Don't Expect Gas Price Relief, Energy Dept. Says.

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You foreigners who tell us it isn't so bad or to deal with it or to adjust....you have to realize that for many/most of it isn't an option. America's entire social infrastructure is based on the ability to cheaply get from place to place. Homes, shopping outlets, and workplaces have been built far apart. There aren't enough places to live close to work, there isn't public transportation, its too far to ride a bike. Assuming (as I do) that gas keeps going up and stays up, America is going to go through a long, painful transition that most of all affects the less fortunate among us. We are completely ill prepared to face the prospect of expensive transportation and the roots of the problem were built not by those of us facing it (except perhaps the grandparents among us) but by those generations before. Once we had this setup and it worked, no one anticipated expensive fuel so no one changed it.

Upvote 0

gnine

Dec 12, 2002
Visit site
✟8,560.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
AU-Labor
Maynard Keenan said:
You foreigners who tell us it isn't so bad or to deal with it or to adjust....you have to realize that for many/most of it isn't an option. America's entire social infrastructure is based on the ability to cheaply get from place to place. Homes, shopping outlets, and workplaces have been built far apart. There aren't enough places to live close to work, there isn't public transportation, its too far to ride a bike. Assuming (as I do) that gas keeps going up and stays up, America is going to go through a long, painful transition that most of all affects the less fortunate among us. We are completely ill prepared to face the prospect of expensive transportation and the roots of the problem were built not by those of us facing it (except perhaps the grandparents among us) but by those generations before. Once we had this setup and it worked, no one anticipated expensive fuel so no one changed it.

Oh well... there's about zip you can do about petrol prices.

The world won't end, the economy will adjust, and your petrol is still cheap by world standards.

You could 1/2 (or more) your petrol bill right away by buying a car with a 1.5 litre engine, rather than a 5 litre one. And do something good for the environment as well!

Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
Maynard Keenan said:
Now that i've sold my car, i've discovered that there is really no need to drive 3 or 4 miles to Wal Mart or to the nearest shopping mall (in the big city) cause most everything i need can be found close to home. I love the little produce stand and taco stand just blocks from my house.

Upvote 0

JPPT1974

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
interpreter said:
Now that i've sold my car, i've discovered that there is really no need to drive 3 or 4 miles to Wal Mart or to the nearest shopping mall (in the big city) cause most everything i need can be found close to home. I love the little produce stand and taco stand just blocks from my house.

I betcha it is indeed very conveinant for you! I don't have a problem at all getting gas since I don't own a car. Thank goodness.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,123.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I drive 20,000 miles a year. At today's prices ($2.50 a gallon) I am probably spending about $50 a week on gas. My husband also drives about 20,000 miles a year, and spends about the same amount on gas.

We buy our gas at Sam's Club, using a rewards card that we pay off every month (that probably knocks off about 3 to 5 cents a gallon, depending on what reward card we use.)

I look at the long term solution as developing alternative sources of energy. I read yesterday that ethanol mix gasoline is now costing $.40 a gallon less in some states (it's not available where we live now.)

When I had lived in South Dakota I used ethanol mix gas all the time. It was a nickel a gallon less then, and 89 octane instead of 87.

This is what we need--ethanol, hybrids, the hydrogen fuel cell car....

When we need to replace our cars (2009 or so) I hope I will be able to get a new breed of car without paying the premium people currently pay for hybrids.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
TheBear said:
What are these gas prices like, compared with 1985 constant dollar value?

Pretty close to the same price at $2.53, as that equates to the $1.40 I paid as a college student in 1985.
http://minneapolisfed.org/Research/data/us/calc/index.cfm

As far as vehicle operation goes, depreciation costs and insurance are a much higher percentage of vehicle operation cost than fuel costs. In 2004, the average cost per mile to run a vehicle was $0.562/mile. Fuel costs at $3/gallon for a vehicle averaging 25 mpg are only $0.12/mile.

Even at $6/gallon, the fuel costs are only $0.24/mile, still much less than insurance and depreciation.

It makes me wonder if gas prices are a real problem, with the incredible volume of cars sold over the last 2 months. Now, if one is financially strapped with new car payments, the additional fuel costs could be problematic. Otoh, thats a choice people made, just as they choose to drive long distances. 80 years ago, people chose to live where the jobs were, now they choose where they want to live, and don't care about commuting costs. Its the same with depreciation and insurance, people choose to pay a fortune for those, yet its rare they complain, even though its the largest cost, it is generally hidden from view.

Ron

Upvote 0

StromRider

Feb 25, 2005
North Lauderdale, FL
✟129,264.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When I moved to Louisville, KY from Calgary and took the bus to work people thought I was crazy. Professional men just don't take public transit!! Mind you I was very lucky in living on a good route, the system was much worse than Calgary's.

After moving to North Lauderdale I found the public transit system here absolutley unuseable. Truly only the poor and/or desperate would rely on the system here. Real Americans drive their cars!!

Luckily my motorcycle is still only about $14 to fill up at the current prices and I can go to work for two weeks on that. The woman who pays $60/week plus tolls hates me :)

Upvote 0

JPPT1974

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
SpaceProg said:
A lot of people aren't blessed with that kind of convenience.

Well I kind of wished that I did have a car to go places like the library or the bookstores.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
billwald said:
>There aren't enough places to live close to work, <

Get a motor home and live in the parking lot where you work. Go home on weekends.

I know a lot of construction guys that do that. Even a couple physician friends have lived in campers during their residency. Unorthodox yes, but very practical, if you can't afford driving, or the costs of housing at one's work location.

Ron

Upvote 0