tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Using words you don't understand the history of, how bad could that be?
http://time.com/4544562/donald-trump-supporters-lugenpresse/
Supporters of GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump have begun to use an old German word—once invoked by Nazis and now currently in vogue with far-right political activists in Germany—to attack American media covering his campaign.

The phrase is “Lügenpresse,” which means “lying press.” The phrase rose to infamy during the Nazi era and was resurrected in 2014 as a watchword with Germany’s anti-immigrant activists who wanted the media to “tell the truth” about refugees in their country—most of whom were Muslim refugees fleeing from war-torn areas caught in the middle of the ISIS conflict
:sigh:
tulc(wonders, what could go wrong?) :sorry:

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
http://time.com/4544562/donald-trump-supporters-lugenpresse/

:sigh:
tulc(wonders, what could go wrong?) :sorry:
But - but - but ... dirty foreigners. As this is the guy who thought that Paris is in Germany, I doubt he came up with that word on his own. He and his ilk are just like those Americans I see signing off with "chow" (for ciao) or, real classics for me, "or revoire" or "voyla." <Shudder> I once went about 3 pages with an English-only speaking American who insisted that he knew more about my own language than I do. SMDH.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The press is lying, he is not wrong about that. Is this a specific phrase or just the translation of "lying press" and it just happens to be German so people associate it with the Nazis?
seen this? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...npresse-a-nazi-slur-shouted-at-a-trump-rally/
Its history is even worse, though.

The term emerged way before the Nazis took over in Germany. For instance, the German Defense Ministry released a book titled “The Lügenpresse of Our Enemies” in 1918 during World War I. According to the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung newspaper, the term was coined by Reinhold Anton in 1914. In books, Anton used the term mainly in a foreign context to refer to “enemy propaganda.” It is unclear whether Anton was a pseudonym.

At that time, the word was used more descriptively. A decade later, it had turned into an explosive and stigmatizing propaganda slogan, used to stir hatred against Jews and communists. Critics of Adolf Hitler's regime were frequently referred to as members of the “Lügenpresse apparatus.”
tulc(hopes that helps) :wave:

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or this could be paid trolls at the rally shouting out these slogans. We don't know. Such reports are election year yellow journalism.

Yes the Left has conspiracy theorists too. :)
I actually did think about that, it does however bring up another question which I alluded to in the OP:
I sort of suspect the guy in the hat may well be a plant, but that guy next to him? He's eating that stuff up with a spoon. :wave:
tulc(has no patience for people who scream things at others when they have no real idea what they're doing/saying) :sigh:

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟276,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Its history is even worse, though.

The term emerged way before the Nazis took over in Germany. For instance, the German Defense Ministry released a book titled “The Lügenpresse of Our Enemies” in 1918 during World War I. According to the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung newspaper, the term was coined by Reinhold Anton in 1914. In books, Anton used the term mainly in a foreign context to refer to “enemy propaganda.” It is unclear whether Anton was a pseudonym.

What's so bad about that? The British press in World War I told all sorts of lies about Germany, some of which helped influence the US to enter the war.

It was recently revived by PEGIDA, which has done indispensable work in organizing resistance to Merkel's diabolical immigration policy.

"Lügenpresse" isn't a beautiful word? It's not a beautiful thing. However, if the shoe fits...

The Hammer of Witches said:
The press is lying, he is not wrong about that. Is this a specific phrase or just the translation of "lying press" and it just happens to be German so people associate it with the Nazis?

Lügenpresse simply means "lying press" in German. The popular PEGIDA chant today is "Halt die Fresse, Lügenpresse!" (Shut your mouth, lying press!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status