:20) Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

(2Pe 1:21) For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Those claim to see visions and dreams and follow them are deluded at best.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
twin, that's an excellent summary of the Baptist and therefore scriptural view of the authority of the word of God. I think many Baptists have been subject to the influence of charismatic teaching. Sad really.
The fact is that those who claim to see the Lord Jesus in dreams and visions rarely, if ever, say that they fell on their face before God but all who saw Him before and after His coming into the world and then being raised to sit on the throne of glory always fell on their faces before Him. If you actually do see Him you will fall on your face before Him not walk beside Him as though He is your buddy.

Upvote 0

John Robie

Just checking in.
Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟32,545.00
Faith
Christian

Yours in the Lord,

jm
You cannot dispute a dream. It makes them unimpeachable.

Reactions: mikedsjr
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,552.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
You cannot dispute a dream. It makes them unimpeachable.

Yup. That’s the problem with all of these “mystical” type experiences. The one having them supersedes outside authority including the Bible.

Reactions: mikedsjr
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Yup. That’s the problem with all of these “mystical” type experiences. The one having them supersedes outside authority including the Bible.
What! You expect me to bow to the Scriptures instead of what I think I may have seen? Unthinkable. :)

Reactions: John Robie
Upvote 0