Don't trust God anymore

I have lost not only all my hope and much faith, but I realize I don't trust God
anymore. I'm afraid to trust him. I'm afraid to reach out to him.
Perhaps I have had the wrong views and values as a Christian.
How do I change my relationship with God? How do I see things in a different light?
In truth, It's hard for me to read the Bible or listen to preachers anymore. I've become distant from all this as a defense mechanism. I still repent of sins and ask his forgiveness but nothing beyond that.
How do I re-establish a relationship with God in the right way?

Reactions: brinny

Cernunnos

Well. . .
May 28, 2014
Faith
✟16,330.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First, recognize that in truth, God is ultimately trustworthy. It is fact. It is possible that you have suffered some disappointment, or some prayer has not been answered in the way that you had hoped. . . . that happens. When that happens, it isn't God who has been untrustworthy, but a consequence. Perhaps hope for a wrong outcome, perhaps prayer for something that has to go another way for a greater good, perhaps a consequence of sin. . . . sometimes totally unrelated. The world is a broken place. When a child is paralyzed because a drunk driver hit its parent's car, the child suffers as a result of the sin of the drunk . . . . the Bible only says the wages of sin is death, it never says that death will be limited to the sinner. So in this broken world, it is God you can turn to & trust . . . but that doesn't mean that the world isn't still broken around you. So what is it? What has disappointed you?

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Usually when I loose truth in God it's one of two things. Either He didn't do what 'I' wanted Him to do or the world did something I didn't like. Either way this is always a good time to grow. If you ever really trust in God then you have to let Him be God even when it doesn't look like it's going to work out to your benefit. What usually helps me is..
John 6:68

New King James Version (NKJV)

68 But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.

Upvote 0

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have lost not only all my hope and much faith, but I realize I don't trust God
How do I change my relationship with God? How do I see things in a different light?
In truth, It's hard for me to read the Bible or listen to preachers anymore. I've become distant from all this as a defense mechanism. I still repent of sins and ask his forgiveness but nothing beyond that.
Ask God for His help in Jesus name....

Ask God to renew a right spirit within you and
to create a clean heart within you so that you won't blame God.

Jesus was God in the flesh who came and did only good and spoke
only the truth and people hated Him and lied against Him and tortured
Him and crucified Him to death.

So when preachers fail and do not point us to Christ but to
themselves, WHY DO YOU BLAME GOD?

Even the religious leaders of Christ's day hated Him and wanted
the people to follow them and not Jesus.

So when people in the world fail to do what is right, WHY DO YOU BLAME GOD?

Jesus spoke the truth when He said that if you follow Him the world will
hate you and you will have many trials and tribulations. Jesus said
that if the world treated Him so badly, how can we who follow Him
expect to go through life without any trouble or trials?

Don't blame God, blame this fallen world where people do not lay their lives
down in service to Christ and others but instead demand that others serve
and follow them as they do what they think is God's will.

Don't blame God who gave all of Himself and all that He has as He became
a man and told us face to face that He loves us and wants us to be with
Him forever if we will not call Him a liar but instead believe in Him as
the savior Jesus Christ who is the savior of all who will trust in Him.

So apologize to Christ for your sin of unbelief and ask Him to fill you
with His spirit instead of being filled with the spirit of this fallen world
that denies God and calls Him a liar.

Hebrews 3:12
Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God;

You are calling God a liar because He says that He is trustworthy and you say that He is not...

Psalm 32:10
Many are the woes of the wicked, but the Lord’s unfailing love surrounds the one who trusts in him.

