Douay Rheims Bible vs 1769 King James Version Bible

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Purchase this:
Douay%20Rheims%20Bible-07.jpg

And this Catechism:

1419xl.png

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
D-R is one of the few words that in the new testament correctly translates words. For example, it uses words like heresy, schism, priest [instead of merely "elder" "Presbyter*" or even "overseer."]. And Bishop as well. The Latin Vulgate is one of the most accurate and well-conserved from errors of the Biblical texts thus preserved. It is generally more well preserved from error than most Greek texts.

See: Douay-Rheims Bible Online, 1989 Preface From the Tan Books Printing

*And yes, it may technically be an English word; however, it is a transliteration that primarily gives the implication of a Protestant minister; hence why in English priest is more preferable and accurate translation, to my view.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Recently someone recommended that I read the Douay Rheims Bible as it is a Catholic Bible and free from Protestant "bias". (If there is any)
Good advice and yes there is. Protestant Bible Society have worked to remove everything "Catholic" they could from all Protestant Bibles.

Now I want to know what you think I should do. I know that in the end the version of the bible you read does not *necessarily* matter but what would you prefer?

It does matter. Read here:
Scripture, Divine Revelation
and here
Authorized Version - Original Catholic Encyclopedia

King James was James I of England (James VI of Scotland). He did not write the King James Version (KJV) of the Bible that bears his name. He commissioned scholars to create a new translation of the Bible in English and authorized the resulting translation (which is why the KJV is sometimes called simply the Authorized Version).
In January 1604, King James I of England convened the Hampton Court Conference where a new English version was conceived in response to the perceived "Catholic" problems of the earlier translations as detected by the Puritans,a faction within the Church of England.
James gave the translators instructions intended to guarantee that the new version would conform to the ecclesiology and reflect the episcopal structure of the Church of England and its beliefs about an ordained clergy.
In May 1606, Parliament passed the Popish Recusants Act which could require any citizen to take an Oath of Allegiance denying the Pope's authority over the king.

English translations of the Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you think I should read the Douay Rheims instead of the KJV, and if so then why? I also want to pick up the RCC Catechism book too. Are there any specific versions of that I should look out for?

This Church uses the NAB and approves of the DRB Challoner, 1966 Jerusalem and the RSV-CE.

The RSV-CE (New Testament) Catholic Study Bible recently released is the best on the market for both readability, study and price at only $15:
Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament RSV 2nd Edition

It is beautifully printed by Ignatius press which I can attest to as I just got one myself and have both a hard cover and flexible leather copy of their first and second editions.

The latest edition of the CCC is the only one you need as its comprehensive. You can get it for about $9-$20.

The NAB, RCV-CE, DR (Bishop Challoner) and CCC are all available for free online.

NAB (Vatican)
Holy Bible (RSV-CE)
Holy Bible (Douay Rheims)
Holy Bible Commentary (Haydock)
Holy Bible (New Jerusalem)

Daily Reading (USCCB NAB)
Daily Reading (alternate)
Daily Reading (alternate)
The Lectionary Website
The Catena Aurea (commentary by St Thomas Aquinas)
Catholic Concordance
Hermeneutics (how to read the Bible)

Catechism of the Catholic Church (Vatican)
Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church (Vatican)
Catechism of the Catholic Church (easily searchable)
Catechism of the Catholic Church (USCCB)

Upvote 0