Don't Expect Gas Price Relief, Energy Dept. Says.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
With pump prices flirting with $3 a gallon in many parts of the country, the Energy Department is telling motorists to get used to it.

Undersecretary David Garman said there's little that can be done in the short term, made worse by what he calls "thin capacity margins."

Garman said prices will not decline quickly, even though there may be some moderating after the summer driving season.

http://www.kirotv.com/automotive/4856975/detail.html

ClaireZ

Senior Veteran
Apr 29, 2004
USA
✟12,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree that Americans are spoiled, and that we should be driving smaller cars, and should try to drive less.

However, the price is changing so fast here, and people are not prepared for these changes. Many areas have no public transportation. Most people have more debt than they can afford. They live paycheck to paycheck. These people are going to be in serious trouble with this rapid rise in oil prices, especially this winter when the heating bills start to hit.

I guess all but the rich and upper middle class will have to learn to live alot cheaper.

Upvote 0

theeyesoftammyfaye

no parking baby - no parking on the dance floor
Nov 18, 2003
Austin, TX
Visit site
✟18,673.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
you all have to realise though, that driving smaller cars really isn't an option for some of us. for example, my father has a range rover (which gets terrible gas mileage), but it can almost decently fit all of us (for extremely long drives, it can feel a bit close-quartered.) my brother and i are both 6'3, my dad's pretty tall himself...and don't forget my mother and my sister. so, when the family wants to go out to dinner, for example, we couldn't all fit into a geo metro or even honda accord...it's absolutely not practical. what is our other option? drive two cars?

i, myself, drive a honda accord...and i have to have the driver's seat pushed all the way back, and the moonroof cover inside pulled back so i can "fit." i don't get NEAR the gas mileage promised when i bought my car...and please note, my car is considered "midsized" ... and i barely fit. so please realise that not everyone is 5'7 and can fit in a geo metro....there are those of us who HAVE to drive bigger cars because we are BIGGER.

Reactions: DieHappy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

billwald

Contributor
Oct 18, 2003
washington state
✟6,386.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why should retailers sell gas for less than people are willing to pay? No one knows what an American is willing to pay. I suspect retail sales will drop when it gets over $4/gal.

The real shock will be this fall to people who heat with oil. Heating oil is mostly #1 Diesel.

Upvote 0

Chuck_Darwin

Sep 21, 2002
Holland, Michigan
Visit site
✟1,023.00
Faith
Atheist
I don't like the gasoline prices but I think it is a good thing. It will force us to look more closely at our comsumption.

What really burns me is the Tax breaks that the current energy bill has in it for the gas and oil companies. They are having record profits and yet they are getting billions in tax breaks. That makes no sense at all. I thought this was a free market? Gas and Oil companies do not need subsidies from the tax payers.

Upvote 0

SpaceProg

Renegade Time Lord
Jan 27, 2004
Here and there. Mostly there.
✟10,195.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
US-Others
Also, driving is more of a luxury in Europe than the US. In Europe there are many more ways of getting around via mass transit. The mass transit systems in the US are horrible by comparison. Most people need a vehicle. It's even asked on job applications whether or not you have reliable transportation to get to work. I don't drive a boat of a car (I drive a Daewoo Leganza. It's good on gas too), but still It's more expensive to fill up than I'd like right now.

I agree, we're spoiled, but not quite as much as what I thing some Europeans believe. When you don't have a decent mass transit system and you can't afford to live right inside a town or city, then you really start to feel it when gas prices go up even to 2.50/Gallon.

Upvote 0

rosenherman

Sparkly rainbow butterfly kitten
Aug 25, 2004
Right coast
✟12,972.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Republican
Osel said:
Wasn't a big deal made a while back about Bush practically begging at the Saudi's feet for more/cheaper gas? And didn't they grant his request?

Petrol is something like $3 a liter in Europe. Americans are spoiled. Drive smaller cars.
America's a bigger country, we've got more places to go.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
Chuck_Darwin said:
I don't like the gasoline prices but I think it is a good thing. It will force us to look more closely at our comsumption.
Amen, brother. High gas prices don't bother me cause i don't own a car.

If the high gas prices result in less gas guzzlers on the road (and less greenhouse gasses) it is a very good development that may save the earth!

Upvote 0

OhhJim

Often wrong, but never in doubt
Aug 19, 2004
Walnut Creek, CA
✟6,051.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Trogdor the Burninator said:
Well, Australia’s just as big as the US ( not counting Alaska ), and we somehow manage to survive without the massive SUVs and pickups that Americans "need". :D

Yeah, many Americans have somehow convinced themselves that they can't live without a gas-guzzling SUV, and it's their God-given right to buy cheap gas. Like they have to have an auto that seats eight for their two kids!

I'm almost enjoying the gas prices. Serves 'em right for blocking my line of sight with their huge car! And not being able to park!

There are alternatives, but people won't find them until they are forced to. Then they will find that living in a smaller home closer to work isn't so bad, or riding a bike is healthy, or public transportation has its advantages, or carpooling can be social, etc.

Upvote 0

Yamialpha

Celeritas
Oct 5, 2004
✟2,914.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OhhJim said:
Yeah, many Americans have somehow convinced themselves that they can't live without a gas-guzzling SUV, and it's their God-given right to buy cheap gas. Like they have to have an auto that seats eight for their two kids!

Hey with the size of American kids today...

Upvote 0