Perhaps these two books will help you...
Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer and
Absolute Surrender by Andrew Murray.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

I have lost not only all my hope and much faith, but I realize I don't trust God I don't think most Christians really trust God or they wouldn't keep trying to control everything
anymore. I'm afraid to trust him. I'm afraid to reach out to him. Whats the worst that happens? He says He is faithful to the faithless
Perhaps I have had the wrong views and values as a Christian. YEP... we all do. None of us has it all, its part of God's plan..
How do I change my relationship with God? How do I see things in a different light? Allow yourself to love Him and be brutally honest about everything you just told us... tell Him. He already knows so you may as well discuss it with Him
In truth, It's hard for me to read the Bible or listen to preachers anymore. I've become distant from all this as a defense mechanism. I still repent of sins and ask his forgiveness but nothing beyond that. Thats the result of your pulling away bc you don't think God loves you and will forgive your sin...He doesn't pull away from us but He allows us to walk away from Him... He won't force Himself on you
Ask for forgiveness... and for the Lord to fill you with His Holy Spirit, find fellowship and commit your life to Him and your death... we need to die in order to live...

Don't be afraid to know the joy of the Lord it is our strength... God bless, andrea

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

why are you afraid to trust God? what do you fear?

the only way to change your relationship with God is to question everything you think you know about Him that isn't founded on His word, and believe what His word says about Him instead.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You need to meditate on what Jesus has already done for you.

He was bleeding on the cross..that blood paid for your sin. Think on Jesus heart that pumped all the blood in his body..he poured all that out for you. Could you ever do that for someone? Give up your life to save another? Would you trust someone who would do that for you? Jesus already has!
If you ever go to church and they have communion, and the offer bread and wine or grape juice you must partake of it in remembrance of him. And then thank him for it. That is his gift to us of salvation. That wine representing Jesus blood is a constant reminder that we are worthy to enter heaven.

We are only saved because of Jesus, not ourselves. His blood wipes away our sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why?
In truth, It's hard for me to read the Bible or listen to preachers anymore. I've become distant from all this as a defense mechanism.
Why?

Personally, I remembered what he saved me from, and prayed for help to love him again. I meant it, I was open. I even took a class at church on friendship with God when they were offering it. Eventually, I realized that God was right, and I acknowledged that he had never wronged me, so I had to make peace with what I had done, believed, and assumed that got me there.

Upvote 0
I don't know how to explain it.
I always believed the teachings of prosperity. That the faithful would be rewarded in due season and God wanted to heal all that was sick. I've been sick so long, I forgot what health feels like. I have in fact gotten sicker in the last several years.
The bad things in my life vastly overshadows the good. this isn't the glass is half empty/half full things - it's just being honest.
I became angry at God years ago when I became even sicker and was in a LOT of pain all the time. I didn't have the money to go to the doctor. I prayed for it, but God didn't help me (I finally got the money by stopping tithe). I pulled away from him.
Let me make it clear though - the illness is not a result of a sin a I committed, nor are the constant negative events in my life.
I'm afraid to believe God for healing or anything that I really want or even need in life. I don't need to have my hopes dashed again.
(sorry, got to cut this post short. Hope it makes sense).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

I don't know how to explain this. I was born into poverty in a broken and abusive home. I knew God though and always though "Some day he would help me have a better life." I'll mention briefly that ever sense I was a child, if I ever got my hopes up for anything or an opportunity to some sort of *treat* in life, at the last moment, something would happen to make me lose it. Something that never changed all my life. This happened WAY too often to be called coincidence. (I mentioned this in an earlier

I really feel for you. I came from poor a family that was also very dysfunctional. It took a lot but I have broken the cycle of abuse and the cycle of poverty.
I don't believe the Lord is getting your hopes up for something and then laughing when everything goes wrong. There is nothing in scripture that supports that from God. I would suggest doing some research on generational curses. Derek Prince has some excellent teachings... and its not difficult to break them if you're willing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_uTl95SR7I&list=PLE0A39803DFA3E52A

God bless, andrea

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, the prosperity gospel is wrong. God does want to prosper your soul, but not in the way the prosperity gospel preachers teach. You cannot buy your health, or tithe your way to blessing.

Have a look what the bible says about sickness..remember the story of Job, it wasn't God who struck him with boils, it was Satan. Job didn't know why he was sick, but he knew not to blame God. God allowed it because Job was righteous and he knew that he was faithful and even if he lost his family and health he would not curse God. Job struggled with what happened but you know in the end, he saw God and guess what God did..he restored DOUBLE everything back.

In the new testament, Jesus healed everyone that was sick and afflicted of the devil. He never blamed God for all these people that were sick, he was fighting against Satan.
WHen he poured out his blood for us on the cross, he asked we eat and drink in remembrance of him and what he did, because sin and sickness is from the devil. Paul wrote that those who take the Lords Supper unworthily will get sick if they don't understand the high price Jesus paid for their souls.

James also wrote that if you are sick, you must ask for the elders to pray with you and lay hands on you and anoint you, because the prayers of the faithful righteous will bring healing, and your sins forgiven.

Repent of believing in the prosperity teachings. Put your faith in Jesus, not the teachings of men. Jesus took all the curses upon himself when he died on the cross. So you need to ask him to deliver you from any curse. He has a place prepared for you in heaven. In this life we will have much tribulation and trial. But we have eternal treasures in heaven. Hold on to that promise and he will bring you his peace.

Remember Job didn't nag God into healing his boils. He was in lots of pain but he didn't focus on himself. He didn't pray for healing. He just wanted to Know God full stop.

Upvote 0

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I always believed the teachings of prosperity. That the faithful would be rewarded in due season and God wanted to heal all that was sick. I've been sick so long, I forgot what health feels like. I have in fact gotten sicker in the last several years.
The bad things in my life vastly overshadows the good. this isn't the glass is half empty/half full things - it's just being honest.
I became angry at God years ago when I became even sicker and was in a LOT of pain all the time. I didn't have the money to go to the doctor. I prayed for it, but God didn't help me (I finally got the money by stopping tithe). I pulled away from him.
Let me make it clear though - the illness is not a result of a sin a I committed, nor are the constant negative events in my life.
I'm afraid to believe God for healing or anything that I really want or even need in life. I don't need to have my hopes dashed again.
So God gave you everything, Himself and all of who He is and eternal life
on top of it all and you turn away from Him when you don't get what
your want?

Jesus never taught that we would live forever in perfect health in this life.

So you would throw away God's love and offer of eternal life because
this world is imperfect, fallen, full of sorry, sickness and disease?

Are you hearing what you are saying?

Listen, we all are going to die so wouldn't it be better to cling
to God almighty who promises you a perfect life with Him or
would you rather complain and blame God and talk youself
out of the real life to come?

You atleast have a place of shelter and food to eat, some do not have
even this as they are so poor they have no place of shelter or food to eat.

This world is corrupt and fallen so don't blame God.

Jesus said that we are to pray that God's will would be done on the earth
as it is in heaven because God's perfect will isn't done on the earth.

Faith moves God, not accusation so you are defeating yourself on two
fronts when you pull away from God and blame Him for all that is wrong.

It is your choice...turn away from evil unbelief or let it rob
you of all of God's blessing now and in the future...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry to hear that. My struggle with that came from dabbling in prosperity teaching too, it was the name-it-claim-it garbage. I had to stop holding God responsible for something that he never promised. We can't make God do our bidding by mustering up enough of what we call faith. What we need to do is embrace him for who he is, counting on him for what he actually did promise us. There's still plenty of that, though we may need to count the blessings he has already given us in order to see it.

Upvote 0

ezeric

HE loves me too.
Mar 2, 2010
Canada but really in JESUS! (in HIS Covenant)
Visit site
✟12,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You need a new GOD!

Maybe when you stopped tithing and that resulted in you with the money (so something worked) to go to the doctor….then that might make you think that you have the wrong idea of how GOD works WITHOUT tithing…

In other words tithing DID NOT work but something good happened when you stopped.

And maybe you've got many wrong ideas about GOD.
A dangerous but powerful prayer is to ask HIM to show HIMSELF to you no matter the cost.

I am not trying to be rude to you, I mean every word I am saying.

I had to scratch and give up MOST of what I thought GOD was like, to really get to know HIM. And HE is so much better than I thought I knew HIM!

-eric

Upvote 0
So God gave you everything, Himself and all of who He is and eternal life
on top of it all and you turn away from Him when you don't get what
your want?

Jesus never taught that we would live forever in perfect health in this life.

So you would throw away God's love and offer of eternal life because
this world is imperfect, fallen, full of sorry, sickness and disease?

Are you hearing what you are saying?

Listen, we all are going to die so wouldn't it be better to cling
to God almighty who promises you a perfect life with Him or
would you rather complain and blame God and talk youself
out of the real life to come?

You atleast have a place of shelter and food to eat, some do not have
even this as they are so poor they have no place of shelter or food to eat.

This world is corrupt and fallen so don't blame God.

Jesus said that we are to pray that God's will would be done on the earth
as it is in heaven because God's perfect will isn't done on the earth.

Faith moves God, not accusation so you are defeating yourself on two
fronts when you pull away from God and blame Him for all that is wrong.

It is your choice...turn away from evil unbelief or let it rob
you of all of God's blessing now and in the future...

Forgive me, but I am tired of people with that Holier than thou attitude.
You don't know it all. I have gone without anything to eat because I had no money to buy food. I've been sick without medicine.
My health..Pal Handy, what is the sickest you've been? What's the worst pain you have gone through? Are you in a position to judge me? Do you recall having the flu? If you can, imagine it 10 times worst and never going away. Think of laying on your back so weak you could not get up and your entire body hurt (like the flu). Imagine feeling like this for years.
I know that it was the devil who made me sick, but I don't know why God hasn't made me well. I KNOW I did not commit a sin that made me sick. After years of trying to get well - by the way (I've been sick for 20 yrs.), a few yrs ago, I got even sicker. This time the pain was intensified so that I could not sleep even taking Ambien. I was too weak to get out of bed, but in too much pain to sleep. This is why I was angry at God, it was just more than I could bare. I'm on Gabapentin and Tramadol for the pain. I have 2 muscle relaxant and Ambien just to help me sleep. Even so, the meds only help ease the symptoms, not get rid of them all together.
As for the roof over my head. I've had a dream since I was a child. We moved all the time when I was growing up. I wanted a place in the country so very much, a place I would not have to move away from, one that was my own - really my own, until God took me. I also wanted a Christian husband, another dream - my mother had so many men in her life when I was a kid, I wanted 1 person, a sincere Christian man who truly loved God.
Well, I tried for both the home and the man with a good level headed approach. I was saving all my money for a home and tried to meet men that were Christians(I was terribly lonely then). Well, the illness took my money and being ill, I couldn't get out of bed, how was I suppose to look for a Christian husband.
I've had many roofs over my head - too many! My heart still hurts for a place set of in a quiet country setting, one that is mine to fix up as I please. Now, after the years of illness and for so long putting up with a ridiculing mother, I lost the desire to marry - I prefer my freedom.
I have a social disorder on top of it and couple with health problems - I don't have any friends.
I'm not trying to get pity at all, just understanding.
I just never understood why God didn't heal me.
Also, tithe wasn't about trying to buy anything from God, it was about putting God first with all that I had. I gave to other from what little I had because I though God wanted us to help each other!
How can I testify of God to anybody when they will look at me and think "If that is what being a Christian gets you, I don't want it."
Now, if you understand that I wasn't a selfish sinner all those years. This is the whole thing. Other Christians who feel they can preach at me have all these things I have long for and take them for granted.
I'm trying to move to Texas with a relative because the winters are milder than Missouri. I would take a shack or camper trailer on the desert if I had the chance. If it were mine and set off on land that was my own (even sand and clay).

As for the name it and claim it. I always thought people claim it then worked at getting it - IF it was in God's Will an line up with his Word. Them God would open a door for me.
I'm wagering that you are sitting at your computer surrounded by a lifestyle you take for granted - things that I could only dream of having. So don't try to judge me.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Forgive me, but I am tired of people with that Holier than thou attitude.
You don't know it all. I have gone without anything to eat because I had no money to buy food. I've been sick without medicine.
My health..Pal Handy, what is the sickest you've been? What's the worst pain you have gone through? Are you in a position to judge me? Do you recall having the flu? If you can, imagine it 10 times worst and never going away. Think of laying on your back so weak you could not get up and your entire body hurt (like the flu). Imagine feeling like this for years.
I know that it was the devil who made me sick, but I don't know why God hasn't made me well. I KNOW I did not commit a sin that made me sick. After years of trying to get well - by the way (I've been sick for 20 yrs.), a few yrs ago, I got even sicker. This time the pain was intensified so that I could not sleep even taking Ambien. I was too weak to get out of bed, but in too much pain to sleep. This is why I was angry at God, it was just more than I could bare. I'm on Gabapentin and Tramadol for the pain. I have 2 muscle relaxant and Ambien just to help me sleep. Even so, the meds only help ease the symptoms, not get rid of them all together.
As for the roof over my head. I've had a dream since I was a child. We moved all the time when I was growing up. I wanted a place in the country so very much, a place I would not have to move away from, one that was my own - really my own, until God took me. I also wanted a Christian husband, another dream - my mother had so many men in her life when I was a kid, I wanted 1 person, a sincere Christian man who truly loved God.
Well, I tried for both the home and the man with a good level headed approach. I was saving all my money for a home and tried to meet men that were Christians(I was terribly lonely then). Well, the illness took my money and being ill, I couldn't get out of bed, how was I suppose to look for a Christian husband.
I've had many roofs over my head - too many! My heart still hurts for a place set of in a quiet country setting, one that is mine to fix up as I please. Now, after the years of illness and for so long putting up with a ridiculing mother, I lost the desire to marry - I prefer my freedom.
I have a social disorder on top of it and couple with health problems - I don't have any friends.
I'm not trying to get pity at all, just understanding.
I just never understood why God didn't heal me.
Also, tithe wasn't about trying to buy anything from God, it was about putting God first with all that I had. I gave to other from what little I had because I though God wanted us to help each other!
How can I testify of God to anybody when they will look at me and think "If that is what being a Christian gets you, I don't want it."
Now, if you understand that I wasn't a selfish sinner all those years. This is the whole thing. Other Christians who feel they can preach at me have all these things I have long for and take them for granted.
I'm trying to move to Texas with a relative because the winters are milder than Missouri. I would take a shack or camper trailer on the desert if I had the chance. If it were mine and set off on land that was my own (even sand and clay).

As for the name it and claim it. I always thought people claim it then worked at getting it - IF it was in God's Will an line up with his Word. Them God would open a door for me.
I'm wagering that you are sitting at your computer surrounded by a lifestyle you take for granted - things that I could only dream of having. So don't try to judge me.

when i had terminal cancer 16 years ago, i too wondered why God didn't heal everyone. i had seen miracles, but how could i know i would get one?

if i put $1 million in a bank account with your name on it, and write you a letter telling you how to draw it out, i would have already given $1 million and made it available to you - but if you didn't believe me and follow my instructions, you could die a pauper with $1 million available for your use.

God doesn't save anyone today; He made salvation available at the cross, and people receive salvation by placing faith in His word and acting on His instructions.

God doesn't heal anyone today; He made healing available at the whipping post, and people receive healing by placing faith in His word and acting on His instructions.

this should help:

God Wants You Well - Audio Teaching - Andrew Wommack Ministries

You've Already Got It - Audio Teaching - Andrew Wommack Ministries

Truth Or Tradition | Faith Life Church - Branson, MO

Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

1hope, I can only put you in my prayers and plead mercy for you. IDK why some are healed and others not but I feel for you. Its sounds dreadful. Praying the lord put his hand on you and heal you of every disease and infirmity. Praying that doors open to find someone who knows what the problem is and will help. Praying for finances and a job that will help you pay your bills and what ever you do, remember there was never a tithe on wages.
Make your giving (tithe), your praises to God in the midst of suffering.
God bless, andrea

Upvote 